ITT, we post 10/10 character designs

ITT, we post 10/10 character designs.

Made up of mostly curved lines, Genie appears to be soft and friendly (which he is), but his thick arms, strong jaw, and barrel chest also give the impression of something that is very strong and powerful. It's a really solid, simple design that perfectly communicates the character.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C3miru2oLQM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In Aladdin, everything that's blue represents good while everything red represents evil.

Genie is blue, Jasmine wears blue, the Cave of Wonders and the room within it holding the lamp is blue.

Jafar wears red, his whole body becomes red when he transforms into a snake and then a genie. Iago is red. Their secret dungeon in the palace is red. The whole palace turns red after he steals the lamp and takes over. The big gem Abu touches in the Cave of Wonders is red and that whole atmosphere changes from blue to red.

You'd never think about this shit when seeing the movie for the first time but it really opens your eyes when learning about it.

Aladdin wears purple. He is the neutral party. He's essentially a good person, but he's using his wishes for self serving purposes.

At the end of the movie, his vest turns blue. He's a full good guy now.

Woah, I never even thought of that.

The merchant at the beginning of the movie also wears blue. Which is fitting, because originally he was supposed to be the genie in disguise.

The villain from Thief and The Cobbler that Genie was inspired by was blue.

Everything in Lilo & Stitch is curved and naturally rounded to give off the impression that it's "biologically alive". It all matches the aesthetic of Hawaii.

And make way for one of the best designs around.

The bad example looks like TV show Stitch.

Melody was designed to look like both Ariel and Eric because she is their daughter

I'm blue, da ba de da ba die

WHAAAA

Woah, incredible.

>You'd never think about this shit when seeing the movie for the first time
that's because most people see it the first time when they're dumbshit kids

it's a very overt way to differentiate the good guys from the bad guys

He has the Genie's beard, the red belt, and four fingers as well.

Very richly detailed with lots of personality. Lots of little touches, like Woody's thin elbow because there isn't any stuffing there, the etchings on his boots and belt buckle and all the other little details that you would expect a handmade toy to have. And Buzz has all those little stickers, plus one hidden under his wrist, and I've always liked that curl on his chin. They really are just like living toys

Each Disney princess bears subtle cues towards their personality, despite following very similar resign trends

I always thought Stitches ship was really cool.

Jane was designed to look like both Wendy and... Mr. Wendy because she is their daughter

Baymax is white because the entire cast of Big Hero 6 was whitewashed

Princess and The Frog uses color theory really well. Tiana gets three main outfits in the movie: her yellow waitress uniform signifies hard work and perserverance. Her blue dress when she wishes on the star represents the wonder and whimsy that she's driven out of her life. In the end, when she marries Naveen, she wears green, the combination of blue and yellow, symbolizing that she's reconciled the two aspects of herself into a healthy balance.

In Tarzan, the usual representations of light and dark are flipped: darkness is associated with safety and comfort, being concealed. Light is associated with danger and vulnerability, being exposed.

Simba had to have a lot of concepts in mind when being executed.
His adult form had to look like both Mufasa, and his cub form, while still having his own unique face and features. He's muscular, but less stout than Mufasa, and his face and mane still appear iconic despite sharing similarities with Mufasa. And you can still see his cub self in his face, however from a distant or as a silhouette, you could mistake him for his dad.
I'm really impressed with how much finesse the character designers managed to pull this off.

I can't tell which ones are supposed to be genuine discussion or "sky is blue" tier observations.

Movies are called that because they move. Just like talkies had talking.

HOW DID YOU KNOW

I was being genuine but I don't mind playing along for fun if people want to make fun of my observations

>they are opposites

memeing aside I'm pretty interested in all this critique and examination of design, please continue art school user, your degree was not wasted this day.

>When being executed

But user, I thought mufasa was the one being executed

I wish they'd kept those black markings in his ears as an adult.

I would say that all "male" designs for toy story was great.

Bopeep was very forgettable, and Jessie was very stereotypical cowgirl. Ken vs Barbie is also very telling. Barbie being only memorable because of her anti oppression speech.

My favorite design for female character is Mirage from Incredibles.

Basically perfect opposite of Helen.
long platinum blonde instead of short dark hair
brown vs white
always in dress/skirt, never pants like Helen
Her bangs go to her left while Helen's go to her right.

Incredibles were just amazing in general for design. If there's any criticsm, the baby was not terribly engaging.

Nice one

Lion cubs lose those markings as they grow older. They paid attention to this, because they had live lions in the studio to study and draw inspirations from

>live lions in the studio
that sounds like they took living lions and sent them in the animation studio

Let's not forget the most obvious difference.

you're not even trying

No fucking way

Only 2 of them are white people.

Iago also has blue on his wings, hes mostly evil but a little good.

I'm pretty sure honey lemon is latina.

Bob wasn't kidding about the whole "toothpick" thing.
Hot damn

She probably broke a lot of bones growing up

That's because he's a Macaw, out of place as that is

Of course the genie wears a bright red belt and isn't shown to be anything but good. Sometimes the small stuff is just there because it looks good.

>At the end of the movie, his vest turns blue.
Bullshit.

Oh fuck you

it's the green it's the green it's the green you neeeeeed,
And when I look into your future it's the green that I see

Mufasa had bolder blacks in his mouth and eyebrows. That's a nice touch.

That would be interesting if it were true. His vest is purple in the scene where they say goodbye to the genie. Furthermore, his AND Jasmine's clothes are purple in the final shot where they fly off towards the moon while singing.

No, he's not kidding

That looks a little different from the one I just watched on Youtube. A remastered version, maybe?
youtube.com/watch?v=C3miru2oLQM

But wait, Iago had some blue on him.

Could that have been... FORESHADOWING!?

I thought this was common knowledge.

In that version _everything_ is tinted purple for some reason.
And even if it's a remaster (I don't think it is but it might be) that just means it's more like what they intended for it to be.

What the fuck is this pseudo intellectual normie thread?

We're not stroking our own egos, we're discussing some cool, subtle, interesting, or mind-blowing design choices in characters and movies that some people could have missed. I learned some stuff here

She looks like a loli version of Eric.

Dumb that they gave Genie the wrist cuff things again in the later movies.
Also they should have kept that end-movie outfit for Aladdin.

Hopping around from place to place

>An Asian is turned into a black guy
>A blonde Asian is turned Hispanic
WHITEWASHING

>design is not intentional.

Also from PATF:

He wears outwardly classy clothes, but they don't fit well and he's got no undershirt. Gets across the con man aspect well.

But he's far too small, and his beak/legs are yellow instead of black.

I assumed he was just a made-up parrot species.

Forgot pic.

Creative license. You don't want to make the most active part of the character, ie the mouth and limbs black.

Really don't like the bare midriff. unless you got hip to make it in to an hourglass figure the bare midriff just makes the character look fatter.

Plus, his hair is a rat's nest in a time period where the fashionable look for black men was short and slicked back.