We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches...

>We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Holy fuck, Lads. I damn near cried in the theatre

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AHY2UzOonig
youtu.be/AnpTWKKWQ1o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i wish i was simple-minded enough to be moved to tears by such crude propaganda
jelly af tbqhwyf

And then they ran away like the cowards they were.

This was better
youtube.com/watch?v=AHY2UzOonig

I think this definitely cements Nolan is one of the best writers in Hollywood today

>We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
But only after nazis kill enough slavs to get short on steel and oil

Stay mad
Very good too

>We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be

Well, what else are the going to do? Let their country just get invaded by foreigners?

>enemy literally spares you
>WE WILL FIGHT THEM HERE AND THERE AND EVERYWHERE

Just came back from a 2nd viewing in 70mm.
I was sitting at a better place and could see the image pop in and out of black lines on top and bottom. It wasn't like Dark Knight when it was "now we will see this heist in huge format, and then we ll go back to regular 16:9".

Please tell me this won't have a cinematography nomination.. There is no way..

>[sinks your destroyer]
>we're sparing you

It's literally going to win best cinematography you pleb

>We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

you enjoyed the back and forth of different formats and image textures?
I guess they are selling it as a semi-doc fiction so they can wing it this way.

>you enjoyed the back and forth of different formats
Yes, just like most people enjoyed it in TDK and Interstellar. It served the narrative well.

>back and forth of image textures
Now you are just spewing bullshit, it's not like he switches from film to digital.

how is working in a country and paying taxes to it "invading it"?

That would be a fault in editing if the change of formats is jarring, not cinematography you braindead autist. And it's not jarring at all, Lee Smith will get a nomination for film editing also, screencap if you want.

>how is forcing stores to cater to your retarded religious food/alcohol rules, forcing everyone within earshot to listen to your miserable calls to prayer, and occasionally tossing acid on people, cutting their heads off or running them over with vans considered a bad thing

this movie is stupid overrated. i'm not surprised, a lot of critics can be won over by sheer spectacle. honestly, the movie to which i feel it compares most in recent years is fairly unexpected - mad max fury road. baffling on a technical level, and I have no clue how they possibly made these movies. it is undeniably an impressive feat. however, the scripts for both movies are so dreadful that it's impossible to ignore.
meh, this movie was whatever. looked pretty spectacular at times but I'll never see it again.

How did Vietnam go for you again?

>he couldn't see the darker and grainier regular 35mm texture.
>who chooses formats

>tips fedora

>won every single military engagement

pretty good i guess

You really think there is a "darker grainer" difference? You really think you saw a difference in light better than the color grader who does that for a living? Even if there was any difference it was neutralized in the color grading process. You really think anyone would allow a visual difference like that in a 150 million dollar film?
Fuck off.

Keep deluding yourself

youtu.be/AnpTWKKWQ1o

i cry everytim

why was it pg-13?

were you looking at the screen or your phone? did you even see the movie?

money

Because it almost isn't even a war film. It's a suspensful thriller about transporting a fuckload of people from point A to point B under heavy danger, it plays more in the psychological fears like claustrophobia and drowning than the physical fear of gore and spilled guts.
It isn't trying to be anything like Saving Private Ryan.

*frags you and goes AWOL*
psshh nuthin personnel sarge

Saw it in London, BFI 70mm IMAX. There is no difference in "texture", just like there isn't any difference in the texture of any of the other Nolan films where he changes formats.
Feel free to post example from his previous films where you think you can see that difference in detailed screencaps then, you absolute braindead turboautist.

Working and paying taxes? Non white immigration cost the UK £120 billion in recent years, and that's not taking into account all the ways in which it has impacted our society. Europe is fucked unless we get another Hitler, nothing else matters as we're being replaced.

This. I felt physically Ill when the soldiers were crushed against the docks by the boat and also when that one soldier tried holding his breath until he had to surface and started burning to death

are you guys for real? you need to stop giving nolan so much damn credit, we all know why the movie is PG13 and it has nothing to do with artistic vision.

Moving the focus from blood and gore entirely was the best thing Nolan could've done.

>fill the bullet-holes with your brainmatter you useless scottish haggisniggers

WEW

but the move away from graphic imagery was necessitated by a PG13 rating pushed by studio higher ups for financial purposes. the movie is not rated PG13 because thats what Nolan wanted or whatever you guys are implying.

Prove it

>fragging a useful NCO and not the piece of shit officer that put you there in the first place
You can't even commit treason correctly.

you can't prove it was nolan's intention all along either. we're having a discussion. you're just being naive as fuck.

The constant shifting between several timelines is jarring as fuck, and it didn't even seem to be necessary for the most part.

Are you an actual faggot or have you just not seen that many movies where people die in gruesome ways?

Nolan cocksuckers really are the worst people on this board right next to the capeshitposters

I don't know why people keep creating threads about how they cried in this movie. It seems like some ironic nonsense which is annoying because I think I'll actually like it.

>read speech in Robin's voice.
Couldn't help it.

When will England fight with us against the darkness covering the earth?

All Nolan films so far have been PG-13, so is Dunkirk. I heavily doubt Nolan wanted to include a scene of some brit soldier looking for his arm/leg, because as I've said he doesn't want to make a yet another Saving Private Ryan/Hacksaw Ridge.
What I'm trying to say is that the Dunkirk we have is the Dunkirk Nolan imagined though I agree that some of those bodies after the first bombing could use a dismemberment or two/spoiler]

Stay mad
I'm not being ironic. I did actually nearly cry during a certain scene at the end and only stifled it because people were next to me

The air narrative takes place in one hour, the sea narrative in one day and the land narrative in one week, how else would you do it? A linear representation of that whole week?
Then you would have Tom Hardy sitting in an airbase somewhere sipping tea and wanking off to pictures of dear old Marge, and Dunkirk wasn't about that fake empathy/sentimentality, it was about being thrown into the event itself.

>and then we shall let in millions of muslims that will rape our country while losing all our colonies
Really fires up my neurons.

Yes, the film industry in general has desensitisized their audience to violence and you can see literal end of the world scenarios or thousands of bullets flying everywhere and not feel a thing.
And I thought I was desensitisized to the usual Hollywood shooting and killing with thousands of weightless bullets flying left and right, while in Dunkirk a single bullet felt like an actual threat for everyone's life, on and off-screen.
The opening shot alone gave me PTSD, from the city shootout to that first Stuka beach dive bombing while I can watch a whole city crumble in a whatever Michael Bay film and not feel a damn thing.

Execution is the key here.

>the Dunkirk we have is the Dunkirk Nolan imagined
fair enough, he probably knew what the studio expected of him in terms of graphic content. he's still operating in a flawed system though. directors of superhero movies generally understand that they can't be rated R so they imagine a PG13 movie but ultimately when any given film's ability to show adult content is made that predictable, it's a bad thing imo, there's less potential to really shock your audience with something truly unexpected.
whatever, I didn't like this movie but it seems to be doing a great job of making money so i hope nolan and co. are laughing all the way to the bank.

>how else would you do it?
>would have Tom Hardy sitting in an airbase somewhere sipping tea and wanking off to pictures of dear old Marge
Don't be obtuse. You don't have to show Tom Hardy's perspective at all until he's actually in the plane. A linear timeline would just have him showing up near the end of the movie, but I'm not saying it has to be completely linear, just tone that shit down a bit. They were jumping between timelines like crazy by the midpoint.
>It's night
>It's day
>It's night again
>now it's the daytime, fuck you

Define winning.

So if the secret Frenchie couldn't speak english and was trying to stay undercover, why did he hang around the same people for an entire week, who would grow more and more curious as to why he never said a single word the entire time?

Where else is he going to go?

The good ol' reddit response. Haven't seen that one before.

Okay, so it's obvious that you're the kind of guy who thinks buzzwords and memes like 'weightless' are actual critiques, but I would really like to hear why this is any different from typical action shlock.

Frankly I'm just not seeing anything in the execution that leaves some sort of profound mark. The city shootout had nothing to it, just a kid running through some streets away from nameless shooters. The rest of the movie borrowed from tired cliches like the son who wants to prove himself or the repetitive air battles and barely bothered to add anything new to them. Far as I see it the only thing this movie does with any sense of creativity is the use of water as a threat and the excellent sound mixing, but otherwise it's, well, as you say, a Michael Bay blockbuster.

how else would harry styles' fans swarm to the film in groups?

The wrong side won.

Who?

>The city shootout had nothing to it, just a kid running through some streets away from nameless shooters.
It's a reflection of the whole film.
>the soldier becomes aware of his doom
>he is attacked and he struggles to escape as his mates perish
>he encounters his own allies as they attempt to hold off the enemy
>he does finally escape (to the beach), where he joins a stranger in mourning and finds their shared experience gives rise to a deep bond.

And it set's the tone and the narrative right away, you know what he is doing and why, you are given historical context with the french and all that without a single line of dialogue. I thought it was a pretty good opening.

>there are people on this board right now that didn't enjoy Dunkirk
Just let that sink in before you take something here seriously.

Well everyone doesn't have to enjoy it you autist, but to call it a bad movie just because someone finds it "le boring" is quite stupid.