Is losing the Oscar for Man on the Moon what turned Jim Carrey crazy?

Is losing the Oscar for Man on the Moon what turned Jim Carrey crazy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TdPu6sQ9l4g
youtu.be/ufQ4OqI30e8
youtube.com/watch?v=xPdjcSHZb4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

he is notoriously hungry for an oscar, which is made obvious when you look at his choice of dramatic roles. you don't do something like The Majestic without wanting an oscar.

more likely he just got old and depressed. ex-wife, autistic kids, zero privacy, deaths of loved ones, everybody you've interacted with for the past 25 years has had some ulterior motive or wanted something from you, your metabolism's slowing down, you're tired and visibly aging, the laughs don't come like they used to, you're sick of having to always be 'on' anyway, you can't run, there's nowhere to go.

Only slightly on topic, but I remember when Carrey was Conan's guest, back in the day when he was promoting the movie. And Carrey told Conan, how he's into beat poetry, "just like Andy". And for some reason Conan thought Carrey was referring to Conan's sidekick, Andy Richter, and not Andy Kauffman.

That was awkward.

>THIS JUST BECAME A "WHEN I STOPPED LOVING JIM CARREY" THREAD

I'd say, it was Ace Ventura 2. You could tell he was going thru the motions, in it for the paycheck.

You'd say, we'll yeah, he did that alot. BUT that was the first time he got a taste of phoning it in.

For actors, once you know you can skate... it becomes the norm, not the exception.

It's true, he never reached the same height of Ace Ventura, The Mask and Dumb & Dumber all in the same year.

But if he only made Dumb & Dumber it would be enough, that is one of the funniest movies of all time.

That sounds like it would have been funny

I think backlash from The Cable Guy waa too much for him and his manager and probably every other industry person around him.
I actually liked (except fuckin Ferris). Best $4.00 I ever spent.

backlash for what?

yeah and it's that rare classic funny that ages well like groundhog day

Everyone hated it

The Cable Guy was great. I don't see why it had such a mixed reception.
youtu.be/TdPu6sQ9l4g

thats weird, its at least a decent comedy.

Ben Stiller's comedic style doesn't work for everyone.

Oh the poor millionaire all alone in his big mansion

>take your kid to go see the mask/dumb and dumber guy
>a bit raunchy but mostly goofy comedy
>get some crazy psycho guy who is obsessed with some other guy and its nothing like you expected
>backlash

when youre the #1 movie guy its because families are going to see you, like capeshit, its parents taking their kids and autist nurses taking their autist groups

so when you dont give the kids and autists something thats child friendly they freak out

Even still, it's at least enjoyable for its darker elements.
youtu.be/ufQ4OqI30e8

>one of his TWO good movies
>TT the other

that makes sense, but that isnt really criticizing the movie itself and thats also the marketings fault

Hey, Zoolander was good, too.

It's a comedy that isn't funny. It has Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey for 90 minutes without ever being funny, which obviously is very annoying. The only funny thing about it is how the audience got duped into seeing the new Jim Carrey movie and then they got The Cable Guy. I don't even hate it, it's just not funny.

The Oscar is just a stupid statue. Half the people that earned it are significantly less famous than him.

oh yeahhhhh. Forgot about that one.
>3 good movies. Minus Luke Wilson.
>can see why the fucked up nose

>that part where they're jousting and Matthew Broderick's character just randomly starts talking like Captain Kirk

this is the problem I have with Wes Anderson but I've always really liked the cable guy. Very fun movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=xPdjcSHZb4A

Anyone who has actually watched Andy Kaufman knows Carrey is a caricature of him. I dont think he captured the essence of Andy.