Why do we still use imperial units?

Pretty much every country except the United States and a few other nations that don't matter use metric. Why are we still using the barbaric tool that is the imperial? 12 inches, 3 feet, 1,760 yards? That's just unorganized and sloppy. The metrix system is convenient and goes by 10's and is very organized. It is also the preferred measurement for scientist. It sounds way better saying you have a 20cm penis than the other way.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Your country wants to be a special snowflake.

Why are you such a little bitch?

Fuck my country, people hate change just because. The metric is superior in evey way yet we still use imperial
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Caws deayyy iz daaaaaaaa greatesttt nashun awn eart nn sheeit

Imperial and metric both have different units that are more or less convenient for different situations... but at the end of the day they're both based on shit that's pretty arbitrary in the grand scheme of things.

The only truly absolute system of units would be natural units (measuring velocities in terms of c, masses in terms of electron masses, etc)... but those are completely impractical outside of theoretical work

Bottom line is don't bitch. It's 2016, everyone and their mom has a fucking smartphone that can do nearly instant unit conversions, so it doesn't really matter what units you use.

t. a plasma physicist who measures pressure in Torr and temperature in eV.

this

isnt it annoying for the people who have to deal with both units daily ? do they use both units in the global industry

We use both, I thought we had the perfect system untill i had to fit a new speedo on my japanese import.

wtf i hate imperial now

>IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR DEAL WITH IT

Because it's hard to switch once it's adopted. Should've attended that metric system adoption congress in france, and not be buttmad about frenchies.

I just feel that it is pointless to bother with it. Imperial is the preferred system for daily activities here, even though metric is better.

I've always wondered. What are your speed limits posted as?

We then can't take advantage of the other measuring unit.

So much this

Celcious is based on a specific sort of water (not pure H20) at a specific pressure (not quite sea level) -- completely arbitrary.

The meter is some fraction of the length of a line between the equator and the north poll passing through Paris -- completely arbitrary.

The kilogram is literally a block of metal in a bunker -- completely arbitrary.

Europe spends all day calling American's stupid then turns around and insults us for using a system of measurements they're too stupid to figure out.

At least the relations are linear and base 10.

Organization and convenience, this is why I prefer metric.

Out of curiosity, why would you say Metric is "better" for daily activities? Is it just because it's based on 10 so you can remember it slightly easier?

im surprised no one has posted this yet

So you prefer it because it's more friendly to the weak minded. Alright then.

Better is not the best term, how about less barbaric

jews > white "people"

Imperial system is made for humans, metric for robots.

Our nation is full of weak minds

robots > humans

Nothing's preventing you from measuring in centi-inches or kilo-miles. Putting prefixes in front of units doesn't make the base units any less arbitrary.

A calendar year is base 365.25 and I don't hear anyone bitching about it.

Imperial tapes are much easier to use when you get below 1mm. I've never seen a tape that has .5 mm increments. But imperial tapes with 64ths on then are quite common. My issue is when a blueprint comes with both imperial & metric but the imperial measurements are expressed in decimal form, that in my opinion is outlandish.

>I've never seen a tape that has .5 mm increments.
You need high-precision calipers for that.

Or an imperial tape.

If the Earth's orbit were perfect we might. This is why we add leap years and seconds. Organize what you can. Why do we go MM/DD/YYYT? We should go left to right, left being he smallest measurement. DD/MM/YYYY

If we could get the earth to rotate the sun in 100 days and change the day into 10 hours (and have ten minutes in an hour and ten seconds in a minute) life would be damn well near perfect.

Seriously is this so hard to remember?

>2 hard 4 the eurotard lol

Absolutely disgusting

US doesn't use imperial
We us US standard

>Why do we still use imperial units?
It's a colonial thing. We miss being serfs under divine rule and using the King's boot size as our official unit of measure.

Sometimes i miss England so much I drive on the wrong side of the road. Well, that and I've been drinking.

Don't use shampoo.

>use shampoo
>get dandruff
>oy vey goy, buy this shampoo to get rid of your dandruff
>rubbing hands.jpg

I've not had dandruff in ages and I don't use shampoo, I just use shower gel or soap.

The eternal Teuton exposed

I much prefer having 0f be really fucking cold instead of 0c just being jacket weather and 100f being beach weather and 100c being oven weather

1/64th

I've actually never seen this before and it looks handy as fuck

I remember making this in grade school.

You have a wonderful mind.

How about we make it 10.000 days?
With your proposal, 100 days is the equivalent of 100.000 seconds, which is just about 1 day 4 hours in our current system.

To maintain Earth's orbit at that speed, the Earth would need to be placed in an orbit approximately 3.2 million kilometers from the Sun.
Now that might sound like no big deal, but to put it into perspective, that's about 50 times closer than our current orbit. For reference, Mercury, which is a barren piece of shit rock, orbits the Sun at about 58 million kilometers.

With 10.000 days, we'd have an orbit much like Mercury, at approximately 69 million kilometers from the Sun. Perhaps in a millennia (current time-keeping system), we'd have the technology to survive on a planet that close to the Sun.
Until then, I'd rather stay with our current system than your proposal.

All of you would have to learn it from the basics, lets not overhelm the americans with too much information

Ok Danebro, point taken. But as soon as we have the technology to survive so close to the sun, this planet has got to move so that we can have a perfect metric year. Can I have your word on this?

I'll make it my life's mission.

Make sure to short windmill stocks before we move, solar panels will probably be actually viable that close to the Sun due to the higher flux. A Vestas company or two are nothing in the grand scale compared to a metric year.

What makes you say that?

It will be mankind's greatest achievement. Not sure what we will do with the burgers that don't want to switch over to a metric year. I guess they won't have much of a choice. Oh, and thanks for the investment advice.

>Nothing's preventing you from measuring in centi-inches or kilo-miles.
Nothing's preventing you from not being an obese faggot either, yet here we are.

>archaic

To be fair, 99% of Canadians measure their height and weight and dick size in the Imperial system.

I have no clue how tall I am in cm's, or how many kg's I weigh.

who cares

Because now humans never do math, instead computers do, unit selection literally doesn't matter.

>why is the dumbest country in the world using the dumbest system?

gee

>he uses meme units
>he can't divide his base unit by multiples of three
>1 foot / 3 = 4 inches
>1 meter / 3 = 33.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 cm

kek

A metre is defined by the distance light travels in 1/299 792 458. A way to define a kilogram in universal constants is currently being reasearched.

90% of Canada also lives like 10 miles from the US border. That's pretty much the only thing the imperial system is good for. Also I've seen more people measure their weight with kilograms, the olympics is using kilograms

because we invented computers and atomic bombs. the metric system invented nothing.

>>he can't divide his base unit by multiples of three

why tho

look at this

Basis of imperial: practicality
Basis of metric: appeal to aesthetics

They're both arbitrary.

>A metre is defined by the distance light travels in 1/299 792 458.

Defining the measurement based on the distance light travels is arbitrary. You could define it by how fast a cheetah runs and it's the same idea.

Yes, I know how fast light travels is constant, but it's still up to the creator of the system of pick the standard it's based upon.

Whenever metric is heralded it's generally upon an aesthetic appeal, i.e. the way it scales up is pleasing to the eye [10, 100, 1,000, etc.] but if you had a scaling measurement-system that scaled by 2, that's just as pleasing and useful; and 5 and 20 and 50, etc.

Just accept they're both arbitrary and move on.

Metric is also more organized and convenient

After we have nuked all of the Muslims we might be close to planetary metric system.

To please her highness, as you ought to do as an British colony.

1 meter / 3 is just 1/3 meter.

And unless you are an autistic retard that's 33cm. It's unlikely you need it any more accurate if you are willing to use inch.

It's a bit confusing in bongland because we use both. Industries, trade and science all happen in metric though.
Our limits are in MPH, but our speedos generally have both KMPH and MPH unless it's an old car.
>Travel to Australia
>Driving an old Aussie car
>Speedo is in MPH only
>Speed limits are in KMPH only
>Police stop you and give you large fines for going 1kmph over the limit

>need to build a triangular window
>only have one yard of material
>neat, use your yardstick to cut it in three
>perfect fit

>only have one meter
>whip out your meterstick
>shit
>your shitty european triangle doesnt fit together perfect

>Just accept they're both arbitrary and move on

But metric is not arbitrary. One square metre of water is 1000kg and 1000 litres.

1kg = 1 litre water
1ml = 1 gram of water = 1 cubic centimetre of water

They are all based on water.

The only reason you have the definition of light travelling is so that it is super precise when doing small scale stuff.

So your reluctance to switch to metric is based purely on the unlikely event of having to fit triangular windows at a whim?

How so? Just if the resulting lemgth after folding thirds doesn't have a name approved of by the Queen it doesn't make it less accurate.

That's wrong. The density of water depends on many factors (pressure, impurities, isotopic makeup and such).

METRIC IS THE ANTI-CHRIST OF THE DECIMAL SYSTEM

BASE 10 BE DAMNED

There is only one, holy, and natural number system that any rational being should use. The Dozenal System (Base 12) shall set Humanity free.

Base 12 - Numberphile
youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

working with multiples of three is fairly common and is something that the meter fails are spectacularly. obviously it can be compensated for scientifically, but the imperial system is better for common use. working with the imperial system, in construction for example, is far more intuitive for that reason.

>something that the meter fails are spectacularly.
How so? You can fold a meter in thirds, just as practically as you can fold yards in thirds.
If it triggers you that you have to say 1/3 meter you can name it "anonfurlong" or whatever.

You can also say "thirdmeter" and people will understand you.

>fold a meter in thirds

if i have a ruler i can easy measure out a yard or measure out 1/3 of a foot without even thinking about it. if you have a simple meter stick, which is too fucking large to work with for many practical purposes, what sort of unit would you use? a centimeter stick?

Another thing that pissesme off is my hat time isn't metric. 60 seconds a minute? 60 minutes in hour? 24 hours a day?

We can't change how fast the earth revolves around the sun so that's more or less fixed at 365 days a year. But there's no reason for this 86400 seconds in a day stupidity, just restandardize it at 100000 or something.

A centimeter stick? Is that what you lot call a ruler? Ffs.

>implying in anons phantasy world a meter and a yard are different by more than 10%
Not going to dignify that with an answer.

I agree. Metric time NOW!

Because the vast majority of the use of measurements is for daily convenience, not scientific work. Imperial is more relatable than metric.

And on the subject of science and math, there is literally no reason for your measurements to be easily calculated in your head in the information age. Metric is sad and outdated.

Let's dispel with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing

>what is "seconds since unix epoch"

>imperial

Its customary you British shit fag.

I use a combination of the two, oddly enough.

I like both. Height in feet and inches, weight in kg.

>he can't divide the day into thirds or sixths

the day functions in 4 hour intervals. 10-2, 2-6, 6-10.

6-10 is the morning, 10-2 is midday, 2-6 is afternoon.

6-10 is evening, 10-2 is midnight, 2-6 is before the dawn

The only reason why imperial is more relatable to you is because it is what you are familiar with. The rest of the world relates pretty well with metric.

In real science (not womyn and lgbt studies) you use customized units like "hydrogen mass" or "4pi/h0".

>meter is too big
>centimeter is too small
>can't into thirds or sixths

Yeah I do too actually, and we're not even taught imperial here. I find imperial easier for guesstimating small distances and talking about peoples height.

Just also use a superiour language (i.e. German) were stuff like "1/147" is easy to pronounce because it's all in the suffix ("hundredfourtysix-stel").

The meter is based on the value of c and the gram is based on the mole

Didn't Obongo pass a law that the younger generation be taught the metric system first?

its a system of measurement for autists or are obsessed with uniformity over functionality

the superiority of the number 12 for common usage is reflected in the english language. notice that the "teens" start after 12

It all makes sense now.

>meter fails are spectacularly.

Th Metric system is only but a symptom of a greater disease. Decimal 10 needs to die.

Base 12 shall set us free

2 5 10
vs
2 3 4 6 12

whats so great about the number 10 anyway? it isn't even an even number. really odd

But it can into twos, fiths and tens. Why this obsession of dividing things into thirds?

Since in informatics we have stuff like "Mibibyte" to denote 2^20 instead of 10^6 we could use other prefixes like burgermeter which is 1/3 meter or lardassmeter which is 1/12 meter.