Remind me why this was panned again?

Remind me why this was panned again?

I've just watched it and thought it was fantastic.

pleb detected

I liked it. The end felt a little rushed. ScarJo was a little too heavy for the role after her baby and it was distracting. I don't remember the original because it's been years since I saw it so I don't know how it compares.

Why do you keep making this thread

It's different from the original source aimed at teenagers

It was really good desu. I thought it would be terrible but it wasn't. Guess the plebs didn't liked very much.

No need to announce your entry into the thread.

Yeah I agree about the rushed ending and thiccness of Scarjo.

At least I'm not alone!

pleb detected

>Remind me why this was panned again?

Bad writing. Pretty much everything in the movies is explained to you twice.

Yes.
I especially loved how bad corporation turned innocent teenagers, who loved each other into mindless cyborgs.

>ITT normies that have never watched the source material

>dude my deep source material for intellectuals such as myself!

>Tv show about how corruptible the govt is.

Opps can't have that in an american movie. Let's change it to corporations.

It's been a while since I watched it, I remember thinking it was okay. Vastly overrated.

>dude implying lmao

You mean the source material that has been changed twice, 3 times if you count the stage play.

And who is corrupting the government?

fuck off scarjo

disney/marvel anti-marketing shills.

Cara pls leave

>Believing the '95 film is the source material

>muh manga
literally no one gave a fuck about it
people remember the movies
same for Akira, Nausicaa etc.

None of what you said detracts from the fact the manga is the source material you fucking mong.

Depends on which episode at the time. Mob, Crooked politicians, Big business.

For this movie, animated film was a source.

I care because it shows that Hollywood doesn't understand why these movies are popular. We didn't need a lover plot shoved into this movie.

loud slander campaign by essjaydubs for "muh whitewashing"

Not really though, they're adaptations of one another. 2017 is as different as 1995 is to the manga.

Just stop.
They clearly based movie on animated film.
I bet they never even looked at manga or anything past 1st movie.

Sorry tripsbro but I don't agree with you. Sure they took some visuals and copied them (intro, flooded fight scene, spider tank scene) but I still stand by what I've said.

They copied entire film. Some parts - shot by shot.
Just dumbed down and simplified plot. Nothing else.

Btw, i still do not know what villain in movie tried to achieve.

The 'villain' (assuming you mean Hideo) was trying to kill the people who made him what he was.

He was trying to get his wife. The major back.

Oh. i forgot it was so simple and retarded.
By why he needed human worshippers and stuff?

>his wife
?
They were kids m8. Literally teenagers.

No he wasn't, he was literally killing those who made him. Clearly stated in the warnings he left at the murder scenes.

>Worshippers
He was using them as proxies

Do you people actually watch these movies or do you just sit there playing on your phone?

they literally turned it into a young adult movie

Most of the bad press was pushed by the lazy "white washing" virtue signaling. People who had no idea what the movie was about anyway. Scarlett Johansson looked like the character to me and the Japanese don't give two shits about american navel gazing issues. They "japanese wash" all the time when adapting Korean and American storylines as well as deliberately use white people in advertising because they stand out.

lt was an almost a totally superficial adaptation of the franchise, but it was faithful and captured the visuals really well.
The plot is no deeper than a kiddie pool, and the 'twist' and 'romance' afterwards felt hamfisted as hell.
ScarJo's major is too emotionless, almost like she or the director based her performance solely on the English dub of the first movie.
Overall it was alright, not 'bad' but I'd rather watch S.A.C. again.
I'd love a sequel that focuses more on the universe and world rather than the major herself.

>she and Kuze meet, and recall their past lives as anti-augmentation radicals who were abducted by Hanka for use as test subjects.

You guys clearly need to rewatch the film.

>Do you people actually watch these movies or do you just sit there playing on your phone?
I know it proxies.
But why? Why humans, how it worked?
It is all so dumb.
Just for the visuals, no meaning at all.

Even scene with a garbage truck. In anime they follow man, who you think actual puppetmaster.
But in movie they trying to catch actual truck drivers. So dumb.

That wasn't his sole purpose. He didn't even know his name or why he was seeing the glitches until the end of the film.

He originally set out to murder the scientists who made him. His priorities only changed when he discovered Major whisky she was in the Deep Dive.

I believe it is you who needs to rewatch the film.

I loved the movie for the same reasons I loved the 95 animated one:

Beautiful visuals, great setting, great atmosphere and the soundtrack (which I hope the 2017 version will finally get a release of).
Don't try to tell me the original movie had depths or a great plot.

Yes. They were rebellious teenagers.
They run from home, meet at this shelter and fall in love.

Whilst*

t. Patrician

Ignore these naysaying plebs user

I saw the trailer to this movie and heard people git upset its not a Japanese actress. I thought the complaint made sense. Then I watched the movie and realized the japanese girls' brain got hijacked by the entreprise and put into scarjo's robot body. How does it not make perfect sense for the story that she wouldnt have an asian appearance? The entreprise didnt care about preserving her memories, they obviosuly also dont care about preserving her appearance. It's actually better for the story that she's a different race now.

Because it's okay when Japan takes western ideas and totally "adapts" them for their audience but is bad and wrong when others do the same.
At least this is a common ground where lefties "muh cultural appropriation" and no culture right wingers that have absorbed japanese culture as their own can agree on

>movie is 90% exposition
>entire plot hinges on amnesia
>rips off the Robocop reboot
>Joel Schumacher Gotham City aesthetics
>"we made you a new body (a synthetic shell), but your ghost (your soul) is still in here." This is an actual line of dialogue spoken in the first five minutes of the film.

>Story written over two decades ago rips off a film made a couple of years ago

Decent film. Best part Major & Batou friendship. Visually and aesthetically very good.

That face she's making reminds me of Tommy Wiseau's face on the cover of The Room.

It's a good point

HANKA HANKA

>he thinks the source material is "le reddit deep"

Ghost in the Shell certainly has some interesting ideas and concepts that pushed along the sci-fi genre as a whole considerably. But as a piece of film making it is barely good. Go tip your fedora somewhere else

>Remind me why this was panned again?

numales who have never even seen the anime bitched about it before it even came out because "OMG WHY IS A WHITE ACTOR PLAYING A FICTIONAL JAP ROBOT?!?!"

>movie is 90% exposition
>entire plot hinges on amnesia
Yea, I'll give you these.
>rips off the Robocop reboot
This is almost as ignorant as the people as the people who say it ripped off the matrix.
>Joel Schumacher Gotham City aesthetics
What the fuck are you talking about?

Within the first 5 minutes of the movie they say GHOST and SHELL

fucking dropped

>someone took the time to make that
>someone bothered to save it
>someone bothered to repost it

Was gonna reply but this user nailed my feelings on this film.

t. numale

the way the film foreshadows the philosophical discussion with the Puppet Master through a conversation where Motoko and Togusa discuss the diversification of Section 9 and again when Motoko sees a copy of herself was masterful story telling and I seriously doubt you picked up on either one of them.

I can't imagine how anyone could like this unless you just enjoy being contrarian. I don't give one shit about the whitewashing or SJW stuff at all, that has nothing to do with how terrible this movie was.

The tone, the pacing, just everything was wrong compared to a real movie. The characters were lifeless and uninteresting, especially Scarlett who acted like she was still in Under the Skin. The villain was the most generic evil bad guy, jesus that was bad.

The CLIMAX of the movie is a Hobbit-CGI-tier boss battle with a spider tank (which is somehow shittier than just a normal tank- can't hit any of its shots and dies from a top panel being ripped off), and it just ends. Mr. 'I'm a bad ass' asian guy just executes the villain elsewhere with no effort.

Why can't these people find a competent writer to go with their expensive visuals

I like it. I don't think it's good or great. Nor bad or terrible. Decent film.

t. Pleb

do corporations corrupt the government or does the government corrupt corporations? makes u think

The answer is that it doesn't matter, never allow them in a room together.

damn Sam Hyde is a nu-male?

I don't care what any of you say, ScarJo is hotter now than she's been since after the breast reduction.

Thicc Scarjo>MCU ScarJo

This tbph

Post qt Whitewashed Major

She looked good in GITS.

>Corporation in film whitewashes the Jap to White.
dat meta commentary :)

this

The fact of the matter is the first fully prosthetic designer body ever produced would be an attractive Caucasian. If this really happened ,we absolutely would see people race changing, and the Japanese and Koreans would be among the first to do it. Not everyone would go for it, but it would happen and it would happen fast.

The best thing about the franchise is the tv series, you faggot. SAC is really fucking great, and this hollywood jew shit shouldn't get to use the same name.

Don't South Koreans go for plastic surgeries that make their facial features look more Caucasian/white?

Does same happen in Japan?

She looks terrible, dude. Her face has smashed into the wall.

>Don't South Koreans go for plastic surgeries that make their facial features look more Caucasian/white?
One of the most popular plastic surgeries there removes their epicanthic fold leading to a European eye shape. Personally I wouldn't want them all to do it because some Asians are qt but I like the increase in variety on principle.

>Does same happen in Japan?
Less than in Korea but yes.

I disagree. But I've always liked older women.

>this new body is like...a shell
>your mind will be in it... like a ghost

Almost turned it off right there.

>I guess I really am...the ghost in the shell
I walked out of the theater right there

The major shouldn't look older than 16-18, desu. I don't see why anyone would choose to look older than late teen.

I think she looks good. Not that I watched this film for that. Part I liked most was actually her and Batou's relationship.

>The major shouldn't look older than 16-18, desu. I don't see why anyone would choose to look older than late teen.
Men peak physically in their early to mid 10's. Women usually but not always peak younger. Some people would choose it. Many would choose to look like made up and edited 30 year old Scar Jo and you're kidding yourself if oyu think otherwise.

It was really fantastic. But this is an imageboard, and people here prefer anime. I thought the anime sucked balls compared to the kino.

>10's
and by this I mean 20's.

In anime, the Japanese people almost look aryan, with colorful hairstyles. If they'd be given the choice, there'd be a hundred million more white people on the world.

>10's

Wut

I've seen the film and few episodes of the first season. The film was great, one of my favorites, yet I do still think this 2017 film is decent watch, not bad.

It's torn between being faithful and doing it's own thing. When it's trying to be faithful it's simply inferior to the original and when it's doing it's own thing, it's never sufficiently explored because of all the time spent on being another movie. That said I wouldn't say it's bad, just mediocre and I know people who haven't seen the original who have said they liked it quite a bit.

wasn't bad but if you enjoyed the original's themes and ideas they were just severely dumbed down and commercialized in this adaptation. not even mad about the casting. Scarjo could've pulled off the perfect Major but I think they messed with her characterization in this movie way too much and we got an inferior version instead.

If it was the same movie but directed by Lynch - it would be considered a masterpiece.

Fat piggy.

Not even the point.
People are saying it's not a bad movie, but it's different from the source material. It's not comparable.

the jews

>Ow mah laygz!
-Motoko Kusanagi

>>original source aimed at teenagers

clearly didn't watch the original, or the sequal

C'mon user, you need to post the other poster. You know the one I'm talking about.

good movie

just finished this

KINO