Kong Skull Island

Just watched this and it was pretty good. Holds up to Peter Jackson's Kong film from 2005.

Did you like it? And what do you make of this whole Warner Bros./Legendary's attempt at a MonsterVerse franchise using Kong and Godzilla?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xyH952sWHdo
youtube.com/watch?v=uNx4RbeSpYM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

in my top 10 films of 2017 so far.

amazing cinematography and very clever fourth wall deconstruction of the genre

Considering I had no desire to see a King Kong movie, it was pretty good.

Pretty good except for the helicopter sequence. All they literally had to do was fucking gain elevation and they could shoot Kong with impunity. Plus Vietnam era helicopter insertion tactics were to come in at 3,000 feet then dive into the LZ when they were right on top of it.

youtu.be/xyH952sWHdo

I really enjoyed it. Was surprised that the director was such a young and relatively unheard of dude (unless I'm missing something), but he did a great job.

Liked the Vietnam War era setting, enjoyed the stranded WW2 veteran. All in all it was just a nice and fresh approach to what could've been "just another monster movie".

This shot alone makes it better than Peter Jackson's one.

>New Godzilla movie
>boring as shit
>New King Kong movie
>actually fun

Holy shit, did a movie studio actually learn from their mistakes?

I can't even name 10 good films from 2017 so far.

Same, I just watched this on a whim, having no real interest in King Kong movies, but it was some solid entertainment. Good directing, good list of A-list actors accompanied by great B-list actors. Even though I personally thought the last Godzilla movie was a bit of a let down, this movie was great and gives me hope for the future of this Monsterverse thing they're doing.

Incidentally, does this Monsterverse only include Kong, Godzilla, and all the creatures associated with those franchises, or is there more to explore?

What was boring about Godzilla? I liked it as much as Kong.

I enjoyed it. Fine performances by John C Reilly, Sam Jackson, and some of the other minor soldier characters. Even Briest Larson wasn't bad.

Some of the CGI in the bone graveyard threw me off, it just looked super dumb but overall was a really great monster flick.

>Incidentally, does this Monsterverse only include Kong, Godzilla, and all the creatures associated with those franchises, or is there more to explore?

Leaks show that there may be more monsters, they probably just want to surprise us

The skullcrawlers looked kinda fake, I couldn't picture something like that existing in the past, but the final fight against the final boss skullcrawler was pretty cool.

I'm not than user but I also thought Godzilla was a bit boring. I was really hyped for that movie but it just felt empty to me. Too much of a focus on human characters and way, way too little screentime for Godzilla. Though I hope he comes into his own with the next movie. Having Godzilla face off with, what was it, three of his major enemies sounds like a lot of fucking fun

The main character and his wife had as much emotion as a piece of cardboard.

What leaks?
I know they're introducing Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah in the next Godzilla movie. I just can't think of any giant monster franchises they could pull into this Cinematic Universe. Unless they scrape the bottom of the barrel and give us Cloverfield, or go mecha and get Pacific Rim involved somehow.

I hope Legendary buys motherfucking Gamera.

Jet Jaguar is the best Godzilla monster. Fight me.

Surprisingly good. Samuel Jackson on form as usual and I'm always happy to see based Shea Whigham in anything.
As for the MonsterVerse thing? It has a hell of a lot more chance to be big than Universal's Dark Universe. If these Godzilla and Kong films are big in Japan they'll do great.

Cloverfield just stay alone in it's own universe, it's more of a horror than a monster movie.

I enjoyed it once I realized it wasn't trying to be good

He was the best part

>The world is bigger than this
>Bitch please!

It was already pretty good, but then they gave Kong a fucking propeller on a chain as a weapon and then it turned GOAT

This is the best western Kaiju movie ever made. Nothing else even remotely comes close.

Gamera.... uh....
Yeah I can't think of anything else.

it never will be so stfu
kong was a fukn snorefest my guy, at least g14 had cool fight scenes that demonstrated well the scale of the whole thing and how massive these creatures are

>two of the best movies of the year have monkeys in them
I'm liking this trend.

Someone told me that Mothra, Ghidorah and shit was in the end credit teaser but I felt fucked over since they were just cave paintings. Still, that new Godzilla movie's gotta be amazing

2017, humanity is introduced to the Monkino

So far the monsters are:

Warner Bros./Universal/Cooper/Who the fuck actually owns the rights to the character?
>King Kong

Toho
>Godzilla (2014)
>Mothra (2019)
>Rodan (2019)
>King Ghidora (2019)

Legendary
>Male MUTO (2014)
>Female MUTO (2014)
>Skullcrawler (2016)
>five other kaiju on Skull Island (2016)

There's nothing planned after Godzilla vs. Kong (2020), but it's possible that Godzilla and Kong could team up against a powerful kaiju.

Lots of people like Jet Jaguar both ironically and unironically.

Japan was the third biggest market for Godzilla 2014 behind America and China.

Japan was the fourth biggest market for Kong: Skull Island behind China, America, and Great Britain.

As far as a kaiju piquing public interest there's only Gamera that's left, and that would primarily be in Japan. Godzilla, King Kong, and Mothra are the most well-known kaiju worldwide and are already being used.

They could try to remake a movie like The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. If they wanted to do something crazy they could remake The Giant Claw and give him a better design. That'd certainly make waves on the internet.

Good to see Japan seems to enjoy the Hollywood take on their kaiju movies.

Remake Reptillicus for the highly sought after Dutch market.

>This entire thread
This movie was a hunk of shit, and one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Everything about it was predictable garbage. The movie it self had no idea what tone it wanted to have (funny? serious? campy?) so instead it just throws in whatever it wants to try to hook the marvel audience. The soundtrack sucked my ass. The visuals were fucking garbage too, and had this piss tone over everything. All of the characters were bad, you can interchange any character with another and it would still be the same movie.

SHIT!

>all this praise
It was fucking dogshit. The visuals for the most part are completely empty flair. The music is so fucking on the nose that it's impossible to be immersed. There's no mystery, no suspense, no sense of awe, no sense of dread, just absolutely no sense of emotion. There's just dumb characters in empty action scenes. It literally feels like a video game.
For all the problems of Godzilla had, it at least attempted to be more tgan a dumb flick.

these people are the retards responsible for us getting shit movies like this week after week.

youtube.com/watch?v=uNx4RbeSpYM

Anybody hyped for the next Legendary Godzilla movie?

Wasn't that Danish?

I liked it. I don't go into a kaiju movie to be blown back by the characters and story. In fact I dislike most kaiju movies by default. Yet this one struck a chord with me. Good cinematography, good acting, interesting story. It was way better than a kaiju movie deserves to be.

I've been waiting since Godzilla 2014. I can't even believe it'll be five years once the sequel comes out. I'm pretty hyped for King Ghidorah and interested to see how they'll design him.

It's going to be great. I hope they keep Mothra's elegant and colorful design rather than some ugly real moth.

the samuel vs. kong napalm scene was pure kino.

I really loved the Godzilla 2014, the mutos we're awesome in my opinion. Great shots but yeah boring character drame. but this Kong flick was just stupid and boring. Compared to the Jackson film... The Jackson film was close to kino.

The last monster movie that was great andbfun to me was Deep Rising. Great schlock. I also enjoyed Pacific Rim

Why not remake THEM?