What went wrong? How did Jackson go from the LotR to the Hobbit?

What went wrong? How did Jackson go from the LotR to the Hobbit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SQkygZdZ_Vk
youtube.com/watch?v=BYUY3i9TamY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lack of passion, planning and motivation
LotR was a passionate project he enjoyed making, while the hobbit was treated as the usual rushed blockbuster moneymaking garbage

It's tragic. The Lucas syndrome.

Lord of the Rings had three and a half years of pre-production. Every second of footage was meticulously planned years in advance

The Hobbit had six months of pre-production and in that six months the whole thing was scrapped and started from scratch again at least twice. There was no time to properly plan it so it ended up as a haphazard mess. It's a miracle that the first one was any good at all.

How? One of the main reasons Lucas went downhill

>CGI

Pretty much this This video may be kind of painful to watch, but it will make you understand

youtu.be/SQkygZdZ_Vk

I wish we could get more Lurtz lore but he is dead.

>thumbnail
woops

Am I supposed to get something from this image?

proves planning is everything. Hobbit was rushed as fuck.

No proper pre-production. Hobbit was a clusterfuck.

Came here to post this.

And a third of the way done when Jackson took over Del Toro's mess.

It should have been two movies instead of three, and it's that simple. They could have devoted more time to the overall quality. In the end it probably would have made the second movie gross more than all three did, in this case combined. Pure speculation I guess, whatever.

So why did he decide to make three movies instead of just two?

That's what I'm wondering as well.

yeah after Del Toro dropped out Warner Bros was basically like if you don't direct this we're giving it to someone else and he was like well you need to give me more time for pre-production I have literally less than a year thats almost impossible and then Warner Bros said they were going to get Brett Ratner to direct it then and so Jackson could either watch The Hobbit get raped completely or he could attempt to do what he could with the time he had. And this was when it was only 2 movies, so halfway through the production Warner Bros changes it to 3 and Jackson (while in the middle of filming) has to go and then rewrite the last movie into 2 and start adding shit.

Then the movies turn out horribly and he gets all the blame. He definitely made stupid decisions but its all really Warner Bros' fault for being greedy idiots that refused to spend money on preproduction. Just look at what Jackson looked like in the image they released when filming started of him in Bag End and what he looked like when the third one was released. He looks like he aged 20 years and gained at least 100 pounds.

>tfw his legacy was ruined because he prevented us from getting so much worse but the general public has no idea and thinks he just turned into George Lucas.

I still think that MGM doesn't get enough blame.

Their financial issues was the reason why the movie got delayed so much and even when they were about to go bankrupt they refused to give the rights of the book to New Line/WB.

Money and dumb executives/investors.

Didn't New Line force Jackson to do 3?

He dug too greedily and too deep.

they made three movies to save the third one, thats my guess. They decided to stretch it into three movies after they finished principal photography, and i guess they saw how bad the last movie would be. The reshoots they did were primarily for the second instalment, i guess they wanted to buy more time to prep that battle. In general , Peter Jackson started out with good intensions (all Goblins were real with animatronic masks, all scenes with Azog and Bolg were in costume too, but because of the lacking preparation and screentests they didnt seem to fit in the movie, they even started to make a miniature of Rivendell but gave up on that).

Guillermo Del Torro spent 18 months designing and making shit then quit. Then Jackson had to take over, with no possibility of getting those 18 months of pre-production time. It isn't his fault, it's the fault of Del Torro and the fucking studio for forcing it out in no time. Just watch the behind the scenes from The Hobbit, literally everyone thinks they're making a piece of garbage, Jackson included

The problem in special effects, I think went on in post-production. It's become a trend to "touch-up" animatronics with CGI. Thing is, CGI companies are getting paid less and less and a way of padding the bill is to require post-production on practical effects. It's like the plumber convincing you that you need a new faucet when you hired him to install a garbage disposal.

Well shit, that pretty much explains everything, doesn't it?

>tfw I made entire miniature battle of the little bighorn in the 7th grade for a school project

It's a lot easier to do that shit than people think. That was a big hobby of mine as a kid but there's an entire fucking sub-section of people that do that kind of shit for fun.

Surely, they could have even gotten volunteers to help but I doubt they were thinking ahead at all.

>reminder of the size and detail of the miniatures in LOTR compared to a typical 7th grade school project miniature
youtube.com/watch?v=BYUY3i9TamY

I used to use my own hair, shave it down and paint it to make sage brush nigga. Or those little tiny bunkers I used to build complete with tiny beds, traps and other shit.

I'm certain, now that I could at least equal those miniatures. I used to do that shit like a fiend. The guys that work in the field of filmmaking are basically the same as a very devoted hobbyist that gets access to a lot more money's worth of materials.

Thing is, I'm a carpenter/contractor now. You just start to love building shit.