Is it just me, or did Alan Moore really fall off after the 80s...

Is it just me, or did Alan Moore really fall off after the 80s. he keeps talking about how his Superhero stuff was just a short period of his career in earlier times and hes since moved past that, but if you look at his production most BIG 2 its been pretty lacking.

When he went to Image it just seemed like he was desperately apologizing for the "dark age" and doing really boilerplate cover album stuff like Supreme and Judgement Day, then he goes to ABC and does the pretty cool Loeg Books but his stuff around then was otherwise basic "good comics" like Top Ten or him doing his "classic pastiche" stuff like Tom Strong. and of course his weird gimmick passion projects like Promethea and Lost Girls.

I am just saying when you think of Moore's best work, its centered mostly around superhero shit, despite his clear retroactive distaste for them. Watchmen, Swamp Thing, Captain Britian, Miracleman even LOEG and V for vendetta to a certain extent. All the Moore "classics" are motsly rooted in superhero shit, and most of them for big cooperate companies. How ironic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FuA8K1mQWMc
slovobooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/last-alan-moore-interview/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Moore's problem is that people keep redoing the same shit at big two and that they don't give a fuck about creators.

Moore hates the concept of adults reading comics. At the same time, he tries to make comics for adults.

He's written some good shit, but he's truly the pinnacle of pretentious.

Eh I think the people involved certainly care. Like I doubt guys like Johns and Lee and Quesada dislike creators given they fact they are creators and have depp personal and professional relationships with them. Its just that as a company its priority has to always been its bottom line, just like as a human your priority always has to be survival. It doesn't have to make them necessarily evil, certainly great works of art have been done by these companies in ways primarily driven by profit. But I doubt think its as simple as "Big 2 doesn't care about creators."

Hell, DC under Levitz was literally GIVING away money it was under no legal obligation to so . Didio and Quesada both have reps for keeping low selling books afloat out of respect for the arrostry. And even the so called "coorpate" mandates are usually driven by actual artistic goals, even if they may be disliked (Peter Parker shouldn't be married, bat characters cant have happily ever afters. you should not have an army of redundant characters, there needs to be stories that distill iconic characters into single books etc.) for good or bad all those came out of ways to make the best books in order to make there money it wasn't just NEED CASH FUCK PEOPLE

>Moore hates the concept of adults reading comics
Source

>Moore hates the concept of adults reading comics.

Moore has never said this. Ever.

I'm not a big Moore follower. I've read, like, a handful of his works. So, I'm not this Moore fanboy.

But the butthurt against him is unreal. Are people really that insecure about their taste in cape comics that they get triggered when a revered writer criticizes them?

I dunno, I like cape comics, but I don't dislike Alan Moore for not liking them.

>I don’t think the superhero stands for anything good. I think it’s a rather alarming sign if we’ve got audiences of adults going to see the Avengers movie and delighting in concepts and characters meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of the 1950s

- Alan Moore

superheroes =/= comics

Reminder that these statements were made as jokes to a live audience and then repurposed into clickbait.

>The only comics that exist are superhero comics.

And he's right. We only have to look at Snyderfags cheering about how mature Superman is now and how the DCEU isn't family friendly to see proof.

Moore and DC/Marvel is literally like a breakup. That ex who might not be that bad a girl and is probably really nice to others but to you will always be that cold-ass bitch. Moore cares about comics, just despises the corporate shenanigans that leave people like Kirby, Ditko, Anglo, or Friedrich with not much of anything while others make millions off their creations.

His own input has decreased due to not wanting to get involved in that again, but it has been consistently solid. Just in the 90s he put out From Hell which is better than any of his superhero comics.

At one point, he wanted to write comics that adults could at least appreciate, and explore what the medium had to offer. Since getting legally rammed, and seeing what the industry has made out of the trends he and a few others started, he has given up on it, and now only writes comic books if the paycheck is obscenely good.

>and now only writes comic books if the paycheck is obscenely good.

Is pretty much the opposite, he no longer gives a fuck about money and only does passion projects like Providence or Cinema Purgatorio.
If he carted about paycheck size he would be working for the big two, no for Avatar.

>but it has been consistently solid.

His Fishrape Necronomicon shit isn't solid, it's crap.

>didn't mention Voice of Fire

Jerusalem comes out next month. I'm going to get it and your use of buzzwords is bullshit

>tries

no, he DOES write comics for adults.

>pinnacle of pretentious

youtube.com/watch?v=FuA8K1mQWMc

>it wasn't just NEED CASH FUCK PEOPLE

so first of all, fuck your dubs and fuck you

second of all, you can't explain the glut of production in the 90s that printed more comics than needed and destroyed the industry. inflation is a thing.

>using the word hell to be melodramatic about charity

i'll bet you like the disney corporation

Yeah Levitz was the guy holding back Before Watchmen

He seems pretty sad and hateful. Most of the shit he's talked about in recent years has just been how much he hates different things. His agenda against Grant Morrison is particularly weird. He makes it sound like everything Grant has ever written was just a ripoff of his own work, when in reality Grant probably just ripped him off once in passing with something that was more like a reference than plagiarism.

Moore hasn't been relevant since 1989.

and yet that's wrong

His beard looks like a fungus that's slowly devouring him.

>Since getting legally rammed

Dude has never been cheated out of anything. He made his career out of rewriting other people's characters. Most comics fans and nearly all of the media still think Alan Moore created Swamp Thing. Moore NEVER gave credit to Steve Ditko for Watchmen.

Moore is basically just a fraud who writes fedora shit and appeals to fedora fags. He's THE #1 reason why modern comics appeal to literal autists and /r9k/ tier losers.

And yet Alan Moore has written numerous superhero comics.

Moore hates you btw, dunno why you're trying to defend him.

He has had a successful work that anyone other than """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""critics"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" has cared about since The Killing Joke.

People really need to accept that Moore was just never that great. In the 80s he may have a standout, and in the ABC era he may have been better than average, but that's ALL he's ever been.

>He has

He HASN'T

Capeshit is terrible. It's a limiting genre that's so disgustingly mired in commercial ties and branding it's obvious to anyone with half a brain

>that these statements were made as jokes
So much of what Moore says is a joke, but he delivers it all with perfect deadpan and people think he's being serious

so league of extraordinary gentlemen meant nothing? i haven't even read it and it has a movie.

bloviate some more

> Moore NEVER gave credit to Steve Ditko for Watchmen.

He explicitly does so in the documentary In Search of Steve Ditko

It's certainly not like someone's opinion can change over the course of years or anything.

Considering he spent his entire Christmas vacation a few years ago writing a literal novel-length reply to an email interview just to shit on "Batman scholars", Grant Morrison, and superheroes as a whole - that's some pretty next level trolling.

source please

slovobooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/last-alan-moore-interview/

Moore is a miserable broken man. He even laments how he's not spending time with his family and is writing this drible instead LOL

Moore on Morrison is fucking hilarious. Moore claims that he's only read 2000 AD and never touched anything else, yet also claims that EVERYTHING Morrison has written was inspired by Moore.

Even the stuff that young Morrison published before Moore entered comics.

Sure, Morrison has said some audacious stuff, but Moore is either flat out lying or making wild narcissistic claims.

He hates his old stuff because, much like Sup Forums, he's a contrarian bitch.

Ever since reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen i've come to the conclusion that while Watchmen and certain works are good, Alan Moore is garbage and not good

I honestly believe Moore is now saying Joker doesn't die at the end of Killing Joke purely to spite Grant Morrison after listening to him say the Joker dies at the end of it during that one interview he did with Kevin Smith.

The other really batshit crazy one (maybe even crazier than Moore) is Michael Moorcock talking about how Grant Morrison plagiarized his Jerry Cornelius character for that one extremely brief, maybe two panel section of the Invisibles where King Mob imagines he's 'Gideon Stargrave'. Moorcock already made a point of saying his Jerry Cornelius character was someone any writer could use, but I guess because Morrison gave him a different name that crossed his mental plagiarism line. I think Morrison gets targeted by these other artists because his style is extremely reference-heavy meta-fiction, and these writers see one of their works get referenced and can't tell the difference between that and actual plagiarism. Or maybe they do know the difference but complain about it anyway because they want to cash in on the popularity Morrison's experienced in the past decade or so.

>He even laments how he's not spending time with his family and is writing this drible instead

have you ever considered that's a joke?

or maybe Morrison works for DC and DC is basically outmoded childrens' capeshit.

i have never read anything by morrison. who are the people who read morrison? capeshit fans i suppose.

COME GUYS JUST SAY IT.

YOU DON'T LIKE ALAN MOORE BECAUSE YOU READ CAPESHIT.

>Morrison works for DC

Morrison works for every comic company there is pretty much.

go to bed Alan. it's fucking 4 AM or in britbong land.

>reads comics but looks down on others who read comics involving superheroes

I honestly think it's jealousy. They see Morrison (arguably) surpassing them, and cognitive dissonance kicks in. "No, he can't actually be talented... he just got to where he is by copying me!!"

not marmite. think moonpies, dingus.

>still clinging to capeshit

Which mature, high class non-superhero comics do you read, autist-user?

whichever ones don't have outmoded protagonists that were created in the 30s, 40s or 50s.

>too ashamed to name the pretentious comics for mature audiences he reads

Predictable desu.

>He hates his old stuff
He's distanced himself from it, but when fans come up to him and tell him how much they enjoy, say Swamp Thing, he takes the compliment.

I mean David Bowie stopped playing his old songs in the 90's not because he's some edgy contraction, but because he's an artist and he didn't want to live off performing his greatest hits

Otherwise you end up like Marv Wolfman, Chris Claremont , or Paul Levitz writing for a character that you had success with decades ago and producing schlock

Almost like overindulging in booze and drugs every day of your life fucks with your brain and turns it into a pile of mediocrity-spewing sludge or something.

>Most of the shit he's talked about in recent years has just been how much he hates different things.

This meme again.

Its not his fault people keep asking him the same questions and decide to ignore him every time he is no complaining.

Like take this for example, he spends a lot interview explaining his work, and has some actually interesting opinions, but the only part about it people seem to care about, is the fragment when he complains about superheroes, which is only a small part of a much lengthier response about the accusations against the sexual violence in his comics.

He's grown old and bitter and uses that to make himself feel smart and special, much like your average user.

His """"interesting"""" opinions are anything but that. He gives common sense arguments against literal tumblr-tier accusations, but takes 4x as many words as needed to state them.

You do not need 4 fucking paragraphs to say "In order for art to work, people need to be allowed to write about those different from themselves."

>so league of extraordinary gentlemen meant nothing? i haven't even read it and it has a movie.
Fucking Grumpy Cat had a movie FFS.
I mean, I love LOEG, but that's a pretty stupid point on your part.

He probably reads Saga or Lumberjanes.

I have no idea what """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""critics"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Is supposed to imply. It seems like some " No true Scotsman" crap

You said Moore hates the concept of adults reading comics. This quote has nothing to do with that. It has to do with Moore's opinions on adults liking superheroes.

>You do not need 4 fucking paragraphs
Unless the interview was done by telegraph i don't what's the point trying to enforce economy in words, i mean is no like he goes off topic.

If you're job is being a writer you should probably be a little better at expressing ideas efficiently while speaking.

>expressing ideas efficiently
Yeah, that's totally what writing is about, expressing your ideas in least amount possible.

the point is to clearly convey a point, instead of rambling like a high school student trying to fill up space on a midterm paper.

For most of Sup Forums comics means superheroes

It's part of writing is about. If your actual idea is surrounded by ten times the amount of words required to express it, then you aren't a good writer.

I am flabbergasted that you're desperate to defend a man who would think you're a mental midget for posting on a community like Sup Forums.

For most of comics the topic is superheroes.

>the point is to clearly convey a point

Which he does, and even offers various analogies to exemplify his point.

If you are academic writer maybe, but the idea the every writer should use the minium amount of words possible is retarded.

Is there any comic writer that actually likes Sup Forums?

I'm pretty sure he's gone on record as saying Saga is the only modern comic worth his time.

Of course, that was back when it was still good.

>most of comics
If you actually think this that's hilarious and sad. You really believe that out of ALL OF COMICS superheroes take up anything like a majority?

>Is there any comic writer that actually likes Sup Forums?
As far as I know only artists come here. Steve Lieber, Brandon Graham, James Stokoe, Cameron Stewart

>minium amount of words possible

Being efficient isn't the same as using the minimum amount of words possible. You're going from one extreme to the other.

>You really believe that out of ALL OF COMICS superheroes take up anything like a majority?

There are more superhero comics than any one person could ever read in a hundred lifetimes. What non-superhero comics are you even thinking of that could possibly come close to the superhero comic volume? Calvin & Hobbes type Sunday morning comics? Archie? Modern pretentious non-superhero comics for mature audiences that revolve around non-superpowered normies like Strangers in Paradise? Still nowhere close to the amount of superhero comics if you combine all of those.

Having never touched a single Moore book nor read anything about this man, am I to understand that he hates me regardless of if I enjoy comics or not, or he dislikes that I don't read his comics, or does he want me to read his comics?

He doesn't have Internet. He can't just come to Sup Forums to get that kind of thing out of his system.

>Being efficient isn't the same as using the minimum amount of words possible. You're going from one extreme to the other.
Okay, he doesn't repeats himself, or goes off topic and his ideas are expressed quite clearly, seems rather efficient to me, even if a little wordy.
Also is an interview not an essay.

>If you actually think this that's hilarious and sad. You really believe that out of ALL OF COMICS superheroes take up anything like a majority?

Google's of that opinion.

If you are over 18 years old and you read superhero comics or watch superhero movies, he thinks you're stupid.

Or to paraphrase him "you're retreating into a fantasy world from the complexities of an increasingly overwhelming reality instead of maturing and facing it."

Manga and European comics are starters

America isn't the only country making comics

Yes manga are comics, don't even try that retarded argument

Cerebus? Hellboy? BPRD? Bone? Disney Duck Comics? 2000AD stuff? Dylan Dog?
And we're not even getting into manga here. And yes when we talk about the sequential art medium, manga is the same thing

What? He replied to an email interview request in which he responded to myriad internet criticisms of him. He also was pretty active on goodreads and answered questions there not too long ago.

>Yes manga are comics

No, manga doesn't count, that's why it goes on Sup Forums and not Sup Forums. And that's why Google shows you superhero comics and not manga when you search for the phrase comic book.

You're unbelievably stupid

Hellboy certainly qualifies as a superhero comic, as does much of 2000 AD. What are you trying to say?

>Hellboy

How is Hellboy not a superhero comic? Also still nowhere close to even a small fraction of the amount of superhero comics when you add up the examples you've given.

So reading spider man is dumb but if I read the sunday newspaper comics its ok? I'm starting to feel a little glad that I never read his stuff now

I've cited a mainstream search engine. You've cited your feelings.

Google also seems to think Seduction of the Innocent is a comic book, so i wouldn't trust him to much desu.

By this loose fucking definition Bone is a Superhero comic

That you both believe that one genre has more stories than the rest of an entire medium you are fucking retarded. Are there more westerns than all other film? Fuck no! Are there a shitload of westerns, yes!
What about the long ass runs of Horror and romance comics that ran before cape comics even got popular? Political Comics?

It uses backpropagation networks to give you the probablistically correct answers. Just because you can find one or two one-off 'bad' answers that conflict with your common sense doesn't mean it isn't mostly right on the big picture stuff. They use the same approach for their translation program and it works much better than the translation programs built non-probabilistically with hardcoded rules about language.

Why does Sup Forums pretend to hate superhero comics even though they talk about nothing else?

Do you now understand how retarded Moore's statement is? I hope this has been a learning experience for you.

You cited a search engine that not only tailors its results based on your internet use, but tailors it based on your location, ie America, where obviously the majority of comics are superhero, when you were responding to a question about all comics on earth

>Political Comics

Political cartoons are almost always limited to one or two panels. That's not the same as a comic *book*.

Whut I was just replying to being a retard I don't even know what you are referring to here.
Moore became a fucking lunatic somewhere along the way I never claimed to agree with Moore

You've never read a non-superhero comic in your life. You've probably never even read a comic book, you've just come here from Sup Forums to talk about movies.

>tailors its results based on your internet use

You can turn that off.

Did anyone see my goalposts?

You act like Sup Forums doesn't love to talk about what it hates

Right now would a new thread about the black actress playing Mary Jane get more posts or one about people's favorite inkers in comics?

Sup Forums has become a Sup Forums containment board.