How many people here are native speakers of regional languages?

How many people here are native speakers of regional languages?

We seem to have a lot of Catalans, but I haven't found any speakers of the ones that are less prominent like Occitan or the regional Italian languages.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ARocveTYtqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=q9UP8Vh63KY
youtube.com/watch?v=QLFOGwmPei0
sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_leid
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Post the native regional languages of the US

This doesn't even specify which.

These were languages before contact so obviously many are extinct now.

Sort of, but this map does hold some truth.
The algic family wasnt so spread far west at the time, since europeans hadnt settled and pushed us west yet. The na-dene would hold some territory asfar south as lake winnipeg.
Its even in our oral histories about that (at least for cree) we came from far east from james bay.
The navajo wouldve been a bit more north in the early 1500s, as they were still moving south from northern canada.
Still an alright map though nonetheless

Well, Swedish is a regional language in Finland. And since I'm from Sweden I suppose I do speak a finnish regional language. Although lord knows i can barely understand a word the finns say.

>sameland

user som skulle studera i helsingfors?

>Belarus and Shitkraine included
Fuck off

I think the more interesting ones are where it's a language that is only spoken in a certain region of a certain country like Occitan, Sardinian, Catalan, Basque, etc. instead of languages that are official/dominant in one country but regional in another (i.e. French in Quebec).

I honestly know next to nothing about native cultures and languages but I'd like to learn more. I'm in Chicago and the Field Museum has a pretty extensive exhibit on this stuff that I should probably check out one of these days.

I also found the Anasazi/Puebloan peoples pretty interesting since I learned a bit about them a few years back while backpacking in New Mexico.

Swiss german. Lucerne with an inherited entlebuecherisch tint.

i swear to god these maps have me pissing blood out my eyelids

Do most German speaking swiss code-switch when talking to people from Germany?

I took 4 years of German in High School and I can understand most of this
youtube.com/watch?v=ARocveTYtqQ

but almost none of this
youtube.com/watch?v=q9UP8Vh63KY

Yes, unless they already understand it or say they're trying to learn to. We don't expect germans to undestand swiss german.

Me and all of my family and some friends speak frisian

I know a Mirandese guy, but he doesn't speak Mirandese.

Do his parents? I've read it's supposed to be close to Asturian, but I (an EU PT speaker) can understand most of it in this video and it sounds pretty damn close to PT

youtube.com/watch?v=QLFOGwmPei0

How true is the "Frisian is closest to English" meme? The bits I've heard just sound like Dutch to me.

I speak a bit of cymraeg

I speak sardinian

You can paint all of France with the tricolor. Regional languages are all but dead except in Corsica, where Corsican is still spoken a fair bit despite the fact that everyone knows French.

Probably not.

It sounds like Spanish with a Portuguese accent (as opposed to Galician which sounds like Portuguese with a Spanish accent).

Spanish is actually the odd one out, being the only open-voweled one thanks to basque. All the other Iberian languages (and even Occitan) sound more closed and 'slavic', I've noticed.

>implying Ireland speaks Irish

Seriously close. The famous example being "Brea, bûter en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk". In english, that's "bread, butter and green cheese is good english and good frisian.

Catalan has a lot of the closed vowels like PT for sure, but I'd say Galician sounds pretty open (as you put it, PT with a Spanish accent).

Occitan's accent is a lot more French than Catalan's. A Catalan friend of mine said she can read Occitan just fine but can't understand it spoken out loud at all.

'Pure' Rural galician is just Portuguese that's extra northern - They say "on" instead of "ão", which some people in the north do something in between.

I actually heard a bit of Occitan in Toulouse last summer, but it was when I walked past a center for the language. It seems that the regional languages of France are just spoken by a handful of old people and an even smaller number of young ones who want to keep things alive.

It's spoken a bit in the west IIRC.

Whenever I read Frisian, though, I do feel like my high school German gets me further than my native English.

>extra northern
I've noticed Northerners close vowels less and roll their Rs instead of using the guttural sound in words like "rainha." Seems like an overall older dialect.

>Whenever I read Frisian, though, I do feel like my high school German gets me further than my native English.
Most of that is because of the dutch spelling. If it was written out like English, you'd understand it easily. Like "goed" looks weird until you learn that it's pronounced the same way as English "good".

Yes and no. Ive read some old english things on wiki and some basic gramar like you are and stuff is nearly identical in pronounciation. English is in my opinion indeed the closest language to english, but this doesnt mean it's clearly visable. For all I know danish is closer, but I only know dutch, german, frisian and english so frisian would be my pick yes.

On a semi-related note, there's Scots. I can't tell how much of a meme it is, but I can understand most of it and it seems kinda like the differences between Portuguese and Galician

sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_leid

Maybe. The rolled R's is more of a rural thing, with Urbanites using the guttural ones. The north is full of small villages so it's more prevalent, but in Porto they'll use either. They are exactly interchangeable. Here in Coimbra everyone uses the guttural one, but not around the city.

As for the vowels, it's weird. The syllables are more staccato, but the vowels themselves aren't as open. The south (below Lisbon) does this hard B's and T's and D's which highlights some vowels as well.

In the beiras (Coimbra, Aveiro, Leiria, Guarda, Castelo Branco), everyone slurs ever so little.

English to frisian I meant

It's just Scottish autism. Pay it no mind. It's like if people in the deep south declared that their language was "confederate".

>that massive sameland
There are like 100 000 of them at best

You're right frisian got dutchified quite alot in the same way english got frenchified.

>Coimbra
That accent is more of an amalgam of Portugal in general, no?

>In the beiras (Coimbra, Aveiro, Leiria, Guarda, Castelo Branco), everyone slurs ever so little.
I have a lot of friends from Caldas da Rainha, and I don't have too much trouble understanding them. But Lisboetas, they're the worst honestly. A good friend of mine is from Amadora and I can't understand much of what he says unless he speaks very slowly.

Coimbra proper is about as close as you get to a default Portuguese accent. Lisbon is the second best bet, though.

The main difference I've noticed is that Coimbra slurs a bit more in casual speak than Lisbon. If you had trouble understanding a Lisbon accent, it must have been from a pocket of non Lisbon or maybe even non Portuguese people.

The Scottish latch onto anything that separates them from the rest of Britain. They resent the English because the English are superior at almost everything and 90% of Scots are actually English and not the ancient Celts they think they are. I unironically blame Braveheart for the recent surge in Scottish nationalism.

>not the ancient Celts they think they are
Aren't the English more Germanified celts than anything else? An English friend of mine has told me that and it seems the genetic makeup of the British Isles hasn't changed much since the last Glacial Maximum.

>I unironically blame Braveheart for the recent surge in Scottish nationalism.
It's more of the more vocal "muh heritage" things you see in the states. Maybe not quite as bad as Irish or Italian Americans but probably #3.

the whole "scots is a language" thing is a bit of a catch 22 for jocks because it's a tacit admission that they're just rustic english people.

i[ve been working on a map

hes wrong

There's some dudes here who know old Norse, old Church Slavonic, and Latin. I think there's a Ukrainian who speaks Rusyn, too.

i am Silesian but nobody in Silesia speaks silesian, it's a meme language
old people here speak german and the young ones speak polish but with many words borrowed from deutsch

It varies from study to study. Genetics and ancestry is mostly a pseudoscience at this point. Some might say the English are 40% Anglo-Saxon, 30% native Briton with another 10% Scandinavian, with the rest being generally just generic Western European. Other studies might say the English are almost entirely indigenous, with >30% being Germanic. So much time has passed, and the lands of Scotland and England have switched hands so many times that the English and Scottish genetically the same. Any cultural differences are minuscule at best. It's just faggots larping as medieval kingdoms. We're British now. The melting pot has already happened. And they won't get over it.

Look at the population density of Scotland. Lowland Scots, the vast majority of Scots, are Northumbrians. Anglo-Briton mutts.

>speak accentless Dutch
>talk to someone from a different city
>oh, you're from Utrecht aren't you?
HOW?!

meant for

Not me.

Savùt 'kat déga, OP l'è 'n fnòc e tòt chietèr a què in te fìl y è di pàtaca

I don't know if it counts as regional if it used to be the 1st language in the territory of 5 1/4 - 7 1/2 modern countries, but it isn't official.

It's a similar situation for Kurdish, which is spoken in most of the same areas but is more 'dominant' in those areas.

Scanian is not a language, or even a dialect. It's a speech impediment.

Who /sorb/ here?

Why are Americans so obsessed about regional languages ? Stick to English and let people preserve their own national language, scum.

One night I'm gonna come to you, inside of your house or wherever you sleep, and I'm gonna cut your throat.

Fuck you Amerimutt. It's bad enough you're killing our national languages by imposing and propagating English everywhere, but now some like you also want to promote meme languages like """"""Occitan"""""" (not an language by the way, the langue d'Oc are just a group of dialects) which has been virtually dead for a century.
Anglophones shit on Francophones all the time in Canada and now even in Québec and yet you promote stuff like that which only creates more tensions in European countries. Fuck off.

THAT'S RIGHT, JUSTIN. YOU SNIVELLING BOY. I... drink... your... MILKSHAKE. DRAAAAAAAAAAINAGE, JUSTIN. DRAAAAAAAAAAAINAGE. I AM THE THIRD REVELATION. I AM WHO THE LORD HAS CHOSEN. I TOLD YOU I WOULD EAT YOU. I TOLD YOU I WOULD SWALLOW YOU.

What ? I'm not even Canadian.
I guess shitposting like that is normal far a regionalfag.

Maybe because there are a fucking ton of native Catalan speakers (4-5 million native speakers) and barely anybody speak Occitan (200,000 native speakers)

>not an language by the way, the langue d'Oc are just a group of dialects
dialects of what?
how do you distinguish a dialect from a language?

Who else /memespeaker/ here?
>can understand the language easily
>have no problem listening to fluent or fast speakers
>messes up on grammar or forgets a word
>can read the language but doesn't remember how to spell sometimes
>accent is fine but fluency is off or fluency is fine but accent is off

>speak my dialect outside my region
>be seen as a retard

>speak dialect in the Netherlands
>they can't understand