JSA Storytime: Batman and the Outsiders

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

Let's try this without the 'falling asleep' thing, tonight

HI OP

PRAISE BE TO PRIEST

deathstroke was gay

Sorry about that last night. Got home, intended nap...woke up at 10 PM...

oh my god, it's so good, and maybe intentionally gay

The best page among many fantastic pages. Old guy love is best love.

makes me hope that joey will be full gay

Deathstroke was great and gay again
Blue Beetle has me worried Giffens continuing his JL3K1 ways. Ill keep reading for now but that solicit stuff aint looking good

Oh man, Adeline is pretty fierce, too

I hope she's still alive, she's too good to waste

i picked up the BB variant signed, but I haven't read it yet. Heard v. positive things about how DC is running at the present.

Fucking Youngblood owls

HOOT HOOT

I want to fuck Slade

I'm sure other stuff came out today, but that's all I remember

It's the little things, like Adeline being fucking intense, Slade mostly not wearing the mask, plenty of banter with Wintergreen, the kids having defined personalities even in like two panels.

Mr. Stroke feels completely different than his bad comics, but nothing actually changed. Shit's just being used as it is and always has been!

that's just good taste although you know he's bad for you

If so this is the one misstep I hope they clear up. The August solicit was completely different to what we got today and this issue felt like a #5 or something, not an introductory arc at all like we were promised, just like how JL3K1 was completely different to its solicits.

I wasn't crazy about BB, I found the dialogue kind of wearing honestly. It doesn't match up to the solicits - seems more like the issue #2 solicit.

I love that they're both such completely awful parents

>that Robinface

Let her die, Brion. It's for the greater good.

Why were teenagers' hairstyles so shitty in the 80's?

>in the 80's

no need to qualify that

fashion was pretty shitty in the 80s, I remember it

Like one user said
>Its not bad at all but
>completely skipping over any character introductions or expects you to have read 06 Beetle
>Clear meddling behind the scenes by Giffen or Editorial
>entire introductory arc has been cancelled or moved till later with no warning
>solicits are a mess with missing covers and arcs only being revealed 3 parts in
>art looks rushed because of this

>As far as Rebirth issues go, they're meant to gently introduce you to the status quo. This just through us in 10 issues later with no hint of them exploring what happened to get to this point.
>Strangest part is that Johns went out of his way to tell Priest to do an introductory and establishing arc for Deathstroke and bump his original first arc up. This seems to be the opposite were we're completely skipping over the introduction that we were meant to be gettin

Did we just jump into the second part of a crossover?

Hello Storyteller.

Y'know, I keep trying to say that DC ought to play up Donna's anomalous nature, but it's kinda funny how that seems to be what Rucka's doing with Diana.

By the way, The Lies is finally going somewhere. With possible Checkmate shenanigans even.

I hate most of the Rebirth issues desu. The Deathstroke one was alright.

Garth Ennis' Unapologetic Team Diversity, ya'll.

The Ennis approach of deliberately writing Starfire in Lovecraft quotes instead of using her actual personality (that doesn't really play well against the intentions of that scene) was genius

Speaking of Blue Beetle, I liked that one anons suggestion that Parker Industries is just Slotts excuse to write a Ted Kord ongoing for awhile

I gather Sasha showed up today?

MY BAD

I enjoyed Peej giving a peptalk to Guts.

Which one of you faggots bought this shit? What extra content is there? Please post screenshots.

Dick's problem with being Robin before quitting was wonderfully meta in precrisis.
Apparently Wolfman and Perez were really annoyed when Dick's personal backups/stories/whatever were cancelled and he went back to being just Robin in Batman and 'Tec all while he was being actually useful in NTT, but they couldn't really do anything about it. So they made a new one and made Dick not Robin anymore.

>completely skipping over any character introductions or expects you to have read 06 Beetle
Nothing wrong with this. I didn't read the 06 Beetle but I think the intro to the characters in this was fine. But iirc they didn't use some of their names, and that was definitely a misstep.

>As far as Rebirth issues go, they're meant to gently introduce you to the status quo. This just through us in 10 issues later with no hint of them exploring what happened to get to this point.
Good. The Rebirth issues have not been good on the whole. Besides this I only enjoyed the Green Arrow and Deathstroke ones.

I nearly cried laughing at ZOMBIE NIGHT AT THE PETTING ZOO, and the pisstake on Events

Six Pack is Ambush Bug for the Now

>Batman: Daddy Taskmaster

These threads always make me feel so young :)

>WINTERGREEN: Stroke, what's up? Why are you naked? I know there's a "NAKED" option under "UNIFORM" that lets you take off the upper part of your uniform. But without a shirt on, your camouflage sucks, and your stamina goes down faster. You don't get any advantages whatsoever.
>NAKED STROKE: Sure there are.
>WINTERGREEN: Like what?
>NAKED STROKE: It feels good.

Is there a more disappointing Rebirth book than Wonder Woman? This might read better in trade, but that's not an excuse for a periodical. And even with "The Lies" he seems to be ignoring Azz WW in those fragmented "flashback" scenes. Or maybe I missed one referencing Azz wondy.

I liked the Aquaman one

>I gather Sasha showed up today?
Yep. She's being controlled(?) by someone talking to her with this floating metal ball thing. Is that a thing from Checkmate? Because Sasha refers to it as "Doctor". I hope it's Dr. Cyber.

One of the covers for Wonder Woman has a thing that could be Dr Cyber

Greg Rucka will erase even the name of Azz from the earth.

I'm not a big WW reader, but yeah. I don't really care for Cheetah mythology stuff so I'm just kind of waiting for the actual plot to start.

Spotted on twitter the other day, as an observation:

>I just don't think anyone cares about her origin, honestly. I've yet to read a version that was at all compelling. Paradise Island is a great backdrop for her story but not an intrinsically interesting setting in and of itself.

which I HMM'd and compared to (paraphrase)

>It's great that there's no conflict between Hippolyta and Diana because it puts the focus where it should be, on Diana vs. patriarchy

The solicits make it seem like it's going to take 6 months of double issues for anything to get started.

Batman: not very considerate towards Dick, please insert your own sex jokes here.

If you're coming off the DCAU, and that's kind of common, it's easy to have exhausted yourself of seeing "oh most of diana's conflicts and fisticuffs are with women, blah blah mother noooo."

I bought it on IST along with that DnA Guardians Omni I've been saving up for.

If a story's going to move slowly it better be packed with other things, and...

I'm not *not* happy to avoid manufactured drama, and yet...

Also, here's an interesting question for you: is Diana the only young Amazon, or not? Does she have peers, or was she the wished-for wonder child and everyone else was like her mom?

>Paradise Island is a great backdrop for her story but not an intrinsically interesting setting in and of itself.
That's inaccurate. Themyscira is a fine setting. The problem is that so few writers put any effort into fleshing it out. Atlantis has a similar problem. When your superhero comes from a distant magical place, yet all the action takes place in New York or something, of course their home is going to feel less than fulfilling.

Metropolis and Gotham feel more fleshed out because all the stories are set there.

It's one thing to be happy that she's not fighting with her mom, it's another thing to suggest that she should ONLY have one sort of antagonist

I think that in order to make it a useful setting, there are some questions that have to be answered instead of left vague and the one I just posted is foremost amongst them, but it's one that has fluctuated a lot recently, I think

>because it puts the focus where it should be, on Diana vs. patriarchy
>audiblyeyerolls.webm

>Rex's face

>>It's great that there's no conflict between Hippolyta and Diana because it puts the focus where it should be, on Diana vs. patriarchy

I can't believe someone was able to say that with a straight face.
Wait, that's a lie, after the shit Lois fans have said lately, nothing surprises me anymore.

I guess I liked LOWW's mix of mortal and immortal Amazons so there were some kids around. But yeah I'm not a big WW reader so I'll pretty much buy whatever they're selling to me.

If I had known I would've added it to my order of the Masters of Kung Fu omnibus.

They're still going to keep the demigod origin 100%, nothing even Cucka can do there. Otherwise I'll be surprised.

This. You don't have to have conflict in Themyscira to vary up the antagonists. You don't *have* to do anything - when you select these areas that Diana should be exclusive to, you deny her the freedom that other iconic characters have to do different stories. Insert bondage joke here. She's had that before, don't abandon it.

Totally depends on how the Amazons view age IMO. If everyone is Diana's mom then Diana having romantic and sexual relationships with the other Amazons is creepy, but Diana can be the only young Amazon while having peers and without everyone being her mom. The Amazons don't abide by the rules of a society we know, this part of them doesn't have to be the same either. 'Immortal' doesn't necessarily mean 'old'.

But these are the kind of questions you can ask of Themyscira, or in other words why:
>I just don't think anyone cares about her origin, honestly. I've yet to read a version that was at all compelling. Paradise Island is a great backdrop for her story but not an intrinsically interesting setting in and of itself.
Is dead wrong.

The latter would make any romantic relationships pretty weird.

Nah theyll nerf it down to like the Wondy movie, Hippolyta made a child of clay that was brought to life by the lightning of Zues.
Best of both in my opinion

It lacked any real story and added nothing new to someone who'd already been reading Aquaman.

I love that Slade and Adeline are both awful, she isn't just some innocent wronged woman

Ah, here it is

>Some r upset that @ruckawriter removed the conflict btwn Diana & Hippolyta. I say the conflict is where it belongs: btwn Diana & patriarchy.

I asked that question (and someone had raised it smartly on Twitter) because I'm totally down with Diana dating other Amazons, but not if they were grown women when she was a baby because that's entirely too do not want, it's gross when it's in het romance novels, I don't care if they're immortal

Seems that in general, the mainline books have Diana be the only young Amazon, while the spinoffs usually have the Amazons just breed normally(without murder, even).

That's going back to how nobody uses her damn rogues. They're actually a pretty diverse bunch, yet they never show up.

And her desire to get back into the field is a strong motivator

This is so true as well. People don't flesh out these truly fantastical areas often enough (not just fantasy, look at the actual details of how the GLC operate) and/or the details are so easily dashed or changed by successive writers. It's easy to destroy and/or ignore and/or sideline these places in your run - it's not important and central in the way Gotham or Metropolis are.

But when these areas are central to a character, they ought to be addressed. It's no different to Count Vertigo's Vlatava when you knucle down to it.

Aquaman in general has been a drag. Which is a shame since Abnett has a decent grip of the characters and whatnot. But Full Retard politics for several issues has worn thin.

This fawning over Halo is pretty gay, Raven

I mean the story was just him fighting the Deluge to set up the current terrorist arc, but I liked the outside narration and all.

Admittedly I was not reading it before though.

Dick just seems like a whiny brat here

Yeah she's not mad because he's absent, she's mad because she's not out there having fun too

Same
Priest has done real good with characterization in general so far

Grany and Joey have had like a handful of pages together across two issues but we still get some of their personality too

Who knows, maybe they'll synergize the origin to make Diana 5000 years old. Rucka did say Johns asked to put few things in the book.

and they never, ever should have had the kids, and the kids know it, and it's going to all end in many tears

>The Amazons don't abide by the rules of a society we know, this part of them doesn't have to be the same either.
Speaking of, I got a good laugh out of people getting made that the Amazons in Bombshells dyed their hair despite it being the 1940s. SHOCKINGLY, the island of warrior women who live in isolation specifically so they don't have to put up with dudes telling them how to live don't conform to Man's World standards. Who'd of thunk it?

Frankly, the Amazons need their crazy Golden Age tech back.

>someone had raised it smartly on Twitter
link?

It doesn't really bother me. It happens, men and women date men and women half their age, and you can be 20 FOREVER and that's a different sort of immortality to living and aging forever.

(there are not 8 million people on Manhattan, thank fuck)

Dead Water was pretty cool imo

I hope if he shows grown up Joey then he's still relatively moe, cause it'll be pretty sad when you remember how shit his parents are ;_;

Yeah, but if she was the wished-for baby...you just, you can't fuck someone whose diapers you changed, you can't do it.

There are a lot of people who seem to want the Amazons to be frozen in their idea of "ancient Greece"

Sounds like something an island full of lesbos would do.

>you can't fuck someone whose diapers you changed, you can't do it.
Someone hasn't read enough Josei mangas.

>I'm totally down with Diana dating other Amazons
Well, according to the new book, Diana dates quite a few of her fellow Amazons.

... Except Io. :(

I have my bulletproof squicks, I'm only human

I want Scythian Amazons real bad, but they'd be so mean it'd get slated I'm sure. There's always elseworlds.

F U C K Usagi Drop

THAT FUCKING BOOK

WAY TO RUIN THE ENTIRE THING RETROACTIVELY

>you can't fuck someone whose diapers you changed, you can't do it.
Why not?

And people want Atlantis frozen in a Greco-Roman, seashells-glued-to-everything aesthetic. It is what it is.

Sure, I don't think anybody sane wants to tell that Wonder Woman story. To me it's just down to the dynamics of the Amazons and their society, but not contingent on Diana being the youngest or not, too.

Remember, it's only creepy if it's a hetero pairing.

'Daddy' and 'mommy' are never going away, user.

Yeah, and I have no idea why. (Well, I have a hunch, but I'd rather not say.)

Like, having them be primitives is fucking boring. Go jerk off to 300 if you want that, this is superhero comics, dammit.

I'm fine with Diana not being The Lone Baby and having peers, it's just one of those things that you have to make a choice about

firm manly handshake

>F U C K Usagi Drop
It's funny how triggered people got over the ending. The ending was the least of its problems.

Watched animu, started reading the book. Fuck Japan and their weird fetishes.

There are parts of ancient Greek history/mythology that are very rarely hit upon in popular media and I wouldn't mind seeing in WW. But yes it's not ancient Greece as-was.

>I'd rather not say
You're anonymous. Just say it.