youtube.com/watch?v=F39CYBE6-Kg
youtube.com/watch?v=dUjckkIxu1w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The way they talk killed it, As if the costumes weren't bad enough

pls respond

Gunkino

YES I loved it

Unironically yes

Eh its OK. I think a film adaptation of R+J has an inherently mediocre ceiling but this version was about as good as it could be.

>taurus

No. As the other user said, forcing the actual lines from the play into it didnt work. In general it just didn't work. I don't know the director sold his 'vision' to the studio but I bet they were shocked by the final product.

>let's do a Shakespeare adaptation without including what made Shakespeare special in the first place: his use of language

>making a Shakespeare adaptation without including what made Shakespeare special in the first place: his use of a book

The plays weren't a book, they were a script made for performance usage. They include stage directions for a reason.

Oh fuck. How will user ever recover?

I'm just wondering how he made it through high school without ever reading Shakespeare

Classic Shakespearean dialogue in a modern setting is the worst

So I guess that means ANY adaptation of his plays are a violation of any sort of acceptable adaptation?. I guess that's what you're driving at?.

That don't involve a stage I meant.

It oozes style with every breath. We'll never get an over the top movie like it again.

What i'm saying is that Shakespeare wrote mostly in verse. The language is the thing people revere about his work. If you're going to change that, you might as well go full-on Lion King and use different character names and a different setting.

Guess you've never seen this masterpiece

>The language is the thing people revere about his work

Nah, I think you're confused as total fuck guy. Yeah, I never read Shakespeare and I am not going to so you got me on that. I can't stand how that shit was fucking written. We don't speak like that anymore.

I'm not sure how you can so confidently declare his writing style as what has driven him to success but I don't agree.

I think the idea of the romance in Romeo & Juliet and the irony in the story is what makes it to relate-able. That's what makes me appreciate the story so you're opinion doesn't apply to me. I don't like Shakespeare for his writing style and I would bet most people nowadays are actually driven OFF by it. Just like most other styles that are outgrown (black & white movies for example).

She was too ugly for him

shakespearian english was never spoken outside of plays

I've never seen this movie but I hope you get hit by a fucking truck, user. Maybe these are more suitable for someone with your condition.
t. /lit/

>I've never seen this movie

Then get the fuck off this thread or go watch the movie

>inb4 I'm not going to watch the fucking movie I'm defending

So much pleb in this post I don't even know where to begin. The notion that linguistic evolution makes past works irrelevant is evidence that you haven't read very much. Poetry is one of the few artistic fields that has actually regresses over the years, mostly due to a lack of interest.

>and I would bet most people nowadays are actually driven OFF by it.
Not because it isn't beautiful, but because most people no longer understand it. No one reads The King James bible anymore, so they aren't used to the 16th century English.

youtube.com/watch?v=wmmBT_4dmI0
This translated into contemporary English would only make it worse

I've never seen someone be so fucking wrong about something in my life
>I'm not sure how you can so confidently declare his writing style as what has driven him to success but I don't agree.
>I think the idea of the romance in Romeo & Juliet and the irony in the story is what makes it to relate-able. That's what makes me appreciate the story so you're opinion doesn't apply to me. I don't like Shakespeare for his writing style and I would bet most people nowadays are actually driven OFF by it. Just like most other styles that are outgrown (black & white movies for example).
You can't write a single post without half a dozen mistakes, either. I can't tell if you're a parody of the 21st century or just actually retarded. You seriously think William Shakespeare is studied today and has been studied for 400 years because one of his plays has some romance and irony in it?
If you had even the slightest connection to the past several hundred years of western civilization you would realize how wrong you are. Jesus christ.

This is now a post favorite Shakespeare videos thread

youtube.com/watch?v=q89MLuLSJgk

His plays used the common vernacular, making a modern romeo use shitty Shakespearian pros is like Shakespeare mounting a play in Latin.

God you are such a fucking pleb, never post about shit you have no idea about and read Shakespeare like every other educated child in the western world

No they didn't. They used a mixture of verse and prose depending on the character. I can assure you that the majority of English natives during the period did not speak Iambic pentameter naturally.

>1a : using a language or dialect native to a region or country rather than a literary, cultured, or foreign language

He most definitely used a literary and cultured language.

You're like the 15th person that called me pleb on this thread and you all read Shakespeare.

Serious question. Do you read that shit JUST TO FEEL like you're not a pleb?.

I read a Midsummer Night's Dream this year because I was watching Wolf Hall and wanted something period-appropriate to accompany it. I read it for pleasure, and was surprised to find I was able to follow the jokes and banter perfectly. It was a nice feeling.

>is like Shakespeare mounting a play in Latin.
Shakespeare's characters did use Latin. The popularity of the phrases “et tu, Brute?” and "sic semper tyrannis" comes from Shakespeare's use of them in Julius Caesar. He also had long passages in untranslated French.

i'm actually glad the 90s are gone with their shit fashion and annoying hairstyles

What are you talking about? That's a Sword 9mm.

Meter =/= vernacular you clod

>Do you read that shit JUST TO FEEL like you're not a pleb?
I read Spencer and Milton to feel superior, I read Shakespeare because his work is really fucking good. I would familiarize myself with the language if I were you; you're missing out.

> not having a longsword

look at the pleb scrambling for anything to justify his complete ignorance in basic western thought and art. I read it because it is mandatory for understanding western literature, philosophy, history and poetry on top of being beautifully written and still engaging more than 400 years after it was written

And literally everyone begins reading the greats because they feel like a pleb, you read it so you are not a fucking pleb, do you think you are some genius of thought who never recognized your own ignorances and sought to fight it? It's like living in a christian monastery and someone shames you for reading the bible for thr first time because you are trying not to be an idiot. Kill yourself user, or better yet, do some basic reading

How old are you? Serious question

In the intro to the First Folio (I was able to touch a copy myself), Henry Condell wrote

>Reade him, therefore; and againe, and againe: and if then you doe not like him, surely you are in some manifest danger, not to understand him.

Even people in Shakespeare's time had trouble understanding him at times.

i remember thinking leo's night costume was so fucking cool in that

Never fucking post on this board again.

yes, It is pretty good, not changing any lines and talk about swords while holding guns is an interesting choice

pic is true gunnkino

Romeo and Juliet only works for me in any medium when its interpreted as a cautionary tale about foolishly rushing into love with someone.

When its played as a straight love story about true love conquering all beyond death or whatever glamorized suicide shit gets peddled to teenagers these days, it makes me feel ill.

learn2bait

>35
Jesus Christ I need to get off this site. This could be me one day.

>hahah I was only pretending to be dumb

A good production allows for both interpretations

seriously, the idea that I can still be browsing this shithole at 21 scares me, let alone 35 talking about never reading Shakespeare.... why even continue living at that point

Romeo + Juliet was pure fucking style. From the setting, to the costume design, the music, the actors, shit was masterclass.

youtube.com/watch?v=xV_L6RsiHZo

What about HAMLET (2000) with Ethan Hawke?

youtube.com/watch?v=F39CYBE6-Kg

I'm 25 and pic related is how I feel posting here. Get out while you still can

judging by previous polls, most people here are around 26

oldfags are the only ones who browse this shit site now, everyone else is on reddit

youtube.com/watch?v=dUjckkIxu1w

Shakespeare's best soliloquy by far

I've been posting since I was 18. Everyone was my age then, and still everyone's my age I guess. I think Sup Forums appealed to a certain demographic, and that demographic stayed around and aged with the site.

You do realise that meter dictates the choice of vocabulary, and is thus by definition a "literary" style? You fucking ignorant little pleb. Don't try to sound smart when you're stupid.

Personally I love Claire Danes and still think this is my most hated film. Yes its the speech that kills everything. What a stupid fucking idea the whole thing was.

Shakespeare literally invented words to fit his meter

this movie is the perfect example of style over substance

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I liked it, even though it had its flaws.

>that picture
Sometimes I hate Americans so fucking much.

ALL ARE PUNISH'D

It's from a British imprint

Them too!

>when someone bites their thumb at you

better know as "how to fuck the awesome idea of modern romans"

The tudor period english c lashes really badly with the slick modern (at the time anyway) style. Then again, it probably would have been worse if they tried to tranlate it into modern english.

It's not your blog. Take off your trip and stop trying to make evry thing about how mature you are.

i like the part where they find out they're cousins and fuck everywhere and have retarded children

filter me your fag

Does anyone know the song at the end of the trailer?

I genuinely think this is amongst the better Shakespeare adaptations, the story suits the 90's aesthetic surprisingly well. Also setting amidst college-age kids is quite a good idea, even in the 1600s a lot of the audience would have been thinking "young stupid kids"

Prospero's books might be my favourite adaptation... surprisingly difficult to find a SFW still