Out of art school

>out of art school
>story board
>moving to Canada to abuse tax breaks
any other user's living the dream!?

why do black people like having their hair looking like small turds hanging from their heads

What kind of shits are you taking user?

why do white people find piss-colored hair attractive?

Same reason Nu males get a certain part of their hair colored to some faggy color they think it looks good

I knew this was going to get replies.

Vancouver or Toronto?

give us some tips on those tax brakes, user
i'm guessing you don't have the canadian citizenship

Sup Forums>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>out of art school

Welp I'll never make it past step one, so why even live?

Don't be problematic

just being honest.

Freelance illustrator making about $3200 off of first and only gig right now, hoping to get something more within the next few months.

how many black people do you think have this hairstyle? Did you see what Anthony Mackie said about dreds?

$3200 a month i mean

fuckin rekt

What are you drinking to make your piss come out a glorious gold?

>moving to Canada to abuse tax breaks
whatever tax breaks you're gonna get will never be worth the fact that you're living in shitnada and not the glorious US. you're better off moving to Texas where the cost of living is really low.

But anyway, good on ya otherwise.

>want to do art for a living
>think of the years of genuine focused work I need to do to get good at art enough to get a job anywhere (23 with non-art bachelor's)
>it all seems so far away that I just don't see it happening so I don't work at it (or work at it and hate my shit art)
>don't wanna do any other jobs either
>go back to Sup Forums and coveting the sweet relief from this mortal coil

spoilered for blog shit

>out of art school
>no debt
>paying all my bills with commissions and a webcomic
>making a video game

Life's pretty good.

A gallon of coca cola daily

I have a steady job at a studio, but student debt sucks. I'm living comfortably, but I just want it paid off already.

>texas over Canada
kill yourself man.

I wanna hear about the video game, blog post be damned

>tax breaks

Does Canada just give you free money if you're an artist? Do I need to be good or can I just show them some recolored Sonic OCs?

Wasted my time at art school, no friends, can't live the dream.

From what i can find, it's like Germany's production laws. If it's made in the country and doesn't make that much money the government will pay the difference and write off the loss. I think it's gotta be an actual company than freelancing/self employed
Networking is just as important as actual skills. you fucked up, HARD, if you didn't leave with friends or teacher on good terms.

Why not move to Japan? Brian Ashcraft did it because of George W. Bush and more will only move to Japan because of Trump and that Europe is cluttered with people from the middle east and Trump may hijack Canada.

200 packets of ramen noodles a year isn't a livable wage, senpai

>You fucked up hard if you didn't leave with friends or teacher on good terms
I know, that's why I said the dream is dead.

Don't join a low rate studio, TMS pays 6600 yen a hour for directors and those in the ink & paint unit get pay at least 1800 yen a hour.

So is there hypothetically anyway to network after the fact or should I just restart the game?

Dreads?
dreads are cool

way better than cornrows

have you seen Canadian cartoons?
there was a time when these artists had dreams and aspirations too
and they say their vision turned into fart jokes and whip cracks
be careful what you wish for user

it's rather tricky unless you are an exceptional artist. Most of the good work comes from being recommended so you might be stuck doing blogs and tumblr shit until you get a break.
Best thing would be entering contests or attending events that concern art. You'll have to work hard and prove yourself since they didn't spend months with you in class and know your work ethic.

There was that interview about a white guy who has worked both in Western and Eastern animation. Basically for him it came down to making work you're proud of, but terrible living and work conditions or having a more stable life and producing work you wouldn't want your name on

I've made connections just from posting animations on YouTube. Thanks to that and also building an audience on Deviantart, I've found writers and voice actors to help on my cartoons, and was offered to pitch for TripTank and be on Smosh's animation channel.
If you're stuff is good, and you churn it out on a frequent basis, you will get noticed. Fanart AND original work gets people attention.

test

Become prolific in your work, get a reputation as a hard worker, and internet artists will flock to you. It's just this weird occurrence, because most of them are garbage as far as skill is concerned, but people love a prolific artist that has the skills to back it up. From there you build connections with them, and their friends, and their friends friends, etc. Opportunities come in weird and expected ways, there's no handbook that tells you exactly when or where you will get on the right track in life. You just widen your net and hope you catch something good.

There are a lot of cartoon studios in my country i don't think i'm good enough to in it.
>Been putting off praticing my art year after year
>realize i could probably do pencil magic if i only kept at it
>stuck on a job fixing pc's for people clearly too stupid to use it
>this is hell

North of L.A., Living off freelance. Hoping to get back into a studio again. Preparing studies for an animated short I'd like to make.

>expected
>unexpected
I did not expect that mistake.

I fucking lol'd

I've thought about it, I have a family friend in Vancouver who could help me find somewhere to stay.

>Studied storyboarding
>Live and went to school in Norcal
>Friends got jobs and moved to LA
>Noone is hiring here

Canada is only hope friendo. Or go south-east asia and work merciless hours.

>in school
>try to focus on art
>classes and learning disability leave me little time for myself
>constant Jeb Bush level energy
>I'm barely interested in my major anymore but can't drop out due to all the money put into it
maybe some day

>game
share game

>went to art school
>studied illustration
>became the best pen artist in the class, bar none
>teachers told me years later that they still use my work as examples for new students
>got convinced by a dozen faculty members to give the traditional stuff up and do Photoshop for everything because it's the only way to get hired
>take them at face value
>spend my entire senior year trying to catch up to everyone in Photoshop instead of doing the thing I was gifted a huge scholarship for
>senior art show is a huge disappointment, never even return to pick up my work
>get a shitty graphic design job grinding away on Photoshop, making logos and all sorts of toss away merchandise graphic bullshit
>hate it
>quit art and design completely
>feel too old to get back into it as a career choice

tl;dr: do not give up what made you special. The only thing I have that keeps me going is a sketchbook that I touch maybe 6 times a year.

dont feel bad bro. i gave up on animation school because ALL of the current generation of art students are a bunch of shithead fucks who memorized all of the 355 genders in the world.

How busy does doing commissions and running your webcomic keep you?

Do you have any pics of your pen work? I kind of regret not focusing on my brush pen drawing style and instead tried to to the realistic PS rendering all my classmates were doing when I took concept art.

>go to art school
>couldn't even make it more than 3 weeks
>give up art
>tfw it's several years later and all you have to show for it is shitty fan art and a daily sketchbook
>tfw you'll never be working in the industry
>tfw you were never that good to begin with
>tfw you're going to be homeless next week
>tfw when the dream is dead and soon you will be too

>Do you have any pics of your pen work
I really don't know where it is at this point. I'm 31 now, it's been a pretty rough near-decade and that stuff is long gone. The only thing I have is a hard drive filled with a bunch of bullshit PS renderings and vector images I created for a dead-end career I hated.

I really, REALLY wish someone had taken the young 20-something me aside and said how important it was to keep intact what made me unique. The type of thing where complete strangers that were in other graduating years would look over my shoulder in the common room and feel compelled to say how much they loved what I was doing.

I think about that and just get so fucking angry with myself that I listened to people that barely knew me and that I spent so much time in class wasting away on bullshit.

If any art students read this: don't be swayed. Don't listen to anything in art school save for critiques of projects you loved doing, and any technical information that will help make you a better artist. Those are literally the only important things to learn. If an instructor tries to steer you towards a style or medium that will get you a job rather than help you flourish and expand upon what you have demonstrated as your innate style, do not listen to them.

Then again, maybe just ignore this. I'm not even a has-been; I'm a never-was. Who am I to say what the winning formula is.

>Had to switch schools due to my family having to buy a new car after my dad's truck is smashed to shit in an accident
>Ended up getting a job over the summer that I'm stuck with that cramps the shit out of my schedule
>Couldn't get any art classes due to schedule and only hope is that my current school's experimental applications for android development can take me somewhere and hopefully the mobile bubble doesn't burst after I get out
I really should fucking find some art program to join to specifically get better at drawing next semester

Thanks for the reply. This scares me because I tried to mold myself to the same style I was taught, but I hated it and it took more time because I was trying to learn it all at once. I guess the good thing is that I graduated and am finding my style again, but it's difficult to find a job that way when it's too different.

Not everything is bait, you meme.

>dont know what i want to do with my life
>take film school
>hate it
>only class i like is animation
>rather than change majors, i drop out of school
>move to LA with no plan
>stumble into a job doing production design for a short film
>excel at it
>do this as freelance for two years
>jobs start slowing down and getting worse
>no longer enjoy it
>only jobs i can find are shitty music videos asking way too much of me and paying wayyy too little
>quit taking production design jobs. get job at chili's

Now i spend half of each month serving tables. the other half i spend doing the thing that's always brought me joy in life, drawing cartoons. I highly regret not pursuing this years ago. wish i had gone to art school. Now im 25, completely broke, and i feel like im starting all over. ah well, life is weird.

Damn I didn't think I'd meet my twin today.

Honestly going to school recently I've kept asking myself why I even bothered going in the first place. It's like you said the only thing keeping me going is how much money I've dumped into it already.

The worse part is having art friends who are doing well even without going to school, makes me think it was all a mistake to begin with.

Shoulda networked at least, nerd. I dropped out of art school and even I have a foot in The Industry.

>youtube is doing well enough
>animating rick and morty stuff
>self employed in canada

things are pretty good

Also listen to these guys.

>get regular job
>pursue passions in my spare time
>didn't have to pay money to go to school for 4 years to get a worthless degree

Will people care if I've drawn furry stuff in the past? Is it even a factor at all getting a job as an animator?

Sounds more like you just couldn't hack it.

I got some pretty cool job offers simply by posting my stuff online (twitter, facebook, tumblr) -making good work that gets people's attention, focusing on my strengths, doing some really flashy fanart.
The really cool job offers never amount to much though since I'm not American. but locally I get approached for work a lot because of the stuff I post on Facebook. Unfortunately I have a terrible work ethic.

get your colon checked

DEVESTATED

You're pretty good Tiara

>dropped out of art school
>go back to home state to major in applied computing
>still draw everyday because i love it
>no foot in art industry

Thanks bruh

>it's rather tricky unless you are an exceptional artist.
Squirrel Girl artist gets paid money to make pictures that look like orangutan shit. Your point is invalid.

>moving to Texas

No don't. We already have way too many yankees and Californians moving here and screwing it up for the rest of us.
It's funny, all the liberals on the east and west coasts complain about how terrible Texas is and backwards and conservative, and yet they move here for jobs because our state is actually prospering.
Fucking hypocrites.

>19
>starts school in five days to get degree in animation
This thread does not make me very hopeful.

I don't have dreams.

Work hard, apply yourself, put yourself out there, and above all don't be afraid to explore various things.
A number of animation majors go into things like UX/UI and other design fields and find good success there, but you have to be open and flexible.
My point is, even if you don't end up at an animation studio, you can parley that degree into something else if you're determined.