How do you guys feel about the upcoming generation of cartoons?

I've noticed that cartoons tend to come in 2-4 year "generations": for example, the 07-09 generation (Chowder, Flapjack, Phineas and Ferb, Mighty B!), the 09-11 generation (Adventure Time, Regular Show, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Gumball Fish Hooks), and most recently the 12-15 generation (Gravity Falls, Korra, Uncle Grandpa, Steven Universe, Clarence, Harvey Beaks, Star Vs)

It appears that we're on another generation of cartoons. Any thoughts?

>Cartoon Network
Power Puff Girls reboot
Ben 10 reboot
full Mighty Magiswords series
OK KO (created by Ian JQ of RPG World, Adventure Time, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, and Steven Universe fame)
full Long Live the Royals series (confirmed by the TAG union blog)

>Disney
Future Worm
Milo Murphy's Law (created by Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, the phineas and ferb guys)
Duck Tales reboot (WOY writer Francisco Angones is story editor, Gravity Falls BG designer Sean Jimenez is Art Director)
Big Hero 6 series
Tangled series
Billy Dilley's Subterranean Summer (created by Aaron Springer of spongebob, samurai jack, and korgoth)
Country Club (created by the Houghton brothers of Harvey Beaks, and in the case of Chris, Gravity falls fame)

>Nickelodeon
The Loud House
Pinky Malinky (created by Chris Garbutt and Rikke Asbjoern, who worked on Gumball)
Bunsen Is a Beast! (created by Butch Hartman, co-produced with YTV)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Ou6MyZ5lmE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think this generation has been pretty solid aside from a few skinkers. (I'm not gonna say exactly which because I don't wanna start a pointless debate.)

As a whole though it's been pretty alright, and I partly believe it's because the people who are making these shows grew up with the great shows of the 90's.

I'm prepared to see Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network die by 2020

Nickelodeon is already dead.

With the exception of a few possibly decent series, I am not impressed one bit.

I honestly kind of hate what western animation has become. It's somehow regressed in visual quality over the past decade to the earliest cartoons. It's legit become a lost art.

It's undebatable that western animation has regressed hard in the past few decades. I think the main Disney channel being flooded with live action teen humor shows is the biggest sign.

I mean, it's fucking Disney, you'd think it would be far more prideful in pushing more cartoons.

I feel like we've been in a sinkhole of rotted, decaying, overdone, and over shit out shows.

Gravity Falls and maybe the first few seasons of Regular Show were good.

But AT and SUG? And other shows talked about to no end on here?

They're just mass produced "I want 100 seasons" shows.

>SU
>mass produced "I want 100 seasons" show
I'll give you AT though (especially since, unlike RS, it's been confirmed to have a 9th season)

>OK KO (created by Ian JQ of RPG World, Adventure Time, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, and Steven Universe fame)
It's funny, I immediately thought of those last three shows the moment I saw the poster.

So, when is this actually coming out?
Is it still stuck in limbo or is it moving forward?

It seems to be more of a gaming franchise than an actual animated series, unfortunately. But at least we can expect some more shorts down the line since various people have announced themselves as storyboard artists on OK K.O.! (Danny Ducker, Stevie Borbolla, Parker Simmons, Mira Ongchua, etc.).

they were doing some weird preemptive franchise thing (coming out with the ipad game first, along with having shorts, and promoting it with an indie dev game jam and and other stuff)

More importantly, when are we gonna get to see HER?

I'm all for Enid's thick gams, but Elodie is just so cute!

you thought of SMFA?
nice

>OK KO
When the hell are people gonna realize that OK K.O.! is the title?! The logo clearly shows that punctuation is included. Why is it so hard for everyone to put it through their thick skulls?!

We lack the autism to care for that

>Still barely any action cartoons.
>Saturday mornings still dead.

Networks don't like a large amount of serialization in cartoons, which you need to have to a good action cartoon in this day and age.

Netflix should do one

dreamworks did voltron
Netflix is probably the way to go with action cartoons

>It seems to be more of a gaming franchise than an actual animated series, unfortunately

God damn it Ian.

RS is ending after 8 SEASONS dumbass

OK KO! has Stephany Nadolny in it, so it'll be interesting.

I really hope OK. ko becomes super popular and changed this generation opening the gates to people like me who want to make cartoons with fighting and action

the rest is meh

I KNOW, right?!

Ian JQ's proven time and time again that he's capable of writing cool stories with fun characters and good comedy. And I'd love to explore the world of OK K.O.! some more, BEYOND the Plaza!

With RS and UG getting cancelled, and AT moving towards its completion, OK K.O.! could be a big step forward in Cartoon Network's future!... but it looks like we'll just have to depend on SU, WBB, that cheap Mighty Magiswords adaptation, and even more unnecessary reboots...

Although CN has the best shows right now, the next few years don't look too promising; I'm not seeing a lot of original series being announced.

I'm honestly most excited for what Disney TVA has to offer in the near future:

-Milo Murphy's Law looks really promising

-I'm still not too fond of the premise for Billy Dilley's Super Duper Subterranean Summer (still think it should have a shorter title), but I'm still excited to see what Aaron Springer'll finally do with his very first show. I'm expecting a pretty wacky cartoon!

-I also don't know how to feel about the premise of Country Club, but the apparent art style is just too cute and charming to not get excited over! I still can't believe Chris & Shane Houghton are actually making their own show at Disney as we speak!

-And let's not forget Tangled: Before Ever After, DuckTales, and Big Hero 6: The Series

Nick also seems to be doing well enough, too, but I reeeeally hope Lazybones (Casey Alexander and Lizz Hickey's pilot) gets greenlit.

I wanna see the different sides of K.O..

early Adventure Time is the best comedy cartoon (for kids) of the last 10 years fite me

but I'm not looking forward to more cartoons that will show obvious influence from it

None of this appeals to me at all, but the Ducktales reboot and Long Live The Royals looks the least obnoxious out of everything.

I know, I was saying that AT is getting a 9th season

>Lazybones
looks far more appealing that Jammers ever did

while I figure a good chunk of the characters are gonna have their voices changed (like a good chunk of them were voiced either by Ian or Jim Cummings), I hope that Cummings remains the voice of Lord Boxman

>reminds me of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
I'm a slut for wacky cartoons in a dark setting with spooky surroundings. Sign me up!

The only future CN projects I'm looking forward to are OK K.O.! (whatever the hell it's supposed to be), Long Live The Royals (if it truly is gonna be a full series), and Owen Dennis's unreleased pilot.

David Gemmill has already claimed the title of the first piece of fanart for Country Club.

Looks like Disney's going to waltz in and stomp the competition again

>but I'm still excited to see what Aaron Springer'll finally do with his very first show
not only that, but one of the head guys on the show (Clay Morrow) was another director on the mickey mouse shorts (as well as being a writer/boarder on dexter's lab, camp lazlo, and secret mountain fort awesome), Merriwether Williams (who wrote the outlines for a vast majority of Springer's classic spongebob episodes) is confirmed to be an outline writer, and Robertryan Cory is a character designer

Voltron
Home
Croods
That Snail show
Angry Birds
Bojack

Netflix is taking whatever it can and seeing what sticks. I thought Home was going to be shit but it turned out okay? The animation is fun but the character designs are awful. The writing is generic.

>Cartoon Network
>Power Puff Girls reboot
The worst episode of the original series was white noise I could have on in the background. An average episode of the reboot pisses me the fuck off.
>Ben 10 reboot
This was legitimately necessary if only because they overcomplicated the shit out of that setting. Art's a downgrade, but I'll live if the writing's good and doesn't go full convoluted again
>full Mighty Magiswords series
hype
>OK KO (created by Ian JQ of RPG World, Adventure Time, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, and Steven Universe fame)
I'm scared it will be shit
>full Long Live the Royals series (confirmed by the TAG union blog)
hype

>Disney
>Future Worm
better suited for shorts
>Milo Murphy's Law (created by Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, the phineas and ferb guys)
It will run for several seasons too many
>Duck Tales reboot (WOY writer Francisco Angones is story editor, Gravity Falls BG designer Sean Jimenez is Art Director)
it will either be absolute shit or fucking awesome
>Big Hero 6 series
see above
>Tangled series
see above but probably fucking awesome
>Billy Dilley's Subterranean Summer (created by Aaron Springer of spongebob, samurai jack, and korgoth)
i'll reserve judgment until I know more
>Country Club (created by the Houghton brothers of Harvey Beaks, and in the case of Chris, Gravity falls fame)
i'll reserve judgment until I forget it exists

>Nickelodeon
>The Loud House
pretty good, but Nick needs to move out of their comfort zone
>Pinky Malinky (created by Chris Garbutt and Rikke Asbjoern, who worked on Gumball)
ahahahahahahaha, no
Bunsen Is a Beast! (created by Butch Hartman, co-produced with YTV)
worst case scenario I'm expecting Squirrel Boy bad, best case scenario I'm expecting Lazlo good, so it will be completely average

Voltron is fujoshit tho and is mediocre on every aspect.

>Gravity Falls
>Good
I almost thought this post wasn't bait

>Everything he knows about voltron is from Sup Forums and he's never actually watched it.

CN's new generation seems pretty bad.

Isn't Nick getting some high fantasy magical girl action cartoon in a couple years?

God damn this looks good

Eh, CN makes 2 shit shows for every 3 decent shows they get running.

They're just smart enough to cancel the shit shows after 1-2 seasons and not dumb enough to cancel the good shows after 3 seasons.

So they're like anti-Disney

>full Long Live the Royals series (confirmed by the TAG union blog)

Link?

Dont forget glitch techs! seems to be bad, but...

Mildly enthused for OK KO and DuckTales. I'll probably check out Magiswords and nuBen 10 too.
Most everything else looks like hot garbage, to be honest, but whatever. In a couple of years we'll have a new batch anyway.

When is Ghostforce coming out?

>Bunsen Is a Beast
>best case scenario I'm expecting Lazlo good
The best is a danny phantom wannabe.

sounds like it will all be shit from now on
we should all just kill ourselves

>Adult Cartoons

Some of them are okay (Bojack Hosreman) some of them are godtier (Rick & Morty)

>Children Cartoons

You guys are boned beyond bars but since the 2000s children cartoons have always been utter garbage I guess it's no surprise

kill yourself tlhfag

So much degeneracy. It doesn't feel like earth anymore.

>It's undebatable that western animation has regressed hard in the past few decades.
Personally, I think that we're better off than where we were before.

They already changed Enid's VA.

The roster looks like complete shit.

This has been pretty normal for the last two decades, desu senpai. Only 2-3 shows will stick while all others get canceled and replaced by something just as bad or mundane.

Bump.

Dude you got good taste

Cartoons were looking real good for a while there and I had hope but... I'm only watching Ok KO.

We live in a golden age of western animation right now. It's better than it's ever been. If you can't see that then it's not for you which is sad.

That all sounds mediocre. But at least it seems that Cartoon Network is out of it's tumblrtoon Calarts phase.

I don't understand the appeal to Rick and Morty. It's just like every other "adult" cartoon out there. Adding a sci-fi theme and improv doesn't somehow make it stand out.

I wonder if anybody actually believes this.

Anybody who actually watches cartoons instead of complaining about them

Where'd you hear that from?

I'd argue Korra was a separate sub-generation of the last few 2010-2014 action cartoons: Young Justice, Green Lantern, Sym-Byonic Titan, and Generator Rex were also a part of that group. It doesn't really fit in with everything else in your 12-15 group.

That aside, I'm really only hype for Duck Tales, Tangled and Big Hero 6

Oh I watch cartoons and I can guarantee you it's shit.

Then you have shit taste. Sorry to say.

Nah, other way around. It's the only explanation to how any sane person can call it "the golden age". Everybody knows the late 90's-early 2000's was the golden age that we will never get back. Enjoy your mediocre comedies and "progressive" lesbians though.

Basically, from best to worst it's: 90s, 60s,80s,10s, 00s, 70s.

Agreed.

>look up "Bunsen is a Beast!" on google images
>script for first episode is in comic sans

Looks like this one's going to be a real steaming pile of shit.

WTF is this? The new Squirrel boy?

It's probably because he doesn't want to leave SU, he has a pretty big role in oversight and I think he'd feel bad about letting the show decay while the story's still going.

>Merriwether Williams
she was legit THE WORST MLP:FiM writer back when I watched that show.

"Instead of writing interesting characters lets make them all black transgender lesbian midgets."

Wow Nick actually seems to have something that MIGHT have a little bit of wide appeal, which means they'll probably pass on it like they did Adventure Time

oh shiit i need this

each time i´m liking disney and nickelodeon projects more and more than cartoon network´s, ok ko looks cool tho, but i hope twelve forever gets picked up too, long live the royals got picked up and it´s really ugly

That skeleton looks cool as shit.

What about stuff from Zag Animation ? like Tales of Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir for example? Disney has a deal with Zagand theyre distributing the shows. Ladybug is on Disney XD.

>Adult Cartoons
Bojack's pretty fucking amazing and is notable because it's an actual drama. Yeah, it's also a comedy like all adult animation currently has to be, but unlike Rick and Morty (which itself is fucking genius) it's pushing genre boundaries. You watch Bojack to be bummed out and depressed knowing things are going to end horribly, it's hard to say that about any other adult animation. Again, not shitting on Rick and Morty, but we're already in agreement about that being great.

>Children Cartoons
A lot of people seem hung up on the animation quality. We could sit and thumb through all the dumb awful shit we've seen in older cartoons, but even if a lot of flash animation looks plainer that's OK. The writing in kids' cartoons is leaps and bounds above what most of us had when we were kids, no matter how old we are. They came out after TV in general got a whole lot better, they have actual continuity and character arcs and generally respect the intelligence of children enough to have interesting stories. That's not to say that your SU's and AT's and GF's and whatnot are inherently better than cartoons with only a very loose continuity, but it's great that they actually get to exist alongside them now instead of only existing in Saturday morning action shows.

I mean, you see people in this thread moaning about lesbians and shit. At the very least they're tackling topics that piss off adults in a manner that's pretty hard for the kids themselves to notice. I wasn't a fan of the way Korra handled it as a last minute ass-pull since it didn't build it up, but for something like SU that gets shit for having lesbians as part of the premise at all or the Loud House for the two dads they handle the topic pretty well. Your kid's not gonna turn gay watching either, but they're probably not going to go to school and have a meltdown when they figure out someone they know is gay. It's better than the old Captain Planet approach,anyways.

Art looks so much worse than the pilot.

Anyways there's nothing I'm really stoked about, Ben 10 looks cool. Milo Murphy, Royals and OK KO might be good. Some of the other shows might be good too, who knows
How is Future Worm?

For better or for worse, it looks like animation is starting to follow the trend of reboots and working with existing properties.

This

I do wonder how much of OK KO won't be DBZ shit.

>literally never happnened

>Enjoy your mediocre comedies and "progressive" lesbians though.
>being this cynical
>think it's all just muh progressive
The 00s were an even worse time for cartoons.

>tumblr toon CalArts phase
Literally what?

Future-Worm! is alright. It's aesthetically pretty similar to Rick and Morty in both visuals and sci fi misadventures (TOO many RaM crew members worked on this show during the production break between Seasons 2 and 3). It still has the same flaw that average kids shows tend to have, though: it focuses on trying to get too wacky and outlandish with its plots that its jokes tend to be pretty weak, and I'm not too fond of Fyootch himself. Danny's super cute and likable, though.

It's entertaining, but the three-segment anthology format it has makes each story feel too fast-paced, IMO.

All in all, it's pretty harmless. You either like it, or you easily ignore/forget about it. But I still have tons of hope in my heart that Ryan Quincy eventually gets to continue Out There. His style works best when it's toned down and has more of a slice of life approach. Maybe [adult swim] can pick it up in the near future...

A large part of it is Megaman.

Super hype for Ducktales reboot, OK KO and Milo Murphy's Law mite B gud.

The rest don't interest me at all.

These expressions need to die, they are at or barely above emoticon level quality.
Why the fuck do women and betas love them so much?
It's the least effort one can do, are people who create these shows okay with that representing them?

Ignore him

These expressions are used a lot less than you think.

Basically the story of anything his type complains about.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is OK KO if it's actually going to be a series.
Everything else look meh. I was kinda hoping the success of shows like Steven Universe or Gravity Falls would lead Networks to be a bit more adventurous and greenlight more story driven original shows, but the trend seems to be going the opposite direction with more safe, flatly staged, whacky slice of life comedies. Nothing wrong with those, but I wish there was more variety.

Yeah. Where's the next Over The Garden Wall?

Well she outlined many of the best classic spongebob episodes