The Invitation (2015)

This movie was fucking great.

Thoughts, Sup Forums?

Would have been better if there really was nothing going on

It was alright. Kind of predictable how it turned into a bloody mess... and that ending shot was fucking dumb. Ooooh it's happening everywhere, spoooooky. There was no point to it. Fantastic buildup of tension though, and the acting was solid to good.

It was 2016 too, not 2015. Not sure why you needed to put the date in the title anyway. Who are you, the tripfag Thor?

I agree, I liked this movie a lot

Pros:
>Based John Carrol Lynch was scary as fuck
>Tension builds really nicely with the whole faux-friendly atmosphere and mounting dread
>Dinner scene where they're all pigging out freakishly and the main guy flashes back to a more chill, normal barbecue from before his kid died

Cons:
>Black girl is underdeveloped even though she's basically the second protagonist and we should care about her almost as much as the main guy
>Situation with the Asian dude disappearing and showing up later was contrived
>Weird audio issues when the main guy's talking to the slutty chick out by the pool

When I google it another movie with the same title appears from 2017.

Anyway, I really wanted to know what happened to Claire.

THIS.
I was expecting it to just be David spiralling into a murder-suicide, it could have benefited from being longer with more emphasis on dialogue.
The twist was pretty cool though.

I hate these directors who choose to film in the blandest, most sterile house interiors
would it kill them to make the house look like it wasn't rented specifically to shoot a movie there?
this isn't specific to this movie though, just today I saw nocturnal animals, same shit for the present day scenes

The Invitation house looked like any number of modern middle-class houses that are maintained well, and it worked for the whole cultist angle. It was a problem in Nocturnal Animals for sure though, that movie was so far up Tom Ford's ass that basically no light from the real world could shine into it

The house looked ok, nothing too luxurious.

It makes sense in animals since it's a house of emotionally stuborn women that makes pretentious art perfomances for living

>le multicultural lgbt inclusive cast

paused it right there and walked away desu

Also who were the people David claimed were looking for a party?

the ending was a little bit too much...

have you seen the gracefield incident? alot of it is in a really nice modern cabin in the woods by a lake.

It was really great, liked the pseudo-supernatural aspects, not sure if I would've preferred had it actually gone full supernatural demon-worship cult though, either way it was great, lead actor is underrated as fuck.

it's not about luxury, just the way everything is so perfect and tidy makes it look like it's just a set, not a real home
this has been a trend lately though in all these kinds of dramas that focus so much on plot the visuals are treated as a chore
just remembered Gone Girl too

I haven't, the reviews seem to be bad, did you like it yourself?

I'm sorry you grew up with a slob family user.

Particularly given that the story is based around a dinner party, it certainly isn't unreasonable that the house would be tidy.

this lmao

This movie's getting shilled all to hell on this board for some reason. Probably literally the director trying to promote it himself.

stop being condescending
you know exactly what I mean by this, houses that look like people lived there are a sign that the director doesn't care enough for the look of their film

*never lived
besides it's not about being tidy and well kept, it's the fact that they look like a stock image

>discount Tom Hardy

>Timmy Soft

You wish. This guy is way, way better actor.

i dunno lol

unironically this

but is he way, way bigger tho?

Okay so something about this movie has been bothering me since I saw it and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. After shit goes down and they're trying to get out of the house the guy says that there is a door by the theatre(?) that they can use to escape but there ends up not being a door where he thought there was. What was up with that? Like it was his old house and they didn't mention any renos or anything. Was it just supposed to show that he was stressed and going kind of crazy or what?

good question actually

He's a slender guy

Fucking boring

Fucking pleb