Not really limited to cartoons and comics, but common...

Not really limited to cartoons and comics, but common, why do minions and underlings serve terrible bosses that are fine with hurting or even killing them on a whim? How good is their pay since it's usually never brought up.

When the boss is the most powerful evil dude around, you gotta follow suit and just hope they don't kill you on a whim.

Why does your mom keep being with your dad? Same reason.

Ask a North Korean.

You've seen what they do to deserters

>it is a rival villain boss treats her underlings with respect and thus gets a much better performance out of them compared to the usual asshole villain who has inept underlings episode

Because they love each other?

Because much like in real life, they're stuck with terrible employers because they have no other options

This happens on real life too.

Criminals aren't known for good life choices.

This shit looks cool

Villain/Main Henchman pairings are the best and you can't prove me wrong.

Many reasons.

The most obvious solution -- "why don't they just get rid of the boss" -- fails because the bosses usually have some sort of social connections that any one of the minions don't have. Even if you get rid of the boss, all you're doing is creating instability in your org: so, eventually, either the org will dissolve and everyone gets screwed over; or you try to take things over yourself, you fuck up because (again) you don't have the power/respect/connections, and someone decides to kill you or you get everyone arrested or both.

Too much pressure. Even worse considering, as people mentioned, that very few people in those criminal organizations can make a living outside crime.

So yeah.

In comics/cartoons, social connections play less of a role than power and super-intelligence. But still, it's hard to replace them.

Bellamy wasn't being paid. He merely respected Doflamingo.

He genuinely believed the same ideals and thought he was going to be promoted to a family member position (maybe even the Heart Seat since Law left).

Dental plan!

Is it just me or do people only defend it in threads made for the subject everywhere else its just called stupid

It depends on the work.

Like I can understand most stormtroopers not deserting or rebelling. They've seen Vader choke enough underlings.
What I don't like is how in some EU the stormtroopers respect and admire Vader as a great leader they would lay their lives for. That's bullshit.

This is AFTER Doflamingo came for him after his humiliation by Luffy and tortured him physically and mentall before dismissing him.

Doesn't it take a special kind of stupid to RETURN to this person's service?

If everyone who replied just said "yeah I agree" it wouldn't be much of a thread.

Pretty sure the same reason as your pic, OP.
They know that they are terrible people, but they still respect them

Being feared and having power would cause any small fry to submit to you.

Dont you mean south korean senpai? :)

That's the kind of villain I can respect.

I saw Bellamy's devotion to Doflamingo as a sort of dark mirror to Luffy's admiration of Shanks. Luffy looked up to Shanks as a good person and heroic role model, his whole view of what a pirate should be is built off of what he knew of the Red Hair Pirates in his youth. Bellamy probably came from a bad background and latched onto Doflamingo after seeing the begrudging respect his ill-gotten influence afforded him. Shanks saw the future in Luffy and encouraged him, while Dofy saw Bellamy as merely a stepping stone or minor amusement.

doffy is like the exact opposite of that. He's just a troll to others who aren't part of his "family"

Wonder how hes gonna react once he learns doffy got beat

True

Because bullies are cowards who will submit to someone stronger.
>be a 12 yrs old manlet
>get bullied
>teen hormones kick in
>become one of the tallest in school
>suddenly bully wants to be my friend
Shameful display.

He said that Luffy was the only other man he respected, but respected Doflamingo as being top of the food chain. He might join up with the Straw Hat Grand Fleet or whatever they call themselves or, at the very least, show up to help turn the tide of a crucial battle down the line. I'm a sucker for those sorts of things.

Shouldn't you be working on your missile, Un?

damn id hench for this guy

Don't you get it
bully wanted to succ

Perhaps, but that behavior was a huge turn off.

Makes perfect sense to me, they hear tales of how awesome Vader is and propaganda is probably rampant.

Darth Vader has never forced chocked a stormtrooper unless it was self defense though he mostly does it to incompetant officers and enemies

Ever worked for the Mexican drug cartels or any gang in general? Same thing.

I dont recall him doing it to a trooper, just the one official who was bashing his religion. Vader gave him a test of faith, divinely intervening between his mouth and lungs.

But are you worth henching for that guy?

In the case of Cobra they are the only terrorist organization that gives their minions free gym, has recreational activities, they offer their minions and their families a home in their private city of Springfield, the minions get to travel the world and a lot of work experience.

Plus despite being a terrorist organization their underlings can file for unemployment benefits in the US.

No, Doffy is a dark puppetmaster. He's always willing to use underlings to serve his purposes.

Mexican cartels are fucking dangerous and awful as fuck if you piss off the boss but if you make it then you fucking become rich as fuck.

Although the chances of you having a good comfy life and retiring peacefully in a nice house are very slim.

That said the people who get into that are either forcefully recruited or they get into it because they have been so dirt poor throughout their whole lives and shat on by the government that they desperately seek a way out.

Fuck yes. One of my favorite scenes out of anime.

Filename is show name. Great hot-blooded '80s mecha action.

Reminder that Soldiers tend to dislike officers in general, and loath incompetent ones.
Vader choking the shit out of stupid officers would be a plus in their books.

How the hell did the Joker get people working for him in the first place?

That's some heavy shit.

so then its Stockholm syndrome

Depends on the Joker.
I can see people working for like Mark Hamil Joker since he may be crazy but still does a lot of bank robbing.

i'd imagine most of his henchmen he picks right out of Arkham

So Doffy controls the roaches?

What does Sup Forums think of One Piece ?

Mostly good. Except Dressrosa and that piece of shit canon filler arc before Water 7 started. Anyone that says otherwise has shit taste.

you mean the Foxy thing? yeah what the hell was Oda thinking?
he's usually pretty good at making things come up later but the Foxy shit has no chance of mattering at any point

Fantastic.

I've been a fan since middle school, when Viz first released Shonen Jump in the U.S. I picked up the first volume and every one since.

>that piece of shit canon filler arc before Water 7
>not liking Davy Back

>he's usually pretty good at making things come up later but the Foxy shit has no chance of mattering at any point
They did a cool TV special where Foxy teams up with the crew to rescue his crew from an island Marine base covered in traps.

Ive gotten tired of the 2 year story arcs

Oda's not in good health. At this rate he' going to die long before Luffy ever reaches One Piece

>Disgraced by a pitifully small bounty, and it isn't even in his own name.
They've more than made up for that with Dressrosa.

>tfw no more pre-ts

>all the torrents are dead

A few guys got the force-choke-caused promotion in Empire.

The reason for the Foxy thing was to introduce Aokiji.
>silly story about a silly competition
>SUDDENLY SHIT'S GOTTEN REAL

I think the story was meant to go straight to either Water 7 or Merman Island after the desert arc but Oda had too much fun writing his story and put in the heaven arc and everything else just because he wanted to write/draw as much One Piece as he can.

Capitalism.

He really does enjoy what he does, and it shows.

I assume it pays better than some shitty retail or fast food job, which is probably all they could get. If i had to assume, i wouldnt be suprised if a solid henchman made around 28-30 grand a year. Great benefits too.

Thanks for reminding me that I actually felt sorry for and liked Bellamy by the end of this arc. I wish he'd stuck around. He'd have had a great dynamic with the Strawhats and he's much more interesting than Law.

I wouldn't have been opposed to him joining Law or Bartolomeos crew tbqh.