Why does the west shy away from tight, over-arcing storylines in favor of episodic comedies with cartoons?

Why does the west shy away from tight, over-arcing storylines in favor of episodic comedies with cartoons?

Except it doesn't.

JLU has the best of both worlds.

Gee, it's like different countries have different demographics or something.

it's easier to sell to executives.

Because it's what Clampett wants.

Where have you been these past three years? Gravity Falls came and went. We now have Steven Universe and Bojack Horseman. Wander Over Yonder also happened, though it was unfortunately stricken down in its prime.

Go to bed, John.

>Go to bed, John.
You have the wrong man here.

Those shows pale compared to Tiny Toons & Animaniacs.

OP is clearly baiting, most toons today have some sort of arc going on.

That's both good and bad. Bad because it holds the west's animation industry back in a way. But it's also good because Japan, for the most part, REALLY sucks at comedy. So by having the nips continue to create shonen/seinen action shows, and the west keep producing comedies, we can get the best of both worlds.

Now that Netflix is a thing, they're starting to so just that.

Animaniacs will like to have a word with you but John K is right about Japan, for the most part, REALLY sucks at comedy, John K however thinks Animaniacs is just more of the same, but it's not.

I don't really know enough about the history of either anime or cartoons to give you an informed answer but I'd guess that the fact that the West has had established, well-funded film and live-action TV industries to bring the sort of fantastical, appealing-to-nerd type stories I think most people most associate with anime to life in a way that I don't think Japan has ever really had probably didn't help the motivation to try making them in the West. Like I'm trying to think of a live-action Japanese sci-fi that had a big cultural impact and I can't really think of anything besides Godzilla, if you wanted to make an action-packed sci-fi that didn't look like a cheap joke and you lived in Japan animation probably looked a lot more promising whereas in the West you'd just make a movie because the money and the sfx know-how was available

Episodic comedies get better ratings on reruns.

there are many examples of out liars, but episodic shows are easier to syndicate for reruns and are generally cheaper

>tight, over-arcing storylines
>anime
pick only one

It happens, just not when it's being adapted from a currently ongoing manga.

>Things that i don't like aren't funny
Tumblr please go

>Anime
>Tight storylines
What?

So few anime have tight plotting. In general, they're all over the place, especially the hyper popular stuff. There are of course notable exceptions, but it's not the norm.

The best anime was an episodic comedy, tho.

>waaahh, someone insulted my immaculate hobby

even weebs don't pretend anime is funny

well sometimes, but the smarter ones don't

Because American television is funded from top down, not from bottom up. Shows are expensive to do, and require financial backing from major networks and media companies. They expect a healthy return on their investment, so they want properties that they could potentially exploit for years.

Anime is funded by the studio itself along with some partners. They buy time from the networks then resell the ad time themselves. Their profit expectations are far more modest, competition is be the next big thing is fierce, and audiences are fickle. In this speedy environment, there is no time to develop episodic shows with staying power.

>people think SU is about the gem war when like 3 episodes a season deal with it