Doug Liman to Direct ‘Dark Universe’ for DC, Warner Bros

>Doug Liman is set to direct the Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment adaptation of “Dark Universe” — a.k.a., “Justice League Dark.”

>Warner Bros. had no comment.

>While plot details are being kept under wraps, the story revolves around a dark Justice League team that consists of Det. John Constantine, Swamp Thing, Deadman, Zatanna and Etrigan the Demon.

>The film is an ensemble focused which speaks to one of his early hits “Go”, which dealt with a similar ensemble. The film will play a major role in the new D.C. Cinematic Universe.

>Del Toro was originally attached to direct, but the project was shelved as the helmer was sidetracked by other projects. Rudin came on board as producer last year, giving new life to the property.

variety.com/2016/film/news/doug-liman-justice-league-dark-dc-warner-bros-1201838857/

Poor Gambit.

Huh. So they are moving ahead with it. I like Liman. He did Swingers, Bourne Identity and Edge of Tomorrow. Hopefully it turns out well.

Please don't fuck this up WB...

I have fear for this... May God have mercy on this

Well we're never getting this costume for Zatanna so Im already disappointed

I don't think it's impossible. If Harley Quinn can wear booty shorts and bracelets that say "yes sir" then I don't see the problem with Zatanna's outfit.

JLD is a dumb concept name just call it shadowpact or night line

Not if Dini has something to say about it. I don't think he will accept WB fucking up his waifu

>The film will play a major role in the new D.C. Cinematic Universe.
Wait, there isn't going to be a Vertigo division like what was rumored before? We're going to make Constantine, Swamp Thing, Deadman Zatanna and Etrigan as cannon in the DC Films universe? Fucking awesome.

>The Bourne Identity
>Edge of Tomorrow
hey, i liked those

Neat i hope its good one of the few things suicide squad got right is it treated magic with respect.

while suicide squad was a long shot that had really obscure characters
WB peppered in Joker and Batman to sell the movie

With JLD you have nothing nothing
not even the name Justice League is a proven sell yet.

JLD doesn't really count as Vertigo does it?

She wore a magician getup in Smallville, it's not too crazy

I know shazam was not originally going to be apart of it but now with the shaky ground WB is on everything needs to be connected to sell these movies.

There was rumor that Vertigo had been moved to WB's New Line division to be worked on as a separate franchise that'd contain many of the darker and magic based characters like Constantine and Swamp Thing that had traditionally been on that DC/Vertigo edge.

>shazam was not originally going to be apart of it
It was. It's just that since New Line is the one in charge of it and they said he (the character) won't be in 'Justice League' some people took that to mean it would be a different universe.

Oh, I didn't know Constantine and Swamp Thing were still part of it, I thought it would just be Sandman and 100 Bullets and whatnot.

Im expecting more the lines of this costume. For me shes not Zatanna without that classic magician getup (hat, bow tie, wand)

SJWs cried over the over sexualization of that shit user and I agreed , I won't recommend holding your breath.

>directed Edge of Tomorrow
>directing Edge of Tomorrow 2
>directing American Made
Tom Cruise as Constantine confirmed

This is my favorite Zatanna outfit tbqh.

I would be surprised if she never showed up on CW Supergirl in tails

I guess it could be, though that one is close enough thematically not to bother me.

It's tied with the magician get up for me desu so I wouldn't be anger about getting that pic

>With JLD you have nothing nothing

It'll have star power, if Scott Rudin has his way

>Colin Farrell as John Constantine
>Ewan McGregor as Jason Blood
>Monica Bellucci as Madama Xanadu
>Ron Perlman as Swamp Thing
>Ben Mendehlson as Anton Arcana
>From producer Guillermo Del Toro

The Hype is being created as we speak

Now to get roles and everything will be fine.

Top hat or bust

Why not Top Hat AND Bust?

Surely this won't get butchered by executives in the editing room

>Del Toro
>Liman is a good producer
>Little to no involvement from Zack Snyder

I have a twinge of hope.

>Colin Farrell as John Constantine
ewww

>implying Sudoku Squadron wasn't bad before it made it through editing

What is that, the stench of disappointment?

Some people say it was mentioned in some leaks. What leaks are they talking about ?

He'd be pretty good, you plebeian.

Probably the Reddit one

Reread, user. Del Toro is out completely. Liman is directing, not producing.

So, the thing that was posted yesterday ? Any links user ?

Man, it makes me sad that Matt Ryan won't be playing John.

I read the leaks, it wasn't.

He's playing ol Con-Job in the animated movie

Thanks Sup Forumsmblr

Yeah, I'm glad he's staying with the character in some way, at least, but he was so good in the show it makes me sad he won't get to play him in a live-action movie.

there were already rumors about him a couple of months ago that he's in justice league movie. why would Constantine be in a justice league movie? but maybe it's about another that thing liman is working on. also rumors about him as constantine are from another year

Del Toro said a while back he'd consider casting Matt Ryan, but he isn't directing anymore so it probably won't happen.

Where is this confirmed? They're keeping him around for the DTV at least

Del Toro still might end up being a producer. It's still his treatment/script/idea that got this going.

Wasn't that before he was 'absorbed' into the CW Universe?
I think there was a chance if 'Constantine' stayed stand-alone but since now it's connected to the CWU it's pretty much dead.

Those weren't rumors, it was blatant falsification.

are you shocked? del taco has more "in development" projects, than ACTUAL finished projects. him dropping out was 100% inevitable

It wasn't outright confirmed but since he's part of the TV shows there's pretty much no chance of him also being in the movies.

Why you are complaining about sexualization on character that is 50% about her sex appeal?

I think the TV show getting cancelled relatively quickly might change that unless they have more Arrow appearances planned. Suppose we'll find out eventually though.

It just seems different when there isn't a show running concurrently that could cause brand confusion.

actually Variety has Del Toro as producer and writer

>Scott Rudin producing

Go look at his producing credits. Hes going to keep WB at bay.

matt ryan will be busy being felicity fuccboi, get ready, constantine will be just as annoying as merlyn on arrow

Yeah, I hope that's the case.

It's just the fact that he's now part of that universe that causes doubts for me.

>JLD dumb concept name
>shadowpact or nightline

it's not gonna happen man
it's just, normies are so fucking dumb. you can't have one actor appearing in a tv show and then a movie playing the same role. people are so fucking dumb, they think the nolan trilogy is somehow related to the snyderverse. execs know this, matt ryan is not gonna show up in the movie, amell, gustin, forget it man. EBR might appear though, get ready for EBR as Batgirl

Zattana is like just shy of a-list

I feel that gets thrown out the wondow when you have the enchantress as a suicide squad villan.

Fuck you user i spat out my sprite in laughter.

RIP Gambit

You were too good for this world

Im pretty hopeful about that movie i just hope they dont go overboard on john in combat and they scale back on there plans for runes they look nice but it seems there going to overuse them

>Dark Universe
>Justice League Dark

Both shit

Think of a better title someone

my god, youre all fucking fags, so much bitching..

All the " leaks" were saying it was shelved

it's gonna happen sooner or later
they will probably ask brett ratner to come back

When do they even release this, this is the third movie unofficially announced this year.

>harley spin off
>man of steel 2
>jl dark

Gambit died the minute they revealed the concept art

Paul Dini has absolutely no say in it

No, they're obviously not off to the flying start they hoped for, this is realistically the second attempt at starting a connected super-franchise (after Green Lantern bombed) just this decade; they did try in the last decade but there were two or three points at which they just couldn't get things off the ground. Someone else had to prove it was possible before anybody would fund attempts by WB to do the same thing

Having something else - which can appeal to the same audiences who apparently want dark, gritty superhero movies, but theoretically won't turn away audiences who are just kind of sick of Batman/Superman and/or seeing those characters reinvented.... it was always going to happen. Eventually Affleck will kill himself or the estate of Bob Kane will sue for ownership of the Batman rights or whatever. Better to have more options ready to go by then - these things have a very long lead time, as the history of this project proves

There's still no guarantee it's going to get made, this is the second director the project has had

New Line is really just a banner these days anyway. Everything is ultimately Warner Bros. there

Depends whether they got letters when that episode aired

>harley spin off

hard sell, almost guaranteed to gross less, won't happen unless SS2 makes a lot of money

>man of steel 2

not happening, pegged for post 2020

>jl dark

probably not happening, WB might be in panic mode because everything they've got set up for the next five years looks like ass

Zoey Kravitz for Zatanna. And Lenny Kravitz for Zatara.

You have no idea how much you wanted this until now.

There's no Harley Quinn spin-off in development, just Margot Robbie pitching it to studio executives.

>this is the second director the project has had

It's actually only the first. Del Toro was never attached to direct, it was just an idea he had and wrote a treatment for it. He was never going to direct.

>Shadowpact
>Nightline
>Better names than Justice League Dark

But Lenny Kravitz is creepy as fuck.

>Det. John Constantine

Conjob as a cop? I'm almost curious

>Det. John Constantine

We need to stop pushing John as Harry Dresden. It's part of the reason he's so fucking bland these days.

I'd literally prefer she wore this one to that one. There's no personality at all to that costume. Tails and Top Hat or bust.

You know which other superhero movie has had a second director, Gambit, in fact the next one to come will be the third.

This is just worts than the development hell of deadpool.

I'm kind of glad. He's servicable as cable-TV Constantine, but I really doubt he has the chops for the real meaty character bits that John's journey has.

Fuck i want a zatanna/zattara team up film that ends in zattaras death before we have jld.

Im pretty sure its just a typo or something.

I would totaly read that in an elseworlds though i just dont want it in film.

Why not make a Constantine or Swamp Thing horror movie instead of turning magic characters into cape movies? Why not a trenchcoat brigade movie?

>Shitting on based Shadowpact

>Swamp Thing

He should get a solo movie

He already did, user.

he got two

He's a really good actor, royal shakespeare group, so he's already on a similar level to the acting capability of the current DC movie actors.

That said, it absolutely won't be him. Having been in Arrow probably destroyed his chances. Furthermore, since he'll probably be the central character and a key marketing point, they'll want a recognisable actor in the role, much like they did with Will Smith as Deadshot.

But a modern one with the current CGI could be awesome, even Oscar-worthy.

Like imagine the lifelike chi from the tiger from Life of Pi but on Swamp Thing.

Honestly? I have faith that they'll do it.

They've been surprisingly faithful with the costumes so far. Honestly my one real praise for the DCEU thus far has been that they've been pretty good with the costume design and getting everyone's looks right. I still think Superman is kind of hit and miss and Cyborg looks like fucking garbage, but it's otherwise been pretty damn good.

Knowing WB, they'll probably screw up about a dozen other things though.

>even Oscar-worthy.

Stop.

Don't do this to yourself.

But Avatar was nominated for an Oscar.

The movie was before alan Moore's Swamp thing.

Do you think they'll have the balls to go for an r-rating with this one?

Let's face it, having Constantine smoke is probably warrant enough with the MPAA to have the film rated R

Yeah this is cool but i wanted to see the Gambit movie too

*cgi

>current CGI

Have you seen the CGI test?