To what extent is it necessary to watch "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" prior to watching the new series?

To what extent is it necessary to watch "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" prior to watching the new series?

I marathoned the first 45 minutes of the film a few months ago, and don't feel like watching the whole film.

Its pretty important.

You won't even have context for Harry Dean Stanton and the trailer park or the woodsman/ "convenience store meeting"

Extremely.

it's essential

I was just about to ask this. Thanks OP.

if you don't enjoy it enough to even watch a 2 hour film why are you even watching it at all?

Because I expect that the film and the different series might differ in quality.

>I marathoned the first 45 minutes of the film
Hahahaha

FWWM is a near masterpiece. It's important to S1 and S2, and important to S3.

Thanks for the input people. I guess I'll watch it then.

You're welcome, kind stranger.

Then watch missing pieces.

Do not expect a warm film. Do not expect memes. Do not expect safety.

Now leave this thread and go watch it.

i'm watching the original show for the first time, should i watch the movie after or before?

After S2

thanks, started a week ago and loving it so far.

Watching it before would ruin everything.

Have fun user.

Season 3 is fucking insane I tell you. I waited for this 19 years (I saw TP in the 90s first time) and it's been amazing ride so far.

after the end of S02 and see if you can get the 3 1/2 hour cut with all the Missing Pieces edited back in tbqhfam

No, watch the original FWWM as Lynch made it first.

Then watch the missing pieces on their own.

i'll download both and watch the original cut first i guess. is there anything wrong with the remastered edition?

No. Remaster looks beautiful, a great remaster.

>accidentally watch the missing pieces thinking it's the actual movie
>think I was just getting LYNCHED the whole time

That must've not made much sense. What did you think was happening in the "film"?

aight, thanks a bunch user(s), i'll catch up with you in a few weeks in the general.

I still got the main gist of the actual movie. Watching the whole movie was just adding sauce to what I got from the missing pieces. For example Laura's decent into degeneracy and her fear of her father got across just fine.

>watch Q2 fan edit the first time on purpose
>three and a half hours of pure fucking bliss
I'll never understand why Lynch didn't do a version like this himself

FWWM is pure essential Twin Peaks. It's better than the series.

Yeah, there's a bunch of important references that pop up in season 3, but you should watch it because it's one of Lynch's best movies.

It helps you ease into it because it's very similar from a storytelling sense. The first two seasons are very soap-opera like, but the movie is slow and methodical; much different than the seasons 1&2. Season 3 follows the same style as FWWM

Season 3 is nothing like FWWM imho. Sure in the sense that it is not like S1 or S2, it is same as FWWM because FWWM wasn't similar to S1 or S2 either.

S3 is very unique,.

I agree that S3 is completely a thing of its own, I guess I meant it makes the transition easier.

But the first 30 minutes or whatever of FWWM is similar in that you're dropped into a seemingly
random story that has nothing to do with Laura Palmer (but later you find out everything does)

>Watch the first four episodes when they're aired, back to back no breaks.
>Feel like being skullfucked for 240 minutes.
S3 release was hell of a day.

how did Sheryl Lee become such a good actress between the series and FWWM? or was she just directed to be retarded in the series?

She was fine in both imo.What didnt you like about her in s1-2?

I hate every single one of you ADHD riddled motherfuckers

Hey, calm down friendo. I rarely have problems finishing anything in one sitting.

And I have to admit that not finishing FWWM might not have had much to do with the film itself. It did have a lot to do with the context in which I was watching it.

What in the film is absolutely essential to know prior to watching season 3?

Because I would say you would do fine just watching the first two seasons.

The movie is a prequel anyway.

I haven't seen the film but I understand everything going on in S3.

I will watch it one day though.

It's only the story of Laura Palmer, you know - NOTHING essential.

Tell me the context of Harry Dean Stanton's character.

Yeah but what did the movie actually tell us that we didnt already know?

Is that what that film is to you? You want just cliff notes about facts? The emotions of Palmer don't matter to you?

I've never seen FWWM and I'm watching the new season. Should I watch it anyway?

Who Pillip Jeffries is
What is going on in the convenience store
The relevance of electricity and its relation to the Arm
Etc etc

watch FWWM for naughty laura ;)

Same, I watch it with my dad so he fills the blanks, plus the threads on here. I mainly watch it because its one of few shows on tv to make me laugh

Yeah, not really. You piece all that together over the course of the show. Just seemed like a retread to me.

Okay, magic Bowie was sort of important.

Why do you even care about the show if you don't care about the characters (one of which is its central character even).

You literally know exactly what happened to her by about the middle of season 2. Whats the point of actually seeing it, other than watching Ray Wise act like a retard for an hour?

But you don't know her.

Is character just a cliff note that happened to you? Why are you even interested in film or tv. You could jsut read sparknotes.

Oh come on, dont pretend that she's some deep character. Raped by daddy, fucked in the head in the way an armchair psychologist would think. Toss in the shit about the demonic lighting technician that they fucking made up on the fly and there you go.

Please tell me season 3 is not as slow and meandering as half of season 2 is.

Why do you even bother with the show when that's your interest to its characters (which is: none at all)

Good post OP. I was having the same question recently.

Finished seasons 1&2 back in like March and I was trying to wait until the new season is over so I can just marathon the whole season at once. Was wondering if beforehand if FWWM was necessary and so far other anons say yes.

1 > 2 > FWWM > Missing Pieces > 3

If you skip any you haven't seen Twin Peaks.

WHy wouldn't you watch it anyways, without asking? I mean it's part of Twin Peaks.

The new series is really, really shit.
I'm only still watching it to try and prove myself wrong, but I don't think it is ever going to happen. Each episode is just as bad or worse than the last.

You're in a unique position, because you can experience the brilliance of the original Twin Peaks for the first time. Don't spoil it for yourself by watching the bullshit new series. The only thing you need and should watch is Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me. Forget the new series even exists.

But to answer your question, you don't actually have to watch Fire Walk With Me to "get" the new series. The new series is so inconsequential to anything in the world of Twin Peaks that even normies (the majority of posters and fans of the new series on Sup Forums) get by just fine without actually having seen, or understanding, the movie or the original show. There are throwbacks, and references, but these are not ones of any substance, they are merely put into the new series so normies can go "I clap when I see things I remembered!"

>The new series is really, really shit.
Plebs get filtered every episode, nice.

>The new series is so inconsequential to anything in the world of Twin Peak
Hilarious since it is the complete opposite since it even uses Frost's Twin Peaks novel as a source material (thus, being even more connected to the world)

>I clap when I see things I remembered!"
Of course you fucking idiot, its a third season. Of course it would have its things in its world.

Sounds like you are just really fucking stupid. Like legitimately.

Holy shit just watch original series and the movie, it's not even that much stuff. The movie is like 2 hours long. You don't skip chapters when you read books. Why does this question always come up?

If you thought Superhuman Nadine was bad, then you will not like Season 3.

Is this a meme? I mean, it says at the beginning in pretty fucking big letters, "deleted and extended scenes".

>there are people only now getting around to watching twin peaks

I know. I was retarded. I thought it was supposed to be like a "the events you're about to watch are based on a true story" type of thing.

>implying the show wasn't slow and meandering since episode 1