How did Blade Runner in 1982 make a better looking film than anything since then?

How did Blade Runner in 1982 make a better looking film than anything since then?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2D38wnITUeI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It is pretty fuckin amazing kiddo

Autism

Seen it in my local cinema couple years ago, it looked better on the big screen than any other film I seen that year.

p r a c t i c a l e f f e c t s f a m

Watch
More
Films

Name something that's better looking

They did a lot of the sfx compositing in camera directly onto the film. So it gave more of an impression that what you were seeing was real instead of a cgi shitfest like modern cinema.

>Exhaustive effort put into sets, props, costumes, and visual effects (mostly limited to matte paintings and out of focus background objects as it should be)
>Great use of locations (Union Station, Bradbury Building, Deckard's apartment was a copy of a Frank Lloyd Wright house with some futuristic touches)
>Tone dictated dim lighting, decay and trash everywhere in most scenes which hide any flaws that do exist as well as contributing to atmosphere
>Ridley Scott has a great sense for visuals
It just all came together. Kind of miraculous

A lot of moments in this film. I'm not going to sift through it for you.

Visitor to a museum.

It invented cyberpunk

wait 5 years and it'll look like play station 5 graphics

Ridley Scot always makes incredible looking movies, his attention to detail and worldbuilding are second to none.

Giving a shit makes a difference

Sure kid

>le blue pocahontas in the jungle

HA

Loved Prometheus's visuals and I can't wait for Covenant 4k release.

>le Abyss
>le Terminator
>le Aliens
>le Titanic
Cameron takes lot of details to his movies.

>tfw Ridley Scott used to give a shit and made good films

I think the Scott that made Blade Runner would be ashamed of the pathetic shadow that gave us Covenant.

I'm thinking about watching it for the first time tonight.

Abyss and Titanic are visually awful, and just generally bad films.

yes but cinematography is not of them
visually speaking, his movies all look the same

I don't give a shit about the Titanic but the Abyss is a fantastic film and if I had feelings I fear they may have been hurt by your slight on it.

none of those films are known for their visuals/cinematography

A great sense of aesthetic, but mostly film just looks great, Digital is ruining cinema.

Abyss (1989) won an oscar for special effects. Just look:
youtube.com/watch?v=2D38wnITUeI
It literally was groundbreaking for CGI use. Lot of 90s era CGI was far inferior to it and even today aged well.

>tfw you realize the buildings are just little plastic boxes with holes poked in them

Only in cinema.

>normies will latch onto and shit up the new blade runner

watch dangerous days user

there was a big camera / cinematographer strike half way through the films schedule - they couldnt shoot and the production guys who were still employed had 6 extra months to keep twiddling and build and improve the sets....

this is what gave the film crazy detail... at the height of in camera effects and probably wont ever happen again

is there anything more reddit than lauding old movies that look like shit nowadays or the classic ebin practical effects meme?