Why are they so acclaimed nowadays when in the 90s they were the Industry's punchline?

Why are they so acclaimed nowadays when in the 90s they were the Industry's punchline?

The Walking Dead

They went from a dumping ground for rejected Big 2 pitches to a dumping ground for glorified TV pilots. That's not to say there isn't good stuff at Image, but a lot of the acclaimed series over there right now are basically low key television pilots or film pitches.

Creators finally started telling good stories.
Plus hipsters have to read something other than capes, but finding legitimately good obscure comics is too hard.

The Walking Dead, Saga, Bone and The Maxx. And they ain't completely out of the woods yet, they still publish Youngblood.

That, and other companies wilted into shitpiles around them.

Bone isn't an Image original though.

>Plus hipsters have to read something other than capes, but finding legitimately good obscure comics is too hard.
This. That's why I started reading them. It's either capes, Image, or spending more time hunting for comics than actually reading them.

Here's the true secret dawg. Hopefully you already know it, but as a hipster you'll claim you did anyway.
Franco-belgian comics

Well theres always Dark Horse.

>Stuff like Saga and Walking dead.
>More well known creators working for them.
>They're now like the big two of no big two. Don't like capes, Image is the next famous destination.

A lot of Image isn't really good, but people get swayed over by the brand name

Because they are acclaimed for their current creator-encouraging and genre-encompassing form and not the 90s ex-DC shitfest. What a retarded question, OP

Just follow your favourite creator wherever he/she goes,

Overrated hipster trash.

They're 00's Vertigo. They're literally modeling themselves on it. All they're doing is pandering to cultural trends, like vertigo effectively pandered to edgy 90s nihilism.

>A lot of Image isn't really good, but people get swayed over by the brand name
A lot of Image is released on a crappy schedule, because the creators know there's nobody to hold them to it.

Pretty decent hipster trash.

They're great if you like the Mignolaverse. Nothing else ever lasts.

Image does have a lot of legitimately good stuff though.

>punchline

Didn't they have spawn, which was big enough to get his own movie and own HBO show?

Overrated doesn't instantly mean bad. Something can be decent and overrated at the same time. In fact, that's the usual way of things.

Give Action Labs a look.

Lots of legit good stuff recently, especially from their Danger Zone collection.

Vertigo died and Image took the market of non cape funny books

This is a pretty stupid comment, nobody reads just Image and only Image. Unless by legitimately good obscure comics you mean Fantagraphics or eurocomics most people who read Image also look into Vertigo and Boom and whatnot, they are no harder to find than Image.

Dark Horse essentially exists to publish Mignola books and I'm okay with that

Because the industry is now the punchline. At least Image is a good joke.

>Franco-belgian comics
This x1000. When I think back on all the time I wasted with capeshit trash I want to cry.

Image was always a strong third-place contender behind Marvel and DC. Especially in the 90's.

If anything, their place has probably weakened a little since then.

They weren't really the industry's punchline in the 90s. They were much more of a punchline in the early 00s when their Spawn and Top Cow type stuff finally became seen as passe. In the 90s they were hated by Gary Groth types who didn't understand that any steps towards the institutionalization of creator rights was a good thing, regardless of what form it took, and Marvel and DC readers who wanted to get their company war on.

I honestly don't understand why image get's so much hate on this board when the Big Two are constantly just putting out shit for the most part.

Image has some pretty high quality books, if not JUST for the art. It's got diverse LOOKING books.

I'm not into too much big two now a days unless it has an artist that pulls me in. DC is pretty much similar across all the titles. Marvel's pulling me with Moon Knight, Dr. Strange, and that's about it.

What are some good BDs with solid stories? I really like Tintin and Blake and Mortimer. I read some Druillet and Moebius and I mean the art was astonishing but I kind of need both.

2008 is when Image tried again to gain traction but they had to compete closely with IDW until spring 2012.

Didn't some bad shit happen to writers at Vertigo and now Image is the preferred imprint?

It's not like a bad incident or anything. It's just that you don't own anything that you do.

>imprint
You what mate.

Anyway, the bad shit at Vertigo is that creators don't get to keep adaptation rights. Instead, Warner Bros keeps a tight hold on adaptation rights for Vertigo comics. So creators go to Image instead if they think that their comics have a chance at film/tv adaptations.

This and Karen Berger leaving begins the era nuVertigo (marked by most ongoings made during that era not lasting at least over a year and more minis made).

I feel like Vertigo must have changed this though considering there are actually people doing comics for them again.

It was hard to take them seriously when Silvestri / Top Cow doing Cyberforce as a lame x men rip off. And Liefeld was at maximum Liefeld, doing Youngblood, Bloodwulf, Bloodstrike, Bloodpool, and Blood blood bloody pouch gun man.

They're still the same garbage quality. Every other publisher just happened to sink even lower than them.

they grew up. Marvel didn't

Yeah, it seems like they're giving more of a shit. Too bad Jamie S. Rich being the new guy in charge means a lot more twee is going to come in.