What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QYi3BiXOA1I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Memes

Not enough action for Dipper

>condescending, "my show is special and mysterious" attitude
>then gives us shit like Roadside Attraction and stealing OC from /gfg/ while arguing with 12-year-olds online
>belittles and/or blocks people on Twitter for voicing the slightest disagreement
>likely has a severe alcohol problem
>/gfg/ and Tumblr have turned on him
>everybody by now knows how the show will end
>dumped an ill manzi via text and went clubbing the same night
>gets repeatedly cucked by Disney S&P and whines even though he was still allowed way more leeway than any cartoon in Disney history
>drove the Brothers Chaps away
>then drove one fellow staff member into a Roberto from Futurama stabbing rage
>and then drove another cast member to break her own neck in a futile attempt to escape her contract
>has driven 3 different girlfriends to psychosis/seclusion
>speaking of driving, his alcohol problem fucked him over so he doesnt even have a license or a car and therefore gets made fun of by various Disney crew members
>created a popular character and killed her off based on pure malice against his old GF
>mocks people for shipping 12 year olds when literally 1/3rd of the episodes revolve around 12 year old romance
>claims to be a champion of modern left-wing values, when all his female characters are sex-craved idiots, bitches, and/or non-characters
>his show will be a one-hit wonder
>and he'll be dead of a stroke before he reaches 35
JUSTIN ROILAND YOUR SHITTY TIME TRAVEL PLOT RUINED MY LIFE WORK!!!

Mabel was a piece of shit that went unpunished and praised for all the horrific bullshit she did to Dipper.

Dipper went from a refreshingly boyish character to a full cuck and a doormat. He underwent an involution and was less of a person at the end than at the beginning of the show.

Ford added nothing and wasn't written well.

All the hype and implied grandness of the villain and his plans was total bullshit and amounted to nothing in the end. There was no payoff.

pretty much this

Alex Hirsch got bored with it and didn't want to work on it anymore.

Great setup, lousy punch line. Should have been left open ended instead of Weirdmaggedon.

And yeah, Mabel never grows. She should have been using the journals to look for unicorns or other cryptids so she would have been part of the mystery. She should have been nicer to her brother too.

Also they didn't show Dipper naked. That stinks.

>>then drove one fellow staff member into a Roberto from Futurama stabbing rage
What

is it really true one of the storyboarders fucking stabbed alex over a change he made to his work

why does no one ever talk about this

>Also they didn't show Dipper naked. That stinks.

What is wrong with you?

The Jews

>likely has a severe alcohol problem
That's new.

>dumped an ill manzi via text and went clubbing the same night
I thought she dumped him.

>guest character design artist said "Sock Opera is my favorite episode in the second season" when Sock Opera came out
>heh... but that would imply no episode after that is any better...
>they weren't and the show really did peak at Sock Opera
He didn't properly value having Neil Goddamn Cicierega at his creative disposal and didn't balance the comedy with the drama. Also

>mocks people for shipping 12 year olds when literally 1/3rd of the episodes revolve around 12 year old romance
jokes on him. What is Wendy? What is Pacifica? What is Candy? Huh?

Based kazibro dropping the thermonuclear truthbombs

>development of certain characters (Soos, Pacifica, the Grunkle twins) was on a treadmill, and some characters like Wendy didnt get developed at all
>finale seemed to be building up to something bigger with dimensions and ayy lmaos but nope its just le meme nacho doing stupid shit again because he became Alex's fursona
>JUSTin Roiland and his shitty time travel idea zapped away the relative down to Earth atmosphere of the show by inserting an absurdist Reddit and Meme tier plot about an apocalyptic future
>Mabel and to a lesser extent Stan suffered serious character derailment especially in the last four episodes
>Alex kept teasing ships but was piss poor at it and too limp wristed to pull the trigger on anything significant besides the gay cops because he wanted to shoe-horn in a political message
>status quo reached FOP/Adventure Time levels especially when that memory wiping gun was introduced, the most egregious examples being the mayor being replaced by a non-signiciant character or Stan being turned into a veggie for 5 minutes.
>The Loud House came along and stole its thunder, in terms of fandom content creation it sucked its soul out like a dementor and it HOIT
>Alex is now working on a vaporware Fox cartoon and a shitty Pokemon live action movie (which will be his own personal Drake Bell Fairly Odd Movie)

>what went wrong?
No one has ever fucking died

Who?

>created a popular character and killed her off based on pure malice against his old GF
Fuck

>down to Earth atmosphere

In the show that had a bunch of gnomes form into a giant gnome monster so they could marry a preteen? For its first episode?

I still love the show, but the show has it's problems.

Still mad they made Gideon a good guy, he was a great villain. Better than Bill.

"Oh hi Wendy, have we been formally introduced" is still one of the best lines in the series

He dumped her apparently.

As with anything good, it ran out of fuel and eventually became shit.

Is any of this true?

Any hope for coherent storyline evaporated. I feel that humour got worse as well, but that's subjective.

Character arcs gone wrong for everyone. Inexplicable authorial favoritism of Mabel and Stan over Dipper and Ford is pissing me off.

I think he posted these on twitter a while back.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who's parents put him through school
and he never learned to stop being a kid.

Anyone older or higher ranking at disney counted as 'an adult'
and he never understood how to stand up for himself.

This led to a lot of procrastination, resulting in burn-out from all the rush-jobs.

Hack

roadside attraction

Second half of Season 2.

Rest of it was great.

>>and then drove another cast member to break her own neck in a futile attempt to escape her contract

I'm calling BS on that one. Everything else is somewhat plausible except this one.

>Alex is now working on a vaporware Fox cartoon and a shitty Pokemon live action movie (which will be his own personal Drake Bell Fairly Odd Movie)

I don't know what you mean by vaporwave fox cartoon but the Pokemon movie is just the English dub of the abortion known as Detective Pikachu.

It'll probably end up like a shitty combination of Ted and the Drake Bell FOP movie.

The ending
Grunkle Stan didn't die
etc

I generally dislike the word "cuck" but I have to agree with pretty much everything you wrote here.

>All the hype and implied grandness of the villain and his plans was total bullshit and amounted to nothing in the end. There was no payoff.
Bill entire 'plan' was to throw a bitchin' party, why couldn't he do that in his dimension.

I do get the impression Hirsch is severely depressed or has battled depression many times over his life.

Yeah, he just has an air about him of naivety as well as being egotistical/super self important.

Remember that "dragging your feet" feeling when your parents asked you to do something? You knew you had to do it eventually, but put it off?

I think Alex took that attitude with him to work. Procrastination often occurs in people who think they have to do things perfectly.

Another thread mentioned that since he initially wanted to quit after season 1, most of the staff had moved on to other projects by the time he came around to signing on for season 2.

>The Loud House came along and stole its thunder, in terms of fandom content

Gravity Falls was already done three months before Duh Laob Haous premiered.

Why do you fuckers shit up threads with this crap when you barely even know anything about the show you're talking about. Is Loud House posting the hip new bait? Cause it's working.

They're just shitposting absolute ludicrous nonsense

Remember when people liked Hirsch?

>The Loud House came along and stole its thunder, in terms of fandom content creation

You mean just like a dozen of the pedo/incestfag artists who jump from pedobait to pedobait jumped to TLH after GF was already over.

Even though the show ended on pixiv, tumblr, Deviantart, blah blah there's still fifty times as much GF fan art coming out as TLH overall. TLH hasn't drawn much of an adult base besides Sup Forums while GF was a genuine cult hit.

Remember when the cosplayer he was dating would come shitpost with us?

Honestly, Sock Opera & Not What He Seems were the peak. We hoped for deeper lore, but it was just downhill to 'big evil cartoon villain' after that.

>they never did anything with the obvious UFO hint

J U S T . . .

>Character revealed to be lost in dimensional portal surrounded by star symbols
>main character has star map printed on his forhead since birth
...and... it's fucking nothing. Seriously, no ayylmao star charts hidden in Dipper's brain or anything? For fucks sake.

We never even see where he has been.

Honestly, Dipper's ghostbusting episode with Pacifica was the show's highlight.

Fuck Mable.

GF general threads existed?

It's like the aliens from Hellboy.
They exist, here's a dead one, their tech is important against the big villain but ultimately doesn't help, let's move on.

God it's true, I agreed with that tweet at the time but it was pretty hypocritical (even if it was more about caring so much about who they'll END UP with, but still).

In hindsight now that the show is long over, I wish he included an episode that actually HAD that moral. That neither of the twns should be so bogged down over romance because there's so much fun they could be having not caring about it.

And then in the last episode they had the Dipper/Wendy hat swap I was like "what does this mean ... ?" I didn't care for any ships at all by that point so all I thought was "please don't go there."

>>created a popular character and killed her off based on pure malice against his old GF
Alright, I'm not getting this one. Is this Giffany?

Do any of you pussies actually have the guts to shitpost at Alex on Twitter? Even if he puts you on ignore that just means he's seen you.

I'd fucking split my face grinning if I ever got the opportunity to tell him Mabel is shit to his Jew face.

Do you know that EVERY SINGLE TIME it blew on their faces and was treated as foolish?

People here are so fucking autistic.

>its that guy again.

But NWM was the peak.

>Huuur shipper

It has nothing to do with Pacifica, the villain and the mistery were great.

This. I don't mind villains turning good and redeeming themselves, but it has to be done convincingly for the story and the character. When it happened to Gideon I couldn't believe it - all he needed was a heartfelt speech from Dipper during the apocalypse? No way.

Gideon was a great villain, fun to watch (thanks to Thurop Van Orman, especially), petty and a legitimate threat when he wanted to be.

Bill was enjoyable in his debut, but wore thin when I realised Hirsch voiced him (it was impossible for me to ignore how many characters he voiced), and his unpredictability/powerlevel became predictable. It felt like he could be anything the writing required, if that makes sense. His "turns red" form in the finale was admittedly pretty cool, though.

I'm impressed with how quickly you had this giant batch of misinformation ready

do you have like, a personal thing with alex

she was a disposable MOTW anyway.

and she still survived. Shes elecbangng Rumble Mcskirmish.

>In hindsight now that the show is long over, I wish he included an episode that actually HAD that moral. That neither of the twns should be so bogged down over romance because there's so much fun they could be having not caring about it.

Sumerween.

That nigga makes a thread to shitpost him every week, because he was blocked on twitter. I still wonder when he will move on.

The humour DEFINITELY got worse. It was pretty charming early on in s1, but for the middle/second half of season 2 I wasn't even cracking a smile. So many jokes about "lol just mentioning the word anime," "lol 80s aesthetic," "lol Soos is a dumb manchild" (he was great when he was a bit smarter, what the fuck happened there), and let's not forget "lol we know about our fans so let's mention things like fanfiction and headcanons and practically look aside to the audience whenever something with the potential to be tense happens" (I'm looking at you, finale scene where Bill was choosing between Dipper or Mabel). It was incredibly dull and predictable. You could see the setup for a "joke" coming a mile away.

found the autistic lorefag

I only saw that episode once when it aired, I don't even remember there being any romance (unless it was implied with Dipper not wanting to wear his matching costume?).

Even so, if that was the moral, then holy fuck did they forget it for the rest of the entire show. That would be even more annoying.

>I don't even remember there being any romance

Dipper wanted to go to a party for teenagers to try a vain attempt to get closer to Wendy, instead of enjoying time with his family on one of their last holidays together as kids.

>Even so, if that was the moral, then holy fuck did they forget it for the rest of the entire show. That would be even more annoying.

I think that it is more of a problem with the tipical Sup Forums/tumblr pĂ´ster, people here WANT ships to happen, and project a lot and get angry when it don't happen. People here were desiluded to believe that Wendy would end up with Dipper as it was, when it was pretty obvious that would never happen since day 1, for fucks sake.

The show always treated Dipper attempt to get with Wendy as useless, and Mabel attempts to find a boyfriend were literal jokes. Its the "fandom" that takes things si seriously.

Like Holy shit, people on this thread don't know what Wendy and Dipper exchanging hate mean, and project some shipping feeling on it. Pure autistism.

>Wendy and Dipper exchanging hate mean

Hats*

Also, seriously, it was just a sign of affection, but the "fandom" can't look at something like this without thinking "OOOOOOH MY THIS MEAN THAT SHE WANTS TO FUCK???"

I'm in a weird position where I find myself defending the show here despite being disappointed.

The show was good, but it had the potential to be really great.

2A was the strongest part of the show and really showed what it could do. Also some moments from S1 like its finale and moments in DaMvtF and Stan's sacrifice scene. There were really great things that are much better than you expect from cartoons even today when they've been pretty strong lately honestly.

I feel like the people working on it cared a lot and worked really hard, but maybe cared too much and worked too hard, because they all burnt out.

Another season was needed but everyone was exhausted and to their credit they did wrap it up instead of leaving us hanging but they needed to pack it in a little early.

Honestly though if not for that this could have been a show that ran 4 or 5 seasons and got really good because it did not hit its stride until 2A. if everyone hadn't burnt out but had built from there instead it could have been amazing. No I wouldn't have wanted it to go 10-15 seasons and become a zombie but shows need time to find their footing and people have all mentioned the characters who needed development like Wendy and Ford and so on.

So it was good but had ingrediants to be better but real life is real life and Disney has never given a shit about or supported its tv animation. So it is what it is. But it was fine and has its cult following for a reason, I can see a cult following being somewhat active w it for a few decades like with Invader Zim possibly (another show that had a lot of problems esp towards its end let's be honest).

I don't know if you're counting me as one of those, but I wasn't a shipper. When the shapeshifter episode aired and Wendy finally talked about ~it~ with Dipper and put him down gently, I was like "thank FUCK, it's finally over." But it wasn't. And realistically, it doesn't just go away like that, but god.

Mabel's "romances" were obviously jokes, but to be honest they DID get a little overdramatic with Dipper's feelings for Wendy sometimes.

It just wasn't something I thought (when I started the show) would carry over into and throughout the second season.

Mabel world should've been more like the real world, just tweaked in a way that was ideal to her. And have her be a bit under the influence of it, thinking the whole world is a little too weird, even for Gravity Falls. So basically like that scene in Paranoia Agent.

youtube.com/watch?v=QYi3BiXOA1I

Well yes people here and on reddit bitch about Wendip and Padippica sometimes. But really we should just be happy that the only ship to grow a Zutarian level crazy obsessive subculture was a crack ship that no one ever expected to happen, hence the lack of an Internet wide autism explosion when GF ended. Instead we just get biweekly "Padippica should have been canon" threads contained to Sup Forums that turn into posting Pacifica's giant boobs immediately. Meanwhile the reverberations of the Zutara freak out are still felt even today.

The only thing that really let me down was the D&D ep since it didn't seem like anyone who wrote it ever played and Weird Al was wasted.

>and Weird Al was wasted.

this is one of my biggest complaints with that episode.

that doesn't matter. including it automatically validates it as important.

>Mabel's "romances" were obviously jokes
who cares if boy-crazy is like, her number 1 trait?

"Number 1?" Not "quirky and loves everything targeted towards her demographic?" I get that boy-crazy is in there somewhere, but calling it number one is pushing it a little.

The fact that they never tried to get down to the meat of that was a waste. What if Mabel got into an actual relationship, but it wasn't magical enough for her and she couldn't handle it? They could've addressed that Mabel is "in love with love" and resolved it, somehow. Would've made for an interesting episode.

Honestly, I have no idea what they were smoking when talking about math. There are math-heavy RPGs out there, but D&D's never required anything more complex than basic multiplication and division. Even THAC0, which was notorious for confusing new players, didn't involve any math; it was just obtuse.

Is it bad I would fug Alex

How ashamed should I be

Very, he really isn't anything special

Sometimes average looking does the job

I forgot to add but I think his QUIIIRKAY personality would be grating as well, probably more so.

not enough pacifica is one big reason

Mike Rianda left after Season 1. Didn't realize how much influence he had on the show being good until I saw S2. Alex is a hack, etc

I like Pacifica but why do anons act like giving her a bigger role would improve the quality of the show? Northwest Manor Mystery was one of the best episodes but that was more because of the good writing, atmosphere, and moral than her presence.

He dumped her. She was really torn up about it.

Season 2A was the best though.

She's more likable and compelling than Mabel.

Granted, it's probably because Hacklet didn't have a proper opportunity to ruin her.

Iirc, no one was stabbed but he made threats. It was Fresherluke, the author of Bikini Cowboy. He was a storyboard artist on GF

I always enjoyed that show. So many people forget about its run on AS.

TLH has a large viewerbase of adults, it routinely beats other cartoons in every single demographic.

Her and Dipper had a good dynamic. It was nice having Dipper not be a stick in the mud.

the same dynamic could've easily been applied to Wendy, or hell even Candy, and its called "female character actually respecting Dipper and not treating him like shit" which felt alien in this show. Pacifica's character traits such as being a stuck up snob were apparent for maybe all of 10 seconds at the beginning of NWMM but had overall no impact on their relationship.

considering the way Alex acts on twitter about harmless facetious threats like "Finish GF or I'll kill you!", the storyboarder was probably joking about the stabbing thing and Alex overheard it and had him fired.

Not just respecting him and not treating him like shit. Wendy does it, but Pacifica actually grows from it and finds herself anew with his help while Wendy remains static and flat, even if vaguely likeable.

she grew for one episode, promised to redeem her family, then the next episode she was back to status quo and her family name ended up being ruined.

Alex was a big fat mistake!

> Mary-Sue Mabel
> Scapegoat Dipper
> wearing sweaters in a hot Oregon summer
> Hardly any barefoot kids in same
> No Padippica

Interesting. Will we ever get the show we need?

>Surprised to see Pacifica's popularity
>Try something to make her likable
>no ideas how to do next afterward
>status quo
>just like every romance-related/focus character
seriously, the same gimmicks in most of cartoons and love stories.

I can really imagine Dipper and Candy as some really good friends. They are both awkward and fairly friendly nerds. I can imagine they are the type of people discussing strategies and synergies of a videogame on facebook.

Candip (friends, or couple) works because it's basically Mabel and Dipper, but with less incest. Candy is basically just Mabel.

And while Mabel got consistently worse, Candy was mostly spared, although they did make her into some kind of psycho.

anyone who liked this shit should die in a concentration camp

>inb4 "Where's YOUR cartoon?"