‘KUBO’ FLOPS AT BOX OFFICE, SOARS WITH CRITICS

Why you did nothing Sup Forums?

>Kubo and the Two Strings was off to a good start when the reviews began to pour in. The stop motion feature achieved a solid 96% on Rotten Tomatoes, becoming one of the best reviews animated films on the site, and beating out all the other films from the studio so far. It achieved a rating of “universal acclaim” on MetaCritic, and just below a 9/10 IMDB score. People had a lot of good things to say. The box office numbers, however, weren’t as stellar.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8hUOKjy-9-o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>‘Kubo’ had the worst opening of any Laika film so far, pulling a little over 12 million over the weekend. It came in fourth place, with DC movie Suicide Squad getting its third week at first place. Seth Rogen’s R-rated animated venture, Sausage Party, made 15 million over the weekend in its second week, hopping two spots ahead of Kubo.

>‘Kubo’ tells the story of a young Japanese boy at odds with his grandfather, the unfeeling Moon King, and trying to learn about his warrior father, Hanzo. The film pushed the studio. Among their efforts included simulating a woman dragging herself in the sand, and building a nearly 20-foot-tall stop motion puppet for just one scene.

>But, Laika’s not exactly in this for the money. None of the studio’s releases have been major animated blockbusters in the way that Disney and Dreamworks have. The studio has yet to win a Best Animated Feature oscar–something that there has been buzz about since Kubo’s release. But, in a summer noted for its underperforming films from all genres and studios, Kubo’s numbers aren’t entirely surprising.

>What remains, however, is a film that has been referred to by many as a masterpiece

B-but sales = quality!

Fuck you Rogan!

>Why you did nothing Sup Forums?

I was busy all weekend. I'll be seeing Kubo tomorrow.

Because Laika could give everyone that went to see it 20 dollars and the company would still be making movies.

I seen it 2ce and brought at least 2 different people with me.

Doing my best here.

>DC movie Suicide Squad getting its third week at first place
I thought it got dethroned by Rogan

To be honest, if Laika was suceful other studios would try to copy them.

I heard tgat they are thinking on investing in 2d animation.

I bought a pair of Nikes and jacked off to r34 of Kubo. When I want to see this movie I'll just get it on ITUNES or something

No interest. Looked good but not good enough to make me deal with a bunch of kids in the theater.

How was the marketing?

I'm afraid this movie is too good to bother with that populist crap.

Investments require some kind of expectation of returns, they are planning on spending money on 2D

Not many kids seem to be seeing this or at least not enough to make it get some cash.

I'm a working adult and so are the people I'm planning to see it with so we needed to wait for an opening in all of our schedules instead of just dropping everything to see a fucking movie on its opening weekend.

It was everywhere for the past two weeks, not everyone is a millennial with ad block and no TV

Reminder to buy Nike shoes to support your local animation studio!

What is a working adult doing in Sup Forums?

>not using Adblock
Enjoy your viruses.

>people would rather watch dude weed lmao sex jokes

I honestly thought it was fine. I started seeing trailers for it like a year ago. I been waiting to see it since.

I don't know about lately though but it's been slowly advertised for a long time now.

only on the friday it came out

fug, i brought three friends to see it

might consider rewatching it with my lil sis if the slump continues, nike execs be damned

What does Nike have to do with Kubo? I'm not up to date with the subject matter.

but they're made by starving asian children!

Saw it last night, This is one of the most beautiful animated films I have seen in a long time.

it's a solid 9/10 with one point deducted because the last 15 minutes was kinda silly with kubo pulling out a I'm just gonna knock the godhood out of you with my...Shamisan?

besides that it was near perfect

This isn't the type of movie that will do well at the box office. It will probably do great with DVD/Blu-ray sales and on streaming services and its rep as being a masterpiece will allow it to be in the minds of artists and future artists when they study animated films.

The entire studio is a petite project made by the son of the owner. They don't care very much for return, they do mainly for the art, because the guy loves stop motion.

>Seth Rogen’s R-rated animated venture, Sausage Party, made 15 million over the weekend in its second week, hopping two spots ahead of Kubo.

Laika is owned by the son of the owner of Nike, and is funded by him. His dad has been funding his artistic goals for a long time, including a rap album in the 90s.

So that's why they can afford losing money, huh? OK, I will pirate this. Thanks.

I mean if you like it you should still give them some money.

and this is why we cant have nice things!

Adblock is probably older than some millennials.

Will I look weird if I go alone and sit alone in the cinema?

>I heard tgat they are thinking on investing in 2d animation.

Can it happen guys? Can Laika produce the western Akira? T-they have the means...

>Rooney Mara as The Sisters
there's your problem

I don't know, man, I had a problem with Kubo just immediately being at whatever destination he needed to be in what felt like no time at all
I get he had a guide in that little origami dude, but for the world just didn't feel as expansive as I think the movie tried to make it out to be
I thought the third act was beautiful, though, I feel like Laika excels at third acts in their movies

i'm all for variety

>please feed my favorite corporation!

No. More room for you to enjoy it

>why people don't make the stuff that I want for free!!!!

>not giving actually great feature animation less an hour or two of minimum wage
>not seeing every Lakai film in a theater with the huge screen and massive soundsystem experience
Enjoy the camrip on your iPhone though, I bet it's basically the same experience.

>only been out one weekend
>flop

Give people some time to see it.

But they do, user.

>shilling
>for free

Yeah bro, fuck corporations! Capitalist pigs!

-Posted from my iPad

You could have supported this and ushered in a new era of great, mature animation.

Instead you decided to fund the dudeweedlmao Rogen shit, thinking that would somehow save the industry.

You brought this on yourselves.

I'm really only mildly interested in seeing it.

>being 50 years old

Get with the times, grandpa

It's how the industry works, don't you know?

>Critics hate it
>Audience will flock to it
>Critics love it
>Makes negative money

Good does not correlate success, which is why Laika always has to walk away with the knowledge that they're one of the most skilled animation studios in the world and nobody likes them for it.

>He posts from his computer of preferred brand, surrounded by merchandise of his favorite franchises.

>shilling
Fuck off back to Sup Forums

>‘Kubo’ tells the story of a young Japanese boy

Is it supposed to be a boy? I've seen the trailer and I could have sworn it was supposed to be a girl.

Also, I just went to check the cast on Wikipedia, and the descriptions there completely spoil the movie, so now I don't need to see it.

B-but I saw it at the first showing on Thursday...

I even brought family...

I dont go to theatre releases lmao, that shits for chumps.

>iPad
Oh you tool.

It's almost like whether or not critics like a movie doesn't ever actually matter in a movie's success. It only matters if moviegoers are interested enough to go see the movie and if word of mouth gets more interested to see it.

>projecting

-Posted from iPad

You and me both user

I support what I like with my money whenever I can. What's your excuse? NEET status?

>the hobo gives money to a millionaire
Good dog.

-Posted from iPad

The visuals are mind blowing, the plot is only a tiny fraction of a reason to enjoy this movie

Credits song was top fucking tier though
youtube.com/watch?v=8hUOKjy-9-o

>a bot defending corporations
Obviously.

It really doesn't matter. Unless you have somehow managed to obtain internet access without paying an ISP every month, and also have the ability to post on Sup Forums without a computer of some kind, you have given hundreds of dollars to even the most massive corporations who do not use their revenue to create art or even entertainment, and are only interested in bleeding you for all it's worth.

-Posted from iPad, yet again

>I love it when corporations make my anus bleed
...OK.

I want to see it but I want to see it with a friend.

And yet Illumination Entertainment continues to strive with their executive driven bullshit

I can't do anything, it's not in my country yet.

How dare people pay for entertainment they enjoy!

Keep your shirt on, I'm about to see it with a friend this afternoon.

>I deny that I am a corporate slut while posting from my iPad
...OK.

This is why I'm against letting homeless people into libraries to shitpost on Sup Forums.

Harry Partridge already made it
Seriously though why would you even want that?

Exactly. Like when Hollywood says that foreing box office is not important; why giving money to them if they're not interested in it?

>I am a corporate slut while posting from my iPad
I know.

I need to go see it. Got to wait till a weekday night. So no single guy going into a theater full of children.

>theater full

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

He means the west's equivalent of Akira. Something just as impactful on the industry

They can afford to lose money but they don't deserve to.

Of all the rich faggots who waste their money on shit, this one rich faggot is wasting his money on enriching animation as a whole.

Don't you have a Reddit thread to attend to, edgelord? Nobody thinks you're deep nor smart. You're just copying whatever the dumbass before you said. Just shut up and enjoy the ride.

You can go at the earliest showing or latest for no kids to show up.

That's great you've come to terms with your status as a corporate whore.

>Kino loses to capeshit and DUDEWEEDLMAO

How is this surprising to anyone?

Oh. That was already Toy Story wasn't it? Unless we're talking specifically adult animation
But yeah Laika needs to get into traditional animation, nobody else is going to pick up the torch and they have the love of the art form and the disposable cash to make it happen.

haha what a loser, right guys? p-probably the biggest bomb of the weekend

now if you'll excuse me I'll just quietly be on my way

Because I have to share a thread with you

>Also, I just went to check the cast on Wikipedia, and the descriptions there completely spoil the movie, so now I don't need to see it.
>watching films just for the plot

It's a visual medium, user, sometimes the visual element is the substance.

Why would people trust RT after they gave Patriarchybusters a great rating?

This. Even if you know the plot you'll never find out how they play it out unless you watch the film.

That's not how RT works, and I'm honestly surprised a person as retarded as yourself knows enough words to form a semi-coherent sentence, nevermind access the internet.

Saw it on Saturday by myself.

Dragging 1-2 more people to see it again next Saturday.

It's not too late for good word of mouth to save this movie.

Why aren't kids seeing it, Sup Forums?

>tfw most of Sup Forums complains all the time about the mindlessness and lack of effort in current animated films
>tfw they don't even want to support a studio who works hard, vows to never make sequels, and always wants to try new things as well as making animated films that are more mature

Because they are going back to school

The boys voice makes it pretty clear Kubo is a boy.

Also the movie was great. You should still go see it.

Since they don't have any need for money, anyone wanna see Laika try a pg-13 animated film?