Westerns

I'm fairly new to western themed movies but I've almost immediately fallen in love with this genre. Any recommendations for movies? Already seen the Dollarrr Trilogy but that's really all I know of

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yhvJUouwU7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=iGZDKuDl3jc
youtube.com/watch?v=hXeBxtyF-5U
youtu.be/v2ssbgThljU
youtube.com/watch?v=G7V-CW_SUos
youtube.com/watch?v=UI-uTldSvcQ
youtu.be/HC4GrJvTUOg
youtu.be/9C-fRdCmzDk
youtube.com/watch?v=ovwwn0EtdN8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The quick and the dead from the 90s with DiCaprio

Once Upon a Time in The West
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Great Silence
Django
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Wild Bunch
Pale Rider
Joe Kidd
The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Hang Em High
Unforgiven
Silverado
Tombstone

The Alamo (1960)

I love the western genre, I just hope it gets a resurgence.

Though, if it does, it'll probably be filled with SJW shit.

You forgot Deadman.

Warlock
youtu.be/yhvJUouwU7Q

Or pic related for a western/horror

Bla Jesse James Bla was pretty good.

Unforgiven

This is my favourite, but don't watch it until you've seen all the others. Or at least all the other Clint Eastwood westerns. It serves as a capping off to all of them.

Wyatt Earp
Young Guns
Rio Bravo

My Name Is Nobody if you want a western comedy done right. It's the only western soundtrack that really stayed with me, to boot.

youtube.com/watch?v=iGZDKuDl3jc

Other Clint Eastwood Westerns? What movies and what order to watch them in?

They called him Trinity
El Topo

I'm pretty sure the Dollar trilogy are the only ones that have any order to watch them in, and even there you can just ignore it, I can't remember any other anyway. Basically just google "Clint Eastwood Westerns" and watch all of them, there isn't really a bad one out there so no need to look for recommendations of particular ones. Even Paint Your Wagon is good even though it's entirely different from the rest.

I like to pretend he plays the Man with no name once more as an old man who finally settled down.

Yep, and then there's High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider.

I'll always prefer the traditional sagebrush western over nihilistic deconstructionist shit.

I usually do the same but Unforgiven is the GOAT of deconstructionist westerns and it works splendidly as a "finale" for the Eastwood westerns.

This is an underrated modern western that OP also should check out.

There's also The Revenant.

And yeah, I can accept Unforgiven mostly because despite deconstructing the western, it shows it's merits and why they love it.

>My Name Is Nobody if you want a western comedy done right.

Agreed. They Call Me Trinity and its sequel Trinity Is Still My Name are also pretty good.

>Other Clint Eastwood Westerns? What movies and what order to watch them in?

Order he made those is the order, as that shows how he developed as director. High Plains Drifter cranks the man with no name to 11. The Outlaw Josey Wales is pretty straight revenge movie. Pale Rider pretty much features retired man with no name who has become preacher, prayers and reasoning just don't solve all problems as well as being the death incarnate with revolver.

John Fords westerns are pretty essential to western as genre. My Darling Clementine, The Searchers, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Another essential western director is Anthony Mann. Winchester '73, The Naked Spur, The Far Country and The Man from Laramie.

every movie with bud spencer and/or terence hill

>There's also The Revenant.
no there isn't

Open Range

any western with Charley Bronson

any western made in straya

The Great Silence

Shane
True Grit (original and the new version, it's not so much a remake as just another adaptation of source material)
Literally anything by Ford. The Man Who Shot liberty valance is one of the greatest westerns.
Last Man Standing. Its Yojimbo in a prohibition era border town with the irish and italian mob.
3:10 to Yuma
Hang 'Em High

Does treasure of the Sierra madre count?

Gotta watch some John Ford.

Stagecoach, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and The Searchers (watch em in that order) are essential.

Jeremiah Johnson>>>>>>>The Revenant

Both of them are about trappers and the great outdoors rather than your average cowboy shootout western, though. So not sure OP is looking for either.

If you're not just looking for shootin'-tootin' westerns then definitely check out Jeremiah Johnson, it's amazing and has some beautiful shots. If you're looking for something like the dollars trilogy it'd probably feel pretty slow, though.

solid list
I'll just add
Sabata
Indio Black (aka Adios Sabata)
Fistful of Dynamite (aka Duck You Sucker)
man, what a depressing movie

Lonesome Dove

GOAT

Are their any good western TV shows besides Deadwood and the Lonsome Dove mini series?

A Fistful of Datas

There's Hell on Wheels but can't vouch for it. Still on the todo list.

The Proposition

The Cat & Hutch saga > The Trinity saga.
Not that they're not both great.

Klondike was a great miniseries, only six episodes or something like that. As the name might tell you it's about two friends who decide to join the goldrush.

It's nothing like Deadwood and Lonesome Dove though. More about the dangers of golddigging and how the golddiggers were bled dry by the shops, rather than shootouts. Felt more real.

-John Ford-
The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Stagecoach

-Howard Hawks-
Rio Bravo
El Dorado
Rio Lobo

-Sergio Leone-
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More

-Clint Eastwood-
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
High Plains Drifter

-Henry Hathaway-
True Grit
The Sons of Katie Elder

-John Wayne-
Big Jake

-The Coen Brothers-
True Grit
Ballad of Buster Scruggs (upcoming)

-Tarantino-
Django Unchained

Pic related.

The remake of the Magnificent 7 was an SJW wet dream come true.

This is the list you want.
Outlaw Josey Whales is a masterpiece, and django, 2 mules for sister Sara, and hang em high are all solid.
I'd add magnificent seven (the original) to this list

hell on wheels and deadwood

hell on wheels is pretty good i'd recommend it

deadwood is one of my all time favourite shows

>django unchained
>western
I thought it was a movie about slavery tbqh.

Hombre
Geronimo (Wes Sturdi, Robert Duval version)
The Long Riders
Chato's Land
The Professionals

Please tell me im not the only one I watched Appaloosa, come on guys!

If you havent seen it go watch it right now, its insanely comfy.

protip: watch it drinking some coffee and or smoking.

coming from someone you loves sergio leone, fistful of dollars is a personal favorite, i thought the new true grit sucked major dick. Little girl was fucking annoying, half the story was her trying to get both of the cowboy goobers to help her, the nature traveling montage went on for ages, and the final duel was lackluster. Only good part was chicken man. why is the new true grit liked here so much?

It doesn't take place in the west and there's no cowboys but it's got bounty-hunting and the spirit of a good revenge western.

it certainly has many elementa of slavery but it is a gunslinger movie through and through with classic tarantino edge. its dumb fun but then again most westerns aren't terribly deep either

I watched that twice, only realising halfway through the second time that I had actually seen it already. It's a good movie and I liked it so I don't understand why it was so forgettable the first time.

If you have time to kill check out Heaven's Gate.
It's a mess with scenes that go on way too long but it does have some amazing shots and good action sequences as well

Another too long but has its moments is One Eyed Jacks. Brando's only movie he directed. Kubrick was supposed to direct and Peckinpah wrote the screenplay but Brando got rid of them both. Still turned out better than you might expect but could have been shorter

I love The Mercenary (1968) but it's hard to find a good print.

Jack Palance was a terrific bad guy when he felt like acting back in the day.

youtube.com/watch?v=hXeBxtyF-5U

bump

I suggest you watch a bunch of these. However, watch Unforgiven last, you'll know why once you do so.

You forgot The Hateful Eight for Tarantino. Better than Django Unchained desu.

I've been reading all these replies and I'm planning on it.

Thanks to you guys, I have enough movies for the next month or so and I am grateful for that

>django

>django

Isn't that Unforgiven?

Yes

>Jack Palance was a terrific bad guy
Shane. Motherfucking Shane. He's the best black-hat of all time in that movie.

This, it's great. I love Sam Raimi tho so maybe I'm biased, I don't remember it being well received

I haven't seen Shane since elementary school. I completely forgot he was in that.

>if you want a western comedy done right.

youtu.be/v2ssbgThljU

I thought I was the only one who liked The Quick And The Dead. I've always only heard people shitting on it, giving it shit for having a female shooter and because Dicaprio's in it and shit like that. I thought it had a nice little ensemble.

Was it? Never watched.

Tombstone, it's an easy watch and enjoyable.

Duck you sucker.

NO

The propostion

One of the greatest westerns ever made. Though its technically an eastern because it's set in the outback.

youtube.com/watch?v=G7V-CW_SUos

Also Quigley Down Under.

Mad Dog Morgan is another good one. Dennis Hooper is fucking amazing in it.

youtube.com/watch?v=UI-uTldSvcQ

It had non-white people in it, that's enough for it to get the brand.

This movie blew me away when i first saw it eastwood is such a bad guy in that movie

They deserved it. The dwarf was the only innocent person in that whole town.

Watch the Sergio Sollima westerns, specially La Resa Dei Conti and Faccia A Faccia. Fucking brilliant.

You should watch Django Il Bastardo. Is a somewhat similar Spaghetti Western with some great spooky atmosphere.

The Mercenary 1968 also has some great Morricone music

>Mfw

>Trinity
Watched this recently. It's fucking hilarious. youtu.be/HC4GrJvTUOg

That eye is clearly a ravaged anus.

Isn't that from My Name Is Nobody?

Not all of them. After watching My Name is Nobody I decided to watch Doc West. It was the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. CG clip art rattlesnakes and just the worst acting and dialogue, even compared to like The Asylum movies its shit.

>ctrl+f "maverick"
>Phrase not found

It's like you guys hate fun or something.

Didn't check the video before watching came up from searching Trinity slap. Here's one from Trinity youtu.be/9C-fRdCmzDk

>hating a based Rami western
People are plebs.
I've also heard some great stories about rami handling Hackman (who has always been a huge pain in the ass to work with) like a fucking pro.

Well, sure, but pretty much anything they did from the 60s to the mid 80s was entertaining at worst and hilarious at best.

Another """""adaptation""""" of Yojimbo just like Fistful of Dollars but with a more interesting main character and great music.

The pacing drags a bit but the two main characters and their story are worth it

Based. Proof that just because you're an unasked for reboot of a tv show that no one has watched in decades doesn't mean you have to be a piece of shit.

>The Professionals
BIG BAGS OF MEXICAN GOLD

It's so easygoing and fun. One of my favorites.

youtube.com/watch?v=ovwwn0EtdN8

How's the original Wild Wild West?

The Caveman (He's the Sheriff) is kino

Really don't get the love for this movie. Besides Val Kilmer's and Kurt Russel's performance it has nothing going for it. It's so fucking cheesy. I think people just have a hard on for Wyatt Earp IRL
>Wyatt Earp writing a book called "My Friend Doc Holliday" like he's 8 years old is so bad

the "sean sean sean" theme was kinda meh