Why didn't he just guide the plane over the water and parachute out...

Why didn't he just guide the plane over the water and parachute out? Can a spitfire really glide in the air that long with a cut engine?

>capcha select all parachutes

Other urls found in this thread:

spitfireperformance.com/k5054.html
spitfireperformance.com/spitfire-I.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Se6rq8vean8
youtube.com/watch?v=cN3yrJP24-I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why didn't he just guide the plane over the water and parachute out?
Because landing a Spitfire in the water is pretty dangerous (as shown before), let alone landing it in water with the engine off. Also can't parachute out because of low altitude.

>Can a spitfire really glide in the air that long with a cut engine?
Yes.

thanks

If he's too low to parachute he can't glide very far. Another war flick with no interest in historical and technical accuracy whatsoever.

>It's not like War Thunder they got it all wrong

>assblasted shill projecting

This is the wrong website to ask such questions. The only answer you will receive will be by autist and neets with absolutely no knowledge about the topic. I suggest you look elsewhere.

Shut the hell up, Chris

>wearing a tie

Do Britbongs actually do this?

That isn't Hardy, thats the blonde qt that almosts drowns

I've just come back from my local kinoplex to see it for the first time so I know

Why didn't he just jump in the water? One of the boats could've saved him.

It was WW2.

We also still wear ties in dress uniform which closely resembles WW2 combats. WW1/2 was really the transition between Napolionic style line infantry combat to modern day tactics so 'presentation over practicality' was still a thing.

Um no sweety.
>SMLE jams
>Fuel gauge blown has to right down numbers
>Hand pumps landing gear
>Canopy jams
>Spits have difficulty shooting down other planes
If it had no historical or technical accuracy the spitfires would have been darting across the sky, shooting laser beams and instantly blowing up the 190s
The film was incredibly accurate compared to how most are nowadays.

For the RAF only really, the Army had dropped most of that at the beginning of WW1.
The RAF will always try to be glamorous and "showy"

Were the spits really that bad at being fighter planes? What were the best combat planes of ww2?

It wasn't just for a show, a lot about the RAF flight uniforms was thought with escape in mind, in case the pilot/crew were to bail out over occupied territory. They also had flight boots with an easy to cut off shaft, to quickly convert them into civilian looking shoes.

Hurricanes won the Battle of Britain but don't listen to him, Spits are fantastic.

Quite true, since Army officer uniforms held on to 'older' stuff like ties and stuff

The RAF in 1940 was essentially a glorified drinking club for poshos.

i think early spitfires were just too lightly armed.

They only had four guns as standard, they beefed them up with another four when the Battle of Britain began

Early Spitfires had shit armament because Brits were dumb and slow to learn, they also had a lot of rookie pilots because of the urgency of the situation.

Spitifires weren't the god like creatures they were made out to be, but they were certainly agile, and had a relatively powerful engine with a good top speed.
But they had weak armaments, 4 .303 browning machine guns on the earlier models and 8 .303s in the later versions.
The best combat fighter in ww2 will always be debated, and all aircraft were good in their own right.
According to RAF veterans the FW190 was the best plane of ww2, it was exceptionally fast, had a large arsenal, small silhouette (so harder to shoot down) and could out climb and out run any spitfire.

>four guns
>4 .303 browning machine guns on the earlier models and 8 .303s in the later versions
That's wrong, Spits in the Battle of France and Britain had 8 machine guns already. Their amount didn't really matter, it was a type of armament straight of WW1, didn't cut out against modern planes. Later Spitfires had 2 or 4 20mm cannons and some MGs.

>and had a relatively powerful engine with a good top speed.

Understatement. The Rolls-Royce Merlin was the best engine.

In 1940 the Daimler-Benz on the Bf 109 was more powerful

Thats exactly what I just said tho. Four on the early versions, which came as standard, and eight on the later ones which they had to beef up upon delivery, as they were still being shipped with four.

BF109's being shit is what lost the Battle of Britain desu.

It's because the Spitfire is the most beautiful aircraft of the war and arguably of all time compared to the workhorse Hurricane.

You're mixing up rifle caliber machine guns and cannons, which only came well after the Battle of Britain.
False. The only fault of the Bf 109 during the BoB was the lack of range.

German engines are always better.

They're just a smarter people.

Mate, the engine cut out if the plane rolled upside down, nothing is free of faults.
(Although they did fix this later on.)

>The only fault of the Bf 109 during the BoB was the lack of range
You've just triggered my autism card.

Marginal difference which hardly mattered when both sides would be climbing to altitude over their airfield before heading to the front. Add to that the awful tactics of the RAF at the time and whatever small advantage the Spitfire might have had in terms of flight characteristics is completely negated.

More precise people*

Even the French are """"smarter"""" than the Germans.

Its just shitter in every capacity and I'm starting to think you're just a delusional Naziboo.

nah

Germans>>>>>>>>>>French>>>>>>>>>Italians>>>>>>>>>Hungarians>>>>>>>>>>>British>>>>>>>>>>Polish

t. Clint McYankface of Sisterfuck Missouri

I'm not, and you're wrong. Spitfire Mk I and Bf 109 E-3/4 were fairly equivalent, what one did better than the other was compensated in another area. In terms of armament though, the 109 was objectively superior.

nice evidence lmao. at least the other twat provided a picture.

You sound like you have terrible teeth.

>he can't glide very far
at a certain point, being so close to the ground will produce more lift (google the ground effect), and therefore this will prolong the glide.

Minimally so

You write like you have low intelligence.

Stop backpeddling, you were on about superior engines a minute ago.

Fuck off the P-51 Mustang was objectively the best WW2 warplane

How did he make a 180° turn and not lose altitude to shoot down the Bf 109

Helped that it had a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine.

Actually that's not always the case. There are a lot of Allied equipment with better designs. Germans in a lot of cases found success through tactics rather than technological superiority.

Line infantry fighting was pretty much dead and not used by the 1880s

not true

USAAF Pilots wore ties through WW2 as well

>locations of large bodies of people product the most scientists, musicians, artists and writers

Really activates the almonds

Spitfires were ditching .303s for 20mms by the end of 1941

The Spitfire was shit because it had super poor range and could only make it to the coast of France before having to turn back to land and refuel

The fighters that had the most significant impact on the war were the P51 Mustang (its range and performance allowed daylight strategic bombing to come to fruition, and the F6F Hellcat (ended usefulness of Japanese naval airpower)

>people ITT with encyclopedic knowledge of the armaments/specs of WW2 planes
>90% of the time, they're shitposting about Bane and Jews

>all aircraft were good
Zero.

spits can't glide. they have shity autonomy compared to p51 which uses the same engine.

>low intelligence
>backpeddling
holy kek

I saw a show about some guys in Britain restoring a Bf109 and the machinists/engineers working on the engine made remarks that the tolerances on the crank were so tight that modern manufacturing would not be able to replicate a new crank if they damaged that one, as the really skilled machinists in Germany were just wizards and had basically been all killed through the war

(The show was made in the 80s before CNCing)
he's not wrong

the Bf109 and Spit were pretty evenly matched, the Germans realized the spit had a carburator and no fuel injection so they devised tactics to use this to their advantage by using dives in dog fights as the spitfire could not dive worth a damn because negative Gs would starve the engine of fuel and the engine would stop

>filename
But that's clearly wrong

you'd be surprised at what odd knowledge the average Sup Forums poster knows

Too low for parachute to be effective, but too high for the water surface tension not to splat him across the sea

Spits are a far better glider than a P51. They have a long cord smooth wing with an arrow tip, the airframe itself is far lower drag than a P51. The mustang has a fat laminar airflow wing with a large intake and higher wing loading. That fucking thing would fall out of the sky in half the time gliding from the same altitude.

ok so

A good plane will have a 30:1 glide ratio. That is, for ever one foot it loses in altitude, it moves 30 feet forward, even with no power.
I can't find the exact numbers for the Spitfire, but the tests for it before it was deployed actually complained about it gliding TOO well.
> The aeroplane has rather a flat glide, even when the undercarriage and flaps are down and has a considerable float if the approach is made a little too fast. This defect could be remedied by fitting higher drag flaps.
spitfireperformance.com/k5054.html
spitfireperformance.com/spitfire-I.html

Combine a good glide ratio with the ground effect, especially along a coast, where updrafts are common, and Bane could easily glide that plane that far.

Like in Sudan or Nigeria... oh wai

>Every good plane in WW 2 use a RR's Merlin engine

Really tell you something about British engineering isn't it

False.

P51s had Packard Merlins, not RRs Merlins

Best engine of WW2 was the PW R2800 double wasp

A misspent youth is a misspent youth

are nolanfags so desperate to defend this movie that they have to google information about ww2 era aircraft?

He didn't glide very far. The non linear narrative makes it seem that way, but he actually glides very little.

he didn't fly so good

Because airbreaks are not as effective as car breaks you stupid fucking american, he had no way to reduce speed further in that little window of time he had, actually he could had deployed the landing gear but still.

I thought he was a goner tbqh, pretty stoked he made it. When he blasted the dive bomber out of the sky before it could get the colonel dude I was like holy FUCK. Kinda strained the realism set up in the movie, but I still loved it.

Objectively best planes by country

UK: Hawker Tempest
USA: Grumman F6F Hellcat or the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
DE: Focke-Wulfe 190 D model, "Dora"
JP: Ki-84 Hayate
Shitaly: MC 202
France: Dewoitine D.520

Honorable mentions:
Messerschmidt Bf 109 F or G
Ki-43 Hayabusa
F4U Corsair

>1946
>inline over radial
kek
KEK
K E K

enjoy one bullet to the block making sure you won't get home

radial or BUST

for me personally it's the jug

wouldn't trust anything else to take a beating and still get me home

youtube.com/watch?v=Se6rq8vean8

>Objectively
Nah.

u right u right

But muh Lavochkin!

i did forget the russkies, but it's the yak-9p

>Jug love

My nigga. You forgot to mention that the shorter length of the engine along the longitudinal axis = maximum levels of comfy in the cockpit.

Being in a 109 or Mustang was like being in a sardine can. The P-47's cockpit was a Califronia King sized bed by comparison.

Nice

>you're a big guy
>for you

>he's on me
>I'm on him

P O T T E R Y

Understandable

A big issue that the Germans had was that their equipment was reliant on the engineering and craftsmanship skills they prided themselves on. This did not take well to mass production under wartime conditions.

youtube.com/watch?v=cN3yrJP24-I

>The P-47's cockpit was a Califronia King sized bed by comparison
Had to take into account burger demographics

>that scene when the stukka siren starts at the end
>oh god please don't let the gliding spitfire shoot it down that would be both impossible and retarded
>sirens, music and tension all rising
>yes the bombs are going to start again and the film is going to end, it's perfect
>gliding spitfire nails 300mph stukka dive bomber crossing its path vertically in a single burst

oh no its retarded

Nolan is all about spectacle, it's pathetic

>blonde
>is Irish
M8 he's ginger

>Only quip in the movie
>Goes to a pilot that was seconds away from drowning in his own plane
That was the single most British act in the entire film.

What about
>good thing you're army and I'm navy

It could glide, but turning 180 degrees to engage that Stuka would have killed all his energy.

How high up was he before he turned? he might have still had enough alt to gain more energy

>wore a mask
>crashed a plane with one survivor
>started a fire
>getting caught was part of the plan

Bravo, Chris.

this movie was so fucking bad

I see the braindead ameritards are waking up.
So what's your argument? "Boring" and "nothing happens", eh?

>The fighters that had the most significant impact on the war were the P51 Mustang (its range and performance allowed daylight strategic bombing to come to fruition, and the F6F Hellcat (ended usefulness of Japanese naval airpower)
Fucking Muricans, no one cares about your Pacific shitshow vs weebs.