Why did the Irish not turn to the sea and go fishing during the potato famine?

Why did the Irish not turn to the sea and go fishing during the potato famine?

Hi, I visited a fascinating Famine Museum in Doagh Island, Donegal. The tour guide addressed this question and he said that major factor why people didn’t turn to the sea to solve the food shortage was because just a year or two before the famine began, Ireland and the UK was hit by an massive storm; it was so devastating that it destroyed many small fishing vessels and left an awful lot of fishermen without the boats. Haven’t done the research myself, but it’s an interesting element that factored into the perfect storm.

Other urls found in this thread:

forestryfocus.ie/forests-woodland/history-of-irish-forestry/forestry-since-tudor-times/
youtube.com/watch?v=E1uTlZH2HJ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It wouldn't have mattered. The British owned anywhere that could be fished at. They would simply take the fish from the Irish. More food was exported from Ireland during the Famine than at any point prior to it.

The blight was natural. The Famine was manufactured.

Damn why were the British were so mean to the Irish?

the british also turned away ships from other nations bringing food aid to the island

The Irish refused to accept the invasion. Every single generation for 800 years attempted an armed revolution against the British. The British wanted to make the Irish beaten into submission, essentially.

Britain didn't do anything wrong. The Irish should have managed their shit better.

>we dindu nuffin

there are no greater Dindus than the Brits, except perhaps with the exception of La Creatura

It was a genocide by the British.
They took food from Ireland and eported it purposely. There was often food riots because of this. They also claimed ownership of the seas around Ireland and fishing was seen as a crime. The British must pay reparations for their genocide of the Irish population.
They need to pay reparations.

even given the historical abuses against the indigenous celts by the eternal Anglonorman, what good would demanding reparations do? isn't Ireland currently a high-performing economy?

New IRA when?

Like others said, they simply weren't allowed to.
There's also that fact that pisspoor peasants had no means of acquiring a boat, and whatnwere the inland Irish meant to do? walk to the coast and back?

why didn't the Irish grow victory gardens?

Isn't South Korea currently a high-performing economy?

>The Irish should have managed their shit better.

you were the manager, limey

The British government should have expelled all the independentist Irishmen to America and repopulate the island with Britons.

>British cause famine
>Irish leave for the US
>Irish get powerful in US
>Irish send money and guns to IRA
>Ireland gets free

Well, they tried to push them out through various means. They just couldn't get rid of all of them and the Britons that were sent there became Irish.

Irish sources claimed that as many as 60,000 people had died in the Ulster famine of 1602-3.[13] This may be an exaggeration, as we have no reliable information even about the population of the province, or indeed of the island at the time, but we can be sure that the death toll was very large as a proportion of the pre-war population. The repeated references to cannibalism, both in the 1580s and 1600s is a clear indication that these were very serious crises, where starvation had reached such a pitch that neighbourly and even family bonds of human solidarity had broken down.

Instead they relocated a large number of Fenians to Australia permanently
my ancestor :)

From H.G. Wells's "The Outline of History"

>Irish agriculture during the 1800s was allowed gradually to devolve into the feeding of pigs and the growing of potatoes. Aside from drinking and a little fighting, there was little else to do except fornication. The results were alarming--from a population of around 3 million in 1800, Ireland soared to over 8 million people by 1845. At which point the weary potato gave out under its burden and a frightful famine resulted.

Talking about Irish. Do redheaded women have red-haired pubic hair?

Britain literally was the manager for all crops in Ireland

Why don't the Haitians fish instead of eating dirt?

Why don't the Britons cook instead of eating dirt?

We imported them by the shipload for cheap labor. The plastic paddie cancer in the US can be blamed on the unfortunate legacy of 19th century politicians stirring up Irish nationalism among the community to piss off Britain.

yes

t. sister is a redhead

Irish nationalism has never needed stirred. It burns eternal in the heart of every Gael.

why do brits try to genocide every group they touch

The Irish aren't deserving of kindness.

If you didn't know, the color of your pubic hair is always the same color as your eyebrows.

sad but true

Pic?

Oh, I see.

England over time also cut down most of Ireland's forests for the Royal Navy and to deny locals forest cover to hide in and wage guerrilla warfare. In 1500, as much as 40% of the island may have been forested but today it's about 2%.

>In 1500, as much as 40% of the island may have been forested but today it's about 2%.

Haha. Based British.

>europe has the most beautiful forests on earth
>they chop it all down

Nah, North America has better ones. Greater biodiversity since a lot of European plant species were wiped out by the Ice Age.

NA ones are great

they did
they built "plantations" all over Ireland, basically large farmlands that were given to british settlers. The thing is all of them failed except in northern Ireland, the only plantation to work and it can be seen to this day

Ulster anyway wasn't settled by Irish per se, but Protestant Scots who were brought over in the 1600s.

Also lower latitude than Europe so longer growing seasons/more direct sunlight.

I know. Everywhere except Connaught was settled by british settlers but they mostly failed due to the farmland being to big so they had to hire Irish farmers or they would be raided by Irish clans when the british army pulled out
what I was saying is the Ulster plantation is the only one to succeed in its goal

I didn't know Aussies like to fuck their sisters too.

shut the fuck spain

Britain transformed whole nations into a huge farmland for the Empire. Everywhere from Ireland to India to Australia to Argentina was put to use growing meat and grain. It created the world's first factory farming and also contributed to the growing homogenization of world agriculture as local crops and livestock breeds were replaced by a couple of English varieties.

i have dark pubic hair but blond hair on balls, funny enough i have dark hair but blonde beard

cool wasnt aware of that

>funny enough i have dark hair but blonde beard

Are we still talking about your balls?

Why are people so mean to the Irish? They have literally done nothing wrong go anyone. Whish you the best of luck Eire.

You too.

I wish Ireland were a rice field as well

Not really, the larger population became very placated by the 20th century until 1916 redpilled to them to their cuckoldry.

Very similar to the Bengal famine, but they're alien to brits

The Bengal famine of 1943-44 (Bengali: Pañcāśēra manwantara) was a major famine in the Bengal province[A][B] in British India during World War II. An estimated 2.1 million[C] people died from starvation and diseases aggravated by malnutrition, population displacement, unsanitary conditions, and lack of health care. Millions were impoverished as the crisis overwhelmed large segments of the economy and social fabric.

>Why are people so mean to the Irish? They have literally done nothing wrong go anyone.

The Irish invaded England and Scotland all the time back in the day. The Scots came from Ireland, they displaced the native Picts who used to live there.

And even then having the "free state" allowed them to return to turbocuckery.

>The tour guide addressed this question and he said that major factor why people didn’t turn to the sea to solve the food shortage was because just a year or two before the famine began, Ireland and the UK was hit by an massive storm
should've called it storm oliver

The Gaels of Dál Riata merged with the Picts, it's not like a large contingent of Irish troops went and conquered Pictland to form Scotland. It's also not like Anglo-Saxons didn't raid Ireland from time to time.

>eating fish
yuck!

The RA has always been there bud, we never left, were just waiting til the time is right

I beg to differ there

Thats actually fairly interesting. i never knew that.

never knew how to fish either

we couldve been better at that yes

Racial theory in conjunction to their thinking that the Irish should be thankful for being subjugated

>Homogenisation of world agriculture
Didn't happen you utter imbecile. You could argue that the focus was put on crops Europeans preferred, but it wasn't like crops went extinct.

>Irish people
>Smart enough to gain power

They may breed like rabbits, but rabbits aren't the top of the food chain, are they?

its not true
most of the country was turned into farmland, which is evident by the rolling hills that cover the country. People just like to say it was the british who cut down our forests

dance for me worm

thats what i thought from the beginning until seeing that. thanks for the clarification.

They wanted the majority dead so they could use the land to feed themselves.
Makes me laugh now how brits still think and hope that we are going to leave the EU and rejoin them.

Actually it is true, before the plantations it was said a squirrel could walk from Dublin to Belfast without touching the ground.

1608 Philip Cottingham first surveys Ireland on behalf of the Crown, and again in 1623. His report states that the country is abounding in timber, mainly ‘noble oaks’ fit for shipbuilding.

1666 The Great Fire of London. After the London fire, a law is passed prohibiting the building of houses in Dublin from wood, which was, in any case, now scarce and expensive. The demand for Irish oak to rebuild London was very great.

forestryfocus.ie/forests-woodland/history-of-irish-forestry/forestry-since-tudor-times/

god hates the irish

>1/64 Irish
Yawn

The irish potato famine was mostly trying to get the Irish use money instead of exchanging goods for goods.

>1845 and still bartering.

It just took the Irish many years to understand they could exchange the time for money and the money for food. Very unfortunate situation.

>The demand for Irish oak to rebuild London was very great

because like the scots and the welsh, they are a nation of cucks who got conquered.

I'm not making excuses for the Norman invasion of Ireland, but it's just as annoying when micks act like Ireland was anything but a divided tribal shithole beforehand. Sorry guys but the Irish kingdoms weren't exactly sitting around a campfire singing kumbaya before the invasion and plantations

Oh look we have a brit expert on Ireland, sure to be enlightening

Fuck off you retard. You ignorant literal bastard.

how much do you actually know about pre-Norman or even post-Norman pre-Tudor Ireland

> why the British are so perfid ?

Do we really need an answer to that question ?

Cracking argument.

I know that it was a territorial standoff between hundreds of kingdoms, who themselves were many of them descendants of invaders. What, do you guys think you're the result of an unbroken lineage dating back to the original Mesolithic hunter gatherers?

And nor were Amerindians when Columbus showed up for that matter.

Bet you're from Dublin faggot

>you will never run riot over Ireland with your best buds

>His report states that the country is abounding in timber, mainly ‘noble oaks’ fit for shipbuilding.

Mostly the English Oak, Quercus Robur. Ireland doesn't have a huge amount of biodiversity and only a small number of tree species are native to the island.

By the 18th century, Europe's forests outside of Scandinavia and Russia were mostly gone so the Royal Navy instead was built from North American timber.

please post a video of you swimming into the middle of the a fucking ocean and catching fish with your bare hands, after working in a field all day
I was going to add the concept of getting shot for stealing the Queen's fish but you'd know about that already.

Because Brits are actually scum. Worse than US. They're the reason we are what we are, and what we are is garbage.

you are a turd

like just build an animal skin boat man

norman invasion of Ireland has little to do with anglo invasions
in fact the normans became indistinguishable from the Irish with many Irish surnames actually being norman

sounds pretty simple

Barter is a myth invented by marxists

nothing to it youtube.com/watch?v=E1uTlZH2HJ8

how do you think a farmer gets money you knob jockey

t. MUH HERITAGE

Fuck off.