What is this dude's backstory, personality, and motivation?

What is this dude's backstory, personality, and motivation?

I know, I know, "he's the black one", "he killed a planet", "he was briefly Space Jesus"...there's a REASON why he does things though, right? Like...there's a character in there somewhere?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/on6L0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>backstory,
Architect, who enlisted for in the marines to pay for college, Grewup in a poor neighborhood but rose to greatness through sheer hard work

>personality & motivation?
Sten,he severs to counter balance hal's discount han solo-ness, Kyles idealism, and Guys...guy-ness

He is smart, and constantly tries to do the smart thing even when its a hard decision, this leads him to making mistakes he regrets.

John struggles to stay the same person who grew up in the hood despite being trillions of miles from home

An unpopular opinion, but John is my favorite GL. Largely thanks to growing up with the DCAU

Same here.

In a perfect world Hal has the Title book but John is the Resident JL Lantern

>Sten,he severs to counter balance hal's discount han solo-ness, Kyles idealism, and Guys...guy-ness

this, mostly
he's the straight-man; that's more or less it

i haven't read any of Simon Baz or the new girl so i couldn't tell you about them

See but DCAU John is a different character, he has the whole Hawkgirl romance thing going on, he actually plays the military background by barking orders more and the voice acting allows his stiffness to come across as hardass discipline rather than being boring.

I always wondered, do you suppose the change from fade to bald-and-goatee was a deliberate Deep Space Nine homage?

>he was briefly Space Jesus

That is Kyle's thing usually.

Sup Forums loves to shill Mosaic, a story where John gets the powers of a Guardian and is referred to as "the messiah"

Yeah, Hal slipped on a bar of soap and the ring flew to Jon in the ghetto.

Ohhh shit I completely forgot about that. Thanks.

what the fuck

The Silver Age largely consists of Hal bumping his head on stuff or being dumb as a brick. It's his version of Superdickery.

Ya know, I should've renamed this to "deepest_lore.jpg"

I've got a fun folder of these.
It just keeps happening

Goddammit, Hal, who just leaves a whole unused bar of soap on the floor?

Someone with a whole lot of brain damage

All those blows to the head have rendered poor Hal a little feeble.

typical Hal

>history
Architect and Marine

>personality
He hates being a Green Lantern and wants to be an Architect but he can't quite because muh corps

>motivation
For the longest time it was "i killed a planet" so he has to repent lately it's been "my girlfriend was killed by space shapeshiting space squids but I didn't find out until after I had been boning a space squid that looked like her for months" so he has to not bone any more aliens and takes it out by bitching about how much being a GL sucks

>"my girlfriend was killed by space shapeshiting space squids but I didn't find out until after I had been boning a space squid that looked like her for months"
Haven't heard this one before

They really need to update that....

Jesus fucking Christ, Hal.

I'm tempted to think that some cosmic entity fiddled with that particular ring's programming as it was headed to Earth, causing it to go to the most entertainingly stupid- rather than worthy- candidate.

What happened to cartoonish humor in comics?

no point, nothing they write could be better

Happened a few years ago. They all sat down and had a meeting about how they could make Stewart even more irrelevant and unlikable than before. Dude just needs to retire from the corps

How does he come across/act in the comics?

So the real Fatality is actually dead? I thought she just didn't love him and rejected the Star Sapphire brainwashing or some shit like that.

>you are needed
>drags him into space by his finger against his will

That ring is the best.

It makes you yearn for a better time.
Where heroes were everymen who had normal problems, like falling down so hard you knock yourself out.

You know, the stuff that happens to everyone

Like a wooden plank.

Oh right it was the space squid Fatality that was killed.

Either way he's moping about not having a girlfriend anymore

I'm okay with it, but the Green Lantern of Sector 2814, bearer of one of the most powerful weapons in the universe, should not have "the IQ of a guacamole"

Nah, he shouldn't retire.
He just needs to be paired up a foil.

Stick him with Baz and Jessica.

It's weird because the Silver Age is ALSO full of stories of Hal doing ridiculously OP shit off the top of his head that you'd never see a Lantern Ring doing now, like walking through walls, turning invisible, time travel, mind control...they took the "anything you can imagine" part literally back then, not just making colored shapes.

Hal has other gifts though.

And drag the only decent GL book in years into the gutter? No thanks, keep him in the Venditti containment book.

HAL, YOU CAN FLY.

Then he would just hit the door frame on his way out.

Maybe not the best idea

That's not Hal. It's a robber who dressed up like Green Lantern.

What about this one?

No, he would ruin the "rookie who doesn't know shit and rookie who pretends to know shit" rhythm of things.

>green fist

That's Hal, no doubt about it.

Well I guess its actually Hector Hammond after reading that, but Hal's ring is always set on fist.

>unpopular opinion
i'd imagine that's a popular opinion

That isn't John's origin, it's just one instance of him getting called as backup.

John's origin is that after Guy got hit by a bus the Guardians made John Hal's new backup

She's not dead, but once the star sapphire ring was gone she said it had been brainwashing her and she still hated him and she hasn't shown up since

pic sorta related. Hal needs a better mask.

I remember in the GL movie the only joke that made me laugh was when carol recognized who he was.

>It's against the Green Lanterns' code to use the power ring to give these folks new housing- -
WHY THE FUCK,

Opposite for me. I hated Green Lantern for years thanks to the Timmverse. It wasn't until I picked up Johns' run that I realized that GL was awesome.

imgur.com/a/on6L0

it's fucking beautiful. Two of my favorites are the Owlman prison and the attacking newspaper.

somebody post more of Hal getting hit on the noggin

To be fair that guy was super obsessed with the Green Lantern.