Legion of Super-Heroes

Why isn't the Legion popular on Sup Forums? Is it because they're on the higher end of obscure and thus nobody here has read them?

Frankly, you'd think they'd be darlings here just on the sheer volume of potential waifus/husbandos to fawn over.

Who

The Legion of Super-Heroes. A team of capes from THE FUTUUUUURE!!!

Snekie is best girl

Too camp.

Why don't you storytime some comics?

Sneckie is cute. CUTE!

I do wish more Legionnaires were more alien.

Why are both Projectra and Sensor Girl on that pic? They're same person, right?

That's by big hope for the Rebirth version, but I feel like it's just gonna be Retroboot 2.0.

Saturn Girl not being based on her cartoon design already has me disappointed.

I feel like it is decently popular, they just haven't had a book in a while. We had some hype threads back in the day at least even before the new 52 run when to shit when there was the Mysa and Glorith stuff to speculate about. Alas.

That may have been before Sensor Girl's identity was revealed.

>That may have been before Sensor Girl's identity was revealed.
Ah, makes sense. Sometimes knowing what happens in comics ruins experience.

Personally, I'm hoping that Johns being Johns, will go for more of a mix and match setting that takes all the best elements from each iteration and stuffs them in a blender. Doing Retroboot 2.0 would be kind of lame unless you flat out ignore the ending.

>Saturn Girl not being based on her cartoon design already has me disappointed.
I also prefer my Legion-fu with freaky bug eyes.

This was probably during the time they were trying to hide Sensor Girl's identity while she was still supposed to be Supergirl.

Ah, I remember the "Legion Renaissance" hype.
Two ongoings, an origin mini, and a Star Trek crossover.

Then Gates and Chameleon Girl exploded and we knew we were in trouble.

U must be new here....

Because it is not a tv show or a movie.

I dunno why not (no reprints or strong multimedia presence) they're the GOAT. I've been ranting on Sup Forums for years about them, and the cult has slowly grown.

I don't want to think about what a DCEU Legion movie would be like.

That Mysa and Glorith stuff never really went anywhere, did it? What a fucking tease.

At least Mysa never ended up going full edgelord with her Black Witch shtick. Thank goodness.

>Then Gates and Chameleon Girl exploded and we knew we were in trouble.
Speaking of shit that went nowhere... Nu52 Legion Lost went to shit near immediately.

I unironically started reading little LoSH because of Sup Forums threads.

I feel like they do get a lot of reprints but the stuff that people obviously want the most never gets collected. Pretty much carried the Archives line, for example.

They are doing collections for the Reboot era soon though.

They're bringing Legion back I said

It'll be amazing

the ticking timebomb of Glorith was the one thing that made me keep reading desu. And Legion Lost got fucked by editorial (like most of young justice). Nicieza had to rewrite issue 1 entirely from his pitch.

I guess they feel like Reboot is accessible and tonally what they're going for maybe? It's kinda like Rebirth in that way. or they're trying to lure Waid.

I hope they'll start putting out omnibuses and big paperbacks like they have been for Superman/Batman/etc for the Silver Age stuff. and collect volume 3 with Levitz and everyone.

Probably bad, though not necessarily because of the DCEU. The Legion is a series that just doesn't lend itself to a film. There are so many characters, you'd be far better off doing a TV show with an anthology format.

JSA Storytime is THE reason I'm a Legion-fag. Hard not to be when you've read literally ALL of it.

think what a DCCW Legion would look like

Legion is perfect for tv. It's Star Trek + Teens + X-Men + DC Insanity and Optimism

but also DCEU so far has the opposite tone of the Legion. ffs the Legion comes to Earth to help people out of the goodness of their heart. literally the origin. compare that to Superman's arc in the movies!

very, very, pretty

DC is just collecting more 90s stuff in general finally so LoSH was logical. I wouldn't read too much into it beyond that. I don't expect the tone to match Reboot, it wouldn't feel right with adult founders and all.

I expect Retroboot 2.0 though not really following any of those plots. I'd take a mix like Lemire's team though. And some of the Retroboot academy kids. Best parts of everything is ideal.

Forget the looks, can you imagine the angst?

>Retroboot academy kids
The one thing about non-Johns Retroboot I liked

The Smallville kids were cute

>Cos eternally best boy

the struggle beyond which versions(retroboot mix and match) is they need new characters on the team but also the appeal is all the characters everyone loves.

90s Legion is wandering outside the DC Universe last we saw. if Abra Kadabra wasn't fighting Wally rn I wouldn't be conspiracying so hard

I'm personally a little sad that they didn't pick up the JL3K1 design; the Legion needs some more alien looking aliens.

>Legion is perfect for tv. It's Star Trek + Teens + X-Men + DC Insanity and Optimism
You could straight up give it the same format as Justice League Unlimited. There are more than enough characters to keep it fresh with just about any combination of Legionnaires.

>I'd take a mix like Lemire's team though.
It's a shame Lemire can't write teams, cause he's clearly a fan. The Legion hijacking the book was the best part of JLU.

I'm personally a little sad that they didn't pick up the JL3K1 design; the Legion needs some more alien looking aliens.

>founders love triangle of angst

NOPE

They are amazing and it is hands down the best team to pull a harem from but you're talking a title with 50 years of self-contained continuity. Ain't nobody got time for that. A complete reboot is the only way, or a new cartoon that doesn't have a shitty artstyle.

the cartoon had some nice waifus though

>not allowed in s2 because of toy sales

execs pls

>love triangle
Ew. Founders OT3.

you can do all kinds of gimmicking shit too, like Polar Boy ending up as leader, because everyone works so well.

And they aren't like complex to get across. Cosmic Boy is a straight arrow about doing the right thing, Lighting Lad is the wild card, Saturn Girl is a calm, stern, secret badass

young ot3, eventually cos meets night girl.

You wanna know what my nitpickiest complaint about the retroboot is? That B5 looks like he's 35-40 when he's lived like 3% of his life. Him being a teenager makes sense because having a century long childhood isn't a smart survival strategy but if he looks like this at 20-ish he'll look like a damn hell itself at 600.

>You can do all kinds of gimmicking shit too, like Polar Boy ending up as leader, because everyone works so well.
Leader elections are always a lot of fun.

>Cosmic Boy is a straight arrow about doing the right thing, Lighting Lad is the wild card, Saturn Girl is a calm, stern, secret badass
Huh. That sounds familiar...

Yeah I don't know what that was about. Most of the others didn't look that old, even Garth and Imra who had children. Odd design choice when you have Vril in stuff around the same time looking younger than him.

>Shy snake with robot arms
That's a lot of fetishes

Stress, maybe? Although, knowing brainy, he probably fucked up yet another invention that artificially aged him.

Vril is 100+ years old, Querl must have fucked up real bad to age himself that much.

what's camp about it? i've always thought of legion as superheroes meets star trek. it depends on the author.

Well, this IS Brainiac 5 we're talking about. He fucks up a lot.

Tom King L.E.G.I.O.N. when

Sneckie isn't really shy, but she is a very proper lady who does not announce herself needlessly.

Never really understood how the hell her species got anything done without arms though. Yeah, they have mouse servants, but still.

Never, and if it happens they will ignore it so someone with a coloured ring can fight someone else with a coloured ring in peace.

Uh, about that.

A lot of the worst parts of Retroboot were right out of Johns, though, like racist Earth.

But Titanians aren't Alien. They're human colonists with telepathy.

Maybe if you buy the Omega Men trade...

Two issues my mate, and Vril basically just ignored Sinestro and his ring all the way through it. Unless you are implying he should join the corps because I'm pretty damn sure he would actually fight Sinestro if he did. Vril's not too fond of dictators who aren't him.

Good job posting best Legion.

Nah, Garth isn't nearly as useless as Ron, despite his bad luck, and his sister doesn't surpass him completely.

That was Superboy Prime/Time Trapper's fault though not some kind of default setting that had to stick.

>Unless you are implying he should join the corps because I'm pretty damn sure he would actually fight Sinestro if he did, Vril's not too fond of dictators who aren't him.
Well NOW I'm saying that should happen. That sounds fucking great.

>racist Earth
I enjoyed that story, but I was waiting for Universo to be behind it(AGAIN), but he wasn't.

There was a big storytime last year of a shit ton of legion comics
Just because they're not talked about often doesnt mean they're not popular here.

I never liked that Brainiac 5/Coluans live forever stuff just because they're teenagers when they join dammit! that's the point! It's in the constitution!!

But I agree like, the founders are all, generously, around 40. nu52 Legion Lost had to age everyone down to around 18 and I was like wtf

Current GL arc has them fucking up Vega. It would be the perfect time to reintroduce Vril and have him tell the lanterns to fuck off. Venditti probably doesn't even know LEGION exists though.

I am a dyed in the wool Reboot-fag.
>best setting
>strong focus on characterization
>best costumes(mostly)
>consistently good artwork
>consistently good stories(again, mostly)
Use of the some of the classic rogues could be better (The Fatal Five for example), but still.

They can still be teenagers when they join, or it's actually very likely. Most animals reach maturity, aka mid to older teens in humans, fairly quickly because it's not biologically advantageously to remain non-mature for too long since that limits the amount of time the animal can produce offsprings. (Except fucking tortoise because they don't give a fuck)

So Coluans could probably reach maturity/their teens at roughly the same time or slightly later than humans do and stop aging at that pace soon after that. And they only become ~600 years old without enhancements unlike certain other aliens...

18 is too young if you're doing a Retroboot sort of thing but 40 seems too old. Even through like 5YL they never seemed THAT old to me, early 30s max (at least visually, hard to really put years on it when we're talking alien species that might age at different rates)

Where's my hommie Prime?

So like, is Dawnstar Johns' waifu or something? Cause she was really prominent in the Nu52 stuff, LO3W especially.

Very dexterous tails?

I feel wishy washy when it comes to picking a favorite. Like I like the Reboot a lot but then there's

>tryhard codenames (maybe they seemed better at the time but they feel dated now)
>actually ditzy Dreamy and sidelined MEL and Bouncing Boy
>accidental rapist Imra

but that's probably why going forward I'm more for "pick a bunch of shit from every version and mash it together" than any one continuity continuing

Agreed.

>Imra's uniform has the outline of her pink swimsuit costume as white detailing

10/10 attention to detail

Nah. Part of Legion's appeal is that most of them are human colonists that grew superpowers to deal with alien environments. It's so charmingly retro SF that it needs to be preserved.

Just generic alien supergroup has been done repeatedly.

It's not as obvious as his husbandos but Dawny is definitely up their in his waifu rankings. Only Mera might be ahead of her.

Somebody needs to like her, she's traditionally been one of the most hated Legionnaires next to Tyroc and Karate Kid.

If I went to cons, I would get a "death of KK" sketchbook going

Reboot ain't perfect, no, but I can't help but love it, warts and all.

The codenames were a misguided attempt to make the series less silly, but like, it's capes. Even at the time, readers didn't like most of the new codenames.

Nura at least got some training to become a badass strategist, and Chuck got that hilariously awesome bouncing spaceship. But yeah, no idea why they pushed Tenzil away when they made every effort to make Luornu cool.

The Imra stuff... well, it's better that what happened in Threeboot. It was just weird to have her pull a Jean Grey.

Is she that bad? Because I don't care how shallow it makes me come off, but goddamm she's sexy. Everytime I see her it makes me want to start reading Legion. Even my gf likes her design

Where should I start with Legion anyway? I have a mega pack of pretty much everything they've appeared in, and while I'm the type who prefers to dive in at the very beginning, I imagine it would be quite a daunting task for a team like this.

I don't think anyone hates her, it's just her origin kinda skeeves people out. She's otherwise fine, if lacking in notable moments. And only Giffen has that weird hate on for Karate Kid.

Go ahead and start at the beginning. Good ol' Silver Age wackiness awaits you there.

If you don't want to start with the original 'boot it's one of these:

>Reboot
Issue #00 of Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 4 (or The Beginning of Tomorrow TPB)
>Threeboot
Teenage Revolution TPB
>Pre-52 Retroboot
The Choice TPB

Her origin is pretty bad but I think she's a good character.

With the Legion you can pretty much just start at the beginning if you like going straight through stuff. If the early silver age doesn't work for you skip ahead to the Shooter stuff. If it still doesn't work for you skip ahead a little more to the 70s where they get lewd costumes.

Worst parts are probably the later half of Five Years Later, Threeboot after Waid leaves, and the last 5 issues or so of the new 52 stuff which is pretty good imo for a franchise that ran for over 50 years.

Make sure you read L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S. too because they're fun, but they're not really that connected to LoSH beyond a few things.

>Is she that bad?

Not really. Dawny had some rather unfortunate circumstances surrounding her introduction. She was part of the mid-late 1970s push to "diversify" the legion by introducing a number of characters that were not caucasian types. I mean yes we had Chameleon and Brainy from the start, but most of them still looked like white people. So they introduced a spate of new characters that either looked fully alien or at least like different ethnicities. Tyroc was the most infamous one, a black guy coming from an idyllic space-island populated by noble black stereotypes. Dawny was from literal space native americans, and a lot of older Legion fans disliked her. I mean really, fanboys today and fanboy back then are not that different. People hated her because they saw her as blatant pandering, because she was racially insensitive and because she was fanservice. None of those accustions are particularly true, her native american background is still better than Chakotay from Star Trek Voyager, who was created 25 years later.

Also Dawny became a lot better in later parts of the original run before being violently shitcanned along with pretty much every other post-60s member in the Five Years Later debacle. Dawny escaped with "only" having her wings cut off and being tortured and then being possessed by an alien intelligence and turned into a villain.

Thankfully it seems she's been treated better since then

Bring him back

>>Threeboot
>Teenage Revolution TPB
At the risk of swaying that user's opinion(cause I want people to think for themselves, dammit), one of the big reasons I couldn't get into Threeboot is because of the "kids vs adults" angle. I just couldn't stop thinking of pic related.

>Dawny escaped with "only" having her wings cut off and being tortured and then being possessed by an alien intelligence and turned into a villain.

O-okay. That doesn't sound too horrific or anything...

yeah I never realized Dawny had hate from all the exposure to Johns.

Shikari a qt

5YL got rough....

>O-okay. That doesn't sound too horrific or anything...

She got off lightly compared to Blok, White Witch or Shvaugn Erin.

It was one of my favourite parts of that version.

only if he coexists with Jacques

Waid's Threeboot gets a bad rap but I'm ok with it actually.

Eat it grandpa was best kid Legion.

Yes, bring back Brainy's husbando.

5YL hurt. It was good at first, but even the initial stuff hurt. Then the Bierbaums took over and made it hurt in a bad way.

It felt more Elseworlds than normal status quo. Like it almost didn't feel right until Lo3W with that Brainy bouncing off the other two more normal versions.

I've always just seen it as a more different universe in the multiverse. Not less viable, just further away from what we're used to.

Levitz said that this version of Glorith wasn't the same person as the original, but she might still have gone bad.

Or Sun Boy. Jesus fucking christ, that Sun Boy plot.

it ends with giffen leaving imo.

lotta legion history is picking and choosing canons

Why is Brainy so shippable?

>Kara
>Andromeda
>Lyle
>Dreamy
>cartoon Clark

Any speculations on what the hell plans DC allegedly has for the Legion in Rebirth that demand nobody use them for the time being?

Also, I don't think this is Gary Frank, but Imra's looking a little terrifying here.... well, more so than usual, anyway.

Idk, because tsundere tendencies maybe?

I mostly want him to have science trinity with Lyle and Salu, platonic or otherwise...

Hopefully it's a n00b-accessible-yet-drawing-on-rich-history reintroduction that just means "We need everyone available and not tied up in your own plots for right now, please".

>black Imra

HNNNNNNNNGH

Frank did do that part actually Probably that editorial edict is just so there's no confusion when they get reintroduced. Would imagine that they might need to smooth over the specific Superman this version is friends with.

With improved and consistent character/costume designs and plots that make at least a little sense?