Suicide Squad should have been a covert-ops movie

This movie should have been a covert ops/heist/espionage movie from the very beginning. That's what the Suicide Squad comics were always about, they usually featured the Squad going to foreign countries to participate in covert ops missions. The comics were very popular during the Cold War where the Suicide Squad would participate in foreign conflicts.

The feel of this movie is a lot like the New 52 version of the comic, doing stuff like killing masses of zombies and fighting a CGI immortal being. But DC realized that they made a mistake with that plot, the plot really fell apart during the end issues, and changed it to the "New Suicide Squad" which returns to a covert ops theme across foreign countries.

Personally, I'd like it if the villains were Russians or Chinese working on some evil project like cloning Superheroes or a story about nuclear weapons and nuclear testing on humans.

bad guys saving the world and doing it because they can do good things sometimes was an okay plot.
I just wanted more missions to emphasize the team aspect of the group.

>Personally, I'd like it if the villains were Russians or Chinese working on some evil project like cloning Superheroes or a story about nuclear weapons and nuclear testing on humans

That would have been cool. Waller could have said something like "the Chinese are working on their own Superman and we have to stop them." Then their weapon is released before it's finished and goes crazy. That way we get the covert ops mission and big guy final fight.

could be cool. I feel they nailed most characters but found the plot and big bad unnecessary and felt like WB added it to be a typical summer blockbuster CGI plot point. Definitely interested to see what they do next with Suicide Squad characters.

this
thought I would hate Harley but Robbie is actually a pretty great actress

>I'd like it if the villains were Russians or Chinese working on some evil project

Why don0t you go fuck yourself?

That's the plot of the Chinese arc of the New Suicide Squad. They go to China to explode a factory that is trying to create artificial superheroes. But they fail at detonating the bombs and have to fight them. One of the superheroes is actually a complete Superman-like clone who goes crazy and has to be killed by the Chinese army.

>bad guys saving the world and doing it because they can do good things sometimes was an okay plot.
It wasn't a bad plot. The problem is that if you're going to have a team of bad guys do heroic things, why not just have the heroes do them?

Flash exists. Where was he during this?

>Flash exists. Where was he during this?
bottoming

>Iron Man exists. Where was he during this?

Of course it should've been. WB shit the bed hard.

Is this run any good? I dropped the first n52 series after issues 20 because it was boring. This new team woth manta and reverse flash seems interesting.

They should have been sent to fight ISIS with explosives strapped to their bodies that can take out a large area instead of just killing them. Us can deny any involvement in fighting ISIS and they can get rid off criminals at the same time.

Black Manta practically is the star of the New Suicide Squad comics, he outshines Harley and is a co-star with Deadshot. He's a very interesting character and takes a leadership role in many situations.

The missions do take an international approach, going to places like Russia, China, and the Middle East in order to secure US global dominance. And I like how Amanda Waller has to compete for bureaucratic power with Vic Sage. The artwork of some of the issues is very good too.

The problem with "save the world" was that isn't Amanda Waller's job- that's the military's and the UN's job.

She makes it very clear in the comics that her job is to do things for the self interests of the US and its status as a superpower. Most of the missions are about sabotaging foreign governments. She is supposed to be an incredibly selfish bureaucrat who only cares about the US and doesn't give a damn about foreign countries.

>his movie should have been a covert ops/heist/espionage movie from the very beginning

Like the comics?
Personally, I'd like it if the villains were Russians or Chinese working on some evil project like cloning Superheroes or a story about nuclear weapons and nuclear testing on humans.

Those are the biggest foreign markets, can't offend them, or anybody else. Just use the made up DC countries like Rheelasia, Kahndaq, Bialya, etc.

Yes but then you couldn't show the movie in China. Look at how much money Suicide Squad will make over there!

If it were up to me...

- Opening.
>Gotham City.
>Deadshot has been hired by an anonymous source, who turns out to be Waller, to take down The Joker and Harley Quinn.
>While on his assignment, The Joker and Harley Quinn are setup in an abandoned amusement park.
>Batman intervenes, stopping both Deadshot and capturing Harley Quinn, but alas, The Joker gets away.
>Scene with Waller and the guys in the restaurant, talking about she finally has all the pieces she needs.

The movie should have involved Joker if they were going to bother having him and Harley.

Shit's going haywire that the government wants put down while the Joker's somehow embroiled in it all. Justifies bringing in Harley, especially if she feels spurned by a previous Joker betrayal.

It's too early for "No Man's Land" but something with that feel would have been perfect. Just keep the threat grounded enough to justify the Squad, and then ramp it up as the sequels go along.

I rather liked the approach that it's a crazy fucking world where these freaks just congregate. Too many other capeshit movies seem afraid to get weird and typical stay in the same wheelhouse unless they're pulling an Avengers. I just wish the movie was good while doing that.

i honestly thought Joker was gona be the villain until story info started spreading out, itd be a nicer story too not that the final.movies story was that

It would make sense, especially given how heavily pushed he was in all the marketing.

>Joker and Harley are scrounging up material to make Joker venom on an industrial scale
>He leaves Harley for dead when Batman intervenes
>Maybe have Deadshot in the mix like this user said.
>The Joker sprays a city block/military installation/etc. with the Joker venom in a bid to get a weapon/general macguffin (maybe a nuke, like in Harlequinade), possibly in conjunction with another villain who can provide mooks
>Not only does this attack make the government look bad, but sending in soldiers to shoot citizens/other military personnel would be a PR nightmare
>Waller seizes the opportunity to fund her "Suicide Squad" initiative, which she can later put to use for her ulterior motives
>The Squad have to go in and foil the Joker's plan. There's a ticking clock and distrust all around. Can our unlikely heroes learn to work together and save the day?

I'm not saying this is great, but if you're using a villain like the Joker, make use of him, and don't just do the same old "World conquering baddy/blue light in the sky finale" bullshit over again.

Works for me. And it brings a bit more of a cohesive story/opening than 10 different intros. Keep Boomer's Flash thing though.

The only problem I see with this is, knowing DC, they'd probably make Harley sympathetic and turn her against Joker in some way.

Maybe they could do it in a later movie, but Harley and Joker's relationship had to start out as batshit and unquestioning in their DCCU debut. It was handled badly sure, but it was one of the few things that I kinda liked about the movie

100% agree. The whole "meta human defence force" thing felt off to me. The squad does the dirty jobs, the ones the USA doesn't want to be involved with

It didn't even get released over there. Apparently a combination of the supernatural antagonist and the Japanese flag on Katana's mask

I agree. I don't know where this Hot Topic meme came from. The movie was not at all like the comics that actually matter. The comic that was a cult classic just like DnA cosmic.

I don't feel the same amount of risk in the movie as I did in the comic. Because Harley Quinn and Will Smith are not ever in danger. Neither is Katana, Croc, or Boomerang.

It feels like if Bendis Guardians was the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but for DC.

>The Joker sprays a city block/military installation/etc. with the Joker venom in a bid to get a weapon/general macguffin (maybe a nuke, like in Harlequinade), possibly in conjunction with another villain who can provide mooks

Strange.

But just as the Joker seems like he's about to lose, Hugo ditches him and goes behind everybody's backs to make a deal with Waller.

Flagg finds out about it, and unable to forgive the sheer scale of Strange's atrocities, tries to kill the mad doctor only to be shot dead by Waller, who reasons that Hugo can make "50 of him" by next week.

>they'd probably make Harley sympathetic and turn her against Joker in some way.

They could've worked that angle in with the what looks like the original relationship where joker is annoyed/uninterested in Harley but just uses her anyway but it's very clear he abuses her and will kill her just for the hell of it.

Then we cut to Harley who's been through her prison sentence alone and reflects back seeing clearer that Joker doesn't love her. She warms up to the squad and leaves Joker when he runs into the squad because she realizes that there is no "normal" being with him.

1. 60s Squad/Task Force X was a team of scientists, doctors and soldiers doing shit like fighting dinosaurs.
2. Even the Ostrander villain style squad's first mission was "hey, go kill this giant monster" (Brimstone) that wasn't an invention of the New 52.

That's easy to handwave because why the fuck would SHIELD or Fury talk to Tony about spy secrets?

This once could be easy to to explain.
Better question would be: "Where was Steve during IM3?"
I mean except maybe avoiding this shitty movie.

>why wouldn't Cap ask for Tony's help

also this

I still have no idea how the fuck WB screwed this one up.

David Ayer has literally built a career out of writing and directing films about teams of morally-compromised lunatics and cynics who have to get their shit together and deal with a force bigger and badder then them, because only the bad can take out the worse. That's been his whole fucking goddamn career, it's like he was grown in a vat specifically to direct a Suicide Squad movie and has spent the last 20 years training with his other screenplays to get himself ready for it.

And we got some sort of maudlin, sappy tortured romance involving Enchantress and Rick Flagg? There's no way that was Ayer's idea, I don't care what bullshit he feeds to the press. Ayer has NEVER cared about romance in his films, he barely cares about women in general. To him they seem to be distractions from the testosterone and the big-dick operator assault rifles he loves so much.

This whole project is maddening to me. I'm not even some sort of Ayer fanboy, but if there was one project that gonzo hyper-masculine lunatic was perfect for it was Suicide Squad. DC has gone from hiring people who were terrible for the projects they were given to hobbling the actual good choices they picked.

but the Ostrander Yale run defined itself as a spec ops story. Its second mission was a secret strike on Qurac and the trend continued troughout the whole cold war and beyond

You're kinda blowing up the romance aspect of the story.

because Tony would be on everyone's radar. Some random vet who Steve shared a jogging route with not so much.
Cap wasn't in IM3 because air force threw their dick around to keep SHEILD out of the Iron Man shit. Also Tony was dead.

I wish it had fallen somewhere between Lone Survivor and Warriors. A really drawn out on the run "will they make it" kind of ordeal.

June Moon isn't working for the government. She's an independent archeologist/researcher. When she gets possessed by Enchantress the Taliban or ISIS or make up some desert dwelling terrorist organization finds her and pretty much does what Waller did. They hide her in some country where US troops don't have permission to go. She sends in the Task Force X for obvious reasons and because they don't know exactly where they're keeping her. So it's a search and destroy mission or at very least narrowing down the options for a more precise strike from another team. Around the halfway point when they're getting pretty close the Terrorists demand more power from Enchantress to stop them and that's when the shit hits the fan with weird magical mutant terrorist soldiers and mythological creatures. A few Squad members die and in the end Waller changes the orders from destroy to acquire and you get some weekend version of Enchantress for the next movie.

>Enchantress and Rick Flagg
What?
But the Enchantress is fucking gross, what about the hot asian chick?

>cape film has a giant world ending blue beam shooting into the sky

ENOUGH OF THIS SHIT

REEEEEEEEEEEE

I would have liked it if Waller had the squad break into a secret Lexcorp facility after he was arrested in BvS to see what he's been keeping secret. At the bottom Level is a half formed Bizzaro clone that they have to fight.

Obviously it wouldn't be as strong as Superman

A terrorist was threatening the United States and the president was kidnapped. I don't care that Cap wasn't in IM3 but let's not pretend it makes any sense

Fury told him to trust nobody. He didn't even know if he could trust Widow at first

Should have been produced by marvel

The Vice President was dirty.

So, the first Suicide Squad comic arc had them take out a Middle Eastern terrorist organization called the Jihad. How would people react if they actually adapted that?

It'd be way more relevant now than it was during the 1980s. Would've been fucking great.

This idea would have worked. Something like the time when Joker became ambassador to Iran, so the US government couldn't publicly just ask it's heros to fuck shit up.

I thought the parallels to the Avengers was hilarious. Black person assembles a team of degenerates to do some good.

It makes it better that at the end Bruce says to "shut it down" since his friends will handle it.

The whole "what if Superman went rogue" concept falls apart when your team is made up of normies. When Waller wanted to tackle the Justice League in the New52 she made another version of the Justice League- she didnt send her B team to take down the A listers.

Well CAIR would have thrown a fit. And Frank Miller would probably be threatening to sue because he'd think it was a rip-off of Holy Terror because he's a hack and thinks he's the only one to ever think of "Comic Book Characters fighting terrorists."

Either way the movie would be way better than the garbage fire we got.

It should have been more intelligent than it was, but it embodies all that is anti-intellectual.

Should've been like the Ostrander's first arc, SS against Jihad.
Specially since ISIS is hot these days.

You could have the mission be a joint OP with the Chinese Government to deal with a rogue sect or something.

Amanda feels so fucking incompetent in this movie, she's just cleaning up her own retarded mess.

Comic Wall is a bastion of competency, at least when Ostrander is writing.

>David Ayer has literally built a career out of writing and directing films about teams of morally-compromised lunatics and cynics
explain Sabotage

>Manta in the Squad

That is exactly the kind of crazy the Wall can work with. Methodical, obsessive, heavily armed, and more or less rational.

>Comic Wall is a bastion of competency, at least when Ostrander is writing.

Hell no, she humbles her way through the comics more often than not, and usually just full of enough bluster to fake her way through until the situation corrects itself.

>humbles

Bumbles*

>Manta with an AK

Hilarious but also awesome.

Too bad those things are useless underwater.

>new 52 squad

I don't like it. They come off more like antiheroes, rather than villains forced to band together.

I really don't know why they didn't just do something like this.

Tony was doing whatever he usually does, unsuspecting of the conspiracy within SHIELD.

A better question is why didn't Steve try to get his help, but SHIELD would have expected that and would have been watching Stark very very closely.

>phone rings
>Yello?
>AAAGGH TONY HELP

He was dealing with ptsd and locking himself in his basement specifically to ignore the world around him

It doesn't help that they don't have their own Rick Flag/Bronze Tiger to be the True North of the SS' moral compass