Joss Whedon says Buffy cast "should have been more diverse"

>independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/joss-whedon-admits-diversity-was-lacking-on-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-on-shows-20th-anniversary-35521856.html

>Joss Whedon admits diversity was 'lacking' on Buffy The Vampire Slayer

>Buffy The Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon has admitted he feels he did not do enough to represent diversity on the show.

>Speaking on the cult teen series' 20th anniversary, he said he "missed some of the point" when it came to hiring cast and crew of mixed genders and ethnic backgrounds.

>He told The Hollywood Reporter: "I was definitely unaware of how things affected people, how representation was lacking.

>"I didn't help out. I didn't make a point of hiring female directors, I didn't make a point of hiring people of colour, I didn't think it through past where I had gotten."

>Describing himself as "of a certain era," he added that he "didn't have the bandwidth to care about humans" at the time

What would the cast look like in the reboot?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ehNW5ZpoK60
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's weird how much I detest a man who's made so many shows I've enjoyed.

I agree they would make Giles, her mentor/father figure black in 2017. Especially since he is British and any British character with an English accent is played by a black person in the current year.

I really feel like one hundred percent Spike would be black as well though since he is a love interest.

>I didn't make a point of hiring people of colour

Oh no, he didn't force diversity! What a monster!!!

Same
On one side he's a genius.
On the other, a nu-male beta cunt and an SJW hack that gives you more that one reason to hate him.
Agree, Spike is too Aryan to be a love interest, that shit is just wrong today.

my reasoning as well

It was 1997, the country was still overwhelmingly white. Basically where the UK is in 2017.

It's not that common to like somebody's work but hate their politics. Think of all the Jews who liked Braveheart.

Idris Elba as buffy

He better apologize for the lack of diversity in his Much Ado About Nothing! But since that was shot in his actual home he was probably didn't want to risk letting blacks in.

>he added that he "didn't have the bandwidth to care about humans" at the time
That explains why he blamed Alien Resurrection on everyone but himself.

>people of colour

The show would've tanked if it was more diverse or anywhere close to majority diverse.

I mean, what's he supposed to say in Current Year, "White was right?"

There is no way in hell they would let a white Buffy have THREE white love interests over the course of the show. In 2017, not a fucking chance. No way. That would practically be a hate crime at this point.

Angel they would keep white as the bait and switch and quickly kill him off again in the season one finale.
Riley would be latino.
Spike would be black.

Ah nice, Riley the immigrant who signed up for the service as a way of becoming a US citizen. Hard to pick Spike or Angel being black since they both have abusive streaks and came close to raping her. There would have to be a lot of changes.

So which cast members are disposable enough to be replaced by Tyrone and Inshallahia?

Angel would be the white abuser/rapist setting her up to fall into the arms of good guy Latino Riley and finally into the arms of good guy Black Spike.

Willow would straight be a Muslim with a headscarf 2017. Not even joking. Not a fucking doubt in my mind.

>Joss Whedon says Buffy cast "should have been more diverse"
What this means is
>Joss Wheon says Buffy cast "would have been more diverse if it was made today because I am a man with no vision and just a victim of the cultural trends"

>Practically invents the BLACK'D meme on popular tv shows just to spite his audience and be a hack that cannot even get his own storytelling right.
>Gives the world the most iconic stromk womyn of the time that for some reason everyone seems to forget existed before the great era of SJWing
>Still cries about not being SJW enough
Pottery

How much has he cried this year?

So cucked it hurt

What about Tara? Would they go the lesbian/LGBT muslim angle or would they be afraid of offending them?

Oh fuck off Joss. Jesus christ, this guy has been nothing but dull since he drank the SJW Kool Aid.

>having too many white people is bad

this is getting ridiculous

I think they would go Muslim/Lesbian route to say they are pushing boundaries.

At one point they would have conflict with her strict Muslim family when her dad and brothers show up to put and end to this sorcery and homosexuality nonsense but the diverse-Scooby's would save her showing that #NotAllMuslims are anti-homosexuality and Islam is actually a religion of tolerance, acceptance, and peace. Buffy would probably have a "People like you give other Muslims a bad name!" line, etc.

Three of the guys were push overs. Xander, Seth Green and old man were lamewads.
Spike and Angel were the only dudes who got to be men. But they were just sexy vampire for girls to flick it to. Plus they were told to fuck off and get their own show.

Jesus I can actually see this happening.

People only liked his shows because of the waifus. Nobody gives a shit about his opinions

I think it's weird he takes no lessons from his own work.
youtube.com/watch?v=ehNW5ZpoK60

Ditto.

>last thing we heard from joss is the angry screeching of sjws about the age of ultron movie.

>joss whedon is coming back in a seriously apologetic way guys.

With...Reshoots on Justice league and Batgirl. BATGIRL?!

its because most of his own works have been a group effort, some of them with a company he founded and people he hired specifically for the purpose to make things he creates better than he would on his own

You know

Has anyone asked what they mean by diversity

The West was a lot whiter back then

Spike was a bitch

Neo-leftism is a mental illness

Reciting the shahada would be more effective against vampires than limp, Caucasian, crucifixes.

The marxists want to pretend that the non-whites were always here
When in reality it started in the lifetimes of our parents

Every single one of these people view their work/art as a vehicle for pushing the marxist agenda

I live in a mixed area, but friend-circles are still VERY heavily tilted to one race.
Go to some of the big university cities, the students are from all over the fucking world, but they still largely group by race.
Diverse casts are fucking fantasy, dragons are more plausible.

>that uneven donation at the end

did he empty his bank account?

It would be;

>Angel - stays white, hard to do Irish backstory without it. A little more menacing and little more rapey even when in non-Angelus mode.
>Willow - Muslim with headscarf, strict Saudi Arabian family, proud lesbian
>Xander - Latino, but 'white' latino
>Giles - Black. Reserved and educated. Probably unironically would literally be Elba
>Cordilia - stays white, even more bitchy, self-centered and dumb
>Riley - Latino, but 'dark' latino. Signed up with the military for citizenship, brave and valiant
>Dawn - stays white
>Tara - stays white, slightly fatter
>Anya - stays white
>Oz - stays white, a little more threatening and feral
>Faith - I would like to say they make her Asian because I think that would work great and she would be hot, but no, she would be latino, her crime backstory would have been because of racism against latinos by white police who framed her
>Spike - Black, no longer English backstory. Grew up in Africa. Was sold into the slave trade by British slavers and ended up getting bit and turned by Angelus when he massacred the crew of the ship. Later was trapped into slavery again and traveled over to America in chains in the belly of a slave-ship being whipped and jeered at by brutish white slavers. Forced to work on plantation at night by a dark-arts using slave owner who knows he is a vampire. Beaten and tortured by cruel white plantation owners. Escapes a few times but is caught and lynched by vicious white Americans but doesn't die due. Tries to help fellow slaves numerous times but they are always killed by laughing whites. Ends up running the underground railroad at night, until cruel whites kill the people he was protecting. Despite all this tries to forgive whites and is present throughout american history at most of the big civil rights moments and marches, helps MLK, helps Malcom X, marches in Selma, ends up in Sunnydale organizing a BLM march and meets Buffy and falls in love with her after stopping Angel from raping her

Literally yes, he even admitted he did.

I didn't think I could love the don more.

Less white people

All politics aside, it's pretty shitty to say you'd have dropped the people you worked with to fulfill a stupid fucking quota, like none of those people meant shit to you.

What about Angel? That was pretty diverse. There was a black guy in it.

Why couldn't he just say that that shit wasn't in the public discourse back then? Every second show in 1999 had almost no black people. He was doing well for women, he should stop being a cuck and stop apologising for not being even more progressive than he already was.

Didn't Tara basically have that episode already, with a domestic violence metaphor?

Yeah, that's where I stole it from.

I mean, excuse me, I used it as a homage to the previous show.

Nice to see its been updated from its previous, privileged depiction user. White people don't have problems.

Fuck off reddit

Yeah it needed an update for 2017.

We don't dwell on "White People Problems" these days unless it's an episode where a white person has trouble figuring out how to spend all the royalties he gets from ripping off the genius scientific innovations of non-white civilizations that whites stole, or perhaps an episode where a white is driving his Mercedes SUV back to his mansion but has a crisis because he sees a black and Latino on the road but only has time to run over one and so is faced with a difficult choice.

Spike wouldnt be black. Zander would be.

There is no way a white heroine has three white love interests over the course of a series. Not in the year or our lord 2017. If you make Spike white then that means even if you make Riley black or latino then two out of her three romances would be with white males since Angel is white. That is absolutely haram. It's one out of three tops, even one is pushing it.

the fuck is this in some JL trailer

i haven't seen any of the JL trailers or teasures

goddamn they fucked up batfleck

Jesus so we're going for reverse outrage now about shows made 20 years ago?

>Cuck Whedon forgets that he wrote a Jamaican Vampire Slayer in the second season
Surprise surprise

The entire SJW industry is based on reverse outrage.

jesus christ, this. Every tweet by this fatass makes firefly retroactively worse.

spike and angel would be black as they both fucked buffy

Underrated boast

>>Angel - stays white, hard to do Irish backstory without it

lol?

My favorite black tv actress desu. She's a qt.

(unironically watched all these shows she's been in)

>mfw I add more diversity with a black Mormon, a well spoken conservative with a stable family, and a 10/10 muslim lesbian mechanic who wears Warehouse 13 goggles, but I riddle her plots with subtle digs at everything she does

Hes not a genius, he writes and directs disposable pop art that no one will remember in a few decades. I met him in Chicago in 2001 he's a cunt in person

I already loved the shows of Joss Whedon for their feminist themes and deep plots.

I like to see him say which of his actors he would've cut in favor of non-whites. Show some backbone for once.

Like how? Interesting cunt or jejune?

he acted exactly
How he looks

The dates aren't in order.

uderrated

>how representation was lacking
except it wasn't back then

no one gave a shit and SJW and the likes didn't even exist. How fucking dumb can a person get

They turn on you instantly.

yeah they're all jewish puppets ;___;

always haha, they always turn on the people they trick into working for their ideals

this is why buffy is good though...

fpbp

>ywn see SMG and Hannigan do blacked.com while in their prime

I'm sick of the diversity meme. Not every local highschool has a perfect mix of blacks, whites, asians, indians, native americans, pacific islanders, australian aborigines, peruvian natives, and ainu from northern japan. Some schools are 99% white. Some are 85% black. It happens. Deal with it.

mate, anthony head was great, the show really suffers from his absence in the later seasons.

>Describing himself as "of a certain era,"

The amazing era between racism against black and racism against whites, when everything was truly equal. But, no, thats racist, it's much better to hire people because of their color/sex instead of their talent. True equality is being biased against white males!

Yeah, it was a noticeable drop after he left. Did set up a great return scene to fight Dark Phoenix Willow though.

Of course he fucking said that, is anyone surprised?

>they would probably have Boyega play wesley
triggered

Sensitive
Joss
Whedon

Damn, that version of Xander would be fucking Buffy every single episode, you just know

He's been getting worse over the years.

>David Boreanaz
Italians aren't white

make the mc black with a meme afro then you'll have true diversity™

If they made her black they would have to make Spike and Angel white again.

>"didnt have the bandwidth to care about humans"

that sounds like something bender would say. Is Joss really a robot out to take his revenge for being redundant via shit movies and tv?

hes a sjw-bot

To be fair, for its So Cal setting, Sunnydale should have had more Hispanics.

hot damn
black dont crack

>Tara - stays white, slightly fatter
they'll go full health at every size and make her legit fat or even obese and also might make her convert if willow is a muslim? so an obese lesbian muslim witch

Honestly, this. Blacks hang with blacks, whites with whites, latinos with latinos.

Sure, there is some intermingling, but as far as BFFs go, as Buffy, Will and Xander were supposed to be, they'd all be white or not. Since Buffy is a subversion of the pretty middle class white teen that dies in an alley trope, you can't make her anything else and retain the point.