Why do american midwest suburbs look so comfy yet so depressing at the same time?

Why do american midwest suburbs look so comfy yet so depressing at the same time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AKRA7weVyLs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I grew up in one, pic related, it's my old town, Downers Grove, a suburb of Chicago.

Basically, they ARE both comfy and depressing. We get all four seasons pretty clearly, it's usually below freezing for most of winter with a fair amount of snow. The springs are warm and rainy, and the summers can be hot and humid. The falls are crisp and colorful.

Another thing that's nice is having fairly large yards, my parents' house goes about 100m from the street to the back of the property line. My parents grew a beautiful garden including some vegetables and the back was almost forest like, my sister maintains two beehives in back for honey. There are plenty of public parks, too.

The house is walking distance to the urbanized downtown, mostly a few restaurants and small shops. There's also a commuter rail line that's 30-50 minutes of a ride into the center of Chicago (depending on if you get an express).

At the same time, it can definitely be a bit depressing. The winters are quite harsh, plus it can turn into bland suburbia. Even being close to the downtown, it's a solely residential neighborhood and can lack character. You're not really a short walk to a grocery store, restaurant, etc. You have to drive several minutes to get anywhere. Outside of commuter rail, public transit is a joke. There's no nightlife to speak of, most things are geared at families or retirees.

I spent 2.5 years living in a mid sized city in the mountain west and now I live in the city of Chicago (as opposed to the burbs), and there are definitely some things I miss about my suburb but there are definitely things I like better about where I live now, same with my town out west.

Hopefully that gives you an idea.

It's a symbol of the now dead American dream

>it's a solely residential neighborhood and can lack character
Forgot to add, the further you get from the downtown (and the train station), the worse it gets in that regard. You get more and more of that "North American suburban hell" look, those extremely cookie cutter subdivisions where everything looks the same like pic related.

they look comfy because they legitimately are. they look depressing because american media (New York City and Hollywood urbanites) portray them negatively.

>they look depressing because american media (New York City and Hollywood urbanites) portray them negatively
I've seen plenty of movies where they're portrayed nicely. A pretty good chunk of America lives in those and they make some movies to be relatable to people.

John Hughes movies are a bit old but a good example, they're mostly set in the Chicago suburbs.

it's one of those things you hate as a teenager, but i massively prefer living in one now

cities are too crowded and rural areas are too empty, suburbs are in the goldilocks zone for me now now. this might be an affect of living in the internet era, though. i might think differently if i couldn't just access the world by going to a computer.

Come for the cozy craftsman houses, stay because you are now an unemployed heroine addict

because the are depressing

dense cities and the middle of nowhere are the only two good places to live in the US

ur a fucking pleb

>cities are too crowded
Some urban neighborhoods are a happy medium. I live in Rogers Park in Chicago and it's denser than my suburb but it's still fairly quiet, it doesn't have that "hustle and bustle" feel that a lot of the city does. It's also a lot easier to get what I want/need quickly. I'm like a 5 minute walk away from a grocery store, a pizzeria, a few restaurants, and a liquor store. Plus I'm a 5 minute walk from the CTA red line so I can go to the center of Chicago whenever I want.

R8 my suburb m8s

I swear I've been there. Are you in Darien, IL?

That house on the left needs more windows and a fence to block the ugly ass wall

Welcome to the world of McMansion subdivisons.

because there aren't any kids running around anymore

Those are not mcmansiosn
Lol im in the north east

I love the views of American suburbs. I really want to move to America if they are not strict with Asian immigrants but they seem to be so...

The guy who owns the house on left
is asian

Nobody cares about Japanese immigrants. We're too busy worrying about the Chinese and Indians.

It's hard to get here from developed countries, though. I have friends from western Europe who have considered moving here and even then it's hard.

He can literally just apply for the visa lottery and probably get in from lack of competition alone. It's not like the Japanese are lining up to come to the US currently.

They are alright. Here is where I grew up. Not sure I want to move back.

looks like straight from a psycho thriller

Impending doom

r8 my neighbourhood lads

Pic related

GIB A HOUSE IN SUBURB COLORADO NOW

Looks nice

because it is very comfy in regards to cost of living and crime but it's depressing because there's fuck all to do

Colorado looks nothing like this. You want Indiana or Iowa or something.

But I want one in the mountain states

Kek. That house looks like something from The Sims when I didn't have enough money.

the cheapest is valued at 500k m8

>nobody cares about japs
>BUT the chinese!!1

They literally all rook the same dumbass

Looks shit. Not enough trees. Where are you from so I stay far away from that city/town :)

>has massive house
>portable house in driveway

never change upper middle class.

India knows what's up, don't move to shitholes like Indiana or Iowa, those places are fucking flat, boring, and UGLY. COLORADO MASTER RACE.

can confirm. Iowa is god tier comfy. -40 degree winters kind of suck though.

>he doesn't enjoy getting frostbite and larping as a Viking outside of a cheap gas station

but I do though. the grain alcohol keeps me warm.
also
>larp
probably the only time that term has been used correctly on this website.

I live in a suburb of a desert state. It's much worse than OP's pic, it's depressing but there's only hot and not that hot with no trees whatsoever.

>cheap gas station
Why not keep warm with a slice of Hunt Brothers® Pizza

nah dude. Casey's general store is where its at for pizza that you'll eat while drunk and regret the next day.

Nice snow in the asphalt it'd be mad to do skids on it. The single day it snowed in Santiago I had my car in the shop, feels bad man.

I actually stopped at one a few weeks ago when I was driving through the midwest for work. The pizza wasn't bad but it didn't strike me as particularly good either. Just kinda average.

>wasn't bad but it didn't strike me as particularly good either. Just kinda average.

thats an accurate description of most of the midwest.

The American midwest gives me a strange nostalgic feeling despite never having been there.
I think American media has made it seem like the most "normal" place in the world or something.
Also there is a sense things were better in the past. I don't know if that is true.

youtube.com/watch?v=AKRA7weVyLs

I'm from the south (specifically Memphis). Here we believe that if you're going to be trash then you might as well be as trashy as goddamn possible.

Case in point.

can relate