Valerian flopping

The movie flopped in the us because it's the market ran on the taste of retards, and now the critics are fighting for the movie to fail elsewhere so they don't use dominance on the market.
It actually has a lot of similarities with the movies plot.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RN6aqRFbkmE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The fucking awful choices for lead actors certainly didn't help at all.

I've never seen someone more universally reviled than Cara Delevingne. This board hates her, the media hates her, even my mother hates her. I simply cannot understand why they thought casting her was a good idea when everyone hates her.

no, it is because the leads look like aliens even without makeup
besson went full retard

I think only the male lead was a slight miscast. Someone with more charisma would've done much better. Still it's far from a deal breaker as the critics point it out to be.
I thought Cara was quite cute at times in this movie.

it's flopping because it looks like an off-brand avatar rip-off with ugly twin incest leads

Cara looks like a goblin

The source material is the only thing good about this movie. Almost everything else was shit especially the dialogues and the actors

You can't compete with the Hollywood elite. Look what happened to Warcraft.

>ugly twin incest leads
this

a prime example of what the op said. You have like maybe 3 movie references and you forcefully try to fit everything in them, and when they don't fit, you consider them shit. You're just a pleb dude, nothing more.

>shit especially the dialogues and the actors
what was in your mind actually "shit" about the dialogue and the actors?

typical amerifats. you're like the editors of "the face" magazine, who truly believed that London was the only city on Earth.

came here to post this. Valerian will have the same destiny as Warcraft, a perfectly good movie ruined because it wasn't more generic.

>nerds blindly defending this money-laundering bullcrap because muh fifth element and muh leo the professional cunny connoseur
sad tbqh

Incest has been in for, at least, the last six years, brother.

warcraft had severe pacing and tonal issues, orc and human parts felt like they were completely different movies

promoted sure, but it still grosses out most people

>pacing and tonal issues
straight out of the pleb dictionary.

Kill yourself off

Remember the time when you didn't actively follow box office figures and cared more about the movies themselves?

What did happen to Warcraft, the highest grossing video game movie of all time?

poor flow between scenes with choppy editing, human parts feel campy and cheap looking while the shreks feel more serious and high-fantasy

believe me I actually wanted to like it even without playing any of the games, I loved Moon and Dunkirk Jones seems like a top lad but the movie had some issues

yes, I was a child back then

>choppy editing
come on dude, that's simply not true. It's a straight forward story that only solely follows just the two mail leads. There is not even a place for editing mistakes. And if you're thinking that the action scenes were choppy, I just wouldn't agree.

Also if you want to talk about those things that really don't matter like "pacing", besides the slow start the movie keeps a well pace and introduces a lot of sceneries while still following the plot.

doesn't matter, it flopped and only china liked it

>realesed 8 years too late (Avatar could bring people to cinemas with CGI visuals alone)
>ideas which source material inspired feel generic now
>let's put real estate moghuls wannabe model daughter as a lead for this 190 milion euro movie
>released on the same weekend as one of the most visually stunning productions this year
>shitty marketing
>the movie itself isnt that great either, 53% on rt

What the fuck did they expect honestly? Jupiter Ascending taught them nothing apparently.

>doesn't matter
it should matter you nigger.

no incest is actually hot and if they did this instead of some CGI bullshit they could have made bank.

I knew this film was destined for Cult Classic status

>>realesed 8 years too late (Avatar could bring people to cinemas with CGI visuals alone)
it has nothing to in common with avatar you burger ass! why do you need to file down everything you see when your actual knowledge of the genre is limited to 5 blockbuster flciks?
>ideas which source material inspired feel generic now
doesn't seem the hurt all the other actual generic crap that making $ on the market
>let's put real estate moghuls wannabe model daughter as a lead for this 190 milion euro movie
irrelevant
>released on the same weekend as one of the most visually stunning productions this year
nolan has one good movie pleb, get real.
>shitty marketing
true
>the movie itself isnt that great either, 53% on rt
this are your average burger critics; youtube.com/watch?v=RN6aqRFbkmE

>it has nothing to in common with avatar you burger ass! why do you need to file down everything you see when your actual knowledge of the genre is limited to 5 blockbuster flciks?
it's a high budget sci-fi flick advertised as visually stunning and 'must see in the cinema'. It has a lot in common with avatar, the problem is people are no longer so appealed by the high end CGI. And I am europoor, you butthurt frenchie faggot.
>doesn't seem the hurt all the other actual generic crap that making $ on the market
Most of the generic shit comes out as part of the franchise, which gives it advantage. You want to realise something new, make it stand out.
>irrelevant
Leading actors are very fucking relevant, pleb.
>nolan has one good movie pleb, get real.
Agreed. And this movie just raped 'Valerian' in 'must see on big screen' category. Why would yo realese it on the same weekend is beyond me.
>this are your average burger critics
I dont thin they are rated on rt, m8. I agree that most critics are shitty, but mostly due to their low standard. So many mediocre movies get above 90% score now, that you really have to try to get 190 milion movie below that.

dude the movie is shit

this guy nailed it perfectly why.

why do you even care if that shit flopped?

I genuinely enjoyed the film once I abandoned the notion that we would get a story about the city of a thousand planets. For having that in the title the setting was hardly used. The worst part about the film for me was the rhianna death scene. There was no need to force the death emotion so we could care about the characters struggle. For gosh sakes she also died in muh Egyptian queen clothing. How would she even know that culture!?!

>it's a high budget sci-fi flick advertised as visually stunning and 'must see in the cinema'.
so virtually every blockbuster ever made? what the fuck is wrong with you dude?
>Most of the generic shit comes out as part of the franchise, which gives it advantage. You want to realise something new, make it stand out.
it does stand out, that's why burgers hate it ( and apparently they're the only ones that matter). It's too "euro" for them, whatever that means.
>Leading actors are very fucking relevant, pleb.
but you weren't talking about her acting skills, just that she comes from a rich family.
>Agreed. And this movie just raped 'Valerian' in 'must see on big screen' category. Why would yo realese it on the same weekend is beyond me.
they're marketing strategy wasn't good, I agree.
>I dont thin they are rated on rt, m8. I agree that most critics are shitty, but mostly due to their low standard. So many mediocre movies get above 90% score now, that you really have to try to get 190 milion movie below that.
critics deliberately burn movies that try something bold and award generic by the number movies. It makes their jobs easier.

I am not a burger and I see there is no point explaining to you why this piece of shit bombed.
>CRITICS CONSPIRACY AGAINST MY TOTALLY NOT GENERIC SCI-FI FLICK
>BURGERS CANT APPRECIATE TRUE 190 MILION BUDGET ARTHOUSE

no, you tried to argue that the movie was bad and lost you idiot. No need for you to explain anything more.

>box office says its shit
>critics say it's shit
if your delusion helps you sleep at night

whatever Luc

those things literally only matter to plebs and always did. If you can't argue your opinion than just fuck off and go back to watching star wars and capeshit.

>go back to watching star wars and capeshit.
You could say that if we were arguing about Knight of cups or Persona, but dont pretend that your popcorn flick is on different level than capeshit.

>There was no need to force the death emotion so we could care about the characters struggle. For gosh sakes she also died in muh Egyptian queen clothing. How would she even know that culture!?!
It wasn't forced, you're not supposed to be forced to care about an innocent person dying, you're human. As for the Egypt part, I guess most of her clients are humans so she might have known about Cleopatra, given the fact that she can also read minds and shit.

what are the odds that this is just a money laundry scheme?

>why do you even care if that shit flopped?
Isn't it obvious? He's one of many paid shills. The producers are desperate to try to more people to watch this film in the theatres.

>popcorn flick is on different level than capeshit.
it literally is. And don't pretend that you like serious movies while you can't even spot a quality action flick you lying pleb retard.

*laundering

She was a fan of Shakespeare.

>I swear guys, my CGI filled wannabe blockbuster is truly artistic experience
>I..It's not generic, just two space cops saving the world
>I...I swear it's not generic, also totally not capeshit
>fucking dumb americunts, why wont you appreciate true kino
>CRITICS ARE BOUGHT I swear guys
>p-please watch this, I am just a marketing guy, I will die of hunger if this shit fails

I wish they would collect valid criticism and start from there instead shilling their failed abortion of a movie any further.

>just two space cops saving the world
so you didn't even watch the movie. nice job pleb

Oh, look. The shill is butt hurt because he cannot trick people into watching his shitty movie.

Here's how the film could have made better which would have likely given it a better box office result:

1. Get a well-written script that tells an entertaining, coherent story.

2. Get real actors that are properly cast (look the part)

3. Use better CGI effects or practical effects. Considering that the original Star Wars trilogy ripped off some ideas from Valerian, it's astonishing that Valerian decided to look the the Star Wars prequel films.

4. Don't pander or be preachy. Sticking in token colored people or veiled references to "oppressed" colored people is not going to fly with the general public. The general public is quite stupid but they still have an intuitive sense of when something is lousy. Having a more intelligent theme is not necessarily going to fly over the heads of the hoi polloi.

Not very high. The idea behind laundering money is to make sure you recover most if not all of the money being laundered. Per the usual stated statistics, a $180 million needs about double or triple the gross to break even.

It's easier for the Chinese to launder money in the world's real estate markets.

MISCAST

yea who would have thought that a numale manlet and a goblin fridge who can't act can't carry a 200 million dollar movie?

>1. Get a well-written script that tells an entertaining, coherent story.
it has a coherent story. What you find "entertaining" is a purely subjective thing.
2. Get real actors that are properly cast (look the part)
Dane was a bit miscasted as the lead, still doesn't make the movie SHIT.
3. Use better CGI effects or practical effects. Considering that the original Star Wars trilogy ripped off some ideas from Valerian, it's astonishing that Valerian decided to look the the Star Wars prequel films.
Valerian's visuals make star wars look like a washed up piece of crap. Acquire taste pleb.
4. Don't pander or be preachy. Sticking in token colored people or veiled references to "oppressed" colored people is not going to fly with the general public. The general public is quite stupid but they still have an intuitive sense of when something is lousy. Having a more intelligent theme is not necessarily going to fly over the heads of the hoi polloi.
you either didn't watch the movie or are very sensitive Sup Forums cuck, because those political subjects are hardly a big part of the movie.

The sad thing is, I think Besson specifically Americanized aspects of this film to (in his mind) make it more appealing to a U.S. audience. He should have made it a very French movie and I suspect it would have done better.

They spent like $5 on advertising, their own fault

Whatever, shill. The fact is, not many people are watching this film. Maybe the idiots in China who eat up Michael Bay shit will watch it and help this movie break even or maybe even turn a profit.

You were smarter as a child.

he should have never even entered this project and retired with dignity.

>Dane was a bit miscasted as the lead, still doesn't make the movie SHIT.
yes it does, lead actor is most important aspect of a movie.

>Valerian's visuals make star wars look like a washed up piece of crap.
its just cheap random CGI m8, Star Wars at least has the aestethics.

It's the eyebrows on both of them that does it, that makes them look like brother and sister.

>Whatever, shill.
nice arguments pleb. Just stick to marvelshit, that's as high as your taste goes.

Or maybe it's not a conspiracy and *shock* the movie is garbage?

I went to a free review screening on release day; the movie is obnoxious at worst and tiresome at best. The two worst leads they could've chosen for such a film, CGI from 2007, a plot that is as uninspiring as it is unenjoyable and scenes that quite frankly feel pointless (i.e. any scene with rihanna and the forced marriage 'plot'). It would be nice if I could at least praise besson's cinematography and script but the lines are really cringy in some places and outside of *bright* colors various scenes are questionably shot.

Honestly, Valerian feels as dated as the comic it's based off, but with a third of the charm and no impetus to pay much attention to it. I actually gave the comic a look afterwards and it feels like the film did it a disservice.

>yes it does, lead actor is most important aspect of a movie.
but he wasn't horrible. He didn't do any worse than boyega, and they praise him.

this

>role requires a tall chad mc largehuge
>cast a manlet numale who looks like the little brother of Goblin Fridge Cara

nah m8 he is as bad as boyega.
at least boyega was the comic relief nigga

It's because it's unrecognizable to the source material which people haven't even heard of anyways, in a market already oversaturated with CGI space imagery and heavy-feeling themes. They didn't really explain what it was, and it really does look like two sickly sex-maniac chavs teasing eachother while they have to go stop the bomb or something.

>the movie is obnoxious at worst and tiresome at best
you mind explaining why you think that and not just saying it and moving on?
Also what's wrong with CGI?

I'm all for space movies, but this one was really really boring. The only plus is I didn't pay for the ticket this time around.

>They didn't really explain what it was
it was explained very well, it's just that burgers can't comprehend anything that isn't star wars when it comes to space.

And who did?

Warcraft was not 'perfectly good'. The story is forgettable sloppy and can't remember what it's doing, since it's split between telling two sides of a story without telling the story itself, and is kneecapped by being cut with convoluted Warlords of Draenor content that wasn't explained or properly incorporated.

People are tired of it, that's why Dunkirk exceeded expectations and Valerian failed. Maybe some day people will be fed up with practical effect shot in 70mm but It doesnt to be the case now.

and they're not tired of WW2 movies? come one dude...

>There is not even a place for editing mistakes.
Uh, how about in between the scenes and in every shot? You really think there is a 'normal' editing that is completely immune from issues? Like, if you're story is simple enough, the editing just comes out 'solved'? The movie was edited together out of pieces just like any other. I guarantee the editor would disagree that the movie has 'normal' and 'without room for mistakes' editing. In fact I'm sure he worked very hard on it.

The movie didn't sell overseas either. Quit crying about nationalism, you're completely wrong, and nothing about this movie is European or appreciated by Europeans.

I am not, and box office suggests I am not the only one. How many big budget WWII movies do we get per year, anyway. And Dunkirk was actually pretty refreshing, unlike most WWII movies
>great sound design
>shot in 70 mm
>no boring backstories, whole movie focused on the evacuation from Dunkirk
>no CGI at all

You aren't convincing anyone. All you're doing is lying to yourself that Europe cares, and screaming how America is dumb, while also being totally facetious and hypocritical about 'what matters' since apparently an integral part of your experience with this movie is anonymous Sup Forums opinions.

I think that somewhat cute girls who are hated are hot, but that's probably because the only girl who would be interested in me would HAVE to have no other options.

>not tired of ww2 movies
Nope. People aren't. Also Dunkirk differentiated itself by being extremely reverent to the meaningful historical event, and having the dignity of being a historical experience. The elderly came to see it in the spirit of respecting veterans, and they were entirely satisfied. Dunkirk is reverent and respectable. It's definitely it's own thing, and not just a world war 2 movie.

But I guess more people seeing and liking a movie doesn't mean anything to you, to determine if people wanted to see it and liked it.

whatever you say, Cara

this
Nolan Kino > CGI dreck about space refugees or some shit

I already saw Dunkirk 2 times in the cinema, this valerian shit doesn't even get any screening anymore kek.

The plot is shit, the actors have no chemistry, the visuals are horrendous (movies are NOT supposed to look like videogames) and nobody here has ever heard of the source material.

wut?