Reboot trilogy about super intelligent apes becoming the dominant species

>reboot trilogy about super intelligent apes becoming the dominant species
>somehow manages to be consistently good and compelling, with one of the best/most developed movie protagonists in a long time

What went so right?

Other urls found in this thread:

redstate.com/bradslager/2017/07/12/simian-ever-black-lives-matter-opposes-planet-apes/
youtube.com/watch?v=SXkpCGwN31Y
youtube.com/watch?v=bQQYdo10_3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=taq3LwjWBkY
youtube.com/watch?v=hrOolK1KjVs
youtu.be/HsxS_M7YIMI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It wasn't made by Sony.

Is the new movie monkino? I liked the first two

It had the best creature CGI I've ever seen definitely. There were a few points where it looks like they dropped frames or something, but it was pretty fucking good otherwise.

>deus ex machina ending

user...

The cg for this movie really was amazing. I didn't even mind the over abundance of close ups that were only there to show it off more.

>not understanding the moses allegory

We should get BLM to get mad about a white actor playing the lead in these.

The only good thing about these movies is the mo-cap

New one is very good, but I think Dawn is better

They're already upset about it user
>redstate.com/bradslager/2017/07/12/simian-ever-black-lives-matter-opposes-planet-apes/

Yeah it's good, if you liked the first two you should like War too.

This
Dawn>War>Rise
But Rise is still an 8.5/10 as far as blockbusters go

>Tfw he says NO

>mfw

I honestly think Rise does not get enough credit. Caesar had a ton of development there and I honestly liked James Franco in the film.

It was a great coming of age story for Caesar.

Solid writing and direction. Great performances didn't hurt either.

>>redstate.com/bradslager/2017/07/12/simian-ever-black-lives-matter-opposes-planet-apes/
Their chimping out over an ape movie, you cant make this shit up!

Rise is good but its CGI has not aged very well, when you watch it along with the other two.
Caesar looks convincingly real maybe 40% of the time, and the other apes are all way less polished, they often look like video game characters.

Whereas in both Dawn and War I'd say all of the apes look real 90% of the time.

Who is the best reboot antagonist and why is it Koba?

>you will never again be in a laughter filled cinema when that iconic "paws off me" were said ONLY to be silenced a milisecond later when Caesar said "NO"
Its the moment when I fell in love with the series. Kino.

>Haha! They made a funny reference to the old mo-
>"NO!"
>MFW

its weaker than the 2nd for sure

youtube.com/watch?v=SXkpCGwN31Y

well the third movie was pointless.
the old series sequels had decent ideas but mediocre execution, so the reboots were finally something that had the potential to be improved, and it was for the first two

IT'S APEKINO YOU PLEB

>175 views

Fuck off

>caring about views
do you just watch psy, bieber, and despacito on repeat

Favorite of the trilogy?
Favorite characters?
Favorite scenes?

>Favorite of the trilogy?
Love them all. Can't decide. They all had something
>Favorite characters?
Caesar is obvious, but I loved Koba, Rocket and Maurice. All of Caesar's human friends were pretty cool too. Rocket doesn't get enough love.
>Favorite scenes?
"NO!"
Apes go to War
The entire prison camp act in War

>consistently good and compelling

But War was a shitpile cashgrab.

Father Aperaham

dawn
caesar, maurice, gary oldman was pretty good, woody harrelson
NO, caesar getting the grain in war, caesar's death, koba shoots caesar, caesar kills koba, koba kills the two guards

>No favorite tracks

youtube.com/watch?v=bQQYdo10_3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=taq3LwjWBkY
youtube.com/watch?v=hrOolK1KjVs

What is it about Sony that makes them such a great punching bag? I really can't get enough of it.

Never cared about Planet of the Apes. Decided to watch Rises on a random night last week. Watched Dawn, immediately went to the theater for War. These are great movies. Very consistent in quality. Dawn is better than War but it's 9.5 vs an 8.9. We need more movies like these.

Even though they have positive acclaim and make decent money, this series feels underappreciated. I don't see much hype or discussion about them. Makes me a little sad.

They can't do anything right but retards and subhumans keep holding them up.

Dont listen to the others.
War was a very run of the mill waste of time, ripoff of the story of Passover from the Old Testament.

They didn't go for the memes.

They're good. There's not much room for shitposting so they don't get discussed on here.

I think it's the apes.
People find it hard to root for live action non-human characters in serious roles.
If it were pointless action and jokes like transformers It would be a popular.
But people aren't going to want to take this seriously.

youtu.be/HsxS_M7YIMI

>good goyim, eat that great replacement allegory up

i hated the new one desu
everything felt like it took 3x longer to happen because we had to deal with sign language and close ups of the apes faces constantly

Oh yeah that was so lame. It was like half of the movie was an Infamous 2 custom level.

These are good points. There's also the lack of waifuable characters.

>WAR for the planet of the apes
>only 1 monkey vs human fight at beginning
>final fight is between human armies while apes run away
I like the movie but this was no war

the plot wasn't really compelling at all imo either
>humans hunting out apes
>crazy military bad guy kills family
>protagonist gets revenge with help of colorful posse
>something about a virus turning people into apes??
lameeee

In another thread it was mentioned Reeves didn't even want that to be the title, it is pretty misleading

Can I understand it but still think it wasn't well done? That avalanche was lame as hell.

I was hoping the invaders were actually apes as silly as that would be. It was kind of a let down.

It was great, but it didn't do what Dawn so did so well. Dawn had a lot of unpredictable things happen.
War felt pretty safe. You knew from his monologue how Colonel would end up

>What went so right?
Well I mean its really hard to do worse than the original Planet of the Ape sequels.

The series had already been squeezed dry already so there was nowhere to go but up

>What went so right?

They did re-make the right way. They removed the cheesiness of original Planet of the Apes sequels without removing core ideas of the source material. Original Planet of the Apes was a brilliant movie and same applies to first sequel. Three following sequels and TV-show were made with lower budgets and became cheesefest. Re-boot didn't try to redo two good movies, but make updated and more serious version of three not so good ones.

I enjoyed War but i think its the least consistent of the trilogy. War was filled with a lot of dumb moments like convenient underground tunnels they can dig through with no problem and shitty guards and the avalanche.

So where does it go from here? A full remake of the original?

dumbass plebs
Dawn is still bettter, but War is great.
In rank this trilogy is almost like reverse Back to the Future

Caesar is home.

There are a lot of different routes they can take with the next movie, I really don't know what to expect.

>So where does it go from here? A full remake of the original?

Honestly I don't think they should do that. First two movies are actual classics. Re-make of first movie failed with Tim Burton and Mark Wahlberg not that long ago. First sequel was a lot about nuclear paranoia and that wouldn't work now as well as it did during Cold War.

IMHO better option would be making straight sequel leading with our heroes becoming corrupted leading to ape run dictatorship or leaving now as winner before sequels become schlock like it happened with original Planet of the Apes movies. War already quipped bit to much on names and shieet.

Pic related needs to happen next

So why did the Colonel insist on killing all infected instead of just quarantining them? Especially since the movie said there was possibly a cure?

Furthermore it is understandable to fear the apes due to their increased strength, but couldn't Apes and humans coexist in a society that more highly valued intelligence (like todays) over strength? (especially when human numbers should still be far superior)

Was there another reason this could not happen?
Help me bros

>So why did the Colonel insist on killing all infected instead of just quarantining them? Especially since the movie said there was possibly a cure?
Did you miss that bit of all humanity basically dying to the Simian Flu?

>Did you miss that bit of all humanity basically dying to the Simian Flu?

I don't see how this makes a difference, quarantine should have the same effect as execution without causing a significant rift in the human community

you people are fucking kidding me

this is literally the only thing that manages to be worst than capeshit

>favorite film
Dawn
>favorite characters
Maurice and Gary Oldman
>favorite scene
When Gary Oldman was looking at old pictures

Disclaimer: I really don't watch movies (last one before this one was probably a year ago) and haven't watched the other 2 previous movies.
I just thought the movie was boring. The comedy relief character was lame imo (though I'll admit the theater was cracking up) and the girl with the apes seemed like a stupid inclusion, as why would anyone ever join the apes. I did like the colonel getting infected and thought it was well executed with good foreshadowing, but the rest of the ending was trash. An avalanche killing off hundreds of soldiers? Give me a break.
7/10 almost slept through it like the guy next to me

>tfw realizing that Maurice will be the one to be corrupted instead of Caesar and will order humanity to be enslaved
Such a great character

>and the girl with the apes seemed like a stupid inclusion, as why would anyone ever join the apes
Did you pay attention? They explained why she was so understanding and comfortable with the apes.

I thought it was kind of fucked up how they gunned down the little girl's father, took her in and now she's pretty much the first one of the human slaves the apes will end up having like they do in the original.

Only good movie in the trilogy was Rise. War was poorly thought out and was trying too hard. I mean really? Holocaust-Slavery-Jesus-Moses all in one movie? come on guys

Amy Pascal still not fired.

Who am I supposed to root for? Why would I want the humans dead?

>Why would I want the humans dead?
Because they're assholes.

What will the next movie be about ?

Lost Mars mission crew returning back to Earth and coming out of their prolonged sleep only to witness an Ape Roman-like society with muted slaves humans only 70 years later ?

I can already predict the plot. Captain of the mission want to use the nuclear reactor of the ship to nuke Apolis. Young female scientist have her husband (crew's surgeon) die while helping Apes. She falls in love with a big gorilla, bestiality ensues.

Name the actors and actress.

I consider it a silent war? Against not the Apes themselves, but against the Simian flu.

>gorilla
Michael B Jordan
>Captain
Charlston Heston badly CG'd
>Husband
Jonah Hill
>Female scientist
Emma Stone

You know I LOVED Rise but was kinda bummed with Dawn and tired of Hollywood sequelitis. This thread has made me want to see War though. It's a fun series.

Honestly, i loved the movie. One thing bothered me though, which you could attribute to the Simian flu's resurgence.

Why were everyones scouts so fucking shit?
Ceasar and his posse somehow follow a military convoy on horses? A little girl and an ape just walk into a military base lol.

Especially considering the humans were supposed to be on high alert all the time. And it was weird that Apes didn't have scouts on tress everywhere.

Other than that, it was a cool movie.

>Female scientiist
>not Jessica Chastain

This was my main issue with the movie
Had me feeling conflicted the entire time and frustrated

Did we watch the same movie?
"Hey guys, let's build this base under the mountain and add some fuel canisters here and there so that a one granade can blow this all up.
Oh, I almost forgot - under no circumstances patrol the cages. I mean these smart apes that are threat to humanity are to be guarded by one soldier only and no one else may even look the same direction until morning.
In case there is a movement in front of the base, just ignore it. After all we're all just waiting for an all-out attack - surely there's no need to guard the entrance.
What? Tanks and helicopters? All right, let's build a wall. It must stop them and can't be destroyed by the first rocket.
Oh and I almost forgot - that little girl is a soldier too. She's highly skilled ninja that can be seen in light.
That reminds me - the disease doesn't make us just mute, but blind and fucking retarded.

Good, but not as good as dawn. It's very significant story-wise so I'd definitely see it.

APES... TOGETHER... STRONG!

>Favourite
Dawn, without a doubt. It's got everything.

>Characters
Rocket, he's had a very cool redemption arc from bully to hero. Koba, for being a sympathetic, intelligent villain who's fucking scary as well. Maurice for being the ultimate bro. Caeser is the rock that the other characters are build on, he's stoic and grounded, maybe a bit bland compared to the others, but everything else rests on him.

>Scenes
Rise: "NO"
Dawn: Koba throwing that other chimp off a balcony and his speech afterwards. Really tense and drove home Koba's coup and corruption of Caesar's message.
War: The night raid. Visually amazing, the shot of the night vision goggle lights descending behind the waterfall was awesome. Also establishes the Colonel as a huge threat.

I don't think you're really supposed to root for anyone. You're supposed to feel sad for the humans who more or less brought this on themselves and the apes, who were just an unfortunate side effect of human fuckery, just trying to get away and survive.

Nah, the reboot series takes place on the opposite side of the country to the original. It's obviously set up as its own thing.

>tfw he's dead

Yeah, it was pretty contrived. The character moments were still great, but the writing wasn't as good as the previous two.

I don't see it. It'd be more likely to be Maurice's son that feels jealous of the attention his father gives Nova or some shit.

is he?

The terms like Donkey for apes allied with the humans made it super great. The line about "What of you is there left to save?" was super strong as well as the resulting donkey taking the execution bullet at the end without flinching.

Woody Harrellson was still strong even if it was another retelling of Colonel Kurtz.

tl;dr Colonel Kurtz v Moses was pretty gud

There was a scene in the original script where the Colonel mentioned he'd killed Jason Clarke. That's as much as we'll ever find out about it I guess.

Dawn
Maurice
Koba acting dumb to get a machine gun.
The quiet scenes of nature taking over things in Dawn and War.

So not confirmed, but more than likely.

It's good, still on the same level as the first two. However it dialed up the corn and cheese, handwaves a little more, has more plot convenience, and injects some humor. It is also the bleakest of the three so there's that. Still worth seeing, still a satisfying watch.

Dawn > Rise > War.