BEST ANIMATED FILM 2016

Kubo and The Two Strings

Why aren't you supporting animation and watching this right now?

Its better than Coraline.

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4216&p=.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Coraline was extremely overrated. I think it gets love only because it was a story done by Gaiman.

Its "Another puppet movie flops, while cheap 3D animation films with fart jokes clean house" episode

I have to wait another two weeks before it comes out in my country.

Paranorman>Kubo>Coraline>Boxtrolls

I have to wait til late October
fuck y'all

Well you're wrong. Cause I loved it and had no idea who Neil Gaiman was until last year.

Move out of Botswana dude.

Because I'm watching The Deer Hunter

Are you kidding? The Illuminati will ensure Dory wins every goddamn honor there is.

I'm sure it's great and all, but it can't hope to have the same ground-breaking appeal of Sausage Party.

because it is not out here jet.

There's no way this movie won't be successful in Japan, which is good news.

Also, what is it about antagonists going insane that really makes a scene ten times more intense?

Because scenes are really only tense when you can't predict what is going to happen.

did a february movie ever got nominated?

Why the ever loving hell do people think Sausage Party will even get a nomination for anything?
>rated R
>animated
>comedy
ANY one of those is poison to the Academy.

They reshuffled the Academy membership to include more hip young people after the whole "no blacks" thing at the last Oscars. All those hip young people appreciate the work of Seth Rogen.

I agree

I'm not watching it right now because I already saw it Thursday night, but I may go again before it's run is over in theaters

I disagree on it being better than Coraline. Or Paranorman. Better than Boxtrolls though and Laika has yet to make a film that isn't great.

What is top right?

>hip young people
>the same ones who think Sausage Party is witty and daring

I'm glad the European-only animation awards will be next year so I don't have to suffer through good movies being shafted

IT'S NOT OUT IN MY COUNTRY
FUCK

Sausage party

Just saw it with some friends. Pretty spectacular.

Saw the reveals about the beetle and monkey coming a mile away but part of that is due to the good, but subtle, foreshadowing beforehand. It was funnier than I expected, a bit darker than expected, and I was really surprised with how they ended the conflict.

I don't know if I'd say better than Coraline, but easily just as good. The animation is incredible - Laika really outdid themselves.

My theater only gives 5 dollar tickets on Tuesday. I am so hyped to see this!

'cause it isn't out in my country yet,user. I'm so hyped I'm gonna burst.

paid a hooker so that I could get into the only theatre in town which is a couples only threatre and I liked it. Mercedes said it was alright

no Bilal?

>There's no way this movie won't be successful in Japan, which is good news.
Except, I checked IMDB and . . . Kubo isn't even scheduled for release in Japan, actually.

The Red Turtle, studio ghibli helping out some french studio

The plot feels a little bit off and Moon King is just anti-climatic. Other than that it's a great animated film.

pretty much my thoughts on it. the two strings reveal was great though

It's just stupid Sup Forums meme shit, the no singles thing. Don't pay attention to him.

Good to finally have a shotafu to add to my harem of Sup Forums husbandos with missing body parts.

Now imagine Guillermo del Toro dropping the cash on this and putting it in Bleak House.

>Kubo will never send a flying piece of paper up your butthole.

>Your mom would never save you with a bad ass shamisen solo and send you on a great journey to find your dad's useless equipment

this was real? fug

Japan's release schedule is really bizarre. Deadpool just got released there about a month ago.

So how much of this was CGI? Because at this point I can't tell.

im gonna watch it tomorrow, since the last showing was at 6:50pm for some reason

So which Disney movie you think will end up getting all the awards instead of Kubo?
I'm guessing Zootopia

It kinda makes me sad to think about it, but Kubo won't stand a chance against Zootopia.

They'll throw their marketing machine behind Moana for awards season. Zootopia was the throwaway they weren't expecting to do as well as it did.

I wonder if Moana will be the well-marketed flop like Pocahontas was.

they have a demigod in their cast, The Rock sells tickets on his name alone

tfw you'll never get clawed by a QT vengeful sister spirit.

I wish they had more screen time.

>Thousands of faces
>Probably dozens of each figure
>Every small worker on this prolly got to keep a few faces as souvenirs
>Every big person in production prolly got to keep a figure or two

>Somewhere in Hollywood mathew mcconaughey is drunk playing with a figure souvenir of Monkey and Beetle, putting them is sexual positions and laughing the night away.

Some people have all the luck.

Who keeps the skeleton?

The skeleton gets sold at auction for a gorillion dollars.

>figures look so good most people will assume it was all CG

kind of a catch 22

>Del Toro buys it
>He puts it in his backyard to scare the children.

Maybe to one of the main guys to keep or make into a Halloween prop.

>They put it into the Nike office building for Halloween.

I swear if it doesn't at least get a spot in the "Best Animated Film" feature I will kidnap the people who pick the oscars, tie them up in a shed, and force them to watch Foodfight nonstop.

Laika has had bigger problems

Like when Coralline was coming out.
Advertised as "from the director of Nightmare Before Christmas" or something. And since every idiot was like "well everyone knows that was Tim Burton"

Burton did produce it though.

You know, while they explained the three pieces, they never explained the chip Kubo used to strum his instrument, it seemed way more important than the three pieces.

I assumed it was just Kubo's mother channeling her magical energy into the chip. After she gave Kubo wings and sent him away, she ran in to 1v1 the sisters with glowing hands.

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure what purpose the armor was supposed to serve, outside of giving Monkey a sword that she easily could have borrowed from Beetle's hideout.

Sorry, OP, but it just doesn't interest me at all.

To some extent, it's almost pointless to ask. They use CG to cover up the seams in almost every shot.

I would but I'm broke and It looks too good to pirate. Hopefully I'll be able to watch it in theaters later this month.

Story structure was 100% garbage

Everything else was fine

prove it

>First the Fannings star as protagonists.
>Now 2 of the Starks do it as well
What a weird coincidence.

I think it should have been called Kubo and the 3 strings though.

I get why with the reveal but he also used his own hair, so in the end he had 3 strings

But user, the title still makes sense
He is the third string, so its still Kubo and the 2 Strings

But I don't care for Gaiman at all and I love Coraline.

Some chinese fuckin' thing, who cares.

Oh shit, you are right.

I'm flip flopping on Kubo and Coraline, but I agree Paranorman is at the top and Boxtrolls is at the bottom.

Chart?

>mind blown.

>originally projected to make about $17 million this weekend
>after Saturday, looking like it will only make $11-12 mil
>lowest opening for a Laika film, including Coraline which was playing in about half as many theaters boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4216&p=.htm

We couldn't do it Sup Forums.

I saw it tonight at a busy theater.
It was only like half full if that.
Pretty sad

I mean, while it saddens me that it might not make too much money, Laika will never have any financial trouble.

That bad? Yikes. I knew it wouldn't do amazing, but fuck, Laika deserves better.

>called 2 Strings
>his sitar has 3

see

What other, non Wonderwall, songs does he play?

Uh no? Kubo is a person not a string.

Through the Fire and the Flames on Expert

Zootopia is going to win 100%.

pack up and go home, Laikafags.

Well I think Laika should win.
But I'd be happy if Zootopia won.

I don't see sausage party winning, but I could see Moana or Finding Dory winning because the former is another disney princess movie and the latter is pixar.