Marvel: 40% of our readers are female

>So there’s really been a shift, which is great, and it even could be even higher than 40%. I’m sure if you go into some retail shops in different parts of the country, that’ll be 50-60% female, and some lower. But that’s about what we’re seeing now. We also get some stats from digital; they’re a little better at knowing who the customer is.

comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/

well, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Okay

>unironically posting that cover
>anywhere
Comics Alliance was a mistake.

We already knew this was gonna happen with Cape movies, lad. Most women are normies, normies thinks movie cape shit equals comic cape shit so they think it's cool and buy one or two comics, women think movie cape shit equals comic cape shit so they think it's cool and buy one or two comics.

>our sales are just fine guys
>just make sure you ignore that most of them are from fucking star wars

>cherrypicking an excerpt from a three-part interview (the original sauce)

>comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/
The comments on the article will sum up anything "enlightened" any moron on Sup Forums can think to type in defense or attack.

>comic sales are at an all time low
>40% of all readers are female

introducing more female character isn't an excuse for shit characters with shit design

>Women have shit taste

Okay. Also that Squirrel Girl is an affront to God and it makes me want to vomit out of my eyes.

>All time low
Weren't they at a decade high just last year?
To be fair, fucking star wars are still their comics.
Hey women may have shit taste but that doesn't mean you have to blame them for Squirrel Girl because not even they're buying that.

>To be fair, fucking star wars are still their comics.
I would put money on the fact that they aren't the comics that are getting 40% female readership

>most of our readers are men, lets get more women!
>I know, let's alienate our male readers to get more female readers!

I honestly don't understand why they thought this was a good idea, it seems like basic math. It doesn't help that more intelligent women stopped reading because of how overt the pandering has got. None of the female readers I know have touched a Marvel book made past 2010 or so. This shit is ridiculous.

>Hey women may have shit taste but that doesn't mean you have to blame them for Squirrel Girl because not even they're buying that.
I'm curious. Who the fuck IS buying squirrel girl. I don't know anyone who does. Even full on nu males and kate lethites..

>well, Sup Forums?

>top row says that the game shouldn't be made
>bottom row just doesn't buy the game

Fucking NOBODY, the book sells like it's one of those crappy 3rd tier companies. Seriously any other book would be deader than Disco.
Well it depends on who you're talking to but at this point in time, the bottom is more likely to be bitching that they should unedit whatever just got censored out of the game. Then it becomes a giant argument over what's censorship and people throw around a whole bunch of bullshit that doesn't really apply and mod fags say "hurhurhur I'm not affected except that I have to personally go and install or edit something so I can have it like it originally was" and eventually we forget.

>being this oblivious

>most of our readership has abandoned us despite is giving them more of what they wanted
>time to find new readership
you let marvel go bankrupt. you have only yourself to blame.

>be womuhn
>stopped buying Marvel completely
>only thing I still read is Moon Knight and Star Wars comics

T-thanks Marvel!

No seriously, I am beyond butthurt.

I think the part I hate most is the implication that they think all their female readers want something different from their male readers and that women uniformly want lazy pandering. I'm confident there's plenty of longtime ladyfans who just want good stories and can't stand this shoehorned political crap either.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

oh my god who cares

Just write good stories

Literally no one would have cared if Watchmen was Watchwomen

Just reading those comments

>Proportional representation
I can't even fathom that argument when probably every single major hero has a female counterpart

This argument has been DEAD in the water since MLP

You CAN NOT possibly have a stronger case for better quality having priority over identity politics than MLP. It is quite literally the most feminine brand outside of Barbie and look at the hit it became.

That Squirrel Girl run is an embarrassment. Girl Thor was an embarrassment. Kamala at least tried and is debatable. X 23 was a good concept gone sour.

Spider Gwen is probably the strongest case, she was utterly irrelevant years ago and now people are aware she existed and care about her now, that is interesting considering there is a Spider Woman

But I don't pirate books and still buy older stuff.

Why are Marvel such fucking liars? They always have been and I never understood why

Thanks for the info Marvel but to be honest I don't invest a lot of time in wondering what shit bitches buy.

Shouldn't the Sup Forums shirt be saying >white

To be fair every major hero has a female counterpart but that doesn't necessarily mean their counterpart is represented equivalently.
Like there's a handful of Lady Flashes or Speedsters but there's no Jesse Quick book out right now.

Why is that a problem? I know a ton of women who read DC, too. They trend a little older maybe, that's it.

40% of their readerbase is female but i'd like to know how many books they read compared to males.

Also, DC is so much better than mrvel

>Sup Forums is triggered by the very notion that women read comics

>>The whole diversity initiative reminds me of those Loony Tunes hip hop themed shirts from the 1990s, when hip hop was trendy. Warner Brothers has abandoned this demographic in subsequent decades with respect to Looney Tunes.

This is a pretty decent analog.

Maybe because the top bottom concept of writing for identity politics as opposed to writing an interesting character bottom top is a recipe for mediocrity and obscurity

This is the modern day equivalent of those tacky rebrand characters

Everyone knows women can't read

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'd imagine the other 60% are some combination of casuals and people who hate themselves. So basically us.

>He still pays for Marvel comics

If you want Marvel back to what it was you have to stop supporting what they are now

All this proves is that being an emotionally stunted Big 2 reader does not require you to have a dick.

I would have to assume it's more to do with larger numbers of men dropping their comics than larger numbers of women picking them up.

So having retarded stories is for your 40% female readers?

The male readership shrunk THAT much?!

I work at a comic store and I would say maybe 5 percent of our customers are women

>Weren't they at a decade high just last year?
Diamond was shipping comics at a decade high
LCSs were having trouble selling copies, because they were forced to get comics they didn't want in order to get things they did want.

Black Panther #1, which "sold" massively, is an example. It didn't sell nearly as well as Diamond's figures state.

>Marvel: 40% of our readers are female

>Lets make up what our reader base is by saying females are a large percentage in order to draw in a larger female crowd.
>Surely this will get us more sales and brownie points in today's current hot buttons.

Mostly triggered by their shit taste.

>Spider Gwen
Since when do people care about Spider Gwen? I thought they just liked the design, but I hear nothing but shit about the comic itself.

This comic is created for a demographic I do belong to and it doesn't appeal to me.

If you want to enjoy comics never make them. That's is what I'm saying.

>readers

That doesn't mean purchasers. It's also a number they pulled out of their ass. They go based on facebook likes and shit.

The 45% of 'gamers are women' went by facebook interest self reporting. Do they say what metric this uses?

>The 45% of 'gamers are women' went by facebook interest self reporting.
Really? I thought it was just based off ALL games, including mobile phone games.

So my mother, who only plays point-and-click puzzle games and only very casually, would be a gamer.

They don't, they just lay out the statistic.

They also count "readers" assuming multiple people read each comic, or they read a page on tumblr, or whatever. It's totally misleading information. Magazines and newspapers used to plump up their readership numbers by assuming 5 people read every copy for instance.

>ITT: misogynist neckbeards

There's literally nothing wrong with hating women.

So, two out of five?

Anyone who has to say our sales are fine, is obviously concerned about sales not being fine.

The first comment on this article makes me cringe sideways. Why would Vampirella deter women. Are we children? I really hate that mentality that all sexuality has to be wiped away in order for women do "feel safe."

You know what would make me feel safer in a comic shop? If they were bigger. If there weren't boxers larger than I am looming over my head. If it didn't feel like they were a large possibility I could be smothered in action figures. If I didn't have to stop at a strip mall between a weave story and a smoke shop to have the pleasure of going into this tiny paper filled cave.

I'd assume they're going by digital sales or polls because I can't imagine you can actually measure who buys physical comics accurately.

>40% female readers
>on a 60% white country.

WHy are you so surprise mister 60%?

Digital sales are about 20% of print going by comichron numbers. That's averaged out, so some may be selling better digitally than others.

And no, they couldn't really measure it accurately, that's why the number is baloney. Someone decided "hey, this sounds good, 40%. Makes it sound like we're a progressive company, let's say that number. Any higher would be obvious we're full of shit."

Doesn't mean 40% of digital couldn't be women and they're just negating to mention that part. Wouldn't be the first or last time stats were used that way.

>Guys stop buying comics and just pirate them because they're all shit now anyway.
>Pretend that there's a rise in female buyers, and not just a drop in male buyers.

>who just want good stories
Then why do they read comic books?

>top row says that the game shouldn't be made
>bottom row just doesn't buy the game
It's more like
>top row says that the game shouldn't be made, creates a media shitstorm to change all the offending parts of the game and bully everyone involved into apologizing, and then still doesn't buy the game
>bottom row complains on Sup Forums but buys the game regardless

> Top row bitches on the Internet and doesn't buy any games
> Bottom row bitches on the Internet and buys all games

user, they aren't from Argentina.

Me is more like "This game forgoes appealing to me and tries to appeal to fictitious demograhics HAHAHAHAHA good luck suckers"

Translation: The number of female readers hasn't noticeably increased, but rather the number of male readers has dropped to the point that women now make up 40% of our readers.

co please stop being so shit. I am so sick of the constant sjw complaining, "how bad marvel/dc fucked up their cinematic universe" and just plain autistic posts on this board.

New blood in this dying industry is good. Funny and sad that Sup Forums can't deal

If to survive the product must change beyond recognition, what's the difference with dying?

This is like how "we brought balance to the force" really translated to "We killed all but two of the jedi so now the numbers on both sides are equal".

Which doesn't really make sense, does it?

I thought the reason the Sith had the Rule of Two is because the Dark Side of the Force was shared among all Sith to some degree, so less Sith = more power.

Actually, Jedi see themselves as balance and Sith as imbalance. Their vision of balance is no Sith, just like undisturbed water is not the one where only half of people throw rocks in

No, that's because Sith squabble and can't organize.

So Darth "Big Guy" Bane really just wanted to clear out all the annoying cunts?

What a mad man. Bravo

Oh hi it's this thread again
Marvel is being really dumb and the people directing the company right now need to go
there's no news here

Where does Marvel even get the 40% thing?
They specifically said they don't take polls on their readership and instead just guess based on convention goer's, which is fucking retarded

>Sup Forums
>buying games

Nowhere. They completely made it up.

But I think you already knew that.

>40% of our audience doesn't buy or read anything

The state of cuckvel

>le both equally bad fallacy

Hipsterinmask.jpg

>Are we children?

Yes. Thanks feminism!

>Actually, Jedi see themselves as balance and Sith as imbalance
Kind of like how "equality" doesn't mean "everyone gets something". It means "I get something and deem anyone that doesn't think exactly like me as problematic and demand they be removed"