Blue Beetle Rebirth Storytime

Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes!
The return of 2 great heroes!
The Rebirth of a Legacy!
Together they are the Blue Beetle!
Please don't be shit Giffen!

Also a reminder that Comixology has a BB sale on right now and are slowly getting the Ted Kord Wein solo

it looks like he's wearing flippers

Yeah, still not feeling Jaime's redesign, even when drawn by Cully

>tfw being told bless you heckles my autism too
its not even about the superstitious thing, I just don't fathom how going out of your way to acknowledge that someone sneezed is more polite that ignoring it.

probably had something to do with how kids would always get this dumb smug expression afterwards like they won a prize by saying it before anyone else did

These two quibble over shit like actual sibligs, I love it.

>that tongue on The Bug
kek

Being new costumed villain is lame. You either bust up joins, get betrayed during bank robbery or enroll in closest Hydra/Kobra chapter.

Interesting how Giffens telling the story in flashbacks like the 06 run. This feels like it should be issue #2, not the Rebirth issue

>those eyebrows and beard
Man this really is gonna be some magic shit

Oh hey its this moment from Rebirth

As neat as it is to see it play outi in both Rebirth and this, sucks the twist got spoiled

I loved his expression when he said "magic?" in Rebirth.

At least I thought they were telling his backstory through flashbacks? I remember someone suggesting this issue looked rushed and I think I know why

>BLUE BEETLE: REBIRTH #1
>Written by KEITH GIFFEN • Art and cover by SCOTT KOLINS • Variant cover by CULLY HAMNER
>Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. >Please see the order form for details.
>Lost in the desert with no memory of the past few years, teenager Jaime Reyes must find his way home again—but when he reaches his town, he’s shocked to find it abandoned and in the hands of government officials…officials who are very interested in the Blue Beetle and the scarab that gives him his power! How can Jaime find his family and uncover the secret behind the town’s seizure—and why Kord Industries is helping keep the world from learning the truth?
>On sale AUGUST 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

GIFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Please don't be a sign that Giffen is already losing it on this run

>BLUE BEETLE #1
>Written by KEITH GIFFEN
>Art and cover by SCOTT KOLINS
>Variant cover by CULLY HAMNER
>Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
>Jaime Reyes is back home, but just when he thought he had a grasp on this alter-ego, the Blue Beetle, he discovers everything he believed about his scarab is a lie according to the mysterious Doctor Fate. With dire warnings about the symbiote that is fused to Reyes’ spine, Kent Nelson, the original wielder of Doctor Fate’s power, seemingly on verge of insanity, has he come to save Jaime as he claims...or will he try to eliminate the Blue Beetle, no matter the cost?
>On sale SEPTEMBER 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Also I just realised there's a Monitor on this cover

Monitor or Dominator?

>BLUE BEETLE #2
>(W) Giffen (A/CA) Scott Kolins (CA) Cully Hamner
>As the mysterious underground force begins to gain in power, its minions gain in power as well, which means nothing but trouble for Jaime Reyes, who seems to be losing control of his Blue Beetle costume! It’s all happening right as Jaime was beginning to master it thanks to the help of his self-proclaimed “mentor,” billionaire industrialist Ted Kord, and the mysterious Doctor Fate, who seems to be the only person who understands how truly dangerous this force can be-not just to Jaime and his neighborhood, but to everyone living within a thousand miles of there.
>In Shops: Oct 26, 2016

Shit, Dominator

>BLUE BEETLE #3
>Written by KEITH GIFFEN
>Art and cover by SCOTT KOLINS
>Variant cover by CULLY HAMNER
>Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. >Please see the order form for details.
>“THE POSSE” part three! How do you defeat a foe with 150 bodies? Meet the hive mind called Horde, an entity that can summon a host of minions to overwhelm any foe. That’s not the sort of complication Jaime Reyes needs in his life as he continues to deal with his overbearing mentor, Ted Kord, and a new romantic interest.
>On sale NOVEMBER 23 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

>in the story we had to call
Ah reminds me of days long gone
I like it.

It took me until after i had read the comic to work out he was talking to ted.

Christ these people already annoy the hell out of me.

And im still not sure if its the beetle or the human who is talking from inside the bug.

>still no main cover for #2 yet
>"THE POSSE part three" out of nowhere
>no interviews with Giffen
Oh christ, Giffen, please don't be just throwing shit at a wall and hoping it sticks

>This feels like it should be issue #2, not the Rebirth issue
I agree

The Blue Beetle 06 supporting cast are the finest supporting cast in years.
Although it doesn't help that Giffen shoved them all into 4 pages without any introductions.

Wait what.
Its unfortunate to have a screw up like this when they so heavily advertised it or maybe thats why they did it they knew what they had was not quite right so there pushing it harder.
Still its a decent issue just does not really work as a rebirth and has a few rough edges

This. Love that series.
I wonder if Peacemaker will show up in this run?

>Giffen shoved them all into 4 pages without any introductions.
Not to mention spending 2 pages on that asinine argument.

where are the lewds of her?

All I want is for Jaime to call Ted by his first name. Do you think this will remain uncanceled long enough for their relationship to get to that point?

This sounds so much better than what we got. I'm sorry Sup Forums but this...is underwhelming. I'm giving it another issue though because Rebirth #1 have usually been meh.

Boooooooooo

Did anything important or interesting happen to Jaime after his New 52 run? I didn't keep up at all because it was so bad.
Wasn't blown away by Rebirth, but it set up the pieces and seems a lot more similar to the 2006 run, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

A good start! Giffen can't do wrong!

I-Is that Ted suited by and swinging down to help? I think when we actually get to that issue I'm legit gonna cry.

>The only Rebirth series I'm actually interested in
>It's shit
Goddamn it, Giffen, you stupid bastard.

asian?

blue eyes?

>Kolins acknowledged that its different by liking a tweet pointing it out
>doesn't explain
Damn it

Hispanic

they why do the girl and mother have blue eyes.

that's clearly blue

Lot of Bendis speak

Its rare but it can happen.

People forget it took like 2 full arcs for Blue Beetle to get going in the 06 run.

This is the same conversation they had back in 2006 isn't it? If not, I am having the weirdest sense of deja vu right now.

>implying Giffen devised some sort of proto-Bendisspeak earlier in his career

Rebirth storytimes for this week to go:
>Batgirl #2
>The Hellblazer #1
>Titans #2

>>Batgirl #2
>>The Hellblazer #1
>>Titans #2
All decent issues i really should go to bed but i want to be there for those storytimes

I want to know why to

>Mexican Family In America

This could have been better, I don't imagine you'll enjoy this if you don't have any prior attachment to the characters

The only thing I can think is that it got bumped to being the second arc so that this can start in the action and then make you want to find out what happened

What said is completely right, if I didnt likTed and Jaime already this'd be entirely uninteresting

SAVE US JOHN ROGERS

Hispanics in the Southwest are commonly mixed European/Amerindian, they can have blue eyes

Its not rare, Hispanics also have European descent. Several friends of mine have green eyes and they are Hispanic.

In fact you'd be surprised how many are naturally blonde with white skin. I myself am 6"4 and white, people don't realize I'm first generation. Most TV Hispanics that can pass for white opt to change their names to be more marketable.

You gotta go, back. You gotta go.

I love the way Kob has made this look. Hyped.

Oh god. It's JLI all over again.
I LOVE IT!

does that tagline mean that cyborg literally isnt even a cyborg anymore? just an android?

i fucking hate that girl. fuck you hes being nice you bitch youre lucky anyone said anything to your rude ass

Brenda has always been a tsundere, this is nothing new. She'll "accidentally" fall into Pacos big bear arms soon enough

Nigger

I've been dreading the day someone would make this complaint. It's why I've started saying gesundheit instead.

people getting rustled by "bless you/god bless you" just really rustles me

Holy shit she sucks!

Doesn't that mean god bless you in German?

No, you dumb American. It means "health".

I'm a dumb CANADIAN, thank you!

Yeah thats probably it they panicked for some reason and threw us right into the action.
And boy has it backfired.

>Jaime saying a cuss

dropped

It seems fine to me, just not particularly introductory.

They've rebirthed this guy three times so far in a very short amount of time

Did they at least fix his origin this time around to be more like his original story, after they realized why people didn't like his second retelling?

Original story was a subversion, classic tropes get inverted, hero tells his family the truth right away and they're in on it and it becomes a support system unlike other heroes. Retelling became a subversion of the subversion that they thought was clever, but was literally the trope played normally. There were other things the original story subverted as well, like that dentist moment. The New 52 reboot failed because it wasn't fresh, it wasn't new, it didn't have the personality of the original. It was inline with normal tropes and robbed of some of the personality of the original.

I can't tell where we are now from reading this.

Thanks, OP.

I get that the spikey bubbles are Ted over comm, but what are the colored panels supposed to be, they're both blue so I don't know which is Jamie.

>Peacemaker
I would cum

Light blue is Jaime

bump

Holy shit, is that the second Batman from Justice League 3001?

>Wein
Ew.

God fucking damn Giffen is just a constant stream of fuckup.

Giffen writes some insufferable females lately.

I... dont know what to think about this. I'll stick around but this issue didnt grab me.

That wasn't too new reader friendly, like I understood what was being presented to me, but I didn't really understand why I should care or what appeal this title has in store for me.

So how was it?

It's a meme, people don't even know why they do it anymore.
I say gesundheit just because it's a funny word.

Mediocre

concerning

>Heart condition jokes
Kek, this shit will never end, and will never be less funny.