ITT: films that leave you with a drab miserable feeling inside but you can't help re-watching a thousand times anyways

>ITT: films that leave you with a drab miserable feeling inside but you can't help re-watching a thousand times anyways

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ntI-7vR2zRs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why can't anime be this good more often? I understand that the animation quality and style probably costs a lot more, but you also don't find anything with this sort of tone being made anymore either.

Because its anime.

all anime went to shit in the 2000's.

>anime
>good

Pick you you pathetic manchild.

I know, right? Even the big ones, like Oshii and Ōtomo, have been resorting to progressively more generic and Hollywood-ish narratives and cheap-ass computer animation.

... Wait, maybe this coincides with the rise of otaku culture? Holy fuck, guYS, MAYBE ANIME STARTED SUCKING BECAUSE THE WEST CREATED NEW, SHALLOWER MARKET DEMANDS?!

I usually shit on anime, but Jin-Roh is something else.

I guess it depends on your personality, I fucking love Jin-Roh its one of those first Anime films I watched that made me know right there and then that anima could and was real ART.

Anyways, for examplo I will not watch My Neighbour Totoro ever again in my life, I watched it when I was 15 and im 30. The reason is beacuse I know I will cry like a little bitch and I dont like that so I avoid it like the plague.

If you re watch it then its not really affecting you TRUS ME so its ok.

Because is like movies, you have lot of shit going around and from time to time get a diamond.

>never watched anime past Digimon
>tried to watch Paprika as a teen
>didn't "get it"
>don't watch anime for years
>decide to give Jin-Roh a chance because of cool looking posters
>literally and unironically enjoyed it

thanks for reminding me of this OP

are there any more that have a similar vibe?

Seconding this. The work of Mamoru Oshii doesn't deserve to be labelled on the same package as weebshit, he's literally one of the finest directors of animated films in existence. No surprise Tarkovsky and Bergman are amongst his influences, the guy has a genuinely European-esque pacing to his films that's just so fucking tight.

patlabor 2

Everything else by Oshii. Nothing else in his catalogue is as depressing as Jin-Roh but Ghost in the Shell and Angel's Egg all have that same sort of vibe to them, even if they're completely different narratives featuring completely different themes in their own rights.

Also, obviously Akira if you're into cyberpunk, the lead animator is the director of Jin-Roh iirc.

>The cake will be burned!

youtube.com/watch?v=ntI-7vR2zRs

Don't flatter yourself into thinking that the West has any legitimate sway over the anime market.

It's herbivore otakus through and through.

>giant robot movie with a full 5 minutes of giant robots on screen
This is why I love Mamoru Oshii.

Angel's Egg is pretty damn depressing, but not in a way that's comparable to Jin Roh. It's much more abstract.

I don't think it holds up quite as well as something like GitS, but I still enjoy it.

I find Oshii to be a little too pretentious but I love just how moody and ambient his films are, especially when it comes with a Kawai soundtrack. I think his best films are the ones where very little needs to be said, because he very quickly gets wrapped up in his pseudophilosophical musings (see: GitS Innocence)

Oshii's The Sky Crawlers is kind of shit yet it's strangely powerful. One of those movies that stay with you for a while.

It's only pseudophilosophical if it ain't actually philosophical though. Most of his films do have actual academic themes to them, Angel's Egg is basically a beautiful discourse on the struggle between reconciling faith with human rationality and GitS is possibly the most diehard Hegelian film I've ever seen.

t. Philosophysophomorefag

It really depends. Some films like GitS, Angel's Egg, Jin Roh hold up tremendously well (even though the script is usually too blunt) while other films seem aimless. Sky Crawlers' whole cyclic narrative thing just made it drag on painfully, and I have no idea what Avalon was going for.

I don't get it, it makes me want to kill myself every time I watch it, and yet I still re-watch it on an almost weekly basis. What the fuck, Sup Forums?

>Jin Roh
>good
I bet you also like Akira and Hiyozaki films plebs

We all know madoka is true anime kino

But Akira is post-modern cyberpunk kino tier, you goddamn faggot.

The actual movie is a cut up and stitched together mess. It looks and sounds pretty, that's the most that can be said.

You can't have an opinion on a piece of art if you're incapable of consuming it in its original format.