IDW Revolution comics storytime

>What is revolution?
Revolution is IDW's big crossover event involving: ROM, Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K. and others

>What is being storytimed?
Today's releases are Action Man 3 and ROM 2

>Previous Storytimes
Road to Revolution, Action Man 1 & 2, ROM 1, Micronauts 1-4: desuarchive.org/co/thread/84885482/#84885482
Titans Return (MtMtE 56 and TAAO 3): desuarchive.org/co/thread/85548432/#85548432

>Downloads
Action Man 3: mega.nz/#!6wpS0TKK!nggwqppHuaSK7aj30yiydXUAnSLoD_SLQgocPxWReOM
ROM 2: mega.nz/#!voBjwJYY!re1YKC6A1qhqSaUFuIG5ZtG06XjBKvCvR5l_968n68w

Starting with ROM #2

You are a God send, OP.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait till the next day in order to read these two.

>IDW storytimed
mmm, feel the change

No problem user, enjoy!

Been meaning to storytime some of the IDW comics for a while now, might do some of the older IDW Transformers comics once Revolution calms down.

I've never been into a single one of these series, though I did kind of like those live action GI Joe movies, mostly just the first one
Is this crossover a good place to start

>Action Man 3
And it's cancelled already! Barber's confirmed that it's only getting four issues, despite being a lot of fun.
Thanks, though, OP. I was planning on storytiming, but I'm just glad it's being done at all.

A couple of the series in this crossover only have a couple issues so you won't be missing massive amounts of information but the Transformers comics have been running for 10 years now - I would recommend starting those on "The Death of Optimus Prime" and continuing on with MtMtE and RiD (there is a reading guide somewhere if I can find it).

I hadn't heard about that. That's disappointing, this series has been really fun.

>Is this crossover a good place to start
I don't think any of us have a clue? IDW says it will make a good jumping on point so I say it's something for you to decide. Just fill yourself in on some of the background for each of the titles save for ROM, Micronauts, and Action man which have literally all just begun.

Transformers is what's going to slaughter you in the lore department.

>Transformers is what's going to slaughter you in the lore department.
As I said, the IDW Transformers universe has been going for 10 years now.

Most of the series have only just started, so yeah.
Brief summaries:
>Transformers: It's been going on since 2006, so sit this one out unless you want a complicated archive binge. All you really need to know is that Optimus Prime attempted to take the Earth "under his protection", without asking the humans if they wanted it.
>GI Joe: IDW Joe is kind of shit, but apparently the new series isn't going to be too deeply connected to it, and it's going to be a bit more sci-fi than the old series were. Isn't out yet, though.
>Action Man: Goofy sci-fi superhero James Bond. Too good to last, but apparently the character is sticking around in other books.
>ROM: Invasion of the Body Snatchers starring a knight from space. Reboot of the Marvel series without pretty much anything other than the title character. Getting an Inhumans-level push from IDW. Kind of ehh so far.
>Micronauts: Guardians of the Galaxy in a tiny collapsing universe. First issue was mediocre, subsequent ones have been fantastic.
>MASK: Hasn't been released yet, but the cartoon was shit and the comic's by the same guy who wrote an official Hot Rod hatefic for Transformers, so I don't have high hopes. Also Matt Tracker is black now if that sort of thing bothers you
Actually, OP, do you have the Revolution Prelude? That might be useful.

Is ROM having power issues?

Yep, I can post it after ROM

Letters

End of ROM, let me just sort the Prelude out

>IDW Joe is kind of shit

Only the 3rd and 4th volumes really. The first two were decent.

Okay, this issue was far more entertaining than issue #0 and #1.

Ugh, I wish the art was a little better though. It takes so much away from the story.

Ok, because an user requested it, here's the Road to Revolution comic AKA Revolution #0: Secret Raiders.

Thanks man.
This issue was a big step up. A lot like Micronauts #2, really. Rom's pretty loveable.

As a note, this prelude can be found at the end of all of the revolution comics releasing this month.

This art is pretty fantastic. Hope they keep him on for more stuff after Revolution.

You know IDW, they can't keep hiring a good artist but they're more than happy to keep on hiring Ramondelli.

>Our world trusted the Decepticons. And they betrayed us.
No shit. It's in the name.

>"Our world trusted the Decepticons and they betrayed us!"
Seeing how they tried to exterminate the human race only a few years ago, I don't understand why you would trust them in the first place?

Soundwave intentions were genuinely good though, poor kid.

>You know IDW, they can't keep hiring a good artist but they're more than happy to keep on hiring Ramondelli.
Want to know something tragic? This is actually a pretty consistent artist for IDW but they keep him on, wait for it...

Skylanders.

Pity they stopped hiring Sarah Stone. Her art was easily the best on the Transformers books.

I think they sided with them because Megatron had joined the Autobots.

Being Soundwave is suffering.

Anyway, that's the prelude onto Action Man #3 next.

Woops, forgot image!

Did they stop hiring her or was she just unavailable? I got the impression her loss wasn't intentional.

Sarah Stone is a good artist but I don't think she was able to keep up with the pace of drawing for monthly comics, the art in the first Windblade mini got kind of sketchy as it went on.

Now this doesn't make any sense.

>I think they sided with them because Megatron had joined the Autobots
Oh yeah. That's one of the first things Soundwave presented to them in his fit of bitterness towards "Autobot" Megs.

Still raises the question why they weren't mad at him in particular? He wasn't anywhere as destructive or murderous as Skywarp and the constructicons but he also wasn't an angel at the time.

Now onto Action Man #3.

Sad to hear this is being canceled, it's so fun!

The Constructicons were with the Autobots as well. Don't forget that when they had left Earth the Autobots had killed someone and cut all ties with any Earth government.

Still doesn't make sense to join forces with the Decepticons.

Oh, IDW is specialized in toy related product.
I didn't realize.

>implying GI Joe has toys
>implying Rom has toys
>implying Action Man has toys
>implying Micronauts has toys

Can't have a spy book without a double agent.

>Gay Nazi zombie scientists
Sure.

Oh, shit, Professor Gangrene?
Saw it coming, but man.

Think it's meant to be him.

Just you wait.

Or two.

Whaaaaaat

We Ace Ventura now.

And here's the checklist for all of the comics in Revolution, next week will be Micronauts #5 and exRiD #56.

>This is getting cancelled in one more issue.
RIGHT WHEN IT GETS GOOD TOO.

I hope Salmons is alive. I liked him.
Also, I want Bryce to stick around after this series because he's an enormous loveable cunt. Have him join GI Joe.

>this is being canceled

Already!? Is this selling THAT badly?

It makes me fear for ROM seeing how that actually just got fun. That and it's a major revival.

If things went down south for ROM, literally all they would have to do is hire an artist seeing how the story is still very "ROM" enough to appeal to the nostalgiafags. That being said this is IDW and IDW refuses to hire good artists.

>hire an artist
*hire a better artist.

It's never been on the top 350 Diamond comics at any point, apparently.
I guess the complete reboot nature coupled with the lack of brand recognition and the fact that it launched before Revolution didn't help.
>If things went down south for ROM, literally all they would have to do is hire an artist seeing how the story is still very "ROM" enough to appeal to the nostalgiafags.
I take it that you haven't visited any Rom fansites recently.

Thanks, OP.

>I take it that you haven't visited any Rom fansites recently
I felt most of their complaints were in regards to ROMS redesign rather than the storytelling. Most agreed that ROM still feels and acts like ROM. I read a couple of the old comics to see what it was like and so far, at least where we are with the IDW comics, it started off more or less the same with ROM randomly vaporizing "humans" on two occasions and meeting his female sidekick. Of course it's a little more modern with lack of narration in yellow boxes and all that.

People REALLY seemed to love his mittens though. I can understand that. The mittens were cute.

bumping for others.

OP, I do have a question. I read there is a Revolution Prelude #00 is this the same ?

Yup.

I know some old-school ROM fans would probably rage at me for saying this, but those space knights already look more memorable than the old ones ever did. The snake guy is especially great.

>I became one of the elite Space Knights tasked with protecting our worlds from the Wraiths.
>In large measure, we failed.
No wonder, when there's apparently a Dire Wraith sitting right there in the room with them in that panel. What's up with that?