Let's talk about Suicide Squad

I finally saw it, and i know you guys are all waiting for Anonymous' hot opinion on it, so...

You guys were giving me a really wrong impression here, who started this meme about Joker loving Harley too much in the movie? He uses electroshock on her, tries (initially) to kill her by convincing her to jump in the acid, leaves her to die in that river... when they jumped on the chopper i was expecting Joker to sacrifice himself to save her, because that's what i was told, but they were about to jump together! Harley just fell first by mistake because shit was exploding, Joker didn't plan to save her alone, he's clearly angry when they're separated. All in all their relationship was ok

But about the movie in general:
Eh, it was ok/10. It started decently enough, the characters were introduced nicely... until they decided they didn't have to introduce them all. Like, i hate how for example Katana comes out of nowhere and at the end of the movie disappears back into that nowhere. The movie never tries to hide the fact it only cares about Harley and Deadshot (and later Diablo i guess), which was off-putting for me. But that being said i liked Harley and DS and those small glimpses of the other characters, i just wish there could be more (somehow i doubt it's all due to cut scenes)

Waller kinda ended up looking like an idiot. When she's re-united with Flagg she goes "this Enchantress is incredible, how does she work, how did she fool the system?"
Bitch, you were sleeping with the spirit on an ancient demon on your bathroom's shelf, there was no system to fool. There was no good reason for her not to hide Incubus in the same place as Enchantress' heart, and while i'm sure some would argue that was her plan the whole time (the movie didn't really suggest that) there's nothing strategically sound about destroying an entire city and possibly the world just to see what a metahuman can do. I mean, her plan was to protect the world from them in the first place, right?

cont.

About Enchantress, meh, she was cool looking but shallow at best. I don't hate the idea of "an ancient evil awakens" per se, but they didn't handle it elegantly. Those lines about "building a machine" were so weird, and just like Doom in Fant4stic there was no good reason for her not to kill the Squad with her unbeatable superpowers. She picks on them with swords while cameras keep showing us her powers destroying stuff all over the world

About the rest of the Squad, as i said, they were fun (except Flagg, you damn crybaby), but there's just almost nothing for me to appreciate in the first place. Again, fucking Katana was a waste. Why did Waller pick her up? What was her motivation for going from fighting the Yakuza for revenge to fighting for baka gaijins picking up their own trash? And where did she go afterwards? Will she live with the squad in that prison? Did she go back to Japan? The movie doesn't care, and it's silly because it later wants YOU to care because they're "family" and stuff
Let's not mention Slipknot, i think his death would've been more funny if they introduced him properly

About Joker... i guess i have to agree with those that say we just didn't get enough to judge. But i do question some details, why the heck was he always growling and making all those noises like some animal? It felt like they tried too hard to make him look crazy without ever actually doing anything particularly crazy
About Harley, man does she need her own movie. While watching i was inevitably comparing her story to Mad Love, and i concluded we didn't see enough of her turning, or her past. Was she an hack like in Mad Love/The Batman series? Was she already quasi-crazy and obsessed with Mr J before meeting him like in Kesel's run? Was she a good gurl who dindu nuffin? But maybe that's my waifu-ism talking. I just like the character and i was glad to see a live-action version of her, despite everything

cont.

The action was decent but i'd say uninspired, especially considering the variety of the cast. Boomer throws, what, 3 boomerangs? And DS never pulls off any special trick like in his opening scene, Katana never absorbs any soul etc. The comedy was sometimes funny i guess. The "we're the bad guys" premise is kinda wasted, they turn into heroes too easily, but that's a problem with expectations i guess.

Long story short, i'd put this Suicide Squad in the same tier of movies like Daredevil, Ghost Rider or Superman Returns: it's a movie that's overall enjoyable, especially if you're a fan of the characters, but only as long as you don't try to think too much about the occasional weak writing and the questionable choices. Plus yeah, as many are saying the editing and pacing feels too rushed (situations and scenes come and go too quickly) and the soundtrack was obnoxious, although not as much as i expected it to be
So yeah, all those saying "better than any cape movie this year" are just either baiting or being perfect Sup Forumsntrarians, as expected. Heck, i've seen people claiming it was the best cape movie of the decade or something

Funny detail that doesn't really have to do with the movie itself. I took this picture outside the theater, you can barely read it but in italian it says
>By choice of Warner Bros, no promotion is valid
Did anyone else encounter such a thing? I've never seen anything like it ever. Basically i asked the guy working there and he said it means that all the usual stuff like discounts for kids, students, elders or whatever bundle can't be accepted if you're watching SS, you pay full price all the time. Which doesn't mean much because on mondays it's 4€, but still, so weird. Was WB that insecure about it's profits or what? Or maybe it's just something for the italian WB branch? I wouldn't know of course

Thanks for your blog post, but have you considered posting on the Sup Forums board? It's speficially made for all your movie shitposting.

>Post on Sup Forums
>"hurr go back to Sup Forums"
>Post on Sup Forums
>"hurr go back to Sup Forums"

There's no real difference. But Sup Forums's quality in posting is generally higher, so the choice was clear. Plus i started talking about Harley and Joker's relationship for a reason, i wanted to discuss with the comics fans complaining it was too far from what we have in comics/cartoons

Not muh marvel, nuh capekino, we wuz skawd

Pleased top trying to Sup Forums into a copy of the Sup Forums cesspool. We do have reasonable discussions here most of the time.

The bit about Joker is because in the original scene he throws Harley out of the chopper before they're in danger in an attempt to kill her himself. The scene is horribly cut together.

Yes, Waller comes off as a moron, especially when she kills her own men for no reason.

The movie is full of failures great and small, from failing to properly establish that Deadshot has a code of honor ("you've never killed no women or kids" is not "you DON'T kill women or kids") to the laugh-out-loud terrible editing and soundtrack.

I'd say comparing Suicide Squad to Daredevil is too favorable for Suicide Squad. Daredevil had a terrible script but at least the editing was competent.

HONKA HONKA YOU DON'T WANT NO BEEF?

>The bit about Joker is because in the original scene he throws Harley out of the chopper before they're in danger in an attempt to kill her himself
Do we know that for sure tho? Assuming they didn't rewrite the whole dang movie, why would Joker work so much to get back Harley only to try kill her like that?

>"you've never killed no women or kids" is not "you DON'T kill women or kids"
First thing i remembered when they spoke about that was how Deadshot earlier said to Harley "i'll hit you, i don't care that you're a woman". Of course killing and hitting isn't the same thing, but still, it was funny

In the italian localization they translated honka honka as "maschione alpha" (big alpha man)
Shame, i wanted to laugh

>why would Joker work so much to get back Harley only to try kill her like that?
Because he's the Joker.

And it would've been bad writing. The movie barely explored Joker's modus operandi or the details of his relationship with Harley, you can't just make him go "oops, i guess all the scenes building up to this were pointless, bye bye my only motivation in this story!"
Then again i guess we could argue Joker is overall pointless as it is still

>You guys were giving me a really wrong impression here, who started this meme Bout Joker loving Harley too much in the movie?

After N52 Harley started getting super popular, people around here started memeing up a completely different version of the character to be the opposite of Neo-Harley instead of actually reading her preboot comics or watching BTAS.

So they decided that Joker beat the shit out of Harley constantly and that she was completely illiterate and a huge slut (which, ironically, Palmiotti's Harley totally is.) Before Skwad came out they hyped themselves up for SS's Harley to be everything they though she could be to shock all the N52 fans and make them hate her.

So when Joker didn't spend 15 minutes smashing all her teeth in they got mad. SS is probably the most physically abusive we've ever seen their relationship get (most of the time he just pulls a gun on her or something) and she had less agency than she ever did in BTAS (she followed his orders like a puppy, instead of snarking)

I genuinely do think it's better than other cape movies this year barring
Deadpool. BvS is completely unwatchable and Civil War was just boring.

>comparing Suicide Squad to Daredevil is too favorable for Suicide Squad
Completely disagree. Even with the editing the good scenes are definitely there, and there's enough good ideas to put it above assembly line trash like Daredevil and Catwoman.

With Suicide Squad people can clearly identify the things that they liked about it, while with DD, Catwoman, or Fant4stic there's just nothing appealing there at all.

Does anyone remember what exactly the Joker said to Harley to convince her to jump in the chemicals? After he said "would you live for me?" i completely lost track of the dialogue for some reason

>i hate how for example Katana comes out of nowhere and at the end of the movie disappears back into that nowhere
She is a minor character with essentially no spoken lines, they can't spend time building her up because it would be a waste.

I have a feeling that Enchantress plot sounded really cool in board room discussions, but as it was stripped down it just became silly. "Man now worships machines and so I will use them to destroy them" could have worked with way more depth, but this movie was not going for depth.

>Joker
I really liked it and funny enough the growling was my favourite bit from him. Made him seem a little unhinged and menacing.

>Mad Love
We may get that in the future. It's an arc that allows Harley to show up in a Batman movie.

> Boomer throws, what, 3 boomerangs
I wanted way more boomerangs. I went to WB studios and looked through the sets and costumes, the character has a bunch of trick boomerangs and we saw none of them.

>Overall
I think the target audience for this film is teenagers, it's cut up to hit that PG-13 rating and released during school holidays. People seem unable to differentiate "this is a bad movie" and "this movie isn't for me".

it was entertaining at some points but the third act was boring.

lol no we dont, Sup Forums hasnt been good in years

Joker asks Harley if she would die for him. She says yes. He says thats not enough. Then he asks "Would you live for me?" and he pushes her into the vat.

>it was entertaining at some points but the third act was boring.

What is every superhero movie ever

The Diablo/Incubus fight was good imo. The rest was ehhh.

At least the third act had some sort of structure compared to the first act. The first act was a complete mess.

Leto was great as the Joker.

Raimi Spider-Man 1 & 2 have good final acts.

But other than that, yeah you're not wrong.

I think he would benefit greatly by being the featured antagonist in a Batman movie, he was good but he didn't really get a chance to leave any real impression due to being cut out of most of the film.

You do realize he strapped her to an exploding rocket in the comics, expecting it to kill her, right? And other instances.

Stop cherrypicking.

Let's be honest.

>SS managed to be a better 2016 Ghostbusters film than an actual 2016 Ghostbusters
>Jared Leto's Joker is literally "what if Hot Topic made the Joker"

To be fair he did so because he started developing feels for her and didn't like it, so he tried to kill her

If Batman v Superman made me feel like a genius among plebs

Suicide Squad made me hate Warner Bros and question why to even be a DC fan

The rushed script is just trash

>why would Joker work so much to get back Harley only to try kill her like that?

You know the answer. You can never adapt the abusive relationship between Joker & Harley without pissing off your sensitive shits that'll just rate your movie bad for villains being villains.

Better it be done as a grand reveal in a Batman solo or HQ movie that Joker was really just a toxic abusive asshole. I'd rather she just gave up the Joker up than just switch from one boyfriend after the next. She's not Black Widow.

>"That time when Joker rescued you in the midst of government lackeys & otherworldly beings bent on bringing ruin to our world? Yeah, he only wanted you because of your unrivaled knowledge of Arkham Asylum's layout & logistics. All of to orchestrate this trap for me. No hurt feelings?"

>Jared Leto's Joker is literally "what if Hot Topic made the Joker"
No, it's "what if we made a Joker marketed towards teenagers"

It's a movie for stupid people.

>You know the answer. You can never adapt the abusive relationship between Joker & Harley without pissing off your sensitive shits that'll just rate your movie bad for villains being villains.

That... doesn't answer anything. I asked why would they try make Joker murder Harley during a chopper crash where they're both about to die and you answer me with a deluded theory about why they DIDN'T try make Joker murder Harley

>when they jumped on the chopper i was expecting Joker to sacrifice himself to save her, because that's what i was told, but they were about to jump together! Harley just fell first by mistake because shit was exploding, Joker didn't plan to save her alone,
How did you make that out? It was cut so rapidly, I couldn't make out shit!

Joker says "this bird is about to go down" so he holds Harley's hands and says "this is our moment darling" or something along that line as they're approaching a roof. Another explosion makes the chopper tremble so Harley falls on the roof while Joker falls back into the chopper. As they're separated Joker's hand is still reaching to try hold Harley and then a closeup shows him angrily growling

I may be wrong, but nothing in that scene suggested me Joker wanted Harley to die

Too little screentime. And besides, i know joker is a famous character but the people who don't know about him are not going to understand jackshit all those scenes.

It was still insanely edited in a bad way. Hell, the entire last half of that movie was edited way too rapidly.

I won't disagree. I guess i paid particular attention during that scene because i was really curious about how it would play out, considering it was the moment most people would point to as an example of how they supposedly messed up Harley and Joker's relationship

Again, he tried and failed to kill her. He didn't hurt her, he didn't hit her. He tried to kill her in a cartoony way.

No its "what if Joker was a gangster in 2016"

You're thinking of Civil War.

when watermelon miziyaki forces all trip posts to appear on /trash/ instead of the board you tried them on, what will you do for attention?

Tripfags deserve to be killed.

>its okay for him to actively try to murder someone as long as he actually doesnt

he was trying to kill her
he was trying his hardest to make her life end
the only reason he didnt is because he failed to do so