What's the point of duolingo including a picture in these questions? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

What's the point of duolingo including a picture in these questions? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

That app is focused in american users, and they need, uuugh, special learning.

You will have to use the word without the picture later

sure, but still. why have multiple choice if I'm given the answer in the image?

to bring a visual association to the word?

Probably this.

As an example I know a herring is a fish, but I have no visual image of what a herring looks like, so I've completely forgotten what it translates to in Norwegian.

yeah but why even have the wrong answers if there's going to be a picture?

>Finn
>learning Sw*dish

You bring great shame to the famiry.

I know, I should already be fluent. I did choose it as one of the subjects when I did the final exams of high school and passed, but it's been a while.

that sure as fuck ain't a smörgås

>herring
sill/d

what the hell explain swedes

oooooh is it trying to say like "here you go"? bad question, I thought it was like "I've been looking for you"

Duolingo is garbage imho. It's good to learn the very early stuff, but past the beginner lessons you should use Duolingo and textbooks/websites to learn grammar. The way it teaches makes it extremely tedious and you can't really tell it to stop fucking asking you to answer questions to shit you've ingrained in your memory.

är is to be not to have

Oh wait, I get why you're mad now lol.

I guess it's just one of these sentences that don't translate well in other languages.

Just basic shit like how old you are varies, some languages use to have, some to be.

honestly I have a pretty good understanding of grammar due to 6 years of swedish in school, my vocabulary is just SHIT.

I'm sure duolingo is not very good but it's just something to get the ball rolling with

For vocabulary, get Memrise. Memrise is amazing to learn Vocabulary. I learned like 300 Finnish words in a week using it.

thanks. is it just vocabulary? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to brush up on other stuff too, I figured it's better to just start from the beginning and have some things be easy than try to skip anything.

first girl A CUTE

It's just vocabulary, but it teaches it very well.

Depending on the lesson maybe you can find some grammar too, but I assume it'd be mostly verbs.

It's not like Swedish grammar is hard anyway.

looks like grammar is extra :thinking_emoji:

Grammarbot is only for the most popular languages, I think you wouldn't get anything out of it. Pro is great for speed review and listening modes though.

Speed Review basically put all the words you learned (or 100 if you know more than that) and then gives you a word and you have like 10 seconds to pick the right answer between 4, and the longer you play without a mistake the least time you have (down to 5 seconds I think), and if you fail 3 times you lose.

that's cool
I doubt I'll put any money into this. just get familiar again with some online meme tools then maybe enroll in night classes if I feel like it. my sister already gave me a swedish language book to read by next christmas so that's the goal lol (it's moomins so nothing too hard)

Association.

memrise has been asking me to answer "hur är läget" "tack" and "skål" about 20 times in a row now wtf

this, it's a basic facet of learning a language

yeah, it makes you repeat until the little flower on the top right is full. ANd then you'll see it in lessons regularly. You can tell the app to stop asking you words you already know though.

good question

Duolingo is good for childeren and basic learning, but if you want to actually learn you have to do it the old fashioned way. dictionary, grammar books, flashcards, and you have to talk to people. most of this can be found online anyway desu.

Just download Tandem, plenty of cuties willing to help you with your languages. I've been talking for the last 10 hours in Spanish with a cute porteña.