Was Lex Luthor ever an effeminate eccentric in the comics?

Was Lex Luthor ever an effeminate eccentric in the comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BvS Lex is every bit the petty sociopath that Comkcs Lex has always been.

Let's not forget, Lex gave a bunch of teenagers superpowers, only to disable them on New Year's Eve causing dozens of them to die out of a hissy fit over not being a candidate for powers himself.

Lex in the comics gave up omniscient cosmic power for the sole reason that he couldn't use it to kill Superman.

BvS Lex may not be as outwardly composed as Comics Lex, but the core of the character, absolute bitter hatred of anything that he percieves to keep him from being the sole dominating political, cultural and technological leader on the planet, is still the same.

Was Zemo ever not wearing a purple mask?

Lex is more of a secret phsyco that bursts out of his shell every so often

I have a feeling they hired Jesse Eisenberg as Lex because they wanted him to be a Zuckerberg-type young billionaire. For some reason though, somebody (probably Snyder) told him to ham it up to a ridiculous degree. He had no real motivation or even much of a purpose in the movie. I guess he's the story catalyst when he kidnaps Martha, but even then he doesn't do shit.

Worst onscreen Lex easily. He wasn't intimidating or interesting. He was just a Jokerized rich guy.

God that movie fucking sucked...

If Jesse Eisenberg was the quintessential Lex from the comics, then why do people even fucking like Lex? He's really fucking lame.

... yes

>He had no real motivation or even much of a purpose in the movie.

Yeah, what was up with that? His motivation wasn't believable at all, he just randomly mentions in passing that we can't trust Superman because of how powerful he is, but his attitude throughout the film is all random / quirky and not taking anything seriously so you don't get any sense of him actually feeling threatened by Superman.

>I have a feeling they hired Jesse Eisenberg as Lex because they wanted him to be a Zuckerberg -type young billionaire

Yeah, I think he was modeled after the younger, more laid back modern business man like Zuckerberg, Gates or Jobs as apposed to the more traditional, suit wearing ones in the 80's that we're more used to. I honestly liked him but I diffidently see the dislike for it.

I think the writers/Snyder assumed that the viewer would just KNOW that Lex hates Superman without establishing the groundwork for it. "Of course he wants to kill Superman. He's Lex Luthor!"

This is probably because they had to spend half the movie establishing why Batman hates Superman. They just didn't have time for Lex's motivation.

What's his comic book motivation?

I think it varies from plain xenophobia or resentment to more complicated ideological reasons, such as Superman representing a dangerous ideal or becoming humanity's crutch

Superman caused him to go bald

Well wasn't xenophobia his motivation in BvS? I think there's also hints of the humanity's crutch stuff when he's talking about his abusive dad. I forget the line exactly, something like "no man came from the sky to stop my dad's fist"

Depends who's writing. What he tells people is that he doesn't like the idea of an alien doing all of the great things humanity should be doing on their own. He resents that Superman can do things that humans should be able to do with their own technology. He thinks Superman is a crutch that is holding civilization back.

Deep down though he hates him because he's better than him without even trying. He's a superior being.

>Well wasn't xenophobia his motivation in BvS?

They threw in a couple lines in passing about superpowered aliens not being something he can trust, but nothing about his actual demeanor made you believe he actually cared about any of that. His whole character was too whimsical and upbeat, you could never believe he seriously felt either anger or fear towards Superman.

BvS Lex is an arms dealer who wants a monopoly on weapons. He can't manipulate Superman, the strongest force on the planet, like he can with Batman so he tries to destroy him instead.

The obsession about him is a projection of Lex's nihilism and amorality. (See his Problem of Evil speech). Supes just doesn't fit into his worldview and Lex can't accept that anyone with that much power would choose to use it selflessly, and at great sacrifice to themselves. So he's obsessed with either destroying him physically (proving he is not all-powerful) or forcing him to compromise his morality (proving he is not all good).

>He had no real motivation or even much of a purpose in the movie.

You are a total dumbass if you still believe that..

Also, reminder that OP is a casual that is only familiar with cartoons and Johns take on the character.

>Was Lex Luthor ever an effeminate eccentric in the comics?

No, but he isnt "effeminate" in the movie either.

He probably has a small penis, just like all versions of lex

why didn't they get michael rosenbaum to play lex in BvS?

Johns' Lex is pretty great though. See 52 and Up, Up and Away for just how much of a selfish dick he can be when Johns is writing.

I think that's pretty interesting stuff desu. I didn't love or hate this Lex, I'm interested in seeing where his character will go, if anywhere.

>See 52 and Up, Up and Away for just how much of a selfish dick he can be when Johns is writing.

I'm not saying i don't like it. And it USED to be grat before new52.
I'm saying that Johns take is by far the most "cool" lex, Johns was pretty insecure a few years ago about getting bald before he got the hair implants that's why we got so many "sexy bald villians", lex, telos, sivana, the anti-monitor etc. Since forever evil Lex isnt really a villian anymore, he is a boring sexy anti-hero.

I really miss the days when villians were just cunts and bad people.

*MEEP MEEP* why didn't Superman stop daddy from fucking me in the ass
DINGDINGDINGDINGDING
youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE
so deep

>he believes the villian lies

Retard.

Honestly, I was pretty surprised to see him get fucked by Anti-Life at the end of the movie. Lex is always a hugely ego-driven character, so seeing him crack when he realizes that there is a god and he hates us all is pretty serious shit.

see

That's just because he was building up for the heelturn. Just didn't come, much like many other JL seeds that got planted.

Yes he is. I had a big gay art teacher in high school who had similar mannerisms

I don't care if he was reciting Apocalypse Now he was a fucking cartoon complete with acme dynamite kit.

I like how he couldnt hide his hate for superman knowing Clark was there.

Also the Prometheus speech was the perfect example of Lex delutions of greatness.

>Implying that the writing was to show Lex was unnerved
>Implying it wasn't just to show how ECCENTRIC and QUIRKY this Lex luthor was.

Books are knowledge and knowledge is power, and I am... no. Um, no. What am I? What was I saying? The bittersweet pain among men is having knowledge with no power because... because that is *paradoxical* and, um... thank you for coming.

With writing this shit, how can DCucks defend this?

They defend it cause they're broken enough to just accept what they're given.

>>Implying it wasn't just to show how ECCENTRIC and QUIRKY this Lex luthor was.

But it wasnt.
Also, the Prometheus thing fits his Victor-Adam Arc with Doomsday too. It's a shame idiots still believe there's no "motivations" behind lex when he STATES his motivations in the middle of a party.

>Metaphors and symbolism equals story
End this pretentious meme plz.

>>Metaphors and symbolism equals story
Do you understand what an ARC is?

he goddamn monogues about his motivations on at least three separate occasions (the gala, to the senator and to Superman when he kidnaps his mom), how in the fuck are people still confused about his characterization.

They can't interpretate stuff, they need for Lex to have a sincere chat with a friend or talking with his diary something like that

Because he keeps speaking in metaphors and analogies and for storytelling purposes that's really asinine and self defeating. Also Snyder isn't as clever as DCucks believe.

My headcannon is that he's meant to be a version of this "Alexander Luthor Jr."

while youre still wrong, c'mon man take off the console war goggles for a second. lex luthor is the most recognizable arch villain besides the joker. theres not nearly as much room for interpretation.

>Because he keeps speaking in metaphors

And this is a problem how? The only words of truth Lex can say in every single interpretation is "I hate superman"

If you can't understand how to write dialogue for characters, you're really not worth replying too.

This.

Lex in the comics keeps his cool until he bursts
Lex in the movie is literally a school shooter constantly talking in the same vain of "Man, what if I just like,kiled Superman? Wouldn't that be weird?"

He was in the animated series