Is Geoff Johns DC's very own Bendis?

Is Geoff Johns DC's very own Bendis?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/brianmbendis/status/294973436516790274
twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/765188960247160834
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

probably, except he's nowhere near as bad.

I dont read Bendis stuff but how bad can he be? Johns has been terrible for the last 6 years

No. Despite his recent slew of sub-par work and his questionable characterizations of certain characters (Batman particularly), he legitimately cares about the characters and stories he writes and respects continuity. He's passionate and doesn't just spew out character-destroying shit for the sake of it.

Considering Johns is saving the industry with Rebirth and Bendis is running Marvel into the ground with Civil War, no.

Even bad Johns is better than Bendis

Even Lobdell is better than Bendis

take johns. and then take away what love he has for the characters and instead of bringing back the old hero to work with the replacements replace the old one and make him the worse person ever

>respects continuity
Respects continuity he likes that is. If a character isn't on Johns' lovelist they should be worried when they're in his stories.

Which is still better than Bendis, who forgets his own continuity within a series.

I'll concede that.

>respects continuity

He only respects his own continuity. He changed Wonder Woman age TWICE in the same arc.

I don't really think I have seen too bad examples of Johns ignoring continuity and it ending badly.

Didn't Morrison call Bendis his evil twin?
Someone did.

>I don't really think I have seen too bad examples of Johns ignoring continuity and it ending badly.
He ruined the Flash. He completely and totally destroyed 20 years of world building, characters and mythos to make Barry look cool for one arc.

IMO with Johns when he doesn't care they might get poorly characterized but it doesn't usually feel like he's shitting on them. They just have the wrong voice and won't get the cool splash page+one liner like his faves.

Might have been Slott who said it, I think it was on twitter either way

Darkseid War and Blackest night

twitter.com/brianmbendis/status/294973436516790274

which arc? Flash rebirth? flashpoint? because with flash rebirth he wanted a speed force book for everyone else like how there was green lantern and glc. and then he wanted alternating barry and wally arcs. both were turned down. and flashpoint was just supposed to be a simple au arc

I find it hard to really judge it in that way because he obviously had a real plan that didn't get the chance to play out. Like it's clear he intended for the Flash family to be pretty important since he wanted to build a Zoom parallel of it.

>Zoom/Kadabra War never ever

darkseid war i'll give you but blackest night was great.

Flash Rebirth. "The speed force was actually created by Barry and then went back in time so every Flash to ever live was actually working through Barry making their achievements his". Also his bullshit about the negative speedforce or having Wally job to a number of villains he had previously overcome just so Barry could save the day was bullshit.

Snyder is like some unholy DC hybrid of Slott and Bendis.

No, Johns is DC's Quesada, right down to the job title (they're both Chief Creative Officers).

kadabra was brought back at least. too bad he we are stuck with the shitties reverse flash in thawne with zoom's powers. he was worse than zoom in the show

I'm pretty sure they'll just retcon Thawne straight up. It's so bad.

Geoff Johns is far more open to sharing his toys than Bendis

Thanks. Makes even more accurate.

>kadabra was brought back at least. too bad he we are stuck with the shitties reverse flash in thawne with zoom's powers. he was worse than zoom in the show
Williamson is going to retcon the shit out of that. Even in the Rebirth #1 for Flash he showed images of Barry remembering Thawne from the silver age and not from the new 52.

they just mentioned him post rebirth. of course it also had teen titans wally say danny was his uncle. can't wait for danny to come back and see his son and nephew are both flash's too and his son has his lightning

Why did he delete his tweet about congratulating DC peeps on July numbers?

And, to a somewhat sad extent, open to letting them being shit on. See Green Lantern.

It changed the origin of life in the universe.

>for danny to come back
About that, maybe you should read suicide squad.

>he wanted a speed force book for everyone

Fucking idiot stop believing Johns, the guy LIES.

Not anymore, have you read his comments about new 52 Teen Titans?

Yeah I call bullshit on that to. They brought Barry back because of Flash sales falling, they weren't going to give Flash another book.

twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/765188960247160834

Twitter is weird sometimes, I think links get broken if you followed someone's RT and they unretweeted it

>Geoff Johns is far more open to sharing his toys than Bendis

Prez got a book. Shazam didnt. Johns is the reason we don't have an ongoing

Badly I'll mostly agree with, but Johns' getting rid of Guy Gardner's Warrior incarnation (just for an easy example) so he can get a "classic" Green Lantern family (of sorts) rubs me the wrong way.

And for another somewhat famous example, Superboy was already a half clone of some mad scientist who wasn't Lex Luthor.
Nope. Show me.

no
hit me sounds interesting

He also knew about the change of plans for flashpoint, he was working with Lee on new52.

That is fucking weird.

He didn't lie about that, the plans just changed when they decided to do the reboot.

>no
>hit me sounds interesting
>Nope. Show me.
>"What happened with the 'New 52' was that a brick wall had been built between that and everything that had happened before. In my mind, it was like a brick wall, and it felt like, say, the version I read of Raven wasn't the Raven I'm reading now. It felt like the emotional connection I had with the character broke. I'll tell you a character specifically, and I'll be candid about it: Superboy, Connor Kent."

>"One of my favorite characters of all time," Johns continued, "And I had a great time writing him in Teen Titans, and I loved writing him in his solo run [in Adventure Comics]. They reintroduced him in the 'New 52' and he was so different, so vastly changed, that I couldn't connect with the book that well. The emotional tie just severed, and it didn't sever in the way that made me angry, it was worse than that: I had apathy for it. I didn't care anymore."

That is holding no punches.

Hasn't it been basically confirmed that the New 52 was forced on DC by WB? Or am I spending too much time on Sup Forums?

Why do people try to propagate this meme? They're nothing alike.

>He didn't lie about that, the plans just changed when they decided to do the reboot.
Flash was never going to get another book when sales are dwindling, that isn't how it works.

>They reintroduced him in the 'New 52' and he was so different, so vastly changed, that I couldn't connect with the book that well.
oh the irony
he ruined Superboy in his TT

yeah but I meant I thought blackest night was good

it was a time bomb. he is just chilling in the past

I just want to point out that Johns did the same exact thing with the same exact character.

>Hasn't it been basically confirmed that the New 52 was forced on DC by WB? Or am I spending too much time on Sup Forums?
It wasn't. Dwindling sales led them to a poorly thought out reboot.

I never saw that much confirmed but there was pushing fro some kind of reboot for a couple of years. It was supposed to happen with Final Crisis (though obviously that wouldn't have been a new 52 style reboot).

They're both ugly and bad comic book writers

they had been wanting to reboot for years and then wb told them to do it then

good. a simple t-shirt and jeans is better than that fashion disaster

>this is your average Johnsfag

I don't doubt that, but the point I'm making is that Johns isn't going to let people fuck with his version of characters anymore. He locked himself in a room with Abnett and Williamson to plan out Aquaman/Flash for the future for example. He's got his finger on the pulse of all his favourites.

The thing is that he KNEW that wasnt happening, and kept talking about his plans

You cant take him seriously, i remember when he was talkiong about Kanto... And what Kanto did in Darkseid War?

>But there were some characters that caught my attention, like Mister Miracle, like Kanto — I don't know why, Jay and I probably talked about him 12 hours once. I just got into that character, because he's so bizarre. When I read about him and I read his stories, and he was connected to Mister Miracle and he's Darkseid's assassin. But he has actually spent, like, years and years on Earth. He escaped Apokolips and came to Earth for years and was here during the Renaissance era, which was reflected in his costume, which kind of explained why he looked the way he did. But more importantly, it gave him a different perspective than I think a lot of the other characters who were closely tied to Darkseid

>good. a simple t-shirt and jeans is better than that fashion disaster
but Johnsboy is an emo fag while PAD Young Justice Superboy was an egotistical idiot with agood heart.

>good. a simple t-shirt and jeans is better than that fashion disaster
Fashion wasn't the only aspect of the character that was changed. He went from being a fun loving bad boy of sorts to being an angsty emo kid. And don't give me crap about Lex Luthor being his half-dad, that was already a plotline except Luthor wasn't the person he was a half clone of. See

>The thing is that he KNEW that wasnt happening, and kept talking about his plans

True but that doesn't mean the whole thing was a lie. It clearly was going to happen at one point and didn't.

And Kanto got his scene early on, that wasn't a lie.

And who was the hired gun?

More like Michael Bay, but yes

>It clearly was going to happen at one point and didn't.
How can you believe this? Why would they give a book with dwindling sales a new title?

Someone with a lot of loyalty, I'm guessing.

>And Kanto got his scene early on

Sure, he drank wine.

They knew the sales would go up when Johns went on the book and a second title would be feasible. Why are you doubting that this was the plan just because it didn't happen? Why paint it as a lie when initially it wasn't? The only lie was him leading fans on after it got cancelled.

>They knew the sales would go up when Johns went on the book
Johns was on the book and had been for some time when they went down lol. What are you talking about.

Superboy had already gone through a massive, not that successful revamp at that point.

Not to sound like a cunt, but part of me feels like you guys calling Johns a liar is because you give his intelligence too much credit. His plots are all formulaic to a certain extent, he probably doesn't think things through that much.

Johns is actually still good though

I'm calling him a liar because he knew full well and good that Wally wasn't going to get a speedforce book.

Have you ever heard the behind-the-scenes horror stories about Bay? That comparison is a real insult.

>he brings Wally back and Wallyfags are STILL pissed at him

I'm not even sure what you're talking about now. Johns' Wally run when he was still a relatively literally who whose name didn't bring a sales boost? The Rebirth book sold well enough to justify a spinoff. Why deny this?

>his intelligence

I think that's the thing i do hate about him. the guy is terrible ignorant and too lazy to investigate stuff, i doubt he has ever read anything that doesnt has pictures

I'm not pissed at him anymore. The original comment was that Johns had never ignored continuity with it ending badly, which I've pointed out is not true.

What if we swap GJ for Bendis each one assuming the others current book

>i doubt he has ever read anything that doesnt has pictures
and that's why he eats cereal.

Hey, if he's going to be the "DC Bendis" all of Sup Forums has to start making up lots of crap to justify the epic hate we're all about to throw at him.

If a kid breakes something and then he tries to fix it with glue it doesnt mean he didnt fuck up the first time. It doesnt cancel it.

He gave us Flashpoint and new53, rebirth won't change that.

I think the bulk of the unnecessary hate has come and gone already. People are justified in some of their anger, but it's not pure shitposting every time his name comes up.

He played the company man on Flashpoint and new 52 so that he could get the opportunity to fix things with Rebirth now. The only downside is that he'll likely bend to their whims with Rebirth eventually but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

>The Rebirth book sold well enough to justify a spinoff. Why deny this?
Evidently not.

No, because unlike Bendis, Johns doesn't piss off his fans by writing books

well if you feel that way fine

>Even Lobdell is better than Bendis
No, just no.

yes

>well if you feel that way fine
That way, is the way it is, there was never a speedforce book, Wally and the whole Flash family got shelved and Johns is delusional if he thought it was going to happen.

At least his redundant text is only mirroring the art rather than bloated character exchanges

Lobdell never wrote a 4 part story that took 9 months and then retconned it at the end

>He played the company man on Flashpoint and new 52

He always does that, that's how he got the CCO role and his new job, Thats why we have Manhattan involved in rebirth, he was told to do it and he did it.

Being spineless isnt a good thing, being a bitch of the executives so he could be a suit eventually isnt a good thing either.

Wallyfags almost make me hate Wally

Last i checked, bendis never became president at marvel comics. Also at least Johns isn't as bad as Slott

>they will never accept that Johns brought Wally back twice because he loves him

>he was told to do it and he did it.
Source?

I never said it was good or bad. It just is what it is.

Obviously in the immediate present it seems like a win. I'm not going to wring my hands too much about it when I don't have power in the situation beyond just not reading when things go to shit.

Well, OBVIOUSLY they're both just horrible people who personally destroyed the comicbooks industry forever...

...BUT which of them hates comicbooks and their readers more?

DCU Rebirth was him saying "I literally did nothing wrong"

Johns = Wally, Barry, Pandora
WB executives (possibly both comics and movies) = Manhattan

the story is taking 2 years to tell because the end will be determined by how the fans respond

>...BUT which of them hates comicbooks and their readers more?
bendis? I mean Johns seems really cool. He brought people waiting in line for Rebirth pizza

Have you read Bendis' comics in the last five years? Before that I would've agreed that there was no way Bendis could've been worse than Lobdell.

I hate to say it but I'd rather read Lobdell's New 52 stuff over Bendis' Age of Ultron.

No, he is DC's Dan Slott.

Diane Nelson, maybe?

Viewed as being able to spin shit into gold. Doesn't give a shit about continuity (forced New 52/wrote Guardians and X-Men)