Rick and Morty S03E02 Discussion Thread #4

Spaghetti Edition

What did Sup Forums think of last night's episode?

rate
strawpoll.com/k6r32sys

previous thread

>reddit and memey
you have to go back

that's right... back out the door and right back in again, so I can shake you're hand

>thread #4
lelno

go back to high school

>reddit and memey generals

It was shit. It wasn't funny and there was no point to it other than propping up Summer and shitting on Jerry. That's strike one for the female writers.

I thought it was arguably the worst episode they've made. The lack of humor really made it shitty. I mean I get it, it's suppose to be a darker season, but that doesn't mean it has to have less funny moments.

To make it worse you have women joining the writing staff, and after watching this episode, that couldn't have been more painfully obvious. I feel like they weren't put on their for merit, but because they had a vagina.

get ready for an entire season's worth of faggots pretending the show is shit now because there are two women in the writer's room and seeing SJWs around every corner

Let's hope Jessica Gao does better with her draft. Of course we can't solely place blame on the writer with the writing credit, but they were still the most responsible as far as i'm concerned.

The writer, Jane Becker didn't have any writing experience before this, at least nothing else comes up on her IMDB, but before this she was an assistant to the producers on the simpsons. From there she went to work on this garbage episode.

Jessica Gao has more experience, but she has some pretty awful stuff on her IMDB that she was credited with writing for.

Actually there are four women in the writers room now, and four men. If you look at Jane Beckers twitter she comes off as somewhat of a SJW.

I'm hoping for better next week, but these things can't be ignored.

Generically bland humor kino!

The show is shit now because the show is shit now. I have enjoyed every episode before last night's episode, which was shit. I could have written a better episode than that hot garbage.

Nobody will discuss Reddit and Memey until someone gets trips in this thread

It was garbage. I think it was the first episode where I didn't laugh once.

So Sup Forums, when they bring this sauce back are you going to try it?

3/10 episode, by far the worst of the show
and this comes from a hardcore fan that doesn't care about the "we want the reddit audience" meme

>one subpar episode
>FUCKING SHOW'S RUINED NOW
breathe, pussy

probably, just so i can say i did

It was worse than subpar. It was garbage.

The fact that the creators thought "This is good. We should air this" is a very troubling sign.

It was good except for the bucket guy's mustache and the fedora tipping

>roasties
Wasn't aware of this, dropped

This it wasn't funny, interesting or even "le random" xd, it was just let ebin reference to mad max

what triggered you so hard about the episode?

Anyone here like Rick and Morty but would rather wait until the season finishes and THEN watch all the episodes instead of waiting each Sunday. I cant be bothered to watch it normally ... GOT on the other hand

t. brainlet

Should I start watching this show from the beginning, or is it bad throughout the whole series?

I've never seen an episode but my friends talk about it.

>shitting on Jerry
t. bandwagoner who has never the shown before

They didn't think that. They were smiling and nodding at the roastie as hard as they could while they held their breath and hit Send

Just watch season 1 and 2
the cliffhanger it ends on is better than what actually happens in season 3

Nothing. I'm not some Sup Forumstard looking for feminist propaganda or something, I just thought the show was really funny before and the episode last night wasn't funny at all. It was worse than one of those "non-canonical" shorts they made. It was a waste of 30 minutes of my life.

You could tell that women wrote the jokes for this because it wasn't very funny and lacked a lot of structure and wit that men usually put into their jokes. Women like "Silly" stuff. Or they just think like acting passive aggressive or overly emotional, or speaking their emotions is good or more acceptable.

I'm hoping this was just a dud episode that somehow got throught he radar. I really hope Harmon doesn't give it his normal "more drama" treatment and ruin this fucking show.

>hurr do i watch the first episode first?

R&M haters, everyone. Can't even count.

What fedora tipping?

i thought it was mediocre season 1+2 but the writing this season is terrible

>i gonna go to Sup Forums and tell those fucking white males

>it wasn't funny
is this a fucking joke? who the fuck watches shit to laugh

If you want to laugh smell nitrou oxide you morons
And if you can compose yourself to grow up a bit, watch entertainment products for a few intriguing ideas here and there

>intriguing ideas
literally where

The episode was excellent because the consequences at the end of the previous episode drove the motivations and mini-arcs of Summer and Morty. (The divorce making both of them upset so Morty lashes out with violence and Summer trys to fill the void left by her father by dating someone new.) It blended real family drama with silly sci-fi. That's what Rick and Morty does best.

I not only disagree with the folks saying it's a weaker episode, I argue it's actually a stong episode. Excellent job Dan and Justin please continue this level of polish.

>muh tumblr bogeyman

tfw never have a genital washer.

You can go back now, you're done here

All television is in general garbage

Adult swim is the only place bizzare enough to run into a few interesting things in the slew of fetid cowshit

Morty's relationship with his giant arm was funny, it cracked me up.

I liked when robot Morty became aware for instance only to be wasted regardless

>I watch rick and morty to make me think
ok

>heh that showed 'em
>nothing personnel kid

Can someone please explain why the mustache bit was supposed to be funny? It sounded like a really long pointless rant, but people are saying that women are supposed to find it funny. How?

It wasn't supposed to be funny

nice display of your level of comprehension

It was the only joke that really showed feminine humor imo. Women think it's hilarious to write men as if they are women: insecure, sensitive, and easily upset.

Summer felt really forced in this episode
You could tell a woman wrote it. They were constantly trying to make her look "cool" and "badass"

Awesome! I have been starving for some good original content for so long!

the most reddit post on all of Sup Forums.
>it's good because characters have motivations
>it's good because it does the bare minimum of screenwriting

This show isn't funny.

too soon

*to me.

In general women find great pleasure in trying to make men more like women

average episode tbqh

objectively this
even family guy has better jokes

this has to by copy pasted from somewhere

Family guy doesn't have jokes. It has references.

Isn't this a children's cartoon? Is Sup Forums that bad?

you really can't tell me you think Rick and Morty is any different?

I like Morty's muscle arm part. Other than that the episode was meh

Nah, the last few seasons they've stopped actually referencing things and they say things that sound like they should be referencing things but it's just nonsense

R&M has a few references, but the entire joke isn't just, "Hey, remember this show??"

The entire joke this episode was 'Hey remember Mad Max?'

>unironically making a general to discuss cartoons

Lol, here we go!

That wasn't a joke, that was just the setting.

t. rational human being

this is literally an anime website

Last episode was hey remember this mcdonalds sauce, this episode is hey remember this mad max movie, and the third episode is hey remember the tiny rick joke he's a pickle now.

Sure? The show has jokes, that are funny. Morty grows a giant arm that kills stuff which becomes therapeutic. His relationship becomes tender hearted. When he's about to kill the scrawny guy he pulls the arm aside and expresses his concern over losing his newfound friend. It's great.

Why are you so mad about this? Did you even watch it?

You see this face?
This is my face when you act like this show has heretofore been highly cultured and exquisitely fashioned, but became silly and inconsequential suddenly in this episode.

I didn't care for it. I don't like watching shows where people argue. Couples arguing is not my idea of entertainment.

Worse yet, since most of the episodes this season are written by women, and since this season kicks off with a divorce theme, I'm willing to bet we're going to get a WHOLE FUCKING SEASON of people arguing.

Gee, swell.

Yes, this is a new direction for this show.
Jerry has always been a strong confident leader.

Classic feminist/marxist operating procedure.

Take something funny and or original created by men, infiltrate it, and destroy it from inside.

Would Rick and Morty have been this popular if it was created by women?

That is the question you need to be aware of.

Did you respond to the wrong post?

user do you mind if I summarize your conclusions?

>Rick and Morty is a show that Sup Forums has assessed very critically throughout its run
>Episodes are sometimes hit and miss
>An episode comes out, first to be credited to a woman, it's mediocre
>Regardless of any other circumstance, it's probably the fact that she's a woman that caused the episode to be bad
>Women clearly can't write as well as men
>All female writers are only hired for their gender because everyone knows they have less talent

Do you see where the logic fails? This is really harmful pattern of thinking. I don't think a writer's credits have ever been so scrutinized for this show until now, and in my opinion Get Schwifty was much worse than this one. Same with the dog episode, and they were both written in part by the same dude.

Rick and Morty is quickly becoming the new Ren & Stimpy. A wildly overrated show that was intensely popular then completely shit the bed after only two seasons.

Define "marxist"

>this whole post

I'm just gonna leave this here.

I thought that was a pretty solid episode that gave me quite a few pretty hard laughs. 8/10

Also, for the people saying it was underwhelming and such there are a few things to consider such as:

This episode was hyped to all hell
It was written mainly by someone different (Jane Becker) according to the wikipedia (Don't burn me at the stake if I'm wrong about this)
It's not that the episode wasn't good, it's just that the rest of the show is that amazing

Here's how the whole divorce subplot is going to play out:

>Episode 1-7: People arguing. Shouting. Etc.
>Episode 8: Jerry does something to redeem himself and becomes man of the house again, everyone is one big happy family.

I didn't laugh a single time. There wasn't a good joke in the whole thing.

I don't see why people thought this was disappointing. I loved it, and the script was beautifully written, good humor and some points i burst out laughing.

morty confessing his love to beth then suddenly restarting and saying hello made me laugh out loud,

then "Is THAT what they are?" best qoute so far,
followed by the mugging dog.Also another one that got me was
Wanna piss on him?
Get out of my mind!

Vast majority of public opinion is against it. Even on the fakebook and twatter.

>and some points i burst out laughing.
Which ones?

I like that we seem to be dipping into themes of how to do nihilism correctly and in a, quote mode, "healthy way." end quote mode.

Previous episodes generally only explored it so far as Rick putting forth a persona of being made of stone and nothing mattering but secretly harbouring contradictory opinions by fairly often deciding that some things do matter. Which was fun, but didn't explore the themes much deeper than that. It was less about nihilism as a whole and more about Rick's personal experience with it.

Here, the ideals of the shallow shitty nihilism that Rick practices keep getting explicitly referred to in the context of being shallow and shitty. Hemorrhage briefly suffering a personality crisis when he realises that he's just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian was pretty great. All the little pepperings of nihilist themes that can't be looked too deeply into on their own but establish those themes as being present in Summer's life right now were fantastic. The irony of a value signifying Jerry's familial relationship with Summer being placed on the words "everything's bullshit" when he's specifically referring to that nihilistic mindset is wonderful.

After this episode established Summer's own experience with nihilism and highlighted a few ways in which it differs from Rick's by holding it up to nihilism as a whole, I hope that we eventually get to see their experiences clash together at some point, and I wouldn't be disappointed if season 3 continued getting deeper into these themes.

Good episode.

>Season 1: It's a Beth and Jerry arguing episode

>Season 2: It's a Best and Jerry arguing episode

>Season 3: It's a Summer and some minor character arguing episode

HO BOY!

*goes to check*
No, no, the post was commenting on how this episode showed men as weak and insecure because it was written by women.
I agreed, and pointed out that they really are changing the direction of the show, citing Jerry's previous strong and confident demeanor as an example.

I bet these are from reddit

Everyone saying this episode was not that good, what the fuck? This was a quality fucking episode man, the jokes, the whole Morty and Summer handling the divorce, Rick fooling the entire Deathstalker group that they had power only to show Summer her relationship wouldn't work out? Amazing episode.

All I'm hoping is that we get more episodes with Beth and Summer yelling at people. Boy that sure is entertaining.

>dude you just gotta endure some episodes of shit before you can actually get to the good episodes

fucking reddit and meme fans

Stop baiting. No one is going to argue with you. If you want to watch people argue go catch the last episode of Rick and Morty.

It was ok. The divorce storyline is hampering the show though.

Those weren't really that funny. It was an average kind of meh episode. Everything with Armathy was nice though.
>Is THAT what they are?
Shit taste if you think this was the best quote. What else would Jerry think they are?
>mugging dog
More shitting on Jerry for no reason
>Wanna piss on him
Fetish shit, not funny
>Get out of my mind
Meh