Waterboarding, is it torture?

So, is it Sup Forums?
Im pretty sure i have had a wet rag stuck on my face more than once without feeling any discomfort but that hardly counts as waterboarding.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4LPubUCJv58
vanityfair.com/news/2008/08/hitchens200808
theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/02/humanrights.usa
youtube.com/watch?v=qUkj9pjx3H0
youtube.com/watch?v=LV4a2_appig
boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=448717
liveleak.com/view?i=8e9_1467487024
metinbasoglu.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/zero-dark-thirty-the-unbearable-lightness-of-the-debate-on-torture-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=j8unXgpuKiA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>is drowning torture?

So what's the difference between that and just sticking a dude's head in a full sink?

You can die a painful death from waterboarding.

This is way more fun

you can die a painful death from alot of things, like getting hit by a bus, or inhaling the exhaust over a lifetime and get cancer in everything.

bus =/= torture

It's one of the worst forms of torture. It simulates drowning except you don't get to die.

There's places where you can legally have it done to you to see what it's like, with papers to be signed and doctors on hand of course. There was an article a few years ago of a guy that did it thinking that waterboarding was a pretty soft way or torturing someone.

pls be bait

Submerge your head in your bath. Breathe in deeply through your nose. Don't stop breathing.

It's one thing when you're hit by a bus, and completely different when die drowning in your own stomach acid pumped into you lungs by your gag reflexes and your bones broken by yourself from panic...

no it is not. we should waterboard high value muzzie prisoners with pig piss

Just did some googling, that 'guy' was Christopher fucking Hitchens

>Believe Me, It’s Torture
vanityfair.com/news/2008/08/hitchens200808
theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/02/humanrights.usa

>implying torturing shitskins is wrong

>not taking omeprazol before getting waterboarded

0/10

Yes it is, try choking on water and see how it feels, it's a really awful feeling. Hell just being constricted against your will is fucked up.
Sleep deprivation is also torture, starvation is hunger, a bunch of things can feel worse than a fucking electroshock

Well it sounds a lot better than having your dick cut off

Difference is that you end up with water in your upper respiratory tract (sinuses, nose, and upper throat). You can still inhale and exhale but every inhale feels like you're drowning because you're pulling water in and every exhale feels like you almost drowned because your coughing water out. .

You won't die from it though. But you'll suffer every fucking second from it because your body is thinking that you're drowning and about to die. So every single survival instinct kicks in, which isn't helping if you're strapped to a fucking table.

Honestly they could leave you like that over the weekend and you'd live. Maybe hook you up to a heart-rate monitor just in case.

Where the fuck are you going to get omeprazol from in a solitary condiment cell in Guantanamo Bay. There are bars on fucking everything. Wouldn't be surprised if the toilet was welded to the wall.

It's less likely to accidentally drown them.

I remember when this debate first came up that radio shock jock agreed to be waterboarded and was acting all tough beforehand. Then when it came down to it, he lasted 1 second before tapping out and had nightmares about it for months afterwards. So yeah, probably torture.

It's therapy.

>is simulated drowning drowning?

Taking ulcer medicine away from ulcer patients is literally torture, and thats illegal, so.

>virtual reality is reality

It's soulless Jap tier shit

No. Even this baby likes it. These shit skins are just cry baby faggots

You're acting like anyone would care. Besides, unless you have an ulcer you won't get ulcer medication from staff of a fucking prison.

Imagine how horrible this would be for a nigger, the only race that evolved without any interaction with water deeper than a puddle of Rhino piss.

Yes, and its intent is torture

Neoconservatives are an enemy of the right, the left and the west.

serves the nigger right for not inventing the act of sitting on top of something that floats

Waterboarding is brutal. I had it done for shits and giggles in the Marines just to see what it felt like. And it sucks a lot.

First, the angle that you lean back makes it so water shoots up your nose. The wet cloth makes it so you can't push water out of your mouth easily, and with a constant stream of water, the second you do open your mouth, it floods. Eventually you have to breath in, and since both your nose and mouth are filled with water, you basically drown.

I thought I'd be able to just push air out my nose, while keeping my mouth closed, and withstand it. Needless to say, I was coughing up shitloads of water after 30 seconds.

Imagine the stinging feeling when you get water up your nose while swimming, x10, then that stinging feeling goes all the way to your lungs. Thats basically it. It sucks, and its not fun.

Perfect for sandniggers then. Honestly we shouldn't use it only to torture them. That should be the normal state of holding them captive. Give them food and water via IVs and hold Ahmed waterboarded for 25 years straight.

god damn

Hitler trips of truth.
All we have to do is waterboard Ahmed for a certain period of time, then ask him a question. If he doesn't answer, repeat. If he does, investigate his lead. If it's true, treat him like they treated Al Capone in prison. If it's a lie, extend his waterboarding sessions. Everyone has a breaking point.

I agree with your statement and acknowledge your digits.

yep, these animals only deserve it

Did my thesis on sleep deprivation use on detainees.

From a legal perspective the answer is yes and no. By itself, no, waterboarding does not meet the legal definition of torture. However in conjunction with the other treatment detainees undergo, sleep dep, forced "stress positions", etc. it definitely becomes part of an overall system of torture.

I have expereinced it first hand.

I asked one of my dad's old school military friends to give me a demonstration, because it did not look that bad. He was reluctant at first, but after hassling him for a while he aggreed, but told me that I would regret it.

I am a good swimmer and can hold my breath for about 2 minutes while swimming under water and a bit longer without exertion.

I think the main idea with waterboarding is the angle. It causes water to rush down your nose.

For some reason I am able close my nose without using my hands or nose pin. I can seal of my nose where my sinusses start - it is hard to explain.

So I was able avoid the effects at first.

I held my breath for about 30 secs and then tried to see if it was possbile to breathe.

As I tried to breathe the effects became very apparent. I was unable to gasp for air, the only thing entering my mouth or nose was water.

It really felt like I was drowing and with blood rushing to my head from lying in a a downward angle I also felt dizzy.

Panic quickly set in and the more I panicked the worse it became. I was unable to close my nose again and water just kept rushing in.

In retrospect I think I would be able to better fake it. Ie hold my breath for 30 secs or so but act panicky as if it was getting to me.

But with enough time i think anyone will break.

That drowning/suffocating sensation is horrifying and I think I would tell them anything and everything they wanted eventually.

PREACH brother trips

They'll need oxygen at some point too ya know

Why don't they just drink the water?

>implying a random captured shitskin can offer any kind of valuable information
It's just for keeping the guards entertained.

Yes.... but I don't care.

I am completely okay with the use of non-lethal methods of torture in extreme situations.

You can't when its shooting up your nose. Thats the big part that makes waterboarding work. The mouth aspect is just the icing on the cake. It's all about shooting water up your nose. Fucking painful as hell, and almost impossible to prevent.

Can put them into an oxygen tent then. They'll only need to breathe a fifth as often to get the same amount of oxygen.

Alternatively we could waterboard them with that fluorocarbon that can be used for liquid breathing. They both get to drown and the oxygen so they won't die.

They do often have valuable information.

In the bush war when they captured nigs who laid mines (could see by the strap bruises from carrying mines on their back) they would tie him to the front of a vehicle and start driving.

As they got closer to a minefield, the nig would start screaming. They would then clear the mine field and repeat the process.

Many lives were saved by screaming niggers.

>trusting your life to the memory of a nigger
Good thing we have technology these days.

It's more psychological than psychical
There's no chance of bodily harm in waterboarding and you can breathe fine but you think your fucking dying
you freak out and instincts kick in and it's scary but your not actually getting hurt you just think you are

No chance of harm? Are you serious? Try a full panic mode in constrains. You can quite a bit of harm to yourself.

They also had mine/metal detectors, screaming nigs just got the job done faster.

If you lay mines your remember where they are so that you don't go through them yourself. You also have to relay that info to your own people so as to avoid mass team killings.

I kinda, non-sarcastically, believe that anything that doesn't cause permanent (physiological) damage can't be called torture.

They're in restraints. It can cause ptsd, but I'd say that's more abuse than torture.

That's not from.the waterboarding
And it can't be that bad nothing that won't heal in a few weeks to a month

>like getting hit by a bus,
>bus =/= torture
what are you trying to say

Of course it's torture that's why they fucking do it to get information out of people.

Personally I'm against it for one main reason. It can cause long term health effects.

One being a permanent decrease in air supply. A medical study showed it happening to people who suffered daily waterboardings for months on end.

US execured Japanese waterboarders, but that's none of my business.

>Im pretty sure i have had a wet rag stuck on my face more than once without feeling any discomfort but that hardly counts as waterboarding.

Yeah if you want to more accurate representation of what it's like, buy one of those zentai suits put it on and put your face right under the shower.

>we simulate drowning by actually drowning people

epic mate

Its not so much the actual methods.

The efficacy of torture or enhanced interrogation is highly debated,

There are far more effective means of soliciting information out of someone than simply hurting them or making them think they're gonna die.

nah it's just bantz m8

It is waterboarding until they drown.

Personally, im all for it. You should be issued a license to perform it and have to get waterboarded to get the license. fair is fair.

>you can breathe fine
you are literally retarded

tbf I could waterboard a slut and have a pretty good time doing so I reckon

the safeword would be "BLSFGGGHSHSP"

It's unnecessary, if you know someone knows something just offer them Shit until they talk and then just don't deliver and put them in solitary.

They are not going to believe you will give them stuff

lol just hold your breath nigga

Well then just put them in solitary, they will talk at some point.

It's torture. People already mentioned you're sucking in water little by little and your body is convinced you're drowning so everything activates and your brain goes reptilian. One thing that wasn't mentioned was that being strapped down while your muscles are tensed is painful and tiring, you begin to use up oxygen that's already present and by you suffocating, all that acid builds up and you begin to become numb.

People get tortured like this far worse than hitchens and for far longer. It's a torture technique, but I wouldn't use it for yes/no questions, because whoever is getting water board will unknowingly answer whatever will get them to stop the torture.

If anything, this should be used as a way, not to extract information during, but as a threat to get information before or after.

Of course it's torture, it inflicts pain and suffering.

The question is whether or not torture is permissible, and if so under what circumstances.

The consensus seems to be that "as long as it's smelly brown people", it's fine.

They use high powered hoses, dumbass. You'll literally feel like dying, but it's kosher.

Desert fuck need water retard

Good old fashioned American baptism.

Definitely better than pic related.

Anyone can confirm if this is true?

Yes. And not a light form of torture.

not just smelly brown people, I'd like to waterboard all the fucking white soap dodging communist cunts who let the filth in in the first place too

literally ANYONE who tried it themselves says it's torture.

it's very easy to do to yourself in a safe environment, so why dont you try it and decided for yourself?
ps: biggest risk is heart attack, because your heart will start racing like fucking crazy

youtube.com/watch?v=qUkj9pjx3H0
youtube.com/watch?v=LV4a2_appig

here's a detailed report of someone trying it for himself:
boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=448717

there is nothing to discuss here. Simply try it out and judge for yourself

Checked for kek

It is. But its pitiful and low efficiency. CIA pick it up because it leaves no traces and they were afraid to been caught.

I've had it done, it's deceptively fucking horrible. You can't breath and you're trying flail instinctively. You go full on scared primal monkey.

>pitiful and low efficiency
the fuck are you talking about.
pol pot regime used it, gestapo used it, spanish inquisition used it.
torture survivors (from regimes that routinely tortured political opponents) unanimously say that drowning torture is MUCH worse than physical torture (getting beaten, electroshocks and mutilations), which shouldnt be all that surprising because ultimately torture is all about whats in your head

>afraid to been caught.

Yeah, that must be why they have been so careful with all their other shit and kept all that from leaking, good thinking user. also checked.

>pol pot regime used it, gestapo used it, spanish inquisition used it.
For the similar reasons. It is first and light step with little risks to health. No need to go hard if prisoner breaks on light version less risks to lose him/her with information from heart attack. If not then goes escalation.

>torture is all about whats in your head
Mutilations go into people heads for real.

Yeah but there is nothing wrong with torture

I miss Hitch.

if is not gasoline it's not torture

I've thrown a wet towel on my face and breathe in before. It's a horrifying experience. For a second you feel like you're going to die.

you are simply uninformed. please try waterboarding for yourself if you think it's so "low intensity" and report back to us.

That's cute op
liveleak.com/view?i=8e9_1467487024

Please try to burn your balls with blowtorch or carve out eyes with the knife and report back to us.

It''s not hard to test out yourself. All you need is a rag/saran wrap, bucket, an inclined surface and a friend. Try it out if you're curious

Yes, what an asinine question.

What are you sliding rabbi?

And what are you going to do to the person after you've done that? No more eyes to gouge out and balls to burn, with waterboarding there is no end, it just won't stop coming.

of course i'm not advising you to actually do that.

I dont have to because there are people who have been tortured that way and the all say suffocation torture is worse.
metinbasoglu.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/zero-dark-thirty-the-unbearable-lightness-of-the-debate-on-torture-2/

not only is the immediate distress caused by suffocation torture worse than burning/mutilation, but it also has a much higher correlation with later PTSD and depression.

my friend just killed me thanks user

Christopher Hitchens was for it before he was against it. talks about it at 2:40
youtube.com/watch?v=j8unXgpuKiA

>>
Cancer get bump.
Waterboarding is torture, and there are indeed people that ought to be tortured.

>yfw they cut your dick off as they water board you

Try yourself and tell us if you feel tortured or not.