Can somebody please provide some examples of wanking...

can somebody please provide some examples of wanking? i know comics based on certain people are supposed to make said person appear badass, but when does it really cross the line into wank territory? i heard some people here say that TDKR is a bat-wank, but i dont see any wanking, just batman being badass. did i miss something?

It's not just characters doing cool things but when other characters, even allies, are portrayed poorly beyond logic to make the first character look better by comparison is when it gets wanky.

It's basically when some character you don't like does something amazing instead of the character you like.

For example look at this scene.
This is totally fine but if instead of the guy dressed like a blue eskimo there was a guy dressed like a Bat saying he activated the last wayne-corp gadget or something which he spent billions to make and was based on Mr. Freeze technology it would be batwankery.

ohhhh, now i see, so THAT'S why people think TDKR is wanky, because superman is written as incompetent, not because batman is written well. thanks m8.

>what did you hate about it?
batman. fucking killing people.

Superman wasn't even that incompetent, he was weakened and he didn't want to fight Bruce.

Batman has been killing people since day one, get over it.

yeah, but after the sound weapon, he should have just super speed captured batman instantly

Like when Hitman visits the Justice League?

If you want examples of characters suddenly being able to do things we normally wouldn't expect, you have pretty much all of the Silver Age and a lot of the late Golden Age. But I wouldn't call any of that "wanking".

IMO, wanking is a combination of three things at the same time:
1) Power/intelligence creep, usually in a sudden fashion...
2) ...which is done in a serious manner ...
3) ... and is not primarily done with good plotting and smart characterization in mind (as it applies to the "wankee" and, sometimes but not always, the character who is being weakened to make the wankee look more powerful).

TDKR maybe gets a pass because Miller wrote the scenario well enough. Older comics get away with it because they're not remotely serious.

In Watchmen, there's also Veidt/Ozymandias outsmarting Manhattan with tachyons, which is just great characterization for both characters but could easily be misconstrued as wanking over Veidt's intelligence.

In identity crisis when deathstroke defeats the whole justice league .

He doesn't kill anyone in that book, read harder. We never actually see where he shot the guy holding the baby. The GCPD didn't add murder to his list of charges until they thought he'd killed joker

The Hitman/JLA crossover was pretty light on wanking and very restrained in its supes shitting by Ennis standards

>JL that doesn't have Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman.
>Didn't really
I'm a Deathstroke fan too but can we stop this?

Pretty sure Zatanna, Flash and GL wouldn't even need to touch him to bring him down.

Ralph alone could constrict his entire body and crush a few bones.

What is up with Canary's leg.

The Dark Knight Returns is one of the most highly-acclaimed Batman stories, so sometimes when people hear others talking up how great it is, and it doesn't live up to the expectations they had for it, they become disappointed,causing them to interpret a lot of the book's events in particularly harsh, negative ways

I like to call it the "Leonardo Effect", since TMNT is TERRIBLE about this.

Thats zatannas leg user

That's probably Zatanna's leg your looking at, her waist seems to have disappeared.

>Can someone please provide some examples of wanking?
But user, this is a blue board.

Anyone got that page of Black Panther dodging Karnak's attack then KO-ing him?
Or that page where Batman kicks the Justice League's ass, including kicking Wonder Woman in the gut to make her inhale gas?

Zatanna got punched in the throat, so she couldn't use magic.
I don't remember why GL's in the big pile-on, but I do recall him fighting like a tit earlier.

Out of everything in this page, the part that breaks my suspension of disbelief is Hawkman not trying to pulp his head with a mace.

Somebody post Karate Kid getting Batwanked.

comic noob here, but i just finished reading up to this issue and is the first series I'm dying to finish and can't put down. Is it considered wank? Doom is OP as fuck with his new armour and pretty much trashes everyone but there are times his arrogance gets him fucked over. I've always liked Doom, but he really stands out to me in this series because he comes off as the benevolent dictator who doesn't take shit. I only have issues 2-8, does it get better? thinking about buying the collection paperback on amazon.

Yeah. Basically, wank involves both the character suddenly being super badass and everything else bending over backwards so the character can be super badass.

HIckman's F4/FF/Avengers/Secret Wars was just one giant run of Doomwank where nothing any of the other characters did mattered because Doom would save everything off-panel anyway.

Any Thanos story written by Starlin.

>"I can slow you down Flash! "

Wow, bow instead of catching you at the Speed of light, he will catch you at the speed of sound.

Eh? TDKR isn't wanking. Bats gets called out and shot down as hard as he gets up. He struggles like Hell - and even in the end he and Supe don't end up with a "beating". They come to terms they're just relics and how one of them is going to go out one way and the other one another.

The "Good Enough" line is fucking gold.

It's two old dudes who are not part of the world that they want to be. Mostly, it's Bruce's story and how he comes to terms with how he wants to go and what he wants to convey.

Superman isn't incompetent, either - he just withdrew into his own clause so badly he gave people more credit than Batman would have; and Batman doesn't give people enough credit. They're both wrong and right.

It's a brilliant book.

Kyle tried to punch him and got his hand broken. Just a regular punch.

But Superman had a fantastic intro, and never looked incompetent.

Why the fuck does he even try to punch Slade? I've got the most dangerous weapon on my finger here, but let's punch this guy.