Aliens almost didn't get made because of the Brits' love of Tea

>James Cameron almost had a mutiny on his hands that threatened the entire production. Aliens was being shot in England at Pinewood Studios, who provided unionized workers to work on films that were being produced. Tensions began almost immediately, as the British crew was not fond of Cameron’s 14-hour days. Cameron was also confused by the British workers insistence on having tea breaks and Bill Paxton would later say that the workers would often head to the pub during lunch to down a few pints, likening the practice to if there were fully stocked bars on Hollywood sets. Ridley Scott also had slightly more respect because He was British and Cameron was American descent.

Really makes you think.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0JwAnMUavzA
numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>as the British crew was not fond of Cameron’s 14-hour days.
How the fuck is this even human?

Tea break also covers smoking, pissing and anything else you find to waste 20 minutes of the bosses day to be fair.

Lol, good point user.

Something similar happened to Kubrick.

youtube.com/watch?v=0JwAnMUavzA

These brit cunts refuse to work without their nasty tea.

>He was American descent.
he's a fucking canadian. he's part of the commonwealth. he's literally a britbong

Gee, who wouldn't love to work 14 hour days?

Still I understand OP's statement. Kinda of shows how weak and low stamina British people are.

>as the British crew was not fond of Cameron’s 14-hour days
Why are britbongs so weak?

this

Where do you think we get our banter skills from anyway? No wonder yanks have such a poor sense of humour, you're not allowed to do anything other than work

Also daily reminder productivity in the US is FAR below Western Europe

I think it's mostly that they don't suck each other off themselves like Americans do when it comes to labor. Americans love talking about how much they work, how little time they have to spend with their families, how taxing the job is on their bodies. As a casual observer it feels like a completely different world.

Maybe that's one of the reasons Americans don't live quite as long? It's got to at least be a factor, right?

I'm British and you make me feel sick

>where do you think we got our banter from

You ain't got no banter you retard

This is why the nips are our true greatest ally. No one will ever understand America like the country we bombed and then rebuilt from nothing

LMAO!

>MUH TEA BRAKES

Also Americans are better at taking care of their teeth :)

14 hour days are standard when you make a movie. That's why the U.S. film industry is heavily unionized for fair wages.

Productivity of what? America is a technology/product based economy. What is western Europe "out producing" us on?

>14 hour shifts

is this on alternating days or something? I can't imagine having to work 12+ hours for more than a few days straight

Fucking weakling...

No. See

This is untrue. Standard is 12 on 12 off.

They aren't bragging about working a lot, user, they are complaining

But it did get made and the tea breaks - which apparently played a part, hence the thread - helped to create one of the best action movies ever. NEXT!

western yurop's economy is shrinking, bud. the only economic powerhouse is germany

Standard for what field? It's not true in the film industry.

And how would you fucking know user??

I've heard a similar story with a movie shot in France. Forgot which movie it was though. Ring a bell with anyone?

Makes sense the French can't have a taxi strike without trying to rerun the revolution.

Because I'm a lowly PA.

Production Assistant? I'm confused.

guessing he means personal assistant

>he doesn't work 27 hours a day

>banter skills
>skills

Sure, Ameriboo.

Sure.

Meanwhile in America

You're working crap jobs then. I do G&E work with friends in local 728 and 80, and while the union offers rates for hourly, daily (8hrs), and weekly (40hrs), any reasonable commercial comp or narrative is gonna be based on a 12 on 12 off schedule. Anything beyond that and it gets into OT/Second Meal and production doesn't really want to deal with that.

Some Post houses work on a 12 hour day, but most are 10. No idea what pre-pro works, probably 8 hour days, the affluent bastards.

Why work your life away? To make money for people who will try and export our jobs anyway?

thats normal dude. when i was doing PA work on movies a few years back everyday would be basically a 12 hour workday.

Yes, production assistant. Living "the dream" here in Los Angeles.

Obvious Yank is obvious

Your burger is showing m8

Culture and civilisation

We gave the world Shakespeare, democracy, and the greatest pieces of classical music ever heard.

You gave us fast food, cheese in a can, aaaand...what again? Oh, that's right. Billy Ray Cyrus.

neat another PA angelino here.

dont do PA work anymore (work in Beer now lol) but last job i did was horrible bosses 2

Low stamina sure, but they can hold a camera and point it at whatever James Cameron wants. British people have been known to make movies historically speaking, so it should be possible at least.
Americans only recently have the concept of work/life balance, since the protestant work ethic told them that they should work all of the time, or they would go to hell.

Beer industry seems pretty cool. I complain but there's no way in hell I'd ever want to move back east. LA is the best city in the world as far as I'm concerned.

>Kinda of shows how weak and low stamina British people are.

That's why Hollywood is filled with british actors, directors, writers, cinematographers and composers that regularly outperform their american counterparts, because they're "weak" and "low stamina".

See, the thing is, the Brits don't make movies that way. They work normal working days.

>needing the government to write your contracts for you
Why is the rest of the world so shit at negotiating employment?

Film is an art that got corrupted and turned into a business by Jews.

There's still a lot of directors, and actors, that treat it like an art, and are willing to commit the time it takes to do the job right, regardless if it means filming all day and night. Sadly, they are forced to work with union scum that don't give a shit about the project and are just there for a paycheck.

I'll gladly take 14 hour shifts working on a great film. Sign me up.

Bro, you make me laugh.

Without unions they would be working 24/7, while mister Smecklestein counts the money they make for him.

sounds like they were acting like a bunch of amateurs, which makes sense because not a lot of movies are shot in the UK

>not a lot of movies are shot in the UK

yeah feel that. im from SF but cant afford to live there anymore.

moved here like 7 years ago and went straight into PA work. was getting consistent set and office PA work but after a couple years I got overwhelmed with it. the long days were a big factor and made me and my then live with gf have problems

so i quit and started a casual job in beer. do miss being on set though. even if it is fucking up a specific sandwich order from Lemonade and being yelled at by some cunt AD

>British crew was not fond of Cameron’s 14-hour days
Is there anyone in the world that's fond of 14-hour shifts? What the fuck, that's inhuman.

>Without unions they would be working 24/7

And?

How do you think Mr. Smecklestein has managed to eliminate competition and monopolize the industry? By employing UNIONS to harass the fuck out of anyone that doesn't use union labor, that's how. That's why there aren't more independent films, because it's harder to get the cash to pay union retards than it is to pay salary workers that will actually give a shit about their jobs.

you're right that was retarded of me to say, I take it back

They only work 3 months a year rather than 12.

Only in America.

In the US, it seems like everyone I know is on some pain Olympics shit. Every SINGLE PERSON, if I tell them it sucked working say, 6am to 4pm, then coming back at 10pm to cover a shift until 7am (24/hr restaurant), the response is ALWAYS the same
>that's nothing!!
>spins a story about working 48 hours straight

Every time

Wow. I must be lost. Is this Sup Forums?

Nice one m8

dont work in film then. thats pretty much standerd

>Only in America
>the most powerful nation on Earth
Really makes you think.

>unions are good for mr shekelberg
Nice delusion. Unionized countries (like Norway) have the best worker welfare in the world, and unions stop mr shekelberg from doin whatever the fuck he wants. If it werent for unions, shitty immigrants would take every job by accepting low pay. Unions stop that from happening. In murrica however,you allhave to work slave wages and hours to afford rent for a 10m2 cupboard

there are plenty of productions that do 16+ hour days

it's easier to hide money in the budget in OT than in shooting days, so people are willing to do a 30 day schedule with insane OT instead of a 45 day schedule with 12 hours because it's the only way they can actually get production going

I worked 14 hour shifts in a sausage roll and scotch egg factory last year, did get tea breaks though.

The average American makes seven grand more per year than Norwegians

I used to work at a logistics center doing 12-13 hour shifts (5pm - 6am) hands down the worst job I ever had, despite the pay being solid.

Everyone does that though

>Unironically thinking that the USA is anything more than a slghtly developed third-world country
You can't even afford a fucking kettle.

>have the best worker welfare in the world

Then why didn't they dominate the western world after WW II?

You pussies are just afraid of freedom, because freedom means you are free to FAIL just as much as you are free to succeed.

You're a slave, and a coward, as is your entire shitty yuronanny nation.

Any job that involves working at a "center" of any kind is going to be awful.

Tea breaks are literally mandated by law.

Are we supposed to believe that?

Yes I can, it's just that tea is barbaric.

American "poverty" is literally equivalent to the median income of most of Europe.

Go to bed Donald, the big boys are talking.

>american arguments

How horrible it is that Americans bring real numbers to a debate, when clearly we should just be using hyperbole.

Everybody that wasn't lazy, or a coward, left Europe for the new world long ago.

The rest never had the balls to separate themselves from the Queens' tit, and are still sucking on it today.

Only lower class trash left europe.

You genuinely are fucking delusional and brainwashed, kek. You aint shit pal, you are literally nothing and nobody.

The seven grand extra you instantly have to give to insurers so if you get an ingrown toenail you don't get a hospital bill for 25 grand, or the seven grand you put towards three months of college for your fatass spawn. Both of which cost Mr Norway fuck all... that and a million other examples.

You yanks are the biggest cuck pussys in the world and don't even realise.

That's why the US ranks higher than every individual European country on Purchasing Power Index, right?

Yeah, imagine actually having to work

To be fair Japanese workers are actually surprisingly lazy.

They work long hours but they don't actually work all that hard during those hours.

And yet you have a minimum wage.

Are Americans genuinely not entitled to get any breaks?

Kek, thinking this matters for universal healthcare and free higher education, holy shit man.

No you are right chief, carry on, land of the free...to be fucked by any corporation and company as they see fit, or, you know, just die.

Unless I'm looking up the wrong stats they don't though.

Gimme some of them juicy stats.

>literally the only two areas where americans pay more than europe
>coincidentally the only areas the government is heavily involved in
you make a convincing argument for handing over 60% of my paycheck

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

7 grand is 60% of your pay check...holy fuck man.

And yes, the oooonly two, hah, ok. I'm done, you're an idiot, play a record.

Grazie.

Are you thinking of SAG? Because SAG has the mandated breaks and "can't start until X" like the FAA does but I am not sure IATSE etc. have the same deal worked out.

>muh banter
you don't have banter you have snobby, underhanded remarks that you needle people with and then get pissed off when someone calls you out on it. buncha passive aggressive faggots

I'm surprised you can stay off the queens' tit long enough to actually type something....

Well done, Nigel.

>tfw born in america
>I will never get drunk at lunch with the lads and make movies

>playing pretend
>actual work
lmao

>mfw people born near me don't get drunk at lunch with their work pals

Letting the industrialist oligarchs win, comrade

I've directed two movies, both shot in Czech Republic. 16 hour days were the norm. International films with bigger budgets routinely go even longer than that.