Green Lantern Thread. Let's do this

Green Lantern Thread. Let's do this.
What do you think of the franchise and its history, hell it's current state and future?

Favorite Lantern, doesn't even have to be Earth or Corps related. Favorite stories, arcs, whatever.
Let's just talk about Green Lantern and what makes it great. Fuck, even the low points.

>Inb4 Jessica is your waifu

Other urls found in this thread:

hentai-foundry.com/search/index?query=natu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They should stop shilling Hal as the "greatest Lantern that ever lived"

But user, he hits things the hardest. That makes him the best!

>Favorite Lantern / Sexiest Lantern related female...
Natu.
hentai-foundry.com/search/index?query=natu

Do her and Kyle even have a history together anymore?

What's some essential "I've seen the Animated Series a dozen times and have only read Secret Origin and thought it was okay"-core?

Who would waifu Jessica when Simon is right there being husbando bait?

Where's the Geoff Johns GL user been? Haven't seen him in like a week or so

I think he was only planning to go to Blackest Night

I wish they just had Simon in the Lantern book with Cruz and then Cruz alone is on Justice League.
Mister Miracle being used instead of Baz would have been nice.

>What do you think of the franchise and its history, hell it's current state and future?
I love GL in general although its current state leaves a lot to be desired (and has for the past few years)

GLs isn't bad but it's not very good either

Hal&Pals also isn't bad (so far) but it's not great either and I'm baffled as to how Venditti is still on the fucking book, just go away already

>Favorite stories, arcs, whatever
My favorite GL writer is Wolfman

Go with the war of light era stuff, you're going to have a good time

Just don't fucking jump on Blackest Night right away because "muh cool power rangers fighting zombies"

>Favorite Lantern, doesn't even have to be Earth or Corps related.
Usually I'd say Hal, Guy or Two-Six but right now it's pic related.

Hal a best

Green Lantern #6 final cover with a modification of the trade dress which shows the new arc. For some bizarre reason that cover's textless version (originally solicited with a placeholder cover that turned out to be #4's cover) and its variant are yet to be revealed.

Green Lanterns #7 cover

>putting arc names and numbers on the cover
bless

Variant

Show them off to Sam Humphries or Andrew Marino on Twitter

You should really try branching out beyond the Johns run.

The 80's Green Lantern Corps series includes stuff like Alan Moore's classic issues, Steve Englehart's run, and the original Omega Men stories, and then leads into Emerald Dawn, Gerard Jones' run and Emerald Twilight.

Of course very little of this is present in the TV show. For that you'll be best just reading the Johns/Gibbons/Tomasi/etc stuff in trade order.

>Wolfman
Tip top taste

Do what I did, read them all.

The return of Green Lantern/Green Arrow era is horrible... but god damn did I read it.

I didn't like Hard Travelling Heroes at all.
Especially that story with cult leader.

So I know most aren't big fans of every adversary having a different colored ring.

What would you do to fix that?

Show villains who aren't ring wielders. But no, we either get rings or some dumb OC alien warlords.

No contest

But what villains would you want to see instead?

GL has a huge as fuck rogues gallery. At this point I'd be happy with fucking Goldface or Sonar.

Personally? Major Disaster.

We have a whole cosmos at hand it could be anything. How about letting a sector being overrun by grey goo? How about a mafia boss underatstimating the Corps and starts to human(alien)traffikng and one or two lanterns do a cover mission to infiltrate the organisation.
They could explore the galaxies instead of having five or six lanterns hanging around on earth. That's why The Green Lantern Corps is probably my favorite book of them.
This could be so much more then people shooting colourfull beams at each other

As far as DC is concerned I felt like the GLC is the only thing that connects the earth to the vastness of space other than your obvious alien invasion. I mean it's obvious why but so few alien species seem to give 2 shits about earth in dc

The "Hal goes renegade/becomes wanted" plots need to be banned i swear ive seen like 3 arcs of that since Johns ended his run

>This could be so much more then people shooting colourfull beams at each other

Also, stop with the prophesies and universe ending bullshit. It's become stale.

Restore Zamarons to what they were pre-Violet Lanterns with some adjustments.

Blue Lanterns are now actually a subdivision of the GLC instead of their own corps, like field medics.

Sinestro Corps and Red Lanterns are fine as they are, Black Hand too.

Indigo Tribe and Larfleeze are great villains/anti-heroes, just downplay the lantern/power ring aspects to make them more unique.

GL has some great Silver/Bronze Age villains to bring back, I thought Venditti was going to but he ended up doing jack shit with them.

Let's have some space politics, star treks and wars. Right now they're so removed from any galactic significance, there's no interaction with the cosmic side of things, it's just the Corps being attacked by some big thing and everyone shooting green lasers at it.

Sonar's back. No fancy costume, he looks more like Max Lord with that black t-shirt.
>tfw GordonBats said "Modora is postage stamp"
>Hal went to Modora because he looked for postage stamps
>they didn't even have post office

They need to stop focusing on the state of the Corps. Every fucking event and thing is always BUT HOW WILL THE CORPS SURVIVE?!!! or THE CORPS IS NOW GONE FOREVER!!! Just tell fucking stories about the GL's doing shit. The GLC itself should be the background for good stories, not the story itself.

Bleez

Give my some down time earth GLs hanging out like they used too.

Peaked with Sinestro Corps War, even as rushed as it was. It was just so good.

Devaluing and disenchanting the power ring by making a whole spectrum of other colors and giving each their own pokemon avatar really spoiled the whole thing for me. I get that it really boosted the popularity of the book and the franchise, but I still think it was all kind of dumb. I know I'll get flak for that, but I'm a purist. It was interesting and new when the Sinestro Corps rose up because it was a force antithetical to the Green Lanterns, but that became less special the more colors they added. Also, making Natu Sinestro's daughter was lame and unnecessary; it's that Star Wars syndrome of everyone ever being related thus no one being interesting unto themselves.

Guy is the best Lantern.

You guys hate me, don't you?

Fucking get rid of the emotional spectrum beyond green and yellow.

Most of people think way you do so no, no hate.
Most of people will hate you for liking Guy, though.

Seriously, they've been in constant siege mode since the War of Light, I think.
Nearly that long at least.

You are a few years late, they have stopped with that since at least Venditti and that has been their worst mistake...

>their worst mistake
Hal "Literally Got Away with Murder" Jordan is the worst Green Lantern who ever lived.

Really? Where is she right now? I could love to read something with she in it...

Anyway, pic related needs to happen asap.

Tangent comics, bunch of Elseworlds one-shots, Green Lantern among them.

They had the chance to make the Orange Lantern the scariest mutherfucker in the galaxy.

Thank you very much user, I will try to find at least some of it...
>Most of people will hate you for liking Guy, though.
Why? Guy is... well an awesome guy, he was great in Sinestro War but in general Guy was great in all that era, at least to me...

>Star Wars syndrome

Star Wars would be 100000x better if it abandoned Star Wars syndrome

I would recommend going to the beginning of Johns' run and reading from there. Yes, there will be bunch of references to things past, but you can either look into those or just take them as they come.

This isn't to say Johns' era is the be all, end all of Green Lantern, but it is the stuff that is the most like the animated GL things, and it is one of the biggest eras in GL history, so it is a good place to start.

Because Guy is jingoist loudmouth and he sucks!!!
Usual reply I see. I wouldn't be surprised if Simon ranked lower now, though.

Aaaw, look how happy they are.
Cruz and Baz have really won me over.

Hard Travelling Heroes is historically significant, but boy oh boy has it aged really horribly.

Also knowing that it was partially a response to Easy Rider diminishes the emotional impact.

As someone who got into GL during Johns' era, that will probably always be my favourite one. I have gone back and read several of the older GL runs, but while there are good times (and some terrible times), I think your preferred version of a franchise is usually the one you originally fell in love with.

I do have a huge soft spot for Silver Age GL, though that might actually make sense, seeing how Johns' paid homage to many elements from that era.

Current state of GL franchise is, in my eyes, quite sad. Venditti has failed to deliver a single solid story arc, fumbling every time at the end. He has also put quite a lot of effort into destroying many things that Johns' run set up, but hasn't actually established anything new that would be good or interesting. Since he didn't get replaced at Rebirth, we are probably stuck with him for at least another year, which means 24 issues thanks to the double shipping.

One of the problems with GL, besides Venditti, is that there seems to be this mindset that every story needs to be IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT. Part of the appeal of GLC is that you could have all kinds of stories set in space. The big event stories only feel big if you also have smaller stories, and we haven't really had those in a long time.

Oh, and Hal is my waifu.

>One of the problems with GL, besides Venditti, is that there seems to be this mindset that every story needs to be IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT. Part of the appeal of GLC is that you could have all kinds of stories set in space.
Johns' GL was too successful for its own good.

It be nice for them to have a "welcome to the earth green Lantern club" for the two newbies. Maybe the old 4 sharing tales while having a cook out.

They should have down played the goofyness a bit. He was intimidating the first couple of issues and that shit was hype as hell.

This is basically me as well.

This

Let them be friends again please

There are a bunch of GL villains they could reinvent. Replikon, Polaris, Ferenc Aldebaran, Flicker, Lamplighter, Eclipso, Grayven, Effigy, Duality, etc. Just give them a cool redesign and a relevant backstory and forget about the rainbow rings for one second.

>Part of the appeal of GLC is that you could have all kinds of stories set in space.
This. I wonder what an Abnett GLC would be like. He's doing nice political shenanigans with Aquaman and we know he can write good cosmic stories.

I'd like to see King on a Hal lead GL book with Abnett on a GLC book

I could get behind that. Sadly, we are stuck with Venditti for at least another year.

The new Sonar has actually grown on me. Rather than be a Monarch trying to put Modora on the map as a superpower by stealing shit, he's a terrorist putting Modora doing things that would very much get the attention of the world in our time. It makes sense in a modern re-invention and I'd like to see what they can do with it.

I thought it was a decent reinvention but the story itself kinda fizzled out. I would have gladly given up the Parallax issues that came after it for a longer arc with Sonar

I miss him. ;_;

Yep, New 52 Sonar is solid. Even if his "kill people until they notice you" reminds me of Flashpoint Grodd and him killing everyone in Africa until someone notices him.
Nobody cares about Africa.
Of course it fizzled out, it's Venditti writing GL. It's even worse that I bought the hype and thought it'll be ultimate showdown between Parallax and Hal and... it's even the worst Parallax.

Damn it, I love Karu-Sil. Why is she never used?! I even feel like they made a male version of her and use him all the times in the Sinestro book (though I forget his name).

More Karu-Sil damn it!

Sounds like an annual with an anthology format.
They can each tell a story, maybe a fifth one all together, and end it by telling Baz and Jess that they're going to have their own stories soon.
Maybe invite the Guardian that's hanging around Earth too.

And for the love of god, send them to Killowag. Jessica especially, by his standards she shouldn't have a badge.

>I even feel like they made a male version of her
Wears the Hannibal Lecter mask and reminds me of Alex DeLarge?

This guy? Nah, he's gay samurai with demon mask.

He also ended up as a Red Lantern

>Of course it fizzled out, it's Venditti writing GL. It's even worse that I bought the hype and thought it'll be ultimate showdown between Parallax and Hal and... it's even the worst Parallax.
I feel like every time I was willing to Kerri giving Venditti a chance because something sounded like it might be cool he let me down with the ending every single time

I am a fool

Probably the other dude. The dark haired one in your image. He does kinda look like a male version of Karu-Sil.

Oh, Danzig Lantern? His face was kind of messed up but he wasn't much like Karu-sil

>Venditti has at least twelve issues completed and 24 plotted out
If I can survive three years of this fucker what's one more, r-right? ;_;

Guess how fast was that dropped.
Yeah, him. Only one side is messed up, though.

Forgot image, silly me.

>Guess how fast was that dropped.
To be fair dogfucker likely started writing GLs before Dez ever showed up as a Red

I agree. And yes Guy is the best."

I feel like this is what made me love Red Lanterns so much, i never had to give a fuck about the corps, just see a group of friends having a good time...them everything changed when Atrocitus attacked

Soon, user

soon

>yfw he still eats sausage even though he's Golden Age Alan.

Could be worse, at least its not a gay interracial relationship

Gay Alan's boyfriend was Asian

Don't you know? It's only interracial of if one of them is brown.

This will only happen if they literally move the E2 versions over. Otherwise they'll just be two versions.

Hey at least he isn't the bottom, its fucking impossible to find a fictional interracial couple with the black being the dom

>Hey at least he isn't the bottom
You don't know that, maybe he likes getting fucked by Chinese twinks

Hmm, now I'm not sure which way it would be hotter.

The bigger/more masculine guy on the bottom is usually really hot

>Wolfman
Most patrician taste. That issue where Hal crosses the arctic is one of my favorite single issues ever.

Literally when? Generally people seem to go for "pedophile" or "bland" when bashing Hal, never seen murderer before.

I still love the characterizations of Hal, Ollie and Dinah in that though.

>Jade doesn't exist, or if she does she's not his natural daughter
No, it couldn't be worse.

They call him a murderer because of Sinestro and Kilowog

Emerald Twilight. Hal killed a few Lanterns, left the rest in deep space with no rings. You can throw all the "It was Parallax" retcons you want at it, but at the time Hal murdered quite a few people and spent years trying to kill the Cyborg Superman.
The stupid thing is that most people had forgiven Hal of this after he died (I say most because Boodika and some other lanterns that got left in space resurrected Kilowog in an attempt to go kill Tom Kalmaku and Hal's son), then come Rebirth everyone is back to square one of "I DON'T TRUST YOU, YOU WERE THE GREATEST OF US".

I wouldn't mind resting between Soranik's thighs

I love Hal and Dinah, but I really cannot stand Ollie. He is so terrible that even a person who agrees with his political leanings would vote for the other party just to spite him.