How in a show all about broken people he can remain so perfect

how in a show all about broken people he can remain so perfect

Light has to shine on at least one person to remind the rest of what they will never have.

Dogs are magical creatures.

He's a simple dog, enjoying life to its fullest without caring about it all.

Because he's a dumb dog

What do you think Diane would have given birth too if she hadn't aborted? Human baby or puppies?

Because he's stupid and nihilistic, and he'll still dick people over on occasion.

to*

Yeah, everyone forgets that he can be just as underhanded as everyone else on the show. He only got hitched to Diane in the first place by taking BoJack's D and giving it to her.
No homo

He has loads of good luck.
The second something bad happens to him he'll break.

Probably both. Charlotte had a human son and a deer daughter

Because you are a gay furry.

I can't for him to end up alone and then curls up and suck starts a shotgun, leaving a note that says "I'm a bad dog".

Retrievers. The happiest, friendliest, dumbest dogs on the planet.

The real question is why did they make the animal people disgusting mashup creatures instead of proper furries

I think he's smart and has a wicked sense of humor. Reminds me of myself, actually.

The only one who deserves Bojack's D is Mr. P.

Waiting on the EP where they fug

"What is this, a crossover episode!?"

Because you're probably a barafag

He's not dumb. He's articulated multiple times that he's completely aware of what he's doing, he just acts the way he does because it makes him happy.

So, I've made it through half of the 4th episode of season 1. I really want to like this site, but it's kinda lame so far, and the biography writer is a really annoying character. I'd there a specific point that it gets better at that has you all hooked, or does it stay pretty similar the whole way through?

season 1's fucking weird and unanimously agreed to get ten times better after episode 6

nobody knows why this happened, but even reviews of the first season mention how huge the difference each half of season 1 is from each other

It slowly becomes more serious. A lot of people consider the seventh episode as the turning point, but it's a subtle gradual change if you ask me.

Alright, I guess I'll truck along through season 1, thanks. I was a bit worried this show would be Family Guy, with all the cutaways in the first episode, but if you guys say it gets better than I have no reason not to trust you.

Yea, I have no idea what they were aiming for with the first six episodes. I assume the writes were still searching for their niche.

He is just as broken but he figured a way out to be happy about it, even if its ignoring things like the shit with his brother. He just choses to either ignore it, shrug it off or think the best of it. It will work out in the end. His only flaw is that he doesn't seem to actually try and make shit better, it just falls in his favor.

Disney has happy endings, Bojack doesn't.

But Bojack's hypothetical daughter was a horse and not a deer. His real one is a horse too but we don't know her mother.

On top of this, Labs are magical dogs.

He's not perfect, his reality show's name doesn't make any sense. Who's supposed to be the "jelly" ?

Go away, BoJack.

This, more or less. Mr. PeanutButter has the same shit handed to him as the rest of the cast, but the reason he rises over them like the golden good boy that he is is because he doesn't let himself be swallowed in the particulars of his existence. He lets all the little things go past him, and confronts all of the big problems, albeit in an indirect fashion. He absolutely does not let shit get him down, and on the rare occasion that it does, he's able to move past it.
Mr. PB more than likely has major depression though don't get me wrong. Bojack may not get the closure he desires, Mr. PB doesn't ever seem to seek it unless the solution is pointed out to him. Retriever, indeed

It's a play on words

The first batch of episodes were probably aiming for the casual audience (Family Guy, Cleveland Show etc.) to hook them in, and then surprise them with the latter half of the season.

It's not a play on words when you only have Mr Peanutbutter
Stop being stupid, you damn mutt

>Mutt

I thought it started getting interesting in episode 4, actually.

Also it’s actually a pretty fun rewatch once you know what BoJack’s up to, his decisions make a lot of sense.

>he just acts the way he does because it makes him happy
sounds like dumb dog behavior to me

Both PB and Bojack go through the same shit, they just CHOOSE to deal with their shit in different ways. PB CHOOSES to be happy. He's not 100% happy all the time, but pretending to be happy and actually being happy aren't as far apart as people think.

On the other hand Bojack CHOOSES to be unhappy. Even when he is happy, he chooses to be unhappy. And with enough booze and drugs, it's very easy to keep yourself unhappy.

PB and Bojack are the two sides of the same coin, which is why Bojack chooses to hate PB and PB chooses to like him.

He's kind of right.

MPB is a dumb dog who is ignorant to how unhappy he really is and rides around on a high horse.

This is why bojack dislikes him

>it's better to be a depressive sadsack constantly trying to drag everyone down with you than just minding your own business and trying to make the best of it even if your are kinda dense.

Bojack's kind of a dick, user. Even if PB can be legit dense at times.

I have depression and I act the same way, everyone thinks shit just rolls off me and I'm sooo funny. I'm saving the biggest punch line for when I kill myself. I'll play it like I'm fine and one day I'll weird out too hard and do it. What a shock that will be.

do you watch the show at all? Bojack is barely a dick to people unless they start to hassle him.

Besides. Ill take a dick horse before dealing with a dog who just shoves a faux happiness in your face all the time

>Mutt
...he's a yellow lab

>Bojack is barely a dick
This is untrue.
>That time he almost had sex with a child
>that time he had sex with tods ex girl friend
>that time his actions lead to the death of sarah lynn
>the whole business with herb
>that time he hired a character actress to sabotage his friends rock opera so that he wouldn't move out
>that time he hired the same character actress to sabotage a wedding becuase he fetishized one of the characters
>that time he bailed on his whole life like twice just because he didn't think he could handle it
Do you even understand what is shown on the screen? or do you think that bojack isn't at fault for his own shitty situation when the whole point of the show is to show that Bojack is a dick?

I said barely. There are many times where he is outgoing and trying to be a better person, but the world just wears on him. He is not faultless or perfect. Its the fact that he at least attempts to be a better person at times, regardless of faults or abusive childhood is very endearing.

sabotaging Todd was a huge dick move, but we also learn its because bojack was afraid to loose his friend. does it make it right? no. this is bojacks flaw of not being able to express himself properly.

bojack has empathy, even if sometimes it turns into a selfish empathy for himself. But he does seem to genuinely care about the people in his life when he can get past the ego.

He was kind of a fucker in the first season.

Mr PB has had two abusive marriages and is in a shitty third one. He mentioned basically being on the streets and starving when he landed the Mr. PB's House gig. He's also passive aggressive and underhanded in ways, but still a better and more direct person than most in the show. He is Bojack's foil in every way.

Who thinks things are going to end horribly for him though? Bojack may obsess over his problems, but Peanutbutter tries to ignore them. We have to wonder WHY his abusive ex-wife is trying to get him to run for governor. Why would they want that? Not only is he probably being duped into something and will be manipulated, but Diane will fuck him over by writing an expose on him in order to finally "do good" in the world and push her career forward. I think Peanutbutter might end up alone, and I think while Bojack's life might get slightly okay with his daughter, PB's life will fall apart. It might be Bojack that helps him for redemption.

There's a lot of foreshadowing for this. I don't know but I think he might end up miserable. I don't think the show is trying to show his way of thinking works in the long run. You can't ignore your problems or how unhappy you are. Sarah Lynn did this, she just escaped in drugs and alcohol rather than ideology.

I think that Mr. PeanutButter's character is...very much a dog. Abandonment issues, anxieties, trying to keep himself distracted, trusts too easily, but once they become broken society tries to put them down.

Kind of like how Bojack can only be happy if he's free, because he's a horse. But all of his life he's been a show horse, which is why he's miserable. Show horses are killed or discarded when they can't perform anymore.

Anyone going to talk about how fucked up it is that Diane agreed to be a part of that blog specifically to write something on her husband? WIthout talking to him once in the show about if the thing he was doing bothered her or upset her or offended her?

she will fuck up the only good thing in her life and the only person that's truly good to her. she is a lot like bojack, she just keeps denying it.

I think something along the lines of this too. With a show that revolves around failure, PB has been built up way too much to end without a huge fall that will humble him. Bojack is guilty of not being able to express himself, but PB masking it to save face and bottle reality will be his ultimate downfall.

My perdictions are that PB will get angry/violent toward Bojack. Bojack will knock him out, getting what he always wanted but then have the sobering realization it didn't make him feel any better and finally realize PB is just as damaged as him, but chooses to hide it. Bojack is at least attempting to deal with his problems up front and he will pitty PB for being the more self destructive personality.

I feel this, man. I think it would be such a good way to show how Bojack has changed as much as he's capable of. If he takes no joy in seeing PB alone in the end, if they have a cathartic and real fight, and if he actually pities him and might even want to help.

But I predict Bad End for PB.

In the scene at the party where Diane and Bojack say nasty things about each other, every one of their accusations is true of both of them.

I don't want anything bad to happen to Mr Peanutbutter though.

In Season 1 I hated Diana/Peanutbutter. In Season 2 I loved them, even though I would have broken up with her for a lie like that. In season 3 I am back to hating them again when she implies she'd betray him for her career. What the hell is wrong with her?

The cracks are beginning to manifest. Give it time.

What is wrong with you people? Just let a dog be a good boy and have a good life.

She's realising her own hypocracy and has to delude herself to fight against it. Remember in season 2 when Kelsey's daughter said she was outdated by today's feminist standards? That got to her. Also she's shown no inclination towards writing or even working since writing Bojack's book, she'd have been more productive in having the baby than sitting on her ass in her husband's Hollywoo mansion taking drugs.

I just am shocked since it seems like she was at least making an attempt to embrace happiness and try to be a healthier person with her husband. It just really shocked me when Diane took that job under the agreement and implication of being able to betray her husband.

She really is outdated. If she was offended or upset by the Hooters On Wheels business, why didn't she just talk to her husband about it ? The fact that she'll try to ruin his image and career over it when she didn't have a big enough problem to talk to him honestly shows that she creates faux outrage for an image and ideal. It's just baffling because I thought she was better than that.

Am I the only one who thought season 3 was especially fucked up?

The point the show is trying to make is that anyone who seems too happy and too perfect is either very stupid or hiding deep emotional turmoil. With Mr. Peanut Butter, it's hard to pin point which sometimes.

On one hand he has all of these moments of blissful stupidity (the skunk thing in Season 3, the party in season 2, the reality show in season 1) that piss people the fuck off but work out for him in the end when he wags his tail and pretends like he did nothing wrong. He's happy when things go his way.

But then he also has these startling moments of clarity that let us know he's not completely stupid. For instance, he flat out tells Diane the meaning of life isn't happiness but filling your time with meaningless stupidity until you die and tells Bojack that he is fully aware of how Bojack treats him and how much of an ass he is, and he's at least semi aware that Diane isn't as good and altruistic as she says she is but feels he's too old to go yet another round with someone new.

His character is built around the idea that he is Bojack with an upbeat attitude. He has some idea that people don't actually like him and he's aware to some extent that people see him as a clown. That's why he lives his life completely immersed in the vapid party life style of Hollywoo culture; so he can forget that at the end of the day, he's just as miserable and unhappy as anyone else.

Because, even though he does everything as good as he can, even when he hates almost nobody and helps everyone, his life can still suck balls, since life ain't fair

It hasn't really bit him in the ass though like it continuously does with Bojack. Granted, Peanutbutter doesn't fuck things up with people like Bojack does and seems to get used and taken advantage of more, but I think it's that obfuscating and fake stupid act he puts on that protects himself and others from turning into complete trainwreck relationships like Bojack does. It acts as a barrier to never get too toxic on his end.

He had two wives that treated him like shit but so far seems to have been a karma houdini. Even his brother had a good ending.

I agree with all of this. But, I think that if he does end up in a bad ending, it won't have anything to do with Bojack. They already had their thing in Season 2 when he reamed into him for being a shitty friend and Bojack broke down to him. They barely interact in Season 3 and when they do, it's usually amicable and Bojack seems to have a much better relationship with him.

What I'm seeing is Peanut Butter realizing that Diane will never be happy despite everything he does for her, and that will cause him to break. She's done WAY worse shit to him than Bojack ever did. She lied to him about being gone for 2 months because she hated the idea of "phony hollywoo" marriage, she is more than willing to throw him aside for Bojack, she gets mad at him for being around, she openly admits to being willing to sabotage his career for her own, and to top it all off she openly acts like she thinks he is stupid despite his continuous efforts to prove to her that he isn't.

I believe that his bad ending will come when he asks for a divorce. The real loser in the situation will probably be Diane.

This i could live with. Even though it will be sad for Peanutbutter to have had three failed marriages where he was treated like shit, it at least ends in him standing up for himself. Diane needs to either prove she deserves Peanutbutter or end up the loser.

But she'll probably try to rebound with Bojack, so it would be really good if Bojack didn't let her because he knew she was doing it out of pain. Not that Bojack has ever been that un-selfish.

I think Mr PB's bad end will be worse than that, but I don't think Bojack will have anything to do with it. I Think it will be a combination of the public, his ex-wife, politics, Diane, and how he's treated in general. Bojack and PB are on pretty neutral and okay terms with each other.

>he's at least semi aware that Diane isn't as good and altruistic as she says she is but feels he's too old to go yet another round with someone new.

oh god this. Diane does not know how good she has it with Mr. PB and will probably ask for a divorce for some stupid reason

I just want everyone to be happy. but the show is too real. Great show, maybe their lesson is they'll have to redefine what they consider happiness.

>pic related, the world is indeed a fuck

I did think it was pretty weird that they built up that his brother might die and then bailed on that. I feel like that fake out exists for a sinister reason though since Sarah Lynn got a fake out as well.

This was very well thought out and written. And I got the same feelings, but could never word them.

PB isn't perfect. Stop putting him on a pedestal because he's cute and seemingly happy. He's as fucked as everyone else in the cast. It just hasn't caught up to him yet.

I can see a scene of the two of them sleeping together and Bojack realizing how wrong it is and then telling Mr. Peanutbutter. It may actually be the "big" moment for the series finale. Bojack finally gets the hit movie and gets the girl, then realizes he was never in a hit movie and the girl he was chasing turned out to be just as terrible and broken as he is.

My ultimate ender for the series is Bojack telling Mr. Peanutbutter what he did and apologizing for everything right before he leaves LA for good to find his next step in life. It would be a great way for Mr. Peanutbutter to have a moment of clarity as he stands up for himself, a way to get Todd to finally hold some independence, comeuppance for Diane and her shitty behavior, and a clean break for Princess Carolyne.

Peanutbutter/Princess Carolyn ending.

The thing about this show that people don't seem to get is that the animal motifs are there for a reason other than "lol animal pun."

Princess Carolyne embodies everything a cat is: impeccably neat and tidy with a strict regimen and order to everything she does. Pinky is a penguin who keeps having his habitat destroyed by bigger companies and is terrified that he will soon "be extinct," Cuddlywhiskers was doomed to a life of running on the same wheel over and over again, Wanda is constantly aloof and floating above the emotional hardships around her while somehow having all the best advice, an so forth. The animal motifs are way more subtle and underlying than originally appearing.

With that in mind, you can only beat a dog so many times before he bites back.

I didn't read this entirely right, and thought you meant PB and Bojack sleeping together. Which, while a little unexpected, doesn't seem too outlandish to the show's nature. They've already made out.

So how do you think every character is going to end
>Bojack
He will drive out of LA and go and live alone somewhere
>Mr. PB
Will kill himself
>Diana
Divorced and sad
>Todd
Will get his own apartment and be somewhat happy
>Princess Carolyn
Honestly I have no idea

Maybe not Bojack, but it would be interesting to see Mr. Peanutbutter cheat on Diane. I'd love to see a scene play out where he comes home, she's on the sofa looking all happy to see him and ready to try yet another go round of being the happy house wife she thinks she can be, and he'll flatly just tell her "I cheated and I don't want to be married anymore."

It would be a hard blow for Diane and a bitch movie for Mr. Peanutbutter, but a lesson for both of them.

Mr Peanutbutter wouldn't do that though. He's not perfect, but he's a dog. He's loyal. And he's been cheated on in both of his previous marriages and was very honest and open with Diane when he was nervous about her cheating. I just don't see it.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised either.
Princess Carolyn already seems to have seeds planted to ruin her relationship with the mouse because she's going back to being miserable career woman when he just wants to take care of her. I think she needs things to fix and needs broken people to fix as well, it's a sick addiction she has that might ruin the happiness she has at the moment. It sucks because unlike Diane, I actually really like Carolyn. Just like I liked Kelsey.

I think the series won't end so badly. Despite everything, there is a very slight optimistic tone to the show's nature. The season 2 ending proves it can be done.

Maybe things won't turn out perfectly for the cast, or have them end up exactly where they wanted, but they'll still end up somewhere... okay.

This is what I love about the show. The animal motif is so strong for Bojack, with the show horse/wild free horse dichotomy. We've never seen ONE "show horse" in the series happily. Secretariat killed himself in disgrace, Bojack's mother was terrifying, abusive and miserable, and Bojack's fucked up. He's wanted to be free and he does that with his alcoholism and escapism instead.

With Peanutbutter it's more tricky. We see that he is treated like shit but loves unconditionally, he's anxious deep down and terrified of abandonment and not being loved back, but a theme and joke that was brought up in the show was dogs being "put down" as well. So we have two major themes of dogs that have yet to play out with him -- a dog biting back, or a dog being put down. Both usually come together. Not that I think he'll die, but be put down in a different way.

I don't have faith for some cast members, but I think everyone will be in a slightly okay place. Even though I am a beliver that PB's life will go to shit, I also believe Bojack might help him at his lowest moment.

I have hope Bojack will be saved by his daughter. I think she's going to be his salvation.

>Princess Carolyn

What Princess Carolyn needs to realize is that its ok to take a day off every once in a while, to recharge her batteries.

Her story arc in season 3 basically culminated in her burning out shortly after meeting the mouse guy, taking a short break, then deciding to become a manager.

>>That time he almost had sex with a child
Not a child, and the situation was far more complicated than that. He did the right thing three times and broke down in the last. That's not being a dick.

>>that time he had sex with tods ex girl friend
She wasn't ever his girlfriend, and she agreed to it. Also after all he DID do for Todd he doesn't get to bitch about anything.

>>that time his actions lead to the death of sarah lynn
She self destructed just as she announced she would. He's also a mess and can't be expected to help someone else who's just as broken as he is.

>>the whole business with herb
He didn't have much of a choice in the original issue between them. And he cut ties because he felt ashamed of what he ended up doing, which made it even worse for him in the end.

>>that time he hired a character actress to sabotage his friends rock opera so that he wouldn't move out
True dick move, but hey, season 1.

>>that time he hired the same character actress to sabotage a wedding becuase he fetishized one of the characters
The wedding was only happening because of the one thing he did. Had he succeeded nobody would call him a dick, he'd just be someone who worked hard to conquer the woman he loved.

>>that time he bailed on his whole life like twice just because he didn't think he could handle it
Crumbling down as a person isn't being a dick. It's the result of being broken and having absolutely no one to help him. Because he keeps surrounding himself with people who can only pretend to care about him or are indebted to him somehow. He's not even able to seek help.

He really is ACTIVELY barely a dick. And most of the times he's doing something bad to someone it's only to sabotage his own fleeting "happiness".
Unlike your usual dick, he doesn't enjoy being one. Being "famous" and high and mighty is the only way he knows to not be alone, because he doesn't think anybody can love him. Because nobody did in his first years.

>He did the right thing three times and broke down in the last. That's not being a dick.
It doesn't matter how many times you've done the "right" choice in a situation like that. Doing the wrong choice even once is enough to permanently label you a dick.
How many other times you didn't do something wrong is no defence for doing something wrong.

>Remember in season 2 when Kelsey's daughter said she was outdated by today's feminist standards?
I don't. What happened?

Diana was in charge of watching a teenager, they then try to kidnap a chickens

Well there are things you have control over and things you don't. The sooner that you learn to accept the things that you don't have comtrol over and do something about the things that you do, you'll be a happier person. The problem is that most people don't know the difference. Mr. Peanut butter does know the difference while virtually none of the characters even consider that there's a difference at all.

He's pretty broken himself. He just expresses it differently. The dog has issues, he's just good at distracting himself from them.

>perfect

He's selfish, superficial, and immature. He's what, 50? Fuck that guy.

He's had selfish moments, but sorry, he's been shown to be a lot more selfless than most of the characters in the show. It's a low bar, I know, but still. He's not very superficial either, but he is very emotionally stunted so I will give you that. But "immature" is relative to the situation. He's acted immature in some situations and very mature and communicative in others.

user, i don't know what's going on in your life, but i care about you

>Mr. PB becomes governor
>they try to control him
>he fucks up but somehow everything always works out
>he eventually "bites back" and tries to run it himself
>everything falls apart

The ironing. I can see it happen.

>He is not faultless or perfect
Does multiple inexcusable things "But guys he's not perfect".
>But he does seem to genuinely care about the people in his life when he can get past the ego.
You could say the exact same about Mr. Peanutbutter, the difference is Mr. Peanutbutter doesn't do inexcusable shit.

>but it would be interesting to see Mr. Peanutbutter cheat on Diane.
That just seems so far removed from his character though. The character whose fault is being way too loyal to people to do something that is so antithetical to that would just not work.

I absolutely love Mr. Peanutbutter, he isn't perfect but he has the perfect balance of kindheartedness and caring that he's really lovable. He has flaws definitely but I find him impossible to hate.

PB outright admits everything he does is motivated by cowardice and denial because he can't face life at its true value and so he knowingly wears rose tinted glasses. He'll never grow as a person because he's quietly denying everything he sees and hiding how he actually feels.

Bojack on the other hand is upfront to a fault, which puts him in a much more vulnerable position. Bojack is forced to learn lessons because of his confrontational attitude and is slowly becoming a better person because of it while PB slowly rots.

His career will probably end in disgrace after Diane ends up writing some article about him. They've been foreshadowing this hard.