Who played it best?

Who played it best?

FUN mode: Who played the best Clark and who played the best Superman?

Reeve>Cavill>Smallville>half gook>who cares

never seen this alyn fella before. he has the best hair, which is kind of sad.
anyway obviously reeve was the best but dean cain played the best clark.. sort of. reeve's dorky clark was pretty fantastic. and routh did a good job of copying him
still for me it'll always be Daly. and if his hair was darker he could have played him live too

I'd say Christopher Reeve played both best but I suppose it depends what version of superman you are looking for.

Cavill is the best Byrne style/modern superman/Clark Kent

George Reeves was the best golden age supes

I should at that George Reeves Clark Kent wasn't very golden age, in fact I believe byrnes version of Clark Kent was inspired by George Reeves

Cavill is nothing like Byrne's Superman.

ok kid

Welling made a spectacular Clark, as far as personality went anyway, until the show ate shit. I mean, EVERYBODY ate shit when the show did, but still. He made a good "Hey I'm 6'3" and could crush you like soup cracker, but p-p-please don't bully me" kinda guy at first, and then developed as time went on.

Reeve is god-tier all around. I don't know why his Superman movies got so much shit, other than the effects sucking, he played the role better than that big guy who played Bane in The Nolan Knight Rises

I don't remember Byrne's Superman being so silent and depressed

Just that one scene where he switches between the Clark and Superman persona, really sells the idea someone could be fooled by the whole disguise.

Reeve was the best one on all accounts.

Cain played the best Clark by far

Dean Cain definitely had the best Clark.He just felt so human and like that was really him. Reeves Clark is a caricature.
Welling is fine but it has too much teen drama shit in there which kind of ruins it a lot.
Routh's is just a diet Reeves Clark.
Cavill's Clark felt pretty legit but at the same time i feel like we never really saw Clark open up in any sense and come off as sort of boring which goes in line with his trying to just blend with the paint.

Reeves probably has the best Superman even if it is a little too "boyscout" for me. It felt like Superman was him being himself
Cain's feels too much like an act and I prefer Clark and Supes to feel like the same person but with a bit of a spin.
Welling don't count
Routh just kind of comes off as an imitation and never gets it's own face
Cavill while I feel he's in character, it focuses WAAAAAY too much on the more somber/distant side of Superman.

Reeve is best, there's no arguing. Cavill is also great, hate wagon aside, mother fucker knew how to give me shills with whenever he slowy descended to earth.

>give me shills

What an unfortunate typo.

This. I don't feel Cavill was "great" but he 100% looked the part and all of the Superman effects got rock hard.

You should try reading Byrne's Superman stuff. It's really good.

Don't lie to him, only Man of Steel is good

Nah, pretty much the whole run is good.

what movie did you watch? I remember Byrne's superman dealing with questions of morality and his impact on humanity (like when Lex got cancer from the kryptonite ring). I remember Byrne's superman also having thought bubbles to tell us he was thinking this while in the movies they had to use visual language to depict this.

>they had to use visual language to depict this.
And they utterly failed at it.

Chris Reeves was the best superman, and Brandon Routh was a good Reeves impression

Honestly, Routh's resemblance to Reeves is kind of uncanny.

Ironically, Kevin spacey looks eerily like Gene Hackman.

Guess they really lucked out that they got two actors who look exactly like their predecesors

Chris Reeve best Superman
Dean Cain far and away best Clark

Ironically, Reeve was next to worst Clark. Cain next to worst Superman. Cavill is worse everything

Vin Diesel

Reeve had the best Clark, no contest. But his Superman was very much Silver Age.

he literately got the role because Singer thought they were twins or something after seeing his headshot
he was a washed up actor working as a bartender when he got the call

I'm always going to remember Cain's portrayal of Clark. He really reinforced the idea of Clark as normal guy trying to help people by acting out his idea of a hero. A bit of a hammy Superman, but still his ideal of what a classic hero should act like.

As for best Superman? It's a tough call. As much as I like Cavill, the DCEU's going to take forever to let him be anything close to a realized Superman.

So, in lieu of a more modern interpretation, I'd say George Reeves. His Superman always had a situation under control, playfully enjoying his nigh omnipotence. Yet he still gave off an aura of charm and almost fatherly warmth that reminded you he was here to help.

I always thought Cavill is just too young and sexy to be a good superman/Clark. Superman is like the ultimate dad, the guy every boy measures his dad against, who protects the world with a smile and inspires you and tells you your great. I always wanted a forty year old actor for superman, like pic related.

This.

I also feel like Cavill's Superman feels way too much like an act. With his interpretation, the "true" Superman/Clark Kent comes out whenever he's with Lois or his mother. Thus, I always felt like he was being intentionally wooden when he was out in public as Superman. I understand what he's going for just fine but it just doesn't work for me. Like, it should be okay to show some emotion as Superman too, really.

Ah, I kind of want this too, honestly.

I thought MoS and BvS both had a lot of issues (especially the latter, which I didn't even like that much), but I felt like Cavill was fine in the role. Could be potentially better but I don't hate him. But more importantly, I have nothing against having a younger Superman and would love to see something like Morrison's AC run brought to life, with a young bishie Superman just starting out his career and whatnot.

But I have to admit, Superdad would be so great.

I always thought that Cavill would be dismissed as a terrible Clark if it weren't for his delicious pecs that DCfriends are gay for.
Once his bald comes out full force he'll be forgotten and disregarded. He has less than half the charisma of any of the other Supermen in the OP's pic.
He has only two modes: dull as fuck handsome and Full Calculon.

>but I felt like Cavill was fine in the role.

That's because you have your bar set at "le handsome guy who occasionally smiles).

The bar for DC cinematic heroes is incredibly low.

one movie (Man from U.N.C.L.E.) is enough to show that it's Snyder's demented idiotic mind that prevented Cavill from delivering

That Superman drawing looks like Jon Hamm

I liked Caville as Superman but good lord was he a shitty Clark Kent

>I always thought that Cavill would be dismissed as a terrible Clark if it weren't for his delicious pecs that DCfriends are gay for.
Nah, don't be like that, homie. I think his "real" Clark when he's in private with Lois or his mom is actually pretty good. And his other Clark, when he's working at the Daily Planet is actually pretty damn good. Surprised me that he got the Clark Kent voice just right. He really comes off as 'mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent' imo. The REAL problem with Cavill's Superman is the way he's been directed by Zack Snyder.

>"Okay Henry, now stand there and look as depressed and emotionless as possible. There. Now THAT'S inspiring!"

Oh fuck off. I didn't even like BvS but Cavill has potential.

Reeve: best chin, proper S-curl.

Reeve for both, but I believe Cavill could top him if he were directed by someone competent at directing actors and not action set pieces.

You can't say "Reeves" when referring to Christopher Reeve, dude, because that refers to George