History Degree

Is getting a History degree essentially a waste of my time and money?

Please reply

Yes unless you go into a service profession with it

Stem/trade/professional or bust user

Yes. Complete waste

ayup

Yes. You will think you are a philosopher, but you won't be. You will think you are a writer, but you won't be. You'll be the guy who knows the most about the Inquisition but insists this means he's an expert on modern art.

>pay man with a history degree to teach you history
>earn degree
>hope to be able to teach history to other people who want a history degree

don't care about your thread but here is a bump for posting best girl.

I have a friend with a history degree. He worked in a grocery store in high school. He still works in a grocery store 5 years after graduating college.

Then I have made my bed, and now I must lie in it.

No. History is a great thing. However, you are not going to be able to use it right away because of academic politicization. Look into small conservative private colleges like Hillsdale.

>Thinking modern art is any good at all; art-wise or on any philosophical level
I've made better shits with more meaning and skill than most Modern "artists."

If you want to be a teacher or get an easy pre-law degree.

unless you also get a certification to teach high school history it is worthless. just study history on your own; it will be a waste of money to get a degree in it.

Don't do it. I'm taking a History degree. You learn stuff, it opens your eyes, but nothing more.
Run away while you can...

Fuck I'm almost done with a history degree,

Can I get into law school or something?

If you want steady employment and income, yes.

I only have a school year left on it though. I don't want to give up on it now.

I'm studying history. I'm good at it and I love history but I never wanted to go to uni.

Probably, I mean I've never had a job. I'm fucked.

Get ready for the September LSATs.

Forgot my cartoon reaction image

History is great, but not in a professional way. History is a terrible study with awful job prospects. Pick a real study and history courses in your minor or just read history books as a hobby.

Well, I have two remaining. We are fucked basically.

Yeah, but it feels better knowing I'm not the only one.

Lots of successful people are college drop-outs. Just do what you want to do.

yes you dumbass. When is the last time you had to call a History degreean for his services, or ever when to the History degreeans office, or even been recently reminded of their existence? It's a meme degree (just as college itself) that will suck you into debt for a piece of paper.

Yes, how the fuck would studying history help you get a job.

If you plan to use a degree as your only leverage for a job. Fact is there are plenty of jobs you can get by being smart, practical and personable.

>When is the last time you had to call a History degreean for his services

when i needed a pizza

If you are thinking about academical carrier,why not.Otherwise you'd better be search mcdonalds jobs now.
>even in turkey history degree is crap

who /an hero/ here?

Go to school for the job, not the degree. What did you honestly think you could use it for? It's never too late to change majors.

More appealing each day, my history brother.

you can become an english teacher in asia i guess

I've thought about it, but wouldn't I be better suited with a degree in English or Education?

i'm getting one to either become an archeologist if i'm lucky or to become a teacher, i wanted to be one of those since i was old enough to read, don't listen to other people's opinion on what you choose for your future, follow your dreams lad, follow your dreams

International Relations degree over here. Essentially in the same boat as you. Your two choices are to be a historian or an academic for the rest of your life, or go get a law degree and make some use out of that degree you just wasted your time getting. Or you could be an entrepreneur if you have capital to invest.
Hey! I remember that shooting! Didn't know they had a first-person vid of it, that's really interesting!

>tfw a semester away from graduating with a history degree and reading this thread

WHAT THE FUCK

SO MY ADVISOR JUST FUCKING LIED TO ME ABOUT JOB PROSPECTS?

THEY SAID MY DEGREE WOULD BE VERSATILE AND THAT I COULD DO ANYTHING

THEY SAID BIG BUSINESSES LOVE HIRING HISTORY MAJORS

WHAT THE FUCK

OH GOD I'M SORRY MOM

you're not seriously listening to Sup Forums's opinion about this?

International Relations is actually my 2nd major, hahahahahaaa....

Don't be sad OP you purposed your passion which is noble but unfortunately that doesn't cut it in the real world sometimes. Find a professional route (MD, JD, MBA) and expect a few more years of school and a lot more debt unless you are okay with being a wage slave to a corporation

I'm autistic

**pursued

Look guys, the advisors will say whatever it takes to get you into their degree field.

HOWEVER; they're not entirely wrong. If you complete a history degree you (probably) are not retarded, can write clearly and stick with a program for at least 4 years. These are all good qualities.

The trick is you need to make sure you can apply your intelligence to practical problems, speak in a manner that will convey your confidence without being arrogant or pretentious and (the hardest of all) SELL YOURSELF. Even if you have the wrong degree for a job, interview for it. Be personable, passionate and positive and you'll win through.

It isnt useless, but you certainly could've chosen another course, if you wanted to find work in that field.

These qualities apply to any degree. Why not then choose one that has value by itself?

>Is getting a History degree essentially a waste of my time and money?

You guys are necessary to preserve the glorious history of what Western civilization was. Preserve it so that we can come back yet again one day.

Technically, it will help you but only minimally. You need to leverage other skills and experiences. If you're lacking in other areas, you're fucked.

Presumably he's already sunk thousands of dollars, time, effort and such into his degree.

I'm hoping my learning of foreign languages will bail me out.

I'll probably get a history degree in like 20 years when the college extortion rate goes down. Thank god I didn't rely on college to break into my career lol

I'm going to do it because I actually want to be educated and not trained for a job.

To answer you question, yes it is a waste or money if you're looking to get a job with a history degree. If you take the course just because you love history and want to learn more than no it isn't a waste

A noble pursuit, but on the same level as being a philosopher. A patrician with no money.

You're probably going to have to bullshit your way up from here on out. Get pseudo-alpha at the very least with your multiple languages and hopefully they hire you out of need for a tool to increase diversity.

you will learn only jewish propaganda so yes... but you can do the radical way and be revolutionary