Budget: 19,000,000
Released August 12th 2016
14 days

19,000,000/100 = 190,000 = 1%
71,042,916/190,000 = 374%~

374% of original budget made in 14 days

50,001,019 for the first week
50,001,019/190,000 = 263%~

In their first week, kubo made back 22% of the budget, whereas SP made 263% in the same amount of time

This is obscene. Please tell me i fucked up the math. This can't be correct. You said it would happen Sup Forums, i didn't want to believe you.

Kubo had a much smaller add campaign compared to sausage party.

True. But that shouldn't make this much difference.

kubo also has his eyes placed too high on his face
if you can't even get that part right, why should I watch your movie?

Good it looks like stupid pandering garbage

Nike
Fourth quarter revenues up 6 percent to $8.2 billion; 9 percent growth excluding currency changes
Worldwide futures orders up 8 percent; 11 percent growth excluding currency changes
Fiscal 2016 revenues up 6 percent to $32.4 billion; 12 percent growth excluding currency changes
They're fine.

Well, hopefully Kubo will win some awards.

>implying it wont make gangbusters on BD/DVD/streaming sales

did laika made a profit with boxtrolls?

You fucking autistics still do not understand that Laikia does not need money?
Like yes it sucks that parents aren't taking their kids to this film (because adults watching solo are never the bread and butter of kids films) but it really is so fucking irrelevant

>Sup Forums incessantly talks about how it'll be funny that some people will think Sausage Party is a kids' film just because it's animated
>Sup Forums incessantly compares the revenue of Sausage Party to a kids' film just because it's animated
Fucking retards

I thought this movie was anti-Buddhist since the bad guy is literally Nirvana but it turns out the director is Buddhist so I don't know what the fuck. Are there competing schools of thought in Buddhism and some of them think Nirvana is bad or something?

For starters S.Party was cheaper to make

Sausage Party saved money by not paying its animators.

This. Travis Knight made Kubo so it would exist, not to keep LAIKA alive. This is literally a hobby for him, like that one billionaire recreating the Titantic. Rich people don't do passion projects to get richer, they do it to be happier, as shocking as that sounds to poorfags.

>I thought this movie was anti-Buddhist since the bad guy is literally Nirvana but it turns out the director is Buddhist so I don't know what the fuck. Are there competing schools of thought in Buddhism and some of them think Nirvana is bad or something?

Maybe not that some of them think it is BAD, but have different ideas about what it means and advocating the wrong idea is bad.

Philosphy's a hell of a drug.

pandering to who might I ask?

Monkey mom panders to my dick, does that count?

I don't think so? Maybe? I don't see too much r34 of monkey girls to begin with. Hand-foot jobs.

I want to see this movie again.

Is the 3D any good on this?

Coralline was the best movie I've ever seen in 3D, so this is probably almost as good with 3D effects

That's my thought process, but rewatching Coraline I realized that there seemed to be more "made for 3D" moments that didn't just tack it on. I dunno.

/thread

Honestly, what bugs me isn't so much about profits, it's the idea that people LIKE the idea of Sausage Party period.

Hell, it wouldn't have to be Kubo topping it, Sausage Party is just... Made of why? And people went to see it.

It was pretty good, but nothing amazing.

This.

Also, Kubo was fantastic.

This bugs the hell out of me too. But I guess controversy sells.

You wanna hear what's really sad? Kubo used the largest stop motion puppet to ever appear in a film (the giant skeleton) and with that particular style of animation, it takes about a week to do just 3 seconds of animation depending on the scene. Kubo has about 1,000X more heart and soul put into it and it's losing to a script that was probably written over a weekend by some guy who was perpetually baked.

> Reminder that Laika is owned by Nike co-founder and chairman Phil Knight. His son, Travis Knight is it's president and CEO

I wouldn't be to worried about how much it makes.

>A company that puts a huge amount of work into movies that make no money is kept alive by a company that puts no work into merchandise that makes a huge amount of money

Same here. But I am more worried about what the film producers will take away from this. It would give them excuse to do more shitty movies.

It's kinda like how Capcom is financially hanging by a thread made of awful Resident Evil games and Street Fighter rehashes. They've been hemorrhaging money for the past 10 years and should by definition cease to exist as a business. But here they are, still making shit games no one asked for.

That's true, but it's still good for the animation industry in general when a really good animated movie makes a lot of money. It brings attention to what was done right and makes other studios try to emulate. Admittedly those studios usually manage to fuck up when they try to copy success, but we still do get a few more who get it right.

Sausage Party isn't completely awful, but it doing well encourages studios to make more mindless movies like it because that's where the money is.

In Buddhism you follow the noble 8 fold path, which is basically 8 rules that you must always follow in order to reach enlightenment

However, once you do each enlightenment/nirvana you must maintain it, and that's the hard part

If the moon king was nirvana personified, then Kubo's humanity was something that the moon king lost a long time ago, thus driving him to madness and a false sense of nirvana